Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:41 am 
Manager
Manager

League action on a Saturday at 3 o clock, never catch on.

Tight ground, opponents who are very hit and miss so any result is possible.

Hopefully Neves and Jota restored to our first eleven.

Forecast .................. one each.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:51 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

That made me smile. :)

It'll be tough because we don't play well on small pitches.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Not a stadium I can ever remember us winning at.

They are terrible on the road but a different proposition at home, so I'm expected a real battle as they have good movement. Hopefully Brooks is still out for them and Jota manages to return for us.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Is it smaller than ours? The small stands are quite close to the pitch and so make it look quite small but I don't think it's a small pitch?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Is it smaller than ours? The small stands are quite close to the pitch and so make it look quite small but I don't think it's a small pitch?
I think you're right. The Premier league require pitches to be a stipulated size if the stadium allows it, which I think Bournemouth's does. Among the 'small' pitches are Palace and Everton and we didn't do too badly there.

At least this is what I've just read in an article from a couple of years ago, so could have all changed by now.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

OK, thanks for the feedback. :wink:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Only Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Palace and Liverpool have smaller pitches than the PL standard because their stadiums can't accommodate the standard size.

Bournemouth's pitch is therefore exactly the same as ours.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Only Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Palace and Liverpool have smaller pitches than the PL standard because their stadiums can't accommodate the standard size.

Bournemouth's pitch is therefore exactly the same as ours.

Cheers mate. It looks smaller to me, I guess for the reason stated, because the stands are so close to the pitch.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

No surprise that if we concede a penalty it would be against this bunch of divers.

The officials bussed in from Handsworth at the last minute. :roll:

Having said that none of our central midfielders have excelled today.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

It's been a lacklustre performance by us it seems.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:31 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Sounds like the ref has had a mare. Penalties given and not given and an elbow that got a yellow card. Roger East will be reffing in the Vanarama league next week.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well, VAR would have seen a totally different game today.

The ref was a last minute change and performed like his focus was non-existent, expecting an easy game stood on the touchline, albeit he was not aided by the useless assistants.

Having said that, our performance was mediocre.

The central midfield was AWOL for large parts (Donk was the worst offender) which meant the ball was constantly at our defenders' feet and they were all booting it out into touch for fun. Jonny didn't have a particularly good game and Bournemouth closed off Doherty quite well.

The subs saw our tempo improve and Moutinho seemed more fired up after getting clattered (another poor refereeing decision to award yellow, not red for an elbow).

Ake was absolutely outstanding for them and the best player on the pitch by a mile. Disappointing not be able to beat them when they were so weakened by injuries.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

I didn't hear all of the comm but have just learned that a Jimenez goal was ruled out for a Jota foul which wasn't.

Notwithstanding the outside of the box penalty decision, Bournemouth got off lightly...through diving and elbowing.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
I didn't hear all of the comm but have just learned that a Jimenez goal was ruled out for a Jota foul which wasn't.

Notwithstanding the outside of the box penalty decision, Bournemouth got off lightly...through diving and elbowing.

It was probably a foul most times, to be honest, Jota was a tad too aggressive. That was their debutant who was terrible and swatted the ball out for a corner later with his arm, which is apparently legal.

Last edited by shropswolf on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:52 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I think you were referring to "his hand" - glad we got a point in the end, but I think we should have won tbh.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

The "magic" 40 !!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

I thought it was one of our poorest performances, with a team that plays well at home forcing a lot of errors. Plus there were plenty of errors that were totally unforced. We were not ourselves and you could see it in Nuno's frustration. Bournemouth are a pack of divers, but even with the theatrics the first pen was legit. We should have had ours and the ref really stuffed up to miss it. In all, I think the on-fiend official was terrible. I have never seen so much stopping of play for non-existent fouls for both sides in a long time. How did Smith not get a second yellow and get sent off? How was that elbow not a red? Most annoyingly; how is it that a ref who makes game-changing decisions when surrounded and bullied by six or more opposition players allowed to officiate in Premier League matches? Most refs that I have seen would back away and warn the players to back off, then give a final warning to a player that followed him, and finally card him, THEN make his decision. All in all it was a poor performance from the officials but a draw was the most we really deserved from our performance.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Isn't this the third match in a row the official missed a penalty? Or is it the fourth?
I oppose VAR, but if that continues my thoughts might well change.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:38 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Just back home from that shit show. I try to take it in my stride when refs make a bad decision or two, but today was just unacceptable. He had 4 penalty decisions to make and I reckon he's got every one wrong. I mean, Christ on a bike, I could see the last one was outside the box from the other end of the ground and after a few pints of Ale.

And how the feck have they finished that game with 11 men on the field? Three potential red cards overlooked. Eddie Howe should hang his head in shame with the way his team go about their business, but if refs don't punish their vile dirty cheating antics, they will just carry on. A bleeding Moutinho did well to keep his head, after disgracefully being elbowed in the face only to see the Perpetrator given just a yellow card.

I can't judge our players performance as this game was all about one man. There was no point trying to play a game of football as the laws of the game played no part in proceedings. Easily the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen and to give that some context, I was at the Uriah Rennie game.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:02 am 
Manager
Manager

Thought the ref got the handball (ball to hand) right. The first pen he was looking for it but it was a pen, Doherty was fouled and third I don't think was in the box and it was actually a dive anyway.

Apparently expected goals had this as a Bournemouth win.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:47 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Thought the ref got the handball (ball to hand) right. The first pen he was looking for it but it was a pen, Doherty was fouled and third I don't think was in the box and it was actually a dive anyway.

To be honest, the single incidents in isolation you could forgive. The first penalty is a 50/50 call. I think Moutinho pulls out of the challenge and Josh King dives. Bournemouth have 'form' for that sort of thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a 'diving' coach.
But it's fair to say that you've seen them given.

On the handball, after seeing the penalty given against Otamendi in the week via VAR we should have had two penalties for this one. His hand shoots out towards the ball and he punches it out of play. 9/10 a penalty is given, which seems to be the general consensus across the media outlets.

Our pen, goo on then, I've changed my mind after seeing the replays. He catches him with the follow through. But Eddie Howe is right in that they are rarely given. I think the ref is mindful of his first half exploits and is trying to even things up.

Last one is laughable, another example of Bournemouth cheating. Ridiculous dive and not in the box.

The culmination of the above along with the lack of at least one red card for Bournemouth, effectively result in the referee deciding the outcome of the game, with the football being secondary.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:

To be honest, the single incidents in isolation you could forgive. The first penalty is a 50/50 call. I think Moutinho pulls out of the challenge and Josh King dives. Bournemouth have 'form' for that sort of thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a 'diving' coach.
But it's fair to say that you've seen them given.

On the handball, after seeing the penalty given against Otamendi in the week via VAR we should have had two penalties for this one. His hand shoots out towards the ball and he punches it out of play. 9/10 a penalty is given, which seems to be the general consensus across the media outlets.

Our pen, goo on then, I've changed my mind after seeing the replays. He catches him with the follow through. But Eddie Howe is right in that they are rarely given. I think the ref is mindful of his first half exploits and is trying to even things up.

Last one is laughable, another example of Bournemouth cheating. Ridiculous dive and not in the box.

The culmination of the above along with the lack of at least one red card for Bournemouth, effectively result in the referee deciding the outcome of the game, with the football being secondary.

And then there was the Jimenez disallowed goal (that's the third he's been disallowed) which was left on the MotD cutting room floor (OK, I know it's all digital these days - it's just a metaphor).

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
Just back home from that shit show. I try to take it in my stride when refs make a bad decision or two, but today was just unacceptable. He had 4 penalty decisions to make and I reckon he's got every one wrong. I mean, Christ on a bike, I could see the last one was outside the box from the other end of the ground and after a few pints of Ale.

And how the feck have they finished that game with 11 men on the field? Three potential red cards overlooked. Eddie Howe should hang his head in shame with the way his team go about their business, but if refs don't punish their vile dirty cheating antics, they will just carry on. A bleeding Moutinho did well to keep his head, after disgracefully being elbowed in the face only to see the Perpetrator given just a yellow card.

I can't judge our players performance as this game was all about one man. There was no point trying to play a game of football as the laws of the game played no part in proceedings. Easily the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen and to give that some context, I was at the Uriah Rennie game.

I was also at that Rennie game at home v Bolton in 2004, East was incompetence, Rennie's was biased cheating.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Back on to topic, we were shite yesterday and got away with a point against a weakened opponent. Could have lost 4-1 on another day, let's hope that we have got a bag of shit type performance out of our system before two hard games against weaker opposition in Huddersfield and Cardiff. All part of our learning curve for this season but we need to be vigilant and focused for these two banana skin games.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:25 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

I have sat and watched the whole game recorded on Sky Match Choice last night.

We did not play out fluent best, but were certainly not as bad as some claiming. Have we forgotten where we have come from? Sorry - but ALL players make mistakes, and shouting 'rubbish' at them only makes them stop trying to play football, and go back to the 'safe' option every time. No thanks!!

My view for what it is worth:
1. Moutinho ill-advised, BUT withdrew foot, and I thought touched the ball (though no-one else has said so!), and King went down very easily and theatrically. Very soft, and possibly only 20% chance of penalty.
2. Handball - admittedly not easy to spot for ref, but assistant ref - even though on other side - SHOULD have seen it. Definite handball for second contact, pushing it out. 95% penalty.
3. Disallowed Jimenez goal - yes, Jota was quite robust, but 80% of time, such challenge would NOT be ruled a foul, so for me GOAL should have stood.
4. Doherty was cleared out. Eddie Howe a DISGRACE to suggest that it shouldn't have been given because it was after Doc had shot. RIDICULOUS argument. It means EVERY late tackle anywhere own the field is not a foul, because the ball has already gone. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE Eddie, and does you NO credit whatsoever! 100% penalty.
5. Having already been booked, the late challenge for the penalty should have been a RED CARD 100%
6. Moutinho elbowed in mouth... Well it is his own fault for being short, eh, Eddie?? Clumsy at best. The guy has form (his 10th booking). 80& should have been RED not yellow.
7. 2nd Cherries penalty - disgrace!. Outside the box, but THREW himself into it. Ref in excellent position to see that it was not a foul anyway!!! The guy flicked his right leg to the side so that he made contact with Cavaleiro leg. Cav blameless. 0% penalty

So Roger East got just about every major decision WRONG in my opinion. Nuno was very measured after match. Howe a disgrace. He needs to give lessons in morality and fair play to his squad.

Hope Nuno and the club write a VERY strong letter of complaint to the Refs Association and FA.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I understand that Eddie Howe thinks the foul on Doherty was not a penalty because Doherty got clattered after he had got a shot away. Amazing, all this time I have thought that a late tackle (i.e. After the ball has gone) was a foul and, if it is in the box, then it's a penalty. I am assuming Eddie is correct because he is a professional in the game so when did this rule change and why wasn't it widely publicised?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I understand that Eddie Howe thinks the foul on Doherty was not a penalty because Doherty got clattered after he had got a shot away. Amazing, all this time I have thought that a late tackle (i.e. After the ball has gone) was a foul and, if it is in the box, then it's a penalty. I am assuming Eddie is correct because he is a professional in the game so when did this rule change and why wasn't it widely publicised?

He admitted that it was a foul anywhere else on the pitch but not in the penalty area. Bizarre!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 am 
First XI
First XI

SELWolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

He admitted that it was a foul anywhere else on the pitch but not in the penalty area. Bizarre!

I can understand his confusion ;) as you often see players taken out after shooting. I have always wondered why they aren't penalised more often, so it was refreshing to see that one given for a change.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:

In a nutshell LB, Howe is full of myopic self obsessed shit.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:03 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
So Roger East got just about every major decision WRONG in my opinion. Nuno was very measured after match. Howe a disgrace. He needs to give lessons in morality and fair play to his squad.

I quite liked the way Nuno branded them dirty cheating bastards, without actually saying it.

Howe gets away with it because he's English and everyone knows it's only those pesky foreigners that come over here and ruin our game by diving all over the shop.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies