Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 am 
Manager
Manager

Tuesday 13th March 2018 at quarter to eight in the evening.

Next up Reading as Wolves face another passing side who struggle to score goals at times.

One change for me after the Villa game, Ryan Bennett for Danny Batth. Otherwise much the same in the hope come the big moments they go our way.

What a season this is turning out to be, love it.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves vs Reading
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am 
Manager
Manager

Stating the obvious but this is a MUST WIN. :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:

No, its a game we will win

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Massive week ahead for Nuno. He needs to pick his best team for two huge games against sides we simply have to beat. If he persists with Danny boy, he'll be cutting his own throat and worse, plus he has a big decision to make with regards Ruddy, who is now a rabbit caught in the headlights.

We need to get back to those Sheff Utd and Brentford performances. We MUST be more clinical in front of goal, and stop passing the ball for passing-sake. Neves is back, and hopefully we'll settle down again with his calming influence, but first of all massive selection decisions to be made by Nuno. Make or break time.

We must beat Reading and Burton with convincing, confident performances, time for every player to stand up and be counted.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

A very bad 45 minutes saw us torn apart defensively. Batth was very poor and I doubt that he'll play for Nuno again after that hapless effort from him yesterday. Ruddy too is looking nervous and lacking confidence, Bonatini was non existent at times, Jota has been poor for weeks. So, roll the changes for me for the next two games, both at home.

Batth out - Bennett back in.

Afobe in for Bonatini.

Norris in for Ruddy.

Costa to start ahead of Jota.

Time to be brave against two struggling sides in Reading and Burton, they will have ten men behind the ball, so early goals will put us on the front foot and hopefully breed confidence. Win these two games and the pressure eases considerably.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:30 am 
Manager
Manager

I'd think about bringing Saiss into the defence. If Reading and Burton are going to set up to have 11 men behind the ball, I'd play Saiss and have him to bring the ball out from the back

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
I'd think about bringing Saiss into the defence. If Reading and Burton are going to set up to have 11 men behind the ball, I'd play Saiss and have him to bring the ball out from the back

Decent shout. It will be interesting to see if Nuno sticks or twists. I hope he can accept that he's made selection and tactical mistakes, as opposed to being stubborn.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:

What about Miranda? Saiss still has to get through Reading without a booking.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
toomb wrote:

When did Miranda last play, Cardiff at home? I'm not sure who I'd play if I had to, him or Batth?! Just put Bennet back in, and as for Jota, I guess he must play but surely Nuno will instruct him not to not anything silly and draw fouls instead of dishing them out. To be fair, compared to someone like Sheff Weds, we've been lucky with injuries and suspensions.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
shropswolf wrote:
toomb wrote:

When did Miranda last play, Cardiff at home? I'm not sure who I'd play if I had to, him or Batth?! Just put Bennet back in, and as for Jota, I guess he must play but surely Nuno will instruct him not to not anything silly and draw fouls instead of dishing them out. To be fair, compared to someone like Sheff Weds, we've been lucky with injuries and suspensions.

Villa have had it far worse as well to be fair. Main striker out for the rest of the season and Terry was missing for an extended spell. They would probably be much closer to us now if not for that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Embers wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

Villa have had it far worse as well to be fair. Main striker out for the rest of the season and Terry was missing for an extended spell. They would probably be much closer to us now if not for that.

Fair point. I'm surprised that they've become contenders, chalk and cheese our two games with them.

Last edited by Embers on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Team selection for this game will be interesting. Nuno's got some big calls to make.

I'd go with Norris between the sticks now. Ruddy looks shot, maybe that Norwich foul up has really knocked his confidence.

Back 3 of Bennett, Coady and Boly. Batth isn't good enough a footballer to play in this system, simple as that really.

There's possibly a case for Vinagre to get a run out, but he's looked a bit error prone in previous outings so I'd probably stick with Douglas and Doherty as wing backs. Douglas' set piece deliveries could be very useful even if he's not getting up and down the pitch as much as he has previously.

Neves and Saiss in the centre pick themselves. I was quite surprised Saiss was dropped at Villa and proved to be a poor decision. Easy in hindsight though ain't it?

Jota, Cav and Costa up top for me. Not convinced by Afobe and Bonatini isn't having much of an impact of late.

Reading were well in the game in the reverse fixture so don't think this is a gimme at all, especially with the pressure being cranked up as it is now.

Prediction: Wolves 3 - 2 Reading.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
Team selection for this game will be interesting. Nuno's got some big calls to make.

I'd go with Norris between the sticks now. Ruddy looks shot, maybe that Norwich foul up has really knocked his confidence.

Back 3 of Bennett, Coady and Boly. Batth isn't good enough a footballer to play in this system, simple as that really.

There's possibly a case for Vinagre to get a run out, but he's looked a bit error prone in previous outings so I'd probably stick with Douglas and Doherty as wing backs. Douglas' set piece deliveries could be very useful even if he's not getting up and down the pitch as much as he has previously.

Neves and Saiss in the centre pick themselves. I was quite surprised Saiss was dropped at Villa and proved to be a poor decision. Easy in hindsight though ain't it?

Jota, Cav and Costa up top for me. Not convinced by Afobe and Bonatini isn't having much of an impact of late.

Reading were well in the game in the reverse fixture so don't think this is a gimme at all, especially with the pressure being cranked up as it is now.

Prediction: Wolves 3 - 2 Reading.

I'd go with that selection. Surely we can beat a side who let that woeful Leeds outfit score twice?

COYW

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kin Wolves fans have the collective firmness of three jellyfish with the shits :roll: , grow a pair yow lot and stop arsing about, wim gooin up as champions everyone else knows that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Kin Wolves fans have the collective firmness of three jellyfish with the shits :roll: , grow a pair yow lot and stop arsing about, wim gooin up as champions everyone else knows that.

The man doth protest too much, methinks. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:

Ar guess will see this wik, if ower lads ave the collective firmness of three jellyfish with the shits.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:26 am 
Manager
Manager

Huge few games coming up. We simply need three wins and a draw (probably against Middlesbrough) because I really don't think we have what it takes right now to beat Derby and Cardiff.

Clubs chasing us, and catching. Other clubs fighting relegation with all they have got and one more derby game where anything can happen.

Nuno needs to get us firing because right now we look only game away from falling out of the top spot and only a few more from doing a Dave Jones.

Should we go out in the playoffs, I wonder what the FFP implications will be prior to next season.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am 
First XI
First XI

Embers wrote:
Massive week ahead for Nuno. He needs to pick his best team for two huge games against sides we simply have to beat. If he persists with Danny boy, he'll be cutting his own throat and worse, plus he has a big decision to make with regards Ruddy, who is now a rabbit caught in the headlights.

We need to get back to those Sheff Utd and Brentford performances. We MUST be more clinical in front of goal, and stop passing the ball for passing-sake. Neves is back, and hopefully we'll settle down again with his calming influence, but first of all massive selection decisions to be made by Nuno. Make or break time.

We must beat Reading and Burton with convincing, confident performances, time for every player to stand up and be counted.

I think by now we could all pick Nuno's starting 11 with maybe just the odd exception. It's when he starts subbing I get a bit bemused. Take the Villa match. Why take off Jota and Cavaleiro but leave the totally ineffective Bonatini on the field? Then to replace Danny Batth with Saiss? Baffling.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:

But a bit of a bad run is good for the Forum as folk like a good moan. :wink:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

With respect, KK, although not mathematically a 'must-win', I think psychologically it is. After our recent run - Leeds apart - to drop more points would do nothing for confidence!

We HAVE to find a way to have more chances and shots. Against Villa, we played some great stuff, but rarely troubled their 'dodgy' keeper. We MUST test the Reading guy MUCH more often, and stop trying to walk it in.... (Bit like Arsenal in their really good 'bad old days'.)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

With respect, KK, although not mathematically a 'must-win', I think psychologically it is. After our recent run - Leeds apart - to drop more points would do nothing for confidence!

We HAVE to find a way to have more chances and shots. Against Villa, we played some great stuff, but rarely troubled their 'dodgy' keeper. We MUST test the Reading guy MUCH more often, and stop trying to walk it in.... (Bit like Arsenal in their really good 'bad old days'.)

I agree fully...with the form of the pack we still need seven wins...Cardiff,Derby and Middlesbrough do not seem that easy and so the other seven are must wins...we need the momentum and rebuilding the goal difference with big wins over reading and Burton....anything less will be very worrying.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

A wounded Wolf is a dangerous animal.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

I agree, 6 points needed against 2 sides that have been poor this year, dropping anything against these 2 wouldn't help the nerves at all

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

Mathematically no, but mentally I think it is, young Knocker.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

Mathematically we require 8 wins from the final 10 games to ensure going up.

Do you really want to have to win away at Boro and/or Cardiff?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Actually its not.

I anticipate a very strong finish to the season from Wolves which will see them secure automatic promotion.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Actually its not.

I anticipate a very strong finish to the season from Wolves which will see them secure automatic promotion.

On current form whoever goes up will have had a very strong finish to the season. No gifts this time round - under McCarthy 84 points would have done.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I anticipate Wolves getting promoted early and using the last few matches as a kickabout.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
I anticipate Wolves getting promoted early and using the last few matches as a kickabout.

I admire your persistence here Rozza :lol:

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies