Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wolves vs United, the build up. Saturday 16th March kick off time 19.55.

Its more than a match in many respects for Wolves its more an opportunity to move the club forward a lot quicker.

Win this and just maybe

It will be tight and all about who comes out on top in the big moments, gets lucky in the big moments.

And you the fans can be the difference, emotion in key matches can be the driver towards success. The home side can ride it.

Forecast.

Wolves 2 United 1 in a thriller.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Does anyone on here remember the two classic FA Cup games against United at Molineux, in 1965 - we were 2-0 up but lost 3-5 and 1966 again we were two up but lost 2-4...?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

I just hope it's not another episode of Wolves in a big cup game damp squib. The chance of a first semi final since 1998 makes you think back to the dismal game vs Arsenal afterwards. We also played poorly in our last QF down at Southampton.

Realistically, it's going to be a very tough challenge as they've improved a lot under OGS and will be keen to rebound from last week's defeat. As we saw at Chelsea, even when we can contain these teams for long spells, they have the individuals to rescue goals out of nothing.

Please don't start with Traore or Costa or MGW. Get the strongest possible team out there and don't get stretched.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

gladbachwolf wrote:
Does anyone on here remember the two classic FA Cup games against United at Molineux, in 1965 - we were 2-0 up but lost 3-5 and 1966 again we were two up but lost 2-4...?

I remember them well. For the first one I was 11 and I was excited when Hughie Mac put us 2 up and it was a killer to lose. I had learned my lesson by the following year and even when Wharton put us 2 up with pens was not counting chickens. "Knocker " produced one of the worst back passes ever to gift a goal in one of them but I can't remember which.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

I remember too. Also 11 yrs old and went with a school pal on our own too. Watched from the Enclosure. Abandoned the South bank (our usual vantage point) fearing the crush of the crowd. Massive gates for those games.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 am 
Manager
Manager

Lukaku ruled out. Heavy injury list for them, best chance for us to knock them out, especially given home advantage.

Assume it will be the usual line up.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Weather looks like being abysmal.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Between 1965 and 1976 Wolves met Man Utd 3 times in the FA Cup at Molineux. All played in March. United won all three ties ….5-3, 4-2 and 3-2.
On each occasion Utd were 0-2 down at some point in the match.

Today Wolves can write another piece of history. If we score two we win.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am 
Manager
Manager

As the current FA Cup Holders in 1948 United met Wolves in the Semi in 1948-9 drew at Hillsborough and went to Everton for the replay,
Wolves scored the only goal with 5 minutes to go went to Wembley and won the Cup.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:22 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

With the hope that Utd used up their March quota of luck against PSG,2-1 Wolves win.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Dirty night for a football match. COYW.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Pity about the late concession, took a wee bit off what was a pretty perfect night. How invisible was Pogba in that 2nd half? Do hope lads don't feel anyone in next round is anti-climatic after that match and going up against Man Utd. Might I also suggest a slight resurrection of the great footballing talent that was/is Ruben Neves - saw flickers of what we have been missing since last season.

Now please, pretty please, footballing gods - anyone but Man City next round!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well, if we get City they won`t see it as an anti-climax. Think I`ve done my back jumping round the living room after that first goal. Flook VAR if that wasn`t a red card. Wolves for the Cup. Woo Hoo!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fully deserved, should have been more than a 1 goal difference between the sides. Utd did have injury troubles but we were the far more effective, far better organised team throughout. :D

We will inevitably get City tomorrow though.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

It was okay I suppose.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Well, that game has aided my recovery a tad. :mrgreen:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Does anyone know where I can legally get access to a video of the match? Moderators note - I was not asking for anything illegal. Having trouble finding a full match legal download site online that has it. Our stupid SBS channel here pulled the match to put on a heap of news programs.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Awesome game. Fully deserved and you can clearly see how well
organised we are.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:58 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fantastic performance by Wolves, no doubt Man U will post how bad they were and how they 'Underperformed', no matter. I thought Mouthino was the best player on the pitch by far.
Now the scramble for tickets start with a 100,000 Wolves fans wanting one.

Mind you having watched Wolves lose in 3 FA Cup semi finals to date I reckon Fosun should refuse to give me one in case I Jonah them!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Its all about belief isn't it, once you start beating teams in massive games the next massive conflict becomes a little easier.

In previous decades Wolves went into such games with high hopes, but it wasn't enough.

That's why Leeds beat a better Wolves side at Maine Road back in the seventies, Leeds had the belief.

And so on with games against the likes of Arsenal.

Once you start breaking down the barriers like running under 4 minutes for the mile it becomes easier then the norm.

Nuno has the belief, and its built on togetherness, tight fits and supporting each other with trust.

So to build on this to make the journey that little bit easier stick together, don't second guess, just have trust.

Heroes, every one of them, and you the fans. You deserve these moments.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am 
Manager
Manager

Top performance collectively and individually, from Ruddy to Raul.

Until Luke Shaw got done by Jota I was going to say he was defensively flawless, Mourinho denied England him at the World Cup by mishandling his development, but very impressed, Doherty had a quieter game than usual.

Was a little alarmed when Nuno took Jota and Jimenez off at the end, sure it was long odds they would score two in the last few minutes but why chance it?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:22 am 
Manager
Manager

Nuno's views on the "Team" concept, win yet again.

United became frustrated. They tried their best as individuals. They lost to the pack.

Outstanding.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:

Was a little alarmed when Nuno took Jota and Jimenez off at the end, sure it was long odds they would score two in the last few minutes but why chance it?

I also found this unnecessary.

First of all, two substitutes just add on an additional minute and we wanted the time to run down, secondly, the risk of extra time wasn't completely out and with Traore and Costa we would have caused them no troubles (as evidenced, Costa didn't touch the ball and Traore was still thrashing at it like a child).

A minor complaint on a fantastic performance, but that's now 3 times in the last 4 games that we've conceded a goal in added time. Concentration is needed until the very last minute at this level.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Magnificent

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

knocker knowles wrote:
Its all about belief isn't it, once you start beating teams in massive games the next massive conflict becomes a little easier.

In previous decades Wolves went into such games with high hopes, but it wasn't enough.

That's why Leeds beat a better Wolves side at Maine Road back in the seventies, Leeds had the belief.

And so on with games against the likes of Arsenal.

Once you start breaking down the barriers like running under 4 minutes for the mile it becomes easier then the norm.

Nuno has the belief, and its built on togetherness, tight fits and supporting each other with trust.

So to build on this to make the journey that little bit easier stick together, don't second guess, just have trust.

I've gone all emotional reading the above Knocker,almost brought a tear to my eyes.
VERY PROUD OF OUR BOYS.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ref blew early I thought, thankfully. Not a fan of subs in the last minute, not fair on the player coming on and can disrupt your own side as well as the other, only if you are really under the cosh is it justified. Neither Jota or Jimenez looked like they needed to come off.

Thought the VAR actually disrupted us, a debatable decision either way and after the stoppage the crowd and our performance tailed off after it looked like we might add another. Should have let the ref's decision stand as it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

[quote="knocker knowles"]Between 1965 and 1976 Wolves met Man Utd 3 times in the FA Cup at Molineux. All played in March. United won all three ties ….5-3, 4-2 and 3-2.

Today Wolves can write another piece of history. If we score two we win.[/quote]

Spot on there, KK.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

The season that keeps on giving......Vol 2.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

WE, the fans, love it Knocker, you should come and join us.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Between 1965 and 1976 Wolves met Man Utd 3 times in the FA Cup at Molineux. All played in March. United won all three ties ….5-3, 4-2 and 3-2.

Today Wolves can write another piece of history. If we score two we win.[/quote]

Spot on there, KK.

I thought it would be very tight, maybe one each at 90 minutes with Neves smashing home a winner during extra time.
My surprise it was very comfortable. We have far better players than many folk imagine.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies