Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:34 pm 
First XI
First XI

shropswolf wrote:
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Cally wrote:
I genuinely haven’t been this upset by a result in a long time. It wasn’t just the defeat, it was the manner of it. I honestly, I can’t see how we’re going to keep up the momentum to stay top 2. The teams around us have all hit form at the right time and we’ve been wavering for weeks. I know it was inevitable that we would hit a rough patch, but we’re so so close and I can see it being snatched away, I really can. Fair play to anyone who can stay positive after last night. I don’t think we’ll manage this. In 2009 we got out of jail because the other teams were also dropping points, this year it ain’t happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We need 6 wins Cally. 94 points should just about get us up. 10 games to go. I am writing off Cardiff and Middlesborough as defeats. We then play 7 out of the bottom 8 teams, plus Derby. Perhaps we can get 18 points out of these. 6 points from our next two home matches would be an enormous boost. Surely Villa and Cardiff will drop points soon?

Still not sure 94 points will necessary do it unless we start boosting our GD.

Villa can hit 99 and I really don't see them losing 2 matches in their form and with their momentum. Yesterday was the huge chance to halt them and now they've come through that and come through it with a real confidence boost.

Cardiff would have to lose 10 points over 10 games. If you are assuming we will lose to Cardiff though, who are they going to drop 10 points to? They play Villa, OK, but then?

Tbh with Cardiff they are not obliterating teams but scraping through with odd goal victories. I will be surprised if that continues. Fair to say if we can beat them then that could change the outlook but I have written that game off in my own mind. Hope to god I am wrong in thay respect.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
We need 6 wins Cally. 94 points should just about get us up. 10 games to go. I am writing off Cardiff and Middlesborough as defeats. We then play 7 out of the bottom 8 teams, plus Derby. Perhaps we can get 18 points out of these. 6 points from our next two home matches would be an enormous boost. Surely Villa and Cardiff will drop points soon?

Still not sure 94 points will necessary do it unless we start boosting our GD.

Villa can hit 99 and I really don't see them losing 2 matches in their form and with their momentum. Yesterday was the huge chance to halt them and now they've come through that and come through it with a real confidence boost.

Cardiff would have to lose 10 points over 10 games. If you are assuming we will lose to Cardiff though, who are they going to drop 10 points to? They play Villa, OK, but then?

Tbh with Cardiff they are not obliterating teams but scraping through with odd goal victories. I will be surprised if that continues. Fair to say if we can beat them then that could change the outlook but I have written that game off in my own mind. Hope to god I am wrong in thay respect.

A win's a win and Cardiff are providing plenty of them. I wish we had closed out the Norwich game as professionally as they do in their matches.

Fulham didn't obliterate Preston either yesterday, but they pushed right to the end and got the 3 points. We flapped around up there against 10 men for half an hour without ever forcing a real save and took home just a point.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We didn't get the rub of the green with some of the decisions but in the end Villa were prepared to shoot and we seemed unwilling to do so. We were carrying a few players and I don't agree that we would have won that 6 times out of 10. I think Batth was shown up as not good enough, he was done for pace several times and aimlessly gave the ball away a number of times. That just doesn't fit our play. I was surprised that he wasn't substituted at half time.

Bonatini had been great for the first half of the season but he is playing as a shadow of himself at the moment. he has lost confidence and the ability to control the ball, it is bouncing off him now and not sticking at all. He is not finding the lay offs or the shooting opportunities that he was. I would have said that we play better as a team with him until a few matches ago but that is not the case now. He should have been subbed at half time too.

We have two home games against bottom half teams now. We really should take 6 points but I'm not holding my breath. If we end up in the play offs we will most likely lose to one of Middlesboro, Fulham or Villa on current form. I want to keep the faith but it's bloody hard this morning.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
We didn't get the rub of the green with some of the decisions but in the end Villa were prepared to shoot and we seemed unwilling to do so. We were carrying a few players and I don't agree that we would have won that 6 times out of 10. I think Batth was shown up as not good enough, he was done for pace several times and aimlessly gave the ball away a number of times. That just doesn't fit our play. I was surprised that he wasn't substituted at half time.

Bonatini had been great for the first half of the season but he is playing as a shadow of himself at the moment. he has lost confidence and the ability to control the ball, it is bouncing off him now and not sticking at all. He is not finding the lay offs or the shooting opportunities that he was. I would have said that we play better as a team with him until a few matches ago but that is not the case now. He should have been subbed at half time too.

We have two home games against bottom half teams now. We really should take 6 points but I'm not holding my breath. If we end up in the play offs we will most likely lose to one of Middlesboro, Fulham or Villa on current form. I want to keep the faith but it's bloody hard this morning.

Despite DB being attacked on his side of the pitch from the outset and shown to be lacking in pace, idea and needlessly giving the ball away; I thought we were good enough first half and strung some nice passes together. N'Daya (sp.) often over hit his long passes to the flanks which was frustrating and we seemed to try to put trickery over the simple pass and shoot mentality required. Jota kept slipping over (don't they have more than one pair of different length studded boots nowadays to change into).

Their first was a Sunday League goalmouth scramble which some reporter on the BBC compared to our first goal which in my opinion was a world above in class with Doherty's first time nutmeg and lethal cross. Okay, so Jota had to scramble it in somewhat, but they all count. I was still confident at half time that it would only be a matter of time before our class shone through and we would win - just as I had predicted 1-3.

On my TV screen, I saw Miranda with his tracksuit top off and warming up just after half time and it appeared logical to me that he would replace DB, but it didn't happen, they again got a toe on the end of a ball and 2-1. From there, it all went downhill and the substitutions again didn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, it is history now, but a painful lesson all the same as I still don't think that Villa are any great shakes even if they did give us a thumping yesterday. Onwards and upwards. It was often said of us in the past that 'this team is too good to get relegated' and now, it is, 'this team is too good not to get promoted' - perhaps.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:57 pm 
First XI
First XI

Left back wrote:

Agreed. 100%

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Both Jota and Saiss now have to get through the Reading game without a card or 2 game bans await.

FFS. It wouldn't be the end of the world if Saiss got booked, but despite being off key, we need Jota to avoid a booking. So, if either avoid a yellow tomorrow night, then they'll be fine for the rest of the season, barring any reds? I presume that Nuno knows the score...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Only just watched TV.

How on earth were both penalties miss by ref at 3-1??

The assault on Doherty was bad enough (and obvious), and the handball unbelievable - what on earth was Coote watching?

I hope he looks back at game and is ashamed of those misses.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I think Saturday will serve our lads very well as a lesson to learn.
Villa park was a cauldron and according to my Villa supporting Grandson,their players
were more than up for it than at any time this season.
I don't usually comment on referee's,but coote was pathertic.Two penalties missed and
unwarranted yellow cards.
With a competent ref,we would not have lost that game.
For those that have been banging on about "in Nuno we trust",trust isn't when
everything is going fine,trust is when you still have belief through adversity.
I still believe Nuno will pull them back together.
The Championship is a tough old league,if they didn't know how tough the back end of
the season can be,they do now.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:09 pm 
First XI
First XI

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Only just watched TV.

How on earth were both penalties miss by ref at 3-1??

The assault on Doherty was bad enough (and obvious), and the handball unbelievable - what on earth was Coote watching?

I hope he looks back at game and is ashamed of those misses.

You're not wrong mate. It sounds like sour grapes but it isn't in reality. Coote was awful in respect of the penalty shouts. 3-2 and Villa would be on the defensive. 3-3 and they would have been "shifting bricks". I would love to hear his version of events. Incompetent.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies