Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 am 
Manager
Manager

Stamford Bridge Sunday.

Wolves travel to London with one place in the table separating these sides.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Into March with Wolves truly competitive against sides who have been built with hundreds of millions and numerous transfer windows.

I watched the Fulham vs Chelsea game yesterday with Chelsea very fortunate to gain a victory, they are not all that.
Left back Emerson a particular weakness.

Fulham just didn't have enough belief once turning the screw to maintain their efforts.

Forecast for this one. Away win.

Chelsea 1 Wolves 2.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Chelsea vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:38 am 
Manager
Manager

Hopefully a tough tie on Thursday v Kiev for them will sap their legs a little.

We have already shown we can beat them, but you cannot write off attackers of the quality of Hazard, Higuain and William pulling a bolt out of the blue even when they are below-par.

When we win, it tends to have to come from the majority of the XI all having to play well and particularly combination play from our front 2.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

One place apart but the points total is a better indicator.

Can only see a Chelsea win, Watford have the two Manchester teams away next so we should stay in seventh.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

We have a real chance of getting something from this. We should be fresher and they won't sit back trying to stifle us like the shit teams do. Suits us down to the ground.
If we're at it and they're not at their best, we can win it!

Compare it to the last time we went there and you were wondering how many we were going to lose by, it really brings it into focus how far we've come in such a short period of time. It's phenomenal really!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
We have a real chance of getting something from this. We should be fresher and they won't sit back trying to stifle us like the shit teams do. Suits us down to the ground.
If we're at it and they're not at their best, we can win it!

Compare it to the last time we went there and you were wondering how many we were going to lose by, it really brings it into focus how far we've come in such a short period of time. It's phenomenal really!

Even a draw would be fine.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:39 am 
Manager
Manager

A draw would be a good result, a win a great result.
This time I am going to go for a shock three-nil win to Wolves.
I just have a feeling that Chelsea will be flat the remainder of the season.
We won't get above them, but we can certainly do the double.

I don't want City to win the title, but I do hope they smash Watford.
Imagine if we see some good wins for Cardiff, Fulham, Newcastle, and Huddersfield too.

Bring it on!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 am 
Manager
Manager

While this is against another top team which won't clog us, the loss of Bennett due to his ban will disrupt the back three and I think we'll lose this 3-1. Hazard will run rings around us and Higuain net a couple. The Cup game a week later will also be at the back of the players minds. As always, I hope that I'm wrong. I am over in Malta at present, so will watch the game on TV in a bar here. COYW.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:30 am 
YTS

Do you think Nuno will rest any players ahead of the cup game or have they had their rest? I'm guessing they've had it already; three weeks with no or little game time would inevitably make for some rusty performances.

So I'd expect three or four changes from the Cardiff game, with Ruddy staying put and Neves, Moutinho and Doherty recalled. As much as I want the Donk to be our right sided central defender next year, I think he needs to stay in midfield ahead of the Utd game. Maybe give him a few games there later in the season. Saiss to drop back in.

The biggest question mark for me over our 'big name' players ahead of the next two games would be Jonny. I think the energy of Vinagre would suit both games and cause them both problems. That said, Nuno only seems to bring him in for a game at a time so Jonny will probably be back in.

Ruddy; Saiss, Coady, Boly; Doherty, Neves, Moutinho, Jonny/Vinagre; Dendoncker; Jimenez, Jota

Chelsea 2-2 Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:41 am 
Manager
Manager

If I have read Nuno correctly we could see the keeper role change hands again.

I believe Ruddy was selected for the Cardiff game based on his ability with the crossed ball, or long throws and free kicks into the box.
plus handling the physicality.

Now Chelsea offer a different threat, the key requirement being shot stopper. So maybe change again.

The other consideration obviously is would it help Ruddy in the Cup game to retain his place this week.

Nuno has playing experience to draw on due to his own years bench warming.

Tough call.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

I expect us to return to our usual line up with Saiss replacing professional foul expert Bennett, Jonny's superior defensive skills replacing Vinagre. Interesting longer term with that position, Vinagre is more suited to WB, be nice to be a club that sells a big name player to make room for a talented youngster.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:30 am 
Manager
Manager

With Chelsea being a not very tall side who like to play into feet you can make a strong case for selecting Jonny at right centre back.

Sometimes a low centre of gravity, turning speed is a higher requirement than heading ability.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fair comment, KK.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Chelsea 2-2 Wolves

Jota 57

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:41 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

I think you are on the wrong page....!

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
I think you are on the wrong page....!

Ha! No flies on you sir!! I shall move along... :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:50 pm 

Will post JGB pnmy return to sinnyCotswolds!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm 

Think that should be ‘my return ‘ and ‘sunny’!!’ Fat fingers...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Tough one for Saiss, Hazard could inflict some real damage. Very windy day today here in London.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Damn - you could just see the defence switched off with Dedonk looking for a foul - 5 seconds later it's in the back of our net.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

TStarr wrote:
Damn - you could just see the defence switched off with Dedonk looking for a foul - 5 seconds later it's in the back of our net.

You could see they weren't marking them up and had a free man, and that free man was Hazard.

Still a very good point, very well organised and the Jimenez/Jota partnership always threatens.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

That's what I said with their quality. One half chance to the likes of Hazard and they can pull out a bit of magic.

That's the big difference from the top 6 and everyone else: even when their whole team falters, the individuals snatch the points anyway. If we are to have a hope of overhauling the likes of Chelsea, we have to hope Hazard pisses off to Madrid because he has carried that team for 3 years now.

Nuno should have out Cav on, not Traore, it needed something with some brains in such a stressful situation. Having said that, the officials did us no favour by not giving Donk the FK before their corner.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:50 pm 

Rats! Ruined my ‘win’ prediction too! Should we take score at 90th minute???

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

The team was brilliant, the fans were fantastic but you was just waiting for that killer punch....we need to show United less respect next week.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:35 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Just back from a cold and breezy Stamford Bridge. Gutted to have conceded so late in the game to prevent a perfect smash and grab performance , but if truth be told it was probably a fair result. Chelsea have dominated the ball, but we've kept our shape really well for the most part.

I might be a bit foolhardy, but I'd like us to have shown a bit more attacking intent if I'm honest. We were getting plaudits earlier in the season for going toe to toe with these top six teams, with generally good results as well. But we seem to have gone into our shells a bit of late. I hope we can rediscover the belief that we can compete with the big boys by playing our natural game in the coming weeks, starting next Saturday.

Finally, a whinge.... There are some absolute brain dead fucktards turning up at our away games this season. I take my eleven year old lad to most away games and he is generally loving it. But today, I questioned whether it's a suitable environment for him to be in. I know it's par for the course that there'll be a bit of colourful language flying around, and let's face it he probably hears as bad at school every day. But today we had 5 or 6 'yutes' rock up behind us, and do you know everybody not associated with Wolves was either a 'fat see you next Tuesday' a 'dirty SYNT' a 'bald SYNT' an 'old SYNT' a 'curly haired SYNT' a 'German SYNT' or a 'cheating SYNT'. Finally the stewards had enough and took a couple of the cretins outside for 'a chat'. The remaining clowns then spent most of the remaining time discussing the injustice of it all and hurling abuse at all and sundry. Then decided to start play fighting amongst themselves, pushing my son so they didn't fall into our row. We didn't expect an apology, which was just as well. Then when that went too far they squared up for real after the final whistle, pushing and shoving each other resulting in the Stewards having to intervene again.

I know that this behaviour isn't exclusive to Wolves, but football in general needs to root out these eejuts and stop them from attending matches. I've been going to football regularly for 25 years and have never once had a crossed word with a Steward etc. I treat the people around me with respect as do all the people I attend games with. Other people should do the same or be prevented from going. Any involvement in an altercation inside the ground should result in a ban, no excuses.

Anyway, whinge over. It was a decent day overall and a pretty good result. Bring on the cup!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Very disrespectful of Sarri, saying ` we ( Wolves) didn't want to play`. He underestimates how Chelsea forced us onto the back foot right from the start and never gave us any time or space. As much as I wanted more attacking from us, we just couldn't get the ball long enough to do so. Great point at a very difficult place to play at. And the Donk was pushed when he tried to head clear....that corner should never have been given.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

I shall go to bed happy and sleep like a baby. 8)

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
That's what I said with their quality. One half chance to the likes of Hazard and they can pull out a bit of magic.

That's the big difference from the top 6 and everyone else: even when their whole team falters, the individuals snatch the points anyway. If we are to have a hope of overhauling the likes of Chelsea, we have to hope Hazard pisses off to Madrid because he has carried that team for 3 years now.

Nuno should have out Cav on, not Traore, it needed something with some brains in such a stressful situation. Having said that, the officials did us no favour by not giving Donk the FK before their corner.

I was hoping we had seen the last of Traore after his run of games around and before Christmas when he and we were dire. Don't suppose we will get our money back.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

A telling quote from Nuno in one of his interviews.
'It's a good process, next time we come we'll be stronger than we are today.'
Interesting summer ahead.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies