Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

There is of course the argument that the poor performances have come on the back of several players getting long term contracts sorted.... Have they been celebrating? Have they 'eased off' subconsciously now they have a guaranteed future???

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

[quote="SilverstoneWolf"]There is of course the argument that the poor performances have come on the back of several players getting long term contracts sorted.... Have they been celebrating? Have they 'eased off' subconsciously now they have a guaranteed future???[/quote]

Possibly, add to that fact also tiredness after a hard but so far rewarding season, maybe all the plaudits have sunk in and created a small type of subconscious overconfidence when we have to work every game, as Nuno rightly says so often. The squad too is too small, I know that Nuno likes working with a small squad but some players need a rest now and then and we have not got the depth of squad to do so. The failure to land a striker in January has left us praying that Jimenez does not get injured. Traore is not going to make it at this level and needs moving on in the summer, as, sadly, does Costa, he has become a powder puff player who has such skill but cannot display it regularly at the highest level. Two out, two in in summer.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Well I was one of the suckers who went last night. There's no defending it. Whatever the reason, we were tripe!
I won't be too critical however, as we are probably going to have our best finish for nearly 40 years so we must be doing something right when you look at the bigger picture.

I will share one observation though regarding Nuno. It seems to me that he's sometimes not very proactive. I think the performances have been tailing off since Everton, but no action has been taken to address this. It seems that we just put out the same XI and expect them to churn out results. This is partly down to the small squad, but there are also options in the squad that could start games to keep things fresh. Saiss, Cav, Traore, MGW, Costa or Vinagre have not started in any of the recent league games. Huddersfield made 8 changes last night and I think it showed. They played with far more energy than our lot.

I don't think anyone played well last night, but I think Neves and Jota looked well below their usual standards and Raul was simply knackered. I expect that now it's broke, Nuno will try to fix it by making a couple of changes, but I think sometimes he ought to be able to see these types of performances coming and act before they happen.

Hey ho, onto the next one and let's see if we can stick it to Colin on Saturday.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies