Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Back to league action with a game against the Hammers.

They will have noted Wolves weakness against the set piece high ball delivery and will be looking to exploit Wolves lack of height.

Forecast for this game. score draw 2-2.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: West Ham vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Whether or not Arnautovic plays could be key to this one.

Either way, I am going for a win! (And will be there!!)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 am 
Manager
Manager

I also think the fitness of Arnautovic will be key to our prospects. We won't sit so compactly in defence this time so there will be more space for the opponent to exploit.

We need our attacking players to start scoring.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm 
First XI
First XI

I had West Ham pegged for a top 10 finish this year due to a good, IMO, transfer window and the hiring of a quality manager. They got blasted by Liverpool, which will happen to alot of teams. Blew a halftime lead at home against Bournemouth. They also quickly blew a lead against Arsenal and got outplayed in the second half. I still think they're a pretty solid team. I imagine they'll also be pretty motivated considering they are the only club without a single point in league play so far. They came from behind at Wimbledon during the week, assisted by their opponent being down a man for the final 70sh minutes of the game. Took them about 40 minutes after the red card to score a goal though.

I listen to some Mexican soccer podcasts due to their being the main rival to the USMNT, and I expect they'll be paying close attention to this game due to the possibility of both Chicarito and Jimenez starting and at the very least, playing.

I would gladly take a point from this match if offered to me right now.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
We need our attacking players to start scoring.

Costa and Jota need to up their game. I think Jimenez is doing his best, but these pair and Traore need to start delivering.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Considerations when selecting a side. Height.

Previously Wolves had Douglas and Saiss along with three centre backs and the centre forward.

Just enough though slightly vulnerable to the free kick or corner kick into the box.

Now with Jonny and Moutinho we have maybe Four players good enough in the air to defend the high crossed ball.

In the Championship Wolves could get away with it because in general the ball was in the opponents half with Wolves a front foot team.

In the Premier league its different, opposition sides all have excellent delivery of the set piece.

I wouldn't be surprised by the time that Burnley come to town Kortney Hause is required at left wing back.

Just to add that extra required number when facing the ball into the box.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Considerations when selecting a side. Height.

Previously Wolves had Douglas and Saiss along with three centre backs and the centre forward.

Just enough though slightly vulnerable to the free kick or corner kick into the box.

Now with Jonny and Moutinho we have maybe Four players good enough in the air to defend the high crossed ball.

In the Championship Wolves could get away with it because in general the ball was in the opponents half with Wolves a front foot team.

In the Premier league its different, opposition sides all have excellent delivery of the set piece.

I wouldn't be surprised by the time that Burnley come to town Kortney Hause is required at left wing back.

Just to add that extra required number when facing the ball into the box.

Interesting thoughts, as the more 'limited' sides in the division will look to hit us with set pieces and dominate us that way. We let in soft goals against both Everton and City with balls in to the box.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:21 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

West Ham just seem to have issues as a club, nice opportunity to use our pace on the counter.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:29 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

hope I don't live to regret this, but West Ham look shite - giving the ball away in midfield like we used to - their fans must be sooo frustrated. As ever though, we need to take advantage and score before W Ham fix things.

Traore should love this come 2nd half.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:41 pm 
First XI
First XI

Looking rather jaded compared to last week. Hope this isn't the one that gets away. Certainly there for the taking.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:52 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Traore turns up and hammers it home - W Ham really really are shite - do hope we keep the 3 points - we will have harder matches, but the lads look pretty "at home" amongst this sort of opposition.

Whistle goes - 3 points it is - happy weekends all round.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

That's the time to score the winner.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm 
First XI
First XI

Woo hoo. At least we kept going to the end. Nice to get the points!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Massive win right before the international break, wim off and running lets fucking ave it!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:57 pm 
First XI
First XI

First looked at my phone at 90 minutes. Hold on for a draw I said out loud. :lol: Get in you beauty. Deserved win. We are still learning but what a wonderful time to be a Wolves fan.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:19 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

I would have been happy with the first clean sheet but the winner is a bonus! Very happy to be right where I expect us to finish but I think we’ve seen 4 games where we’ve competed and don’t look out of place at all!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:20 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Now I know we can win the games we should win, left it late but points dont lie. This season is going to be a keeper.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well that was a nice bonus at the end :D

I was resigned to a 0-0 and a rather blah-blah points return of 3 from 12 before the break. We were probably the better team throughout, but we look short of goals in attack at this level.

Luckily West Ham were garbage but I'd rather nick these games than a repeat of the Leicester situation. Six-and-a-half years since our last PL win!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

Most important to have that first win under our belts. Confidence can now grow more and we can realise that we are comfortable at this level. Excellent stuff.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

The first half's performance looked as if they'd all been out on the piss with each the night before and made good friends with each other...giving the ball away needlessly to the oppo all the time. There were a couple of (half) decent shots from each side and that was that. The second half was better and it looked as though they were for the taking especially when Jimenez had an open goal from the edge of the 6 yard box but fell over himself with excitement.

We mugged several of their players in possession and so it was concluded by Sanchez gifting us a chance at the last and the 3 points were deserved. Even the Wham/Spam fans admitted it on the way out of the stadium...admitting that they were on the way out of the Prem. 8)

That Jimenez miss was an embarrassment on the scale of worst misses ever. :oops:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SELWolf wrote:
The first half's performance looked as if they'd all been out on the piss with each the night before and made good friends with each other...giving the ball away needlessly to the oppo all the time. There were a couple of (half) decent shots from each side and that was that. The second half was better and it looked as though they were for the taking especially when Jimenez had an open goal from the edge of the 6 yard box but fell over himself with excitement.

We mugged several of their players in possession and so it was concluded by Sanchez gifting us a chance at the last and the 3 points were deserved. Even the Wham/Spam fans admitted it on the way out of the stadium...admitting that they were on the way out of the Prem. 8)

That Jimenez miss was an embarrassment on the scale of worst misses ever. :oops:

It was a bad miss, but good movement to get in that position and a great ball from Doherty to find him, you have to be clinical at this level and luckily we weren't punished like we were at Leicester.

West Ham should have stayed at Upton Park, that stadium they were gifted is not a football stadium at all

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 am 
First XI
First XI

SELWolf wrote:

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw it like that - so many mistakes, passes to opposition, balls kicked out. I thought they were playing with a ball from the 70's the way neither team could pass properly. A few pundits saying how well we played and improved on last week but I thought last week we were much better (maybe it was the quality of the opposition). Anyway, winning ugly gets you the same 3 points :)

Doherty really looking like he belongs at this level, been impressed with him in the games I have been able to watch. Getting forward for the whole 90 and should have had a few assists to his name by now.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:17 pm 
First XI
First XI

Boly. Smashing player but prone to instances of being too lax. Has to cut that out or it will cost us throughout the season. Nearly cost us two goals yesterday.
Jota still not match sharp. But he will get there.
Other than the above-mentioned we are performing well and will continue to improve.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:50 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Doherty looked good on the highlights.

Had some good performances but three points was badly needed.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Tactically smart from Neves on the goal, how to create pressing traps without the ball against the tactically inferior individual opponent.

Nuno doing the work that previous Wolves coaches never did.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:41 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Tactically smart from Neves on the goal, how to create pressing traps without the ball against the tactically inferior individual opponent.

Rumours today of Manure interest. One hopes he has the fortitude to tell them to go where all Mancs should go.

And I don't mean Blackpool

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:27 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Rumours today of Manure interest. One hopes he has the fortitude to tell them to go where all Mancs should go.

And I don't mean Blackpool

The way United are listed on the American stock exchange gives you indicators of potential change.
They would drop slightly when a managerial change was imminent, fear of change.

In fact they rose this past week on the back of a favourable European Champions league draw.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:10 pm 

Wonderful though we know Nuno to be, there is no chance that Man U would risk managership on such un 'untried' coach. They will want someone with at least 4 championship titles in at least 2 top footballing countries, and a string of cups to his name. Not to mention the experience of dealing with a host of prima donnas.

They thought they had than in Van Gaal after the Moyes mess. They thought they had it in Mourinho after the Van Gaal mess. They will THINK they have it after the Mourinho mess. (Hs there EVER been a manager who thinks it is all about HIM and not the players at all? I used to think he did it to protect the players from media scrutiny. How wrong I was.

He is the most egotistical manager in the history of the game. Makes Brian Clough look like a shrinking violet.)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Wonderful though we know Nuno to be, there is no chance that Man U would risk managership on such un 'untried' coach. They will want someone with at least 4 championship titles in at least 2 top footballing countries, and a string of cups to his name. Not to mention the experience of dealing with a host of prima donnas.

They thought they had than in Van Gaal after the Moyes mess. They thought they had it in Mourinho after the Van Gaal mess. They will THINK they have it after the Mourinho mess. (Hs there EVER been a manager who thinks it is all about HIM and not the players at all? I used to think he did it to protect the players from media scrutiny. How wrong I was.

He is the most egotistical manager in the history of the game. Makes Brian Clough look like a shrinking violet.)

In England when a football coach allows the so called press the opportunity to set the agenda you begin to invite pressure upon yourself.
In the larger goldfish bowls such as Old Trafford thats a road to destruction.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

But Mourinho ticks all the boxes in your first paragraph? So if that hasn't worked, then why would they want someone like him again?

I write about Wolves

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies