Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 am 
Manager
Manager

FA Cup week.

And what an opportunity for Wolves should the draw prove kind.

Lets go for it will a strong side.

Forecast.

Shrewsbury 1 Wolves 3.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Shrewsbury vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Our squad is too small not to end up with a strong enough team on the pitch (expecting Traore, Cav and Costa to play, but not Jimenez or Jota). The problem is that the attackers fielded will probably be an unfamiliar combination and the link-up play may suffer as a result.

Shrewsbury are a poor team, their better players and manager who worked a miracle last season all jumped ship in the summer and Ricketts hasn't made any impression there.

This will however be their cup final and strange things can happen in such circumstances. The fact that they could overturn a 0-2 deficit at Stoke will mean their heads won't drop if they go behind.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Our squad is too small not to end up with a strong enough team on the pitch (expecting Traore, Cav and Costa to play, but not Jimenez or Jota). The problem is that the attackers fielded will probably be an unfamiliar combination and the link-up play may suffer as a result.

Shrewsbury are a poor team, their better players and manager who worked a miracle last season all jumped ship in the summer and Ricketts hasn't made any impression there.

This will however be their cup final and strange things can happen in such circumstances. The fact that they could overturn a 0-2 deficit at Stoke will mean their heads won't drop if they go behind.

Well said. Folk in the pub getting excited. They will be up for it. iI our lads are not, it could be an embarrassing moment

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:20 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

"Our squad is too small...."

Cannot agree with this. We regularly have the likes of Costa, Cavaleiro, Gibbs-White, Dendonker, Saiss, Vinagre, Ruddy sat on the bench who have all had some productive game time in the Prem.

Yes - we could have a few more, but Nuno wants a squad of 2 x XI in order to keep everyone happy and feeling involved. A happy squad is a successful team. (My only worry is a lack of CH cover. We presumably are relying the likes of Saiss, Dendonker or even Doherty filling in their if we had a bad run of injuries?)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

As much as I want to see us put out a strong side and have a good Cup run, we have West Ham at home on Tuesday, so Nuno may field some players with not much game time had so far this season. We must not underestimate Shrewsbury and concentrate on getting the win. It will be tricky for sure but this competition is one that with luck, we could go very far in.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Cannot agree with this. We regularly have the likes of Costa, Cavaleiro, Gibbs-White, Dendonker, Saiss, Vinagre, Ruddy sat on the bench who have all had some productive game time in the Prem.

Yes - we could have a few more, but Nuno wants a squad of 2 x XI in order to keep everyone happy and feeling involved. A happy squad is a successful team. (My only worry is a lack of CH cover. We presumably are relying the likes of Saiss, Dendonker or even Doherty filling in their if we had a bad run of injuries?)

Nuno has mentioned a couple of times this month that we have a small squad, if Jimenez is injured we are in trouble as we have no one capable of coming in and doing what he does, if Vinagre is injured we have no wing back cover, one of the most vital positions in our formation, we are too light in a number of key positions

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 pm 

What about our marvellously coached U23 team? Is NO-ONE capable of stepping up in extremis, rather than have a bloated squad getting restless?? (We now know Dendonker was getting pretty frustrated...)

I accept a CF back up is needed (as Bonatini has not stepped up), and perhaps a wingback and CH. No more!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Nuno has mentioned a couple of times this month that we have a small squad, if Jimenez is injured we are in trouble as we have no one capable of coming in and doing what he does, if Vinagre is injured we have no wing back cover, one of the most vital positions in our formation, we are too light in a number of key positions

We've used very few players in the Prem this season. Isn't it as low as 16 with Dendonker (3 games) and Bonatini for a few minutes? Hause only played in the League cup and Ruddy in the FA Cup.

Rui, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Dendoncker, Doc, Jonny, Vinagre, Neves, Moutinho, MGW, Saiss, Costa, Jimenez, Jota, Cav and Traore.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
What about our marvellously coached U23 team? Is NO-ONE capable of stepping up in extremis, rather than have a bloated squad getting restless?? (We now know Dendonker was getting pretty frustrated...)

I accept a CF back up is needed (as Bonatini has not stepped up), and perhaps a wingback and CH. No more!

Not really from the two games I have seen live this season. I am a big fan of Sadou Diallo in midfield but Niall Ennis promises so much and keeps suffering bad injuries. Ryan Giles could be good in the long term as also could Elliot Watt but there is not one who could be currently capable of getting in our matchday squad.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Not really from the two games I have seen live this season. I am a big fan of Sadou Diallo in midfield but Niall Ennis promises so much and keeps suffering bad injuries. Ryan Giles could be good in the long term as also could Elliot Watt but there is not one who could be currently capable of getting in our matchday squad.

The U23s are supposed to play the same style as us so it's odd why, if as you say, he keeps getting injuries. We've only had 4 injuries all season and two of those were as a result of pre-season issues. Our injury list is low, it seems, because we generally get rid of the ball before we're tackled. Jota was brought down by a cruel tackle from behind and I can't remember the other one.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We've been lucky with injuries so far under Nuno, our squad is way too lean for my liking

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rumours of Wolves starting 3 kids today, is that wise?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

Please get the job done today, Wolves.

EDIT: Team stronger than was being rumoured.

Last edited by shropswolf on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Happy for the odd youngster to get their taste, we should be plenty strong enough if we are at it. Big guns on the bench would be a good insurance policy.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Real mess of a performance. Shrewsbury playing their cup final and the pitch is bobbly.

Wolves have the problem that the 3 attackers they have fielded today - MGW, Traore, Costa - are 3 players who don't score any goals at all.

Doherty is by far Wolves' biggest attacking threat but the combination play is almost non-existent. Doh skinned their defenders several times and tees it up for Traore and he simply skies the ball as far as he can at totally the wrong angle.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

ooops that could be why Ruddy ain't in the Prem team - straight thru him.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:28 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

oh fook - we are pants again.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well, that was fun. :oops: I can now go out and enjoy a good night out without feeling in despair. :mrgreen:

Just hope Costa doesn't feature on Tuesday.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

Big relief.

A couple of dreadful performers out there from Wolves - Costa and MGW just not up to it at present. One young enough to have a future with us hopefully, one needs selling quickly.

Doh - Wolves' best player throughout, had to be him to equalise. Jota will have to play in the replay now as the other attacking options are simply incapable, even vs 3rd division quality. Boly will also be back from suspension.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shropswolf wrote:
Big relief.

A couple of dreadful performers out there from Wolves - Costa and MGW just not up to it at present. One young enough to have a future with us hopefully, one needs selling quickly.

Doh - Wolves' best player throughout, had to be him to equalise. Jota will have to play in the replay now as the other attacking options are simply incapable, even vs 3rd division quality. Boly will also be back from suspension.

Fully agree. Without Jota and Jiminez on the pitch we don't look like we might score a goal.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well, you need a bit of luck in the Cup. Strongest team possible for the replay please Nuno. Equaliser from our player of the season so far. I`m not Traore`s biggest fan but an excellent assist. What the hell has happened to Costa?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:07 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Real mess of a performance. Shrewsbury playing their cup final and the pitch is bobbly.

Wolves have the problem that the 3 attackers they have fielded today - MGW, Traore, Costa - are 3 players who don't score any goals at all.

Doherty is by far Wolves' biggest attacking threat but the combination play is almost non-existent. Doh skinned their defenders several times and tees it up for Traore and he simply skies the ball as far as he can at totally the wrong angle.

My problem with that front three was less about scoring goals rather the inability to receive the ball, look after the ball, then pass the ball.

If your knocking it past the half way line and it doesn't stick you throwing an open invitation to a potential giant killer to attack you.

I couldn't understand the theory of how Wolves were supposed to play, help required?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Would like to know Nuno's thinking behind the formation. Why play two wingers as strikers, why not play the 343 we now seem to have completely ditched? MGW is still a six to me rather than a false nine or ten. We still have Bonatini, who was too good for most teams in the Chump, so play him, not as if being cup tied will be an issue for any prospective buyer? Still we persist with Traore too.

SWorse results befell Everton and West Ham. From the MOTD highlights we should have had a pen to put us one up and their first was a fortunate deflection. Did well to fight back and the competition continues to open up for us.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We have the best opportunity to get to an FA cup final in the last 60 years.

In a like summer England world cup style, it should be cummin hum.

Nuno, take advantage of the situation now, we are safe in the league, bust your bollocks to win a cup and get your statue in Queens Square, obrigado.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 pm 

knocker knowles wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

My problem with that front three was less about scoring goals rather the inability to receive the ball, look after the ball, then pass the ball.

If your knocking it past the half way line and it doesn't stick you throwing an open invitation to a potential giant killer to attack you.

I couldn't understand the theory of how Wolves were supposed to play, help required?

Agree 100%. I have said elsewhere (at least twice!) that Nuno MUST abandon this nonsense of playing Traore or even Cav down the middle. It is unfair of the crowd to then berate Adama, just as much as if he gave away a couple of goals after Nuno played him in Coady's position!

We have ALWAYS played our best football in the last 2 years when we have had EITHER Jimenez OR Bonatini in the middle, to hold up play, chase things down, and make runs across and in behind defenders. The others (Cav, Costa, Traore & Jota) are all best when running AT goal, WITH the ball.

We have decided Bonatini is not good enough, in which case we MUST have a Jimenez-clone in this window. Saturday could have been a huge embarrassment. Jimenez & Traore & Cav & Doc (once they were all in proper positions) have dug Nuno out of the mire. PLEASE learn!!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
We have the best opportunity to get to an FA cup final in the last 60 years.

In a like summer England world cup style, it should be cummin hum.

Nuno, take advantage of the situation now, we are safe in the league, bust your bollocks to win a cup and get your statue in Queens Square, obrigado.

The difference to the World Cup though is that you cannot see how the competition could potentially unfold in advance.

Whoever draws Manchester City tomorrow will automatically have a very minimal hope of winning the trophy.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

.Agree 100%. I have said elsewhere (at least twice!) that Nuno MUST abandon this nonsense of playing Traore or even Cav down the middle. It is unfair of the crowd to then berate Adama, just as much as if he gave away a couple of goals after Nuno played him in Coady's position!

We have ALWAYS played our best football in the last 2 years when we have had EITHER Jimenez OR Bonatini in the middle, to hold up play, chase things down, and make runs across and in behind defenders. The others (Cav, Costa, Traore & Jota) are all best when running AT goal, WITH the ball.

We have decided Bonatini is not good enough, in which case we MUST have a Jimenez-clone in this window. Saturday could have been a huge embarrassment. Jimenez & Traore & Cav & Doc (once they were all in proper positions) have dug Nuno out of the mire. PLEASE learn!![/quote]

So am I to assume that you think you know better than Nuno,the man in which you trust ?
Trust,like faith is something we should have when everything isn't going so well.
BTW have another look at the PL table 8th then come back with the NONSENSE,nonsense.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:27 pm 

Of course I trust Nuno, and of course I applaud his decision-making, BUT I think he has tried for a while now to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It is a laudable objective, but at some stage you have to say: 'I've given it a go; it didn't work; we tried again; it still didn't; time for another tack.'

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Of course I trust Nuno, and of course I applaud his decision-making, BUT I think he has tried for a while now to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It is a laudable objective, but at some stage you have to say: 'I've given it a go; it didn't work; we tried again; it still didn't; time for another tack.'

At least he's backed down from 3-5-3. Buying Jonny will be a good thing but where is he going to strengthen to "push on to the next level"?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Your confidence in yourself is to be commended but it seems to me that if you want Nuno to do as
YOU suggest,rather than what HE thinks best,then it doesn't look like confidence to me.
As I've said before,he has earned our trust.even when those that think they know better than him.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies