Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I wonder if Kane could actually get into our team now?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Left back wrote:
Arr! Not lost at Wembley for 79 years.

arv sin most on um too :lol:

Arr, me too, aye TV wonderful..:-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Brilliant win resulting from a superb last 25 minutes where we finally started playing good combination passes and pinned them back. Once we had control of the ball we found the gaps, and boy, were Spurs porous in defence for a top 4 side.

First half was a bit of a chasing as feared, just about managing to hang on in there. Poor ball control helped create our own problems far too often but Spurs certainly wanted to play fast. Once they ran out of energy our style paid dividends.

Unfortunately it's no coincidence that we looked so much more effective once Traore went off (who looked more than a tad miffed). He wasn't a total disaster and actually won us quite a lot of corners but he just cannot interlink with his teammates whatsoever.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

We lost to Everton in 1988 on penos in that Centenary Trophy thingymebob. Robbie Dennison scored past Southall from about 40 yards during the game.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shropswolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

We lost to Everton in 1988 on penos in that Centenary Trophy thingymebob. Robbie Dennison scored past Southall from about 40 yards during the game.

Spoilsport. It was only a mickey mouse match anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

What a day out! What a match - one to live long in the memory.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:16 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

SELWolf wrote:

How was Dendonker? Looked rather immobile to me when he came on the other week. Will watch his contribution carefully; have recorded the whole game as Sky's 'Game of the Day'....

Trader got quite a bit of praise on Radio5 commentary, but on here....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

When Fosun think "fuck it" and redevelop the Mol in to a 120,000 stadium with a perfect reconstruction of Madonna's curtains over the ground to put the Wembley arch to shame, after retaining the Champion's League, we can play at Wembley for a season.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:42 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

How was Dendonker? Looked rather immobile to me when he came on the other week. Will watch his contribution carefully; have recorded the whole game as Sky's 'Game of the Day'....

Trader got quite a bit of praise on Radio5 commentary, but on here....

Solid performance. I reckon he was subbed for a tactical adjustment. He put in a couple of vital tackles and passed the ball well.

Nothing really spectacular but a solid performance.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:59 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Brilliant win resulting from a superb last 25 minutes where we finally started playing good combination passes and pinned them back. Once we had control of the ball we found the gaps, and boy, were Spurs porous in defence for a top 4 side.

First half was a bit of a chasing as feared, just about managing to hang on in there. Poor ball control helped create our own problems far too often but Spurs certainly wanted to play fast. Once they ran out of energy our style paid dividends.

Unfortunately it's no coincidence that we looked so much more effective once Traore went off (who looked more than a tad miffed). He wasn't a total disaster and actually won us quite a lot of corners but he just cannot interlink with his teammates whatsoever.

Pretty much how I saw it, Spurs could have put the game to bed first half with Poch then pondering when to withdraw his front line stars.
As it was Spurs lost a bit more than energy second half, its that intangible quality which seperates winners from losers.

When the time comes to grit your teeth and power through it you either do or you dont.

A bit like what Muhammad Ali found when he asked George Foreman serious questions about really wanting it.

Traore will have his admirers who only see the individual skill set without acknowledging how he unhinges team concepts.
He would be better suited to somewhere like Villa where they could just let him go.

Well done the Donk, clever footballer, filled the holes, read the game well and used the ball as required.
Though you could see why at club level as well as International level how he will develop into a World class central defender. Will become an artist.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 am 

KK overly harsh on Traore and overly praising of Dendonker?

I thought Traore gave a much better TEAM performance, his decision-making was better and deserved an assist or two. Still a work in progress, but there IS progress!

Dendonker kept all nice and simple and did a solid patrolling job filling in holes gaps and cavities. Nowhere near the energy and aggression of Neves. Kept is very simple with passing. But i am worried about his pace. He seems to me not to move well. Is he still carrying too much weight? Would a Doc regime help trim him and improve him?

Don't get me wrong - not knocking the lad, but i think we ned tomsee more of him before we start procliaming as future 'world-class'....

But what a GREAT day. And so pleased to rub the 'pundits' noses in it. So many had us down for a drubbing!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

I actually was only able to hear the first half before watching the second. We sounded dire in the first half, but the second was probably the best performance we have put in this season. I actually saw promise in Traore during the second half. He was brought in for his speed with the ball, but has largely been ineffectual all season other than that goal early on. I thought he gave them a few problems prior to being subbed and I am grateful for that. If he comes good then he will offer us another dimension. COYW.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wolfhawk wrote:
I actually was only able to hear the first half before watching the second. We sounded dire in the first half, but the second was probably the best performance we have put in this season. I actually saw promise in Traore during the second half. He was brought in for his speed with the ball, but has largely been ineffectual all season other than that goal early on. I thought he gave them a few problems prior to being subbed and I am grateful for that. If he comes good then he will offer us another dimension. COYW.

We weren't at all dire. We defended well when under pressure and broke free for corners and a couple of weak shots. It looked as though they were containing us but we did present a threat that something might happen. However, I did find it a bit of a bore for a while after they scored...possibly due to them being one up.

As you say, the second half was a different matter and the way the fans got behind the team was amazing and I'm sure they contributed to lifting them.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Wolfhawk wrote:

We weren't at all dire. We defended well when under pressure and broke free for corners and a couple of weak shots. It looked as though they were containing us but we did present a threat that something might happen. However, I did find it a bit of a bore for a while after they scored...possibly due to them being one up.

As you say, the second half was a different matter and the way the fans got behind the team was amazing and I'm sure they contributed to lifting them.

The quality of the commentators may have had an influence on my opinions. He kept talking about Spurs and not the game. At one point he waffled on about Spurs history and ambitions for about five minutes and I thought - has he lost the link to the game? Is he an ex-player or childhood supporter?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:16 pm 

Having watched entire game on TV - twice - I agree with SEL -we were far from 'dire' in the first half! True Spurs had a couple of chances, but Patricio only had one save of note.

I thought we were effective in nullifying them and their threat. Perhaps we bored them? They huffed and puffed a bit, but WE were the wolves that blew their house down.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Spice up your New Year celebrations and read some of the Spurs fan forums. Their babies were tired from the World Cup. They were playing a side unfairly put together by a super agent. We are a flash in the pan League 1 side, and we are just competing for forty points....and so it goes.

Their arrogance and belief that they and the other Top Six sides are all that matters in this world, make us rubbing their noses into it, all the more sweeter.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:21 pm 

suiging wrote:
Spice up your New Year celebrations and read some of the Spurs fan forums. Their babies were tired from the World Cup. They were playing a side unfairly put together by a super agent. We are a flash in the pan League 1 side, and we are just competing for forty points....and so it goes.

Their arrogance and belief that they and the other Top Six sides are all that matters in this world, make us rubbing their noses into it, all the more sweeter.

But I suppose if in three years time we are a secure top 5 side, our 'fans' will be doing the same thing on such sites.... :smt003

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

But I suppose if in three years time we are a secure top 5 side, our 'fans' will be doing the same thing on such sites.... :smt003

Maybe. But we tend to admit our side are shite, sometimes sadly turning on them, even when they're not. No " we were beaten by the better team, we were crap" from this lot, just every excuse in the book for their team not being able to beat poor little Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Having watched entire game on TV - twice - I agree with SEL -we were far from 'dire' in the first half! True Spurs had a couple of chances, but Patricio only had one save of note.

I thought we were effective in nullifying them and their threat. Perhaps we bored them? They huffed and puffed a bit, but WE were the wolves that blew their house down.

see this is how i saw it, they never really threatened and scored a breakaway goal that included a foul on Cav. Plus the finish was brilliant, undefendable, certainly from our perspective, our guys must have been told to show players certain lines into goal hoping that they don't produce a world class finish. Some you win...

the second half we just played our game, Moutinho helped with controlling it more but all this hyperbole of luck and spurs off day and so on is bollocks. they were well beaten by a side that played better stuff. I think they were looking past us and not concentrating on the game in front of them.

and thats what you get.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

suiging wrote:

Or better still, check out some vlogs.. :lol: some are HILARIOUS

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies