Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:13 am 
Manager
Manager

As much as I enjoyed Wolves playing 3-4-3 last season I dont like the changes which to me seem to have damaged the systems effectiveness.

Both vertically and horizontally the spacing seems all wrong.

Saiss and Douglas may have been replaced by better players but their value to others seems to have been decreased.

Nuno now has the challenge of taking Wolves from a lessor position than last season by working on the new players qualities to advance the whole unit.

I do fear for Wolves and Neves in particular until the work on the training field enables Wolves to show their worth.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:47 am 
First XI
First XI

Yesterday we played against a very very good Everton team, packed with quality and, most importantly, Premier League experience.
We looked exactly what we are. Inexperienced Premier League newcomers trying to bed in four new players.
Everton are way above any team we faced in the Championship. We did well to come from behind twice with two super goals.
It will takes us a ten to a dozen games to get up to speed. Our wing-backs have to learn to cross the ball or they will suffer the consequencies. Our system relies on that. Our central defenders have to sharpen up a bit. Midfield isn't a concern with two little maestros working away. Jiminez looks a proper striker. We need Cav, Dendoncker, and Traore fit and in the team.
Nuno has highlighted defence as needing lots of work before the next match. I was surprised how Patricio failed to command his area.

It's a long hard road but we will improve as the days go on.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Yesterday we played against a very very good Everton team, packed with quality and, most importantly, Premier League experience.
We looked exactly what we are. Inexperienced Premier League newcomers trying to bed in four new players.
Everton are way above any team we faced in the Championship. We did well to come from behind twice with two super goals.
It will takes us a ten to a dozen games to get up to speed. Our wing-backs have to learn to cross the ball or they will suffer the consequencies. Our system relies on that. Our central defenders have to sharpen up a bit. Midfield isn't a concern with two little maestros working away. Jiminez looks a proper striker. We need Cav, Dendoncker, and Traore fit and in the team.
Nuno has highlighted defence as needing lots of work before the next match. I was surprised how Patricio failed to command his area.

It's a long hard road but we will improve as the days go on.

Yep, agree with all of that Deano, and hopefully the result and perhaps underestimated quality of the opposition will dampen the silly expectations of some supporters. Both goals we conceded were down to bad defending, in different ways, but hopefully Nuno will review the game and see how we need to sharpen up our act. Everton looked more savvy, but if we can learn from this game, it will stand us in good stead as the season progresses.

Overall, we have seen that in this league you need to be mentally sharper, and have to take whatever chances you make. Overall, I enjoyed the game and the occasion, and I'm happy with a point despite playing agianst 10 men for a half.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:38 am 
Manager
Manager

I also agree with Deano`s appraisal. I think we got out of jail a bit there. There were a lot of nerves out there but we will get better. Only one game but Jiminez looks a great acquisition.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
I also agree with Deano`s appraisal. I think we got out of jail a bit there. There were a lot of nerves out there but we will get better. Only one game but Jiminez looks a great acquisition.

On the other hand..... Everton got out of jail because we didn't have the confidence or experience to press forward and punish them when they were rightly down to ten men.

Work in progress. Nuno needs to, and no doubt will, realise that in the big leagues, the opposition are fitter, better organised, and will close down or simple let us pass sideways until they are ready to pounce.

From his bag of tricks, he needs to find a direct approach to goal when the circumstances demand that style of football. We will not be able to pass it in any more.

We will get there.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
As much as I enjoyed Wolves playing 3-4-3 last season I dont like the changes which to me seem to have damaged the systems effectiveness.

Saiss and Douglas may have been replaced by better players but their value to others seems to have been decreased.

Nuno now has the challenge of taking Wolves from a lessor position than last season by working on the new players qualities to advance the whole unit.

I do fear for Wolves and Neves in particular until the work on the training field enables Wolves to show their worth.

Sorry kk just can't agree.

The setup and way of play are the same but we're up against better players. The quality of the player is the key to any system.

Nuno has acknowledged that work has to be done so we will have to see if the players learn, adopt, adapt and improve.

It's going to be a lot harder ride than many believe.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:56 am 
First XI
First XI

On an even more positive note, Fulham (the best footballing team in the Championship according to many pundits) got banjaxed by Palace! Cardiff (nobody can cope with their physicality according to pundits) got urinated all over by Bournemouth!

Wolves battled away for a point against an Everton team that I reckon would beat Palace and Bournemouth any day of the week.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 am 
First XI
First XI

warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Sorry kk just can't agree.

The setup and way of play are the same but we're up against better players. The quality of the player is the key to any system.

Nuno has acknowledged that work has to be done so we will have to see if the players learn, adopt, adapt and improve.

It's going to be a lot harder ride than many believe.

Yep. It's our first game with an inexperienced team containing four new players against an established high quality opponent in the toughest league in Europe. It will be hard but it's gonna be hard going for about 12 teams this season.
We still played some good football but need to get the ball into the box with more regularity and quality.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Some nervy touches yesterday by our 'flair' players all across the pitch and in both halves. We lacked the drive or the confidence to attack Everton for a long period in the second half for some reason?

The 'worst' thing wolves did or did not do as it were, was to raise their tempo AGAIN. The teams insistence upon passing the ball backwards and sidewards for no real effect was quite frustrating at times and annoyed me last season too, but WTF do I know.

I dont really see the purpose of a wing back who will not, or cannot cross the ball when they arrive at their intended destination?

Hopefully the result will now prevent some Wolves fans from booking their hotels for the Premiership title victory parade next year around West Park :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Some nervy touches yesterday by our 'flair' players all across the pitch and in both halves. We lacked the drive or the confidence to attack Everton for a long period in the second half for some reason?

The 'worst' thing wolves did or did not do as it were, was to raise their tempo AGAIN. The teams insistence upon passing the ball backwards and sidewards for no real effect was quite frustrating at times and annoyed me last season too, but WTF do I know.

I dont really see the purpose of a wing back who will not, or cannot cross the ball when they arrive at their intended destination?

Hopefully the result will now prevent some Wolves fans from booking their hotels for the Premiership title victory parade next year around West Park :roll:

Good point about the purpose of wing backs, but our two have retreated thirty yards from last season. It will be interesting to see how Nuno deals with that... On a positive note, I've got a cracking deal with Trivago for a long weekend break at the end of the season, at the Park View Hotel, so that I can wave my flag out of the bedroom window in my underpants, as Nuno and the lads on the open top bus, go by.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am 
First XI
First XI

Rozza wrote:

You're not wrong mate. Spot-on.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:

FFS.....Don't encourage him :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am 
First XI
First XI

suiging wrote:
Rozza wrote:

FFS.....Don't encourage him :roll:

:lol:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:08 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Under Silva I would expect Everton to push top six, lack a striker to break into it, so it is shame after the sending off we didn't take all three points. Every point is a battle at this level.

Listened to the first half on the radio but managed to get the pub to watch the second.

Seemed like nerves as our passing was off. Bennett the pick of the back three, Boly had an absolute mare. Mountinho looked like he wasn't up to speed, Neves poor but still class enough to score one and assist another. Wing backs is a concern, given how important they are in our system. Doherty looked poor, albeit up against Richarlson, as forecast Jonny didn't offer enough going forward, Vinagre made a real difference. Jota and Costa subdued. Really impressed with Jimenez, thought 40m was very overpriced, but actually that looks a good price now.

Some issues but the Prem is a tough league, we don't have standout players compared to our competition this time.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am 
Manager
Manager

I thought Saiss was a major loss to the system which created massive problems with five or six other players because of spacing, particularly defensively.

And that if Moutinho is to upgrade the attacking quality within the system he has to play straighter into the inside forward positions linking with Jota and Costa.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:40 am 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:
I thought Saiss was a major loss to the system which created massive problems with five or six other players because of spacing, particularly defensively.

And that if Moutinho is to upgrade the attacking quality within the system he has to play straighter into the inside forward positions linking with Jota and Costa.

Having watched the match twice on my Sky box I think our defence played too deep at times, our wing-backs hardly ever got behind their defence to put in a cross, and we seemed reluctant to have a go at them until we went behind on each occasion.

When we put our minds to it we played well and pinned them back. But why oh why don't we get more players into the penalty box when we attack? So often Jiminez was the only one in there. Maybe if we had taken the lead instead of falling behind we would have been more positive.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

They're on a learning curve. Mistakes happened and yes there were howlers, one of which led to their second goal. Doherty got himself into some great positions but couldn't beat either the first or the second man; let's face it, Everton's defence looked solid but it was a well-worked goal and strike which gave us our second equaliser. We played better football than them but they prevented us from making it tell.

I don't mind the crab football and passing it back to draw their defence out but once the holes appear we need to strike more quickly.

Interesting stats are that we had 11 shots with 4 on target and they had 6 with 5 on target. We had 87% successful pass rate and they had 74%. We made 547 passes to their 410 and we had 58% possession to their 42%. Clearly, as often has been the case over the years, we don't get enough accurate shots in and that is the result as much of poor delivery to the striker as it is the striker being inaccurate in his shooting. If we can improve in those areas, including the required improvement in crossing into the area, and speed up the attacks before the oppo's defences can regroup we'll be OK.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Having watched the match twice on my Sky box I think our defence played too deep at times, our wing-backs hardly ever got behind their defence to put in a cross, and we seemed reluctant to have a go at them until we went behind on each occasion.

When we put our minds to it we played well and pinned them back. But why oh why don't we get more players into the penalty box when we attack? So often Jiminez was the only one in there. Maybe if we had taken the lead instead of falling behind we would have been more positive.

I think the defence playing deeper at times is the consequence of Saiss not playing, defenders like a comfort zone, hate attackers having space.
So if they see opponents in front of them with time on the ball they retreat, seek solace around their penalty area.
Previously when Doherty went forward Saiss would drop into deep right sided positions to fill an important space should Doc be caught up field.
At the moment Neves can be caught out positionally, also Bennett has to make adjustments to his right.
Which in turn creates more space between Coady and his centre backs.

Its a domino effect until Wolves develop ways of cutting the field up as opponents counter attack because Moutinho and Neves have different first instincts.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 am 
First XI
First XI

Last season we drew at home versus Bristol, Norwich, 10-man Sunderland, Hull, and Sheffield Wednesday. A draw versus Everton is a load more meritorious than that, so we shouldn't moan should we?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Last season we drew at home versus Bristol, Norwich, 10-man Sunderland, Hull, and Sheffield Wednesday. A draw versus Everton is a load more meritorious than that, so we shouldn't moan should we?

NO, But its interesting to compare where we were, where we are and where we could be.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fully agree...and we played a similar kind of game v Forest and ended up losing 2-0.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:40 pm 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:

NO, But its interesting to compare where we were, where we are and where we could be.

Last season we played some great stuff, some average, occasionally below par. Saturday, we played
some great stuff, some average, occasionally below par. Where we could be for this season - we will play some great stuff, some average......... You get the picture. I reckon by the mid-season we will be playing plenty of the great stuff and less of the average etc.
We need time to settle in, bed in new players, and train like hell. Nuno will sort it.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies