Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Who knows what this game will bring, and which team selections.

Forecast.. one each.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Expecting two reserve sides and expecting their reserves to be better than ours, but who knows, even Lambert's not-exactly-full-strength side turned them over at their place. It would be nice to see Jota back in contention to feature.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

The only player who could arguably need a rest is Jimenez, and that is because we have no one else to cover him and he has to jet off to play for Mexico. Perhaps also ever present Doherty who does so much running. Otherwise we have pretty much a week between the games either side.

Would like to see NES experiment with how we set up at home, play full strength and hope 'pool put out some second string players. We aren't going to get relegated and we won't get top six so a cup run should very much be a target.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:

Would like to see NES experiment with how we set up at home, play full strength and hope 'pool put out some second string players. We aren't going to get relegated and we won't get top six so a cup run should very much be a target.

Ditto.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

The FA Cup is a great opportunity to win something this season, put out our strongest team and just go for it. A few favourable draws en route and you can go far. I guarantee that Liverpool will make at least 9 changes to the team that played City last night. Be bold and fearless.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
The FA Cup is a great opportunity to win something this season, put out our strongest team and just go for it. A few favourable draws en route and you can go far. I guarantee that Liverpool will make at least 9 changes to the team that played City last night. Be bold and fearless.

Agree in the Cup Nuno could be more bold within his system and allow more risk than normal.

Liverpool will be positive and give us the space behind their back line to attack on the counter.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Can't get there tonight, so you'll be relieved there'll be no 'Just Got Back', but as ALL of you will have watched or recorded (or both) on BBC, I suspect it would have been a bit redundant anyhow!

Good luck to the lads - a good cup run would be a fantastic opportunity for our squad to get game time. If we can see off Liverpool (who surely have their minds on other prizes?), then we can hope for a couple of decent draws and ... who knows?!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 pm 

not surprising line ups from either side. Except perhaps Moutinho & Jimenez not being rested. Sows we are taking seriously. Just hope Ruddy does not let us down.... (even his name indicates he is a 'Red' supporter...)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
not surprising line ups from either side. Except perhaps Moutinho & Jimenez not being rested. Sows we are taking seriously. Just hope Ruddy does not let us down.... (even his name indicates he is a 'Red' supporter...)

We've got a very strong starting 11. Doc benched for Jonny with Vinagre on the left. The usual vack 3, Ruddy as expected, Jotta, Moutinho and Raul up front with Neves and Dendoncker in the middle.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Seeing as we are live on the BBC, if Wolves beat Liverpool will knocker believe it?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Donk has played well but we need to take the game to them more. Reckon Costa and Traore could have some fun if they come on later.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We would have won this game if it was on Sky

:mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

Strange game but we got the win. Draw has opened it up for us.

Still think we could be more positive when we have to dominate the game.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

Great save from Ruddy off Shaquiri, he did get a vital touch, even though a goal kick was given..:-)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Great save from Ruddy off Shaquiri, he did get a vital touch, even though a goal kick was given..:-)

Amazing save, hard done by the signing of Patricio but hasn't complained.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 pm 

FANTASTIC result.

Home from my Jazz rehearsal, and now about to sit and watch the game - relaxed - with a nice claret by my side!

WELL DONE BOYS - and well done supporters! I am told you were awesome!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fantastic win, we played a stronger side than I expected and Liverpool an even weaker one than I expected. Still had to do the business and pretty much the whole XI gave a strong performance.

Brilliant goal by Neves.. will certainly have added some more to his value.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:45 pm 
First XI
First XI

Enjoyed being able to watch the second half in the hotel in Lisbon. Will make getting up at 4am for the flight to Athens more tolerable!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

First half was played at walking pace from both sides. Quite a bizarre goal from Jiminez. Ridiculous play from Milner, probably some of the worst defending I've ever witnessed.

Much better second half, our play had much more of a flow to it.

Good to see Jota back and was looking fairly sharp before going off, and what a hit from our Ruben... Sublime!

Excellent save by Ruddy from Shaqiri, but also the odd miscommunication with his defenders.

Thought the Donk had a tidy game too!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 am 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
First half was played at walking pace from both sides. Quite a bizarre goal from Jiminez. Ridiculous play from Milner, probably some of the worst defending I've ever witnessed.

Much better second half, our play had much more of a flow to it.

Good to see Jota back and was looking fairly sharp before going off, and what a hit from our Ruben... Sublime!

Excellent save by Ruddy from Shaqiri, but also the odd miscommunication with his defenders.

Thought the Donk had a tidy game too!

City fielded a severely weakened team on Sunday against vastly inferior oppo. Both us and Liverpool have their eyes on next weekend's fixtures. I'm not surprised that the first half was a cat and mouse affair with much lower tempo that either team can muster. Even Klopp wasn't his animated self.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Felt we could have been more on the front foot again, given pool were a bit shambolic.

Jota and Raul worked well, Moutinho isn't a ten though and still not sure Donk offers enough in midfield but he did get forward a bit more. Bennett's passing wasn't up to standard.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Playing more on the front foot is something Nuno has learnt not to do at home v the top sides, we did an away game tactic v Chelsea and won, last night we sat back and waited to counter attack them and won again, albeit against a far weaker Liverpool side than the one we lost to just before Xmas. Nuno gets his tactics spot on most of the time.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Playing more on the front foot is something Nuno has learnt not to do at home v the top sides, we did an away game tactic v Chelsea and won, last night we sat back and waited to counter attack them and won again, albeit against a far weaker Liverpool side than the one we lost to just before Xmas. Nuno gets his tactics spot on most of the time.

We needed to conserve energy as we're also playing City on Saturday who fielded a second string team on Sunday. Let's hope they don't wake up from their nice long rest.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Felt we could have been more on the front foot again, given pool were a bit shambolic.

Jota and Raul worked well, Moutinho isn't a ten though and still not sure Donk offers enough in midfield but he did get forward a bit more. Bennett's passing wasn't up to standard.

I agree, far to much respect shown to opposition teams at home where we allow them an easy foothold into the game.
Much better when we take away our opponents time on the ball forcing them into mistakes.

Agree on Moutinho, not a 10, we need the third midfielder to add speed through the centre, having the ability to go past a player.

Moutinho looks ideal for the last half hour of games when the game opens up due to tired legs.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

We needed to conserve energy as we're also playing City on Saturday who fielded a second string team on Sunday. Let's hope they don't wake up from their nice long rest.

Monday night sir, you can have Saturday off..:-)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Monday night sir, you can have Saturday off..:-)

I'd forgotten that! :shock: :mrgreen: Thanks for the heads up. :wink: I was somewhat pissed off because the missus had arranged summat which meant leaving home at 3:00 pm to be out and about and I'd miss the comm.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Looked like we set up to contain and hit the league leaders on the break, then realised they weren't attacking much as this wasn't the league leaders first team and so we had to go on the front foot, which we need to do much more of against the lesser sides

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

When was the last time we actually started a game on the front foot and immediately put the opponent under the cosh?

Probably only vs Burnley and Leicester all season; Arsenal away was the only other bright start but that was them coming forward and allowing us to counter on them.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
FANTASTIC result.

Home from my Jazz rehearsal, and now about to sit and watch the game - relaxed - with a nice claret by my side!

I was hoping you would have a claret,so mich nicer than a cup of tea.
Just wondering if you felt let down by Ruddy,you didn't say either way.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
FANTASTIC result.

Hope it didn't go up the wall or over the wife when we scored! :mrgreen:

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies