Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

Commentators I had were not impressed by us at all - lack of tempo, desire to force the victory, continual sloppiness when trying to play combinations. I couldn't argue with that at all.

Jimenez at least had a presence and tries to move us forward when involved. Very unlucky with his shot coming back off the bar, but we didn't use the situation of 11 v 10 whatsoever apart from the odd moment of skill. That shot and the eventual winner came from Newcastle being perhaps a little too adventurous - having seen how little we had to offer - rather than smart passing combinations.

Saiss did absolutely nothing for his cause today and Neves continued the last month of underwhelming displays.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Commentators I had were not impressed by us at all - lack of tempo, desire to force the victory, continual sloppiness when trying to play combinations. I couldn't argue with that at all.

Jimenez at least had a presence and tries to move us forward when involved. Very unlucky with his shot coming back off the bar, but we didn't use the situation of 11 v 10 whatsoever apart from the odd moment of skill. That shot and the eventual winner came from Newcastle being perhaps a little too adventurous - having seen how little we had to offer - rather than smart passing combinations.

Saiss did absolutely nothing for his cause today and Neves continued the last month of underwhelming displays.

Just about sums it up. We gave them plenty of free kick practice. We invited pressure by giving the ball away. Still, hey-ho 3 points. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Thought we were good and looked more like taking all three points before the sending off, ten men at home is still tough to overcome, and we did.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I thought Saiss did ok from where I was watching. However, Moutinho made a difference late on when he came on. Neves is the one looking a bit jaded to me.

We weren't that great overall today and we got the rub of the green with a key decision when Bolly stuck out an elbow but we stuck it out and 3 points is three points.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

I was really pissed off by the winner. I had us to be 1-1 in the prediction league. :(

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I thought Saiss did ok from where I was watching. However, Moutinho made a difference late on when he came on. Neves is the one looking a bit jaded to me.

We weren't that great overall today and we got the rub of the green with a key decision when Bolly stuck out an elbow but we stuck it out and 3 points is three points.

Neves has looked jaded for most of the season, imho. Perhaps he needs a rest.

I thought Saiss played well. He contributes a lot in defence. He does give away too many fouls, though, for my liking.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Kota getting back to best; has recovered that bit of swagger!

Boly is going to HAVE to be careful. Last year, he was able to shove and bully his way against inferior players AS WELL AS being very classy. He needs to exhibit the class, not the bully-boy in this division.

Penalty? Still, note sure despite all the pundits. If you are jumping AND a the same time trying to twist to head the ball out to your left, just how do you do it without your arms being up and helping the body rotation? But he will be a marked man by refs now.

As to VAR, I still think it can ONLY work if a team has a max of 2 unsuccessful reviews per game, after which, no more.

Great 3 points though! Only a point or two behind 7th place despite 1 point from a possible 18....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Age old discussion and bone of contention isn`t it? To gain ultimate height one has to raise ones arms.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fine margins isn't it? Lanky posted after the Cardiff game that we had not been having the rub of the green. With Boly geting away with that elbow and against Chelsea with hitting Morata from behind we seem to have had a bit if the rub again now. It was also Boly who handled it into the net against Man City so maybe he is our lucky mascot. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

It is still a physical contact game......Isn't it ?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Fine margins isn't it? Lanky posted after the Cardiff game that we had not been having the rub of the green. With Boly geting away with that elbow and against Chelsea with hitting Morata from behind we seem to have had a bit if the rub again now. It was also Boly who handled it into the net against Man City so maybe he is our lucky mascot. :lol:

Yep, you win some and you lose some.

I know I'm aged and would like to see it in slow-mo but are you sure Perez was elbowed in the face?
Was is a strong arm?
Did the ball actually hit Perez in the face as the ref said?
Not much damage to Perez's nose.

Why wasn't the Traore and Lascelles incident highlighted?
An obvious arm across the throat when Adama was about to go past him.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm 
YTS

Despite scoring two away goals we still need to be much more clinical. I thought we really missed Jimenez until he came on. I know that with Newcastle reduced to ten there was more space, but his running was so much more intelligent than Traore’s had been. I still think Traore has a role as an impact sub, but not as a starter. Not quite sure why Nuno dropped both Jiménez and MGW, but at least we got the win. Into the top ten again and only four points off Utd.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

His best is yet to come, and it will.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 pm 

da_ken_min wrote:
Despite scoring two away goals we still need to be much more clinical. I thought we really missed Jimenez until he came on. I know that with Newcastle reduced to ten there was more space, but his running was so much more intelligent than Traore’s had been. I still think Traore has a role as an impact sub, but not as a starter. Not quite sure why Nuno dropped both Jiménez and MGW, but at least we got the win. Into the top ten again and only four points off Utd.

Absolutely. Jimenez is a no.9 - Traore is not. Last year we ALWAYS looked better with Bonatini (even when not scoring) than without. If Nuno wanted Jimenez to have a rest, surprised he did not use Bonatini from the start and at least play proper football. We looked pretty clueless going forward with that front 3. Hey ho! Three points!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:
[
Did the ball actually hit Perez in the face as the ref said?
Not much damage to Perez's nose.

Why wasn't the Traore and Lascelles incident highlighted?
An obvious arm across the throat when Adama was about to go past him.

I don't really know if the ball hit Perez face or not. I do think the elbow got him although it was not deliberate - Lascelles on Traore did look deliberate of course and should have been highlighted but it was in a less critical position on the pitch. I'm just glad that the ref chose not to penalise Boly this time, and against Chelsea, and against Man City - all interpretive decisions really.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Lascelles deliberately fouled Traore with an arm across his neck - FACT
Yedlin made a stupid mistake which led to him getting himself sent off - FACT
Wolves scored twice to Newcastle's once - FACT
Wolves got the three points - FACT

Happy Christmas Rafa and da do da Rondon

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 pm 

And interestingly, Mark Clattenberg has come out and said Mike Dean was RIGHT on both decisions.

Always liked Clattenberg and Dean..... (stands back and waits for bile to be spat. Got my brolly....)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 am 
Manager
Manager

Shouldn't the geezer who did Traore in have been sent off if the ref had seen it?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:57 am 
Manager
Manager

Got away with it today big time. A very sloppy and untidy performance with far too much cheap possession being given away. Maybe the exertions from Wednesday night plus the travelling wearied us a bit. Starting off with Traore as a number nine was a bad selection. Costa generally was poor too ( his cross for Jota's goal excepted) and Neves is way off the pace of late but am sure that he'll bounce back into his old routine at some stage soon. But at the end of the day, back to back victories, especially winning ugly, are magical for us, now on 22 points before Xmas, fingers crossed that we keep focused and press on to keep improving. Thank you Mike Dean, you owed us from past discretions..:-)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:40 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Got back a couple of hours ago. Walking away from the ground I felt that a draw would have been fair. But now having watched on MOTD, I think we probably deserved the win, just.

After the first 60 secs and allowing Rondon's chance we controlled the game and looked easily the better team for the first 20 mins. Then the ref awarded them that free-kick with a very dubious decision in my opinion. It looked like their fella took a tumble and conned the ref to me.
That aside, it was a belter of a free kick, but we were too slow to close down the follow up cross which led to the goal. This moment completely changed the complexion of the game. The geordies grew in confidence whereas Wolves were inviting unnecessary pressure on themselves with sloppy passing and poor decision making, however Newcastle just didn't possess the quality to take advantage. That's pretty much how it stayed until their red card.

Such fine margins are at play here. A poor touch by Yedlin and Jota, having easily his best game of the season, pounced to bring about the next defining moment of the game. Sorry Rafa, VAR or no VAR, that's a red card every time.

Although enjoying more of the ball after the red card, we were struggling to break them down and Nuno had to change it. All 3 subs had an impact. Jiminez was very unlucky with his shot against the bar, MGW looked classy again with a sumptuous ball through to Doherty being a highlight and Moutinho seemed to increase the ratio of passes finding gold shirts in space substantially.

Then we have the Boly elbow. To be honest I didn't clock it in real time from row zzz but have now seen it on MOTD. It's one of those that can go either way. It seems clear to me that it's unintentional but you see refs give them. For me it would've been harsh though.

The winner is actually a very good goal from our point of view. Win the ball in our own half, create space with a couple of neat passes. Get it forward quickly, run at the defence and follow up the shot for an easy finish. Brilliant stuff and worthy of winning the game.

We were second best for the middle portion of the game, but other than that we looked the more likely and on reflection deserved the win IMO. Newcastle were okay and should stay up, although not great they're a notch up from your Burnley's, Cardiff's and Fulham's of this world.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am 
Manager
Manager

Of all the Wolves games this season this for me was the least enjoyable, yes even Cardiff away has more things going for it.

Still 3 points and a last minute goal sends the away fans into raptures with an enjoyable return home to follow.

We move on.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Of all the Wolves games this season this for me was the least enjoyable, yes even Cardiff away has more things going for it.

Still 3 points and a last minute goal sends the away fans into raptures with an enjoyable return home to follow.

We move on.

Hmmm, Watford and Huddersfield were a lot worse in performance and the outcome of yesterday made it far more satisfying than Cardiff and Spurs from my point of view, KK. However, I'll agree that it wasn't a classic...not like when we beat Cardiff last season. 8)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am 
Manager
Manager

Interesting hearing Nuno's thoughts on the line up, prefer we went with Jota up top or sign another striker next time.

Still think we did well to battle it out given our much altered line up.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm gonna say it, I think Traore is utter shite and we can't play football when he is on the pitch. He can't read the game, keeps moving in to space other players are occupying and still runs down blind alleys, I think he is Nuno's first big mistake and was signed solely on the back of his performance at the Riverside.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I'm gonna say it, I think Traore is utter shite and we can't play football when he is on the pitch. He can't read the game, keeps moving in to space other players are occupying and still runs down blind alleys, I think he is Nuno's first big mistake and was signed solely on the back of his performance at the Riverside.

I'd say that he would make a decent Championship player at about £4 million.

£18 million? :shock: Good God! :smt017 :smt073 :smt113

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:08 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Traore isn't for me.He has something but,I don,t think it suites us.
He doesn't look like a Nuno signing to me,maybe we thought he was cheap and he's there to sell on.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

wolfrunna wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Traore isn't for me.He has something but,I don,t think it suites us.
He doesn't look like a Nuno signing to me,maybe we thought he was cheap and he's there to sell on.

I think he suited Boro cos they are a Pulis team and don't play any kind of possession football, they could just give him the ball and he'd run and run, and then run some more, we don't play like that and I just think he gets in the way, he isn't on the same wavelength as everyone else.

I don't want to single him out though so I'll say Costa has been rubbish as well, despite getting his first assist of the season, all our forwards have been mis-firing at times this season, thankfully Jota looks to have gotten his form back

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

I expect the right offer in January will see Traore gone.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Costa has been excellent against the two Manchesters, Arsenal, Burnley etc. A lot of fans seem to have a hobby horse with him after one or two bad games, shame.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm 

Costa showed himself capable of excellence last year, and linked supremely with Neves and Doherty.

What worries me about him is that at Newcastle, for instance, he just did not seem interested enough. He was not wiling to put pressure on Newcastle, allowing them time to pick out their forward pass to Rondon unchallenged.

Traore has pace and trickery, but does not fit into the team pattern of play. He seems not to know where to go. And like Costa, he was unable or unwilling to close defenders down. until Nuno and his team have done further work on how to best use his undoubted talents, he should be kept as purely an impact sub - a role in which he was fairly successful at the start of the year (when he looked far more threatening than recently.)

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies