Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Friday night lights and the season just became very interesting.

This has all the makings of a classic.

Will there still be 22 players on the pitch at the final whistle. Doubtful.

Forecast...……. one each.

Enjoy the game.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Cardiff vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:59 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

I do hope there are red cards!

I would have LOVED one on Sunday. I wanted to see SOMEONE (anyone?!) have the passion and spirit and hardness to launch at an opponent and get the crowd going, if not his colleagues!

But seriously, it is a BIG game. Warnock will have spent the whole week winding his lot up, and making sure they know that "Wolves don't like it up 'em, so get stuck in from the first top the last minute!"

And who can blame him?

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Cardiff have been acclimatising to the PL during the last few weeks. Wolves look lost unless playing the big boys, unable to dictate a game.

If we defend set pieces as we did on Sunday we won't be keeping a clean sheet against a team as physically strong as Cardiff. One can only hope that Sundays's shambles has knocked every drop of complacency out of our team.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am 
Manager
Manager

There are two constants in football whatever the level.

Something Huddersfield did well, and something Colin will have Cardiff doing from the off.

Be first and win the second ball.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

With reports saying Ryan Bennett could miss the game due to injury, its the type of game you wish you could add Danny Batth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Time for the Dead Donkey to appear. :mrgreen:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

I reckon this will be a stinker to watch.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
I reckon this will be a stinker to watch.

TBH, the thought of having to trek to the pub on a Friday night isn't filling me with much enthusiasm.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 pm 

Strange call that - Saiss for Bennett.... Will Boly switch to right side??

Nervously waiting.... Only second game I've missed this year - so don't expect a 'Just Got Back' from me tonight!

At least I can hide behind the sofa....

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Strange call that - Saiss for Bennett.... Will Boly switch to right side??

Nervously waiting.... Only second game I've missed this year - so don't expect a 'Just Got Back' from me tonight!

At least I can hide behind the sofa....

I can't get my head around a Friday night fixture. I don't even want to go to the pub...but needs must. Two pints of Guinness straight after dinner (just about to be served) doesn't appeal, it's much better pre-match on a Saturday afternoon.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:54 pm 

Good grief!

What an AWFUL half! But thank goodness we're winning!!

We haven't even attempted to play football - just kick it forwards and hope Traore and Costa will do something against their painfully slow defenders... which they haven't....

Expect to see Cav and Jota on fairly soon.....

Poor old Moutinho must be wondering what this game is.... Has he had a kick? He'll be getting a pain in the neck watching the ball flying from one back four to the other...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

It`s like a mid table Championship game. The forward line ineffectual, Doc to the rescue. But, hey we`re winning.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Almost every single player has a complete lack of quality on the ball. This team is a complete shadow of last years. I have no faith in them attacking at any point all season. We simply won’t score enough goals.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Another boring and pointless result, can see why Porto are delighted to have seen the back of Nuno. We just never seem to have anyone in the box. Traore is just a headless chicken and a ridiculous fee at 18m.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

alig4321 wrote:
Almost every single player has a complete lack of quality on the ball. This team is a complete shadow of last years. I have no faith in them attacking at any point all season. We simply won’t score enough goals.

Thought Jimenez did well, good header for Doherty to put in the rebound, but it is clear he needs more help, ideally a partner.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

Dreadful performance once again.

Looking like a relegation battle with this group of players - attackers who mess up the final pass/shot every time and a defence/keeper who gift a goal every game.

Every Cardiff high ball into our area needing 5 or 6 attempts to get the ball even 25 yards away - apart from the goal, they cleared everything 50 yards up the field in maximum 2 touches.

I think Fosun will slowly starting questioning whether a managerial change is required.

Last edited by shropswolf on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:00 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

What has happened to us ? We. Have. Turned. To. Shit.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We lost to a great goal but we were second best anyway. We have lost our ability to take any sort of control in midfield and this aligned with our continued minimal scoring prowess is now a real cause for concern. We have Chelsea and Liverpool coming up and we will certainly be looking at the wrong end of the table if Nuno can't find a way to turn it round soon.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
We lost to a great goal but we were second best anyway. We have lost our ability to take any sort of control in midfield and this aligned with our continued minimal scoring prowess is now a real cause for concern. We have Chelsea and Liverpool coming up and we will certainly be looking at the wrong end of the table if Nuno can't find a way to turn it round soon.

We were never on top to be honest. Our goal papered over Cardiff outbattling us from the very first minute.

We actually play better against the quality teams when we have more time and are pressed less - but we are absolutely dreadful at converting our chances so the opponent is always odds on to get a least a draw from us.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Teams know exactly how we will set up and plan accordingly, like McClellan finding Lee's battle plan before Antietam. :wink:

Mountinho looks like he is struggling, he isn't a spring chicken and he has experience only in Portugal and France. Looks like Jonny is a bigger loss than I thought he would be too.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time to take stock on where we are now rather than how far we have come. There is no need to panic at this point but we desperately need to play our opposition rather than conform to a style of play for every week regardless.

It wont be long before our fantastic fans start stating vocally that summat needs to change Nuno, you aint heard it yet mate but it will come sure as eggs is eggs if our current slump persists.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

Nuno out!!! Seriously, it`s a tad nieve to think you can thrive with just one system in this division.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
Nuno out!!! Seriously, it`s a tad nieve to think you can thrive with just one system in this division.

Exactly.

The midfield formation has been found out.

The players competed to their utmost. They matched Cardiff for effort but Cardiff outdid us.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:40 am 

Thank goodness i have preserved the games against Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, and Burnley (and Spurs where we played well....) so will watch them ALL again Sunday to restore faith and confidence.

I suggest Nuno does the same with the WHOLE squad to remind them of how we can play and compete.

We have lost confidence. We have lost swagger. (only Boly seems to still have it today).

Forget 'work harder' - we have to BELIEVE in what Nuno is preaching, and play SMARTER.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 am 
Manager
Manager

Before any game you have to visualise the game in phases and how you link those phases taking into account how your opponent will play.

Cardiff produced a game plan much as you would have expected with Wolves asked to provide solutions to counter.

Nuno himself talked about having correct solutions post Huddersfield game.

We knew Cardiff would restrict our central midfield play so we required solutions to then create attacking phases of play.

Now this is where I get confused because Costa and Traore can not be expected to produce consistent individual quality at Premier league level to score or create goals.

Why because opponents are to organised and their teamwork will defeat the individual.

So back to visualisation.
On the training field can you create attacking phases of play by COMBINING TALENTS.

Combination play once you enter the opponents half is the best way of creating goalscoring opportunities.

Your not going to do that with Traore in your ranks, he looks like the best ever testimonial or tour player.

He's never going to fit SYSTEM football, but he will get the fans on their feet on a summer tour in China.

The same goes to a lesser extent to Costa who appears to play in his own bubble.

We requre players who get their heads up and pass the ball in attacking play, much like Man City and Liverpool.

The key to success is pass and move at speed, playing with your brain in gear at all times.

So if your a scout bringing in Adama types think again in January.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Not wanting to single out individuals but I just don`t know what Traore brings to the party. If he is part of some long term plan I would loan him out to a Chump club to get more playing time and experience.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 am 
Manager
Manager

Traore was a Nuno pick from the Boro games, he is a good impact sub but shouldn't start.

Not sure why you would drop Bennett when it is Cardiff and their long balls you are up against, Ruddy in for Patricio would have made more sense, knows how to handle the ball in to the box more.

A change to 3412, or along those lines is what I would try, mix it up a bit. Perhaps put Jota up top with Jimenez as we never bought another striker with MGW in to midfield. 4231 if he wants to keep two wingers. 343 normally works well away, I see Emery adopted it for away to Bournemouth after pur performance at the Emirates, we just need to be less predictable.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

We were never on top to be honest. Our goal papered over Cardiff outbattling us from the very first minute.

We actually play better against the quality teams when we have more time and are pressed less - but we are absolutely dreadful at converting our chances so the opponent is always odds on to get a least a draw from us.

About right. To be fair, I thought we battled quite well, and I've never seen us win so many headers, but our problems are up front, Costa, Jota and Traore are simply not Premiership forwards, and probably Cav too. If we had better finishers we wouldn't be questioning Nuno's tactics or talking about a crisis. Somehow we need to ride out this storm until we can bring in better players in January.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

It's now December.....and Jota and Costa have not yet scored a PL goal. That, in a nutshell exposes our main problem. Two strikers in January are a must.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
It's now December.....and Jota and Costa have not yet scored a PL goal. That, in a nutshell exposes our main problem. Two strikers in January are a must.

Yet both of those players have scored goals this season at International level which maybe shows Wolves require training ground work on team play in the opponents half.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies