Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well, I`m surprised. Thank heavens for that goal. Thank heavens for Coady. Hope we settle down second half, they have looked far more comfortable first half. They have got to come at us second half, c`mon lads catch them on the break!

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wot no sticky?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Heart rate update: Through the roof

A bit lucky to lead to be honest. Our interplay hasn't really come off today, a goal from a setpiece was most likely for us. Watford very well organised.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:04 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I don't wish to appear greedy to the footie gods, but would a 2nd goal for Wolves be asking too much - heart is racing slightly .......

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:09 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Was about to type "is Jota, Portuguese for God?" - but think I will add to that "Is Mexican for God, Raul?"

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm going out. Simply put, I've just used my blood pressure machine and if I stay in i'll die.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Blown it.

Jota off and Raul tired, hard to get the momentum back.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Blown it.

Jota off and Raul tired, hard to get the momentum back.

Big time.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

A Wolves team without Neves, Moutinho, or Jota - you wouldn't expect them to win many matches!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

They bring on Delofeu, we have Traore and Cavaleiro.

Goodnight.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

3 weeks ago at Chelsea we did exactly the same thing.

You can't play McCarthyball for so long and expect to get away with it against quality. You need to be having possession and 20 yards up the pitch until the very end. Exactly how we beat Utd twice now.

We didn't lack effort or "freeze" but I don't think our combinations worked at all today as they often do. Neves' yellow took him out of the game and Moutinho was overstretched. Saiss entering midfield did nothing because he was also too afraid of another yellow.

Watford were the better team though pretty much all game long tbh. They have the unpleasant combination as opponent of being technically very adept but also athletic and powerful. It's there that Dendonkcer in particular is problematic for Wolves, he has no explosiveness.

Our subs just confirmed the paper-thin quality of the squad. Traore is painful to watch.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Yes, we brought on the B team. To be fair I thought they deserved it.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

Now we need City to smash them or it doesn't matter if we finish seventh.
Should have kept Jota on. Fuck I hate Watford. Ever since those Watford supporters abused me on the train for no reason other than that I supported Wolves and was on my way to a match. Hope City put six past them in the first half and make them look silly.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

City will beat them no doubt and will be breathing sigh of relief. We would have presented a bigger challenge.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have criticised Wolves for a couple of seasons now for never changing their tempo regardless of score or time. They have always played the same at the 85th minute as they have at the 5th minute. I just wish they had done that for 15 more minutes today and ignored twats like me :smt010

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wolfhawk wrote:
Now we need City to smash them or it doesn't matter if we finish seventh.

I doubt we will finish 7th tbh.

Today will have knocked the stuffing out of us and you can see how others are putting together real end of season runs - Leicester and Everton are playing really well and Watford will only have gained confidence from today.

We just don't win enough times in a row to do it. We have great individual results but then there's too many Burnleys, Huddersfields, Cardiffs where we just don't turn up and at this time we probably need 4 wins from 6.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

STOP THE NEGATIVITY NOW!!!!!!!

We have had a fantastic season so far. Who would have believed this when struggling to beat Crawley at home just a few short years ago?

We ARE going to win enough games to finish 7th and get into Europe - and I can't wait for my ticket for Uzbekistan Trotters, and a trip on Ryanair....

Bring it on!

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
City will beat them no doubt and will be breathing sigh of relief. We would have presented a bigger challenge.

I think if City played the same system as Wolves they would struggle to get their better players involved against Watford creating a more even contest.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I changed it to a sticky now. Just a day late.

I don't think Watford's tactical approach won it - we were 2-0 ahead with 11 minutes to go. It just looked to me that we got very leggy all over the pitch and couldn't chase the ball or hold it at all through tiredness. We didn't have a game changer on the bench like Deulofeu. I guess this is the downside of using a small squad.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I guess this is the downside of using a small squad.

It depends more on the quality of the bench than the size of the squad imo.

Wolves have a very sizeable difference between their starting team and the rest of the squad in terms of quality.

We never found that third striker to come on and nick goals. Bonatini was a bizarre buy given his form (continuing on at Forest) and the January attempt for Abraham wasn't thought through. As a result, we have only two forwards who can score and they start every game.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:25 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shropswolf wrote:
Left back wrote:
I guess this is the downside of using a small squad.

It depends more on the quality of the bench than the size of the squad imo.

Wolves have a very sizeable difference between their starting team and the rest of the squad in terms of quality.

We never found that third striker to come on and nick goals. Bonatini was a bizarre buy given his form (continuing on at Forest) and the January attempt for Abraham wasn't thought through. As a result, we have only two forwards who can score and they start every game.

I don't disagree with that and I did say that we didn't have a game changer on the bench. What I was also getting at though is that I think the number of games played caught up with a lot of them on a zippy pitch that looked a bit bigger than Molineux and in a fairly emotionally draining game in terms of what they were playing for. The substitutes, therefore became inevitable and we were still left with players who were struggling during extra time.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
What I was also getting at though is that I think the number of games played caught up with a lot of them on a zippy pitch that looked a bit bigger than Molineux

I wrongly thought the bigger pitch would have suited our passing game. Perhaps tiredness did play a part.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
We ARE going to win enough games to finish 7th and get into Europe - and I can't wait for my ticket for Uzbekistan Trotters, and a trip on Ryanair....

:lol: that made me smile after feeling sorry for myself, on this grey Monday. Out of interest, are Uzbekistan Trotters a feeder club to Bolton Wanderers, like Wath Wanderers were to Wolves?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 pm 

Hope so! If they feed Bolton, the state Bolton are in, they can't be much good!

(But let us hope Bolton survive. No famous old club which spawned Nat Lofthouse should be in its present parlous state.)

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 am 
YTS

I don’t have the same knowledge about these things as you guys but KK’s point about Watford closing down Neves to stop of playing would explain why we didn’t ( in my view) get our passing game going anything like we can. Even though we were ahead most of the game it didn’t feel like we were in control of the game itself. The goals came from moments of individual excellence rather than as a result of sustained pressure. And Ruddy kept kicking possession back to them- not entirely his fault as no one was giving him short passing options.

My Villa fan IT colleague tells me that statistics ( which he is into) evidence that more games are lost from 2-0 up than 1-0. So there’s a thing.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

They may have succeeded in keeping Neves quiet but the tactic hadn't worked because they were 2-0 down at 79 minutes. What worked better for them was moving away from that to a more attacking and open approach because they needed to at 2 down. We helped them with that by taking off our playmakers Neves and Moutinho and our tricky forward Jota.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:31 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We sat way too deep, took off our only creative midfielders and Jota who allowed us to move the ball up field, this allowed Watford time and space to keep getting crosses in or punt balls in to Deeney, we played right in to their hands, I'm still gutted about it, less than 2 minutes away from my dream of seeing Wolves in an FA Cup final :smt022

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am 
Manager
Manager

raggedwolf wrote:
I don’t have the same knowledge about these things as you guys but KK’s point about Watford closing down Neves to stop of playing would explain why we didn’t ( in my view) get our passing game going anything like we can. Even though we were ahead most of the game it didn’t feel like we were in control of the game itself. The goals came from moments of individual excellence rather than as a result of sustained pressure. And Ruddy kept kicking possession back to them- not entirely his fault as no one was giving him short passing options.

My Villa fan IT colleague tells me that statistics ( which he is into) evidence that more games are lost from 2-0 up than 1-0. So there’s a thing.

Wolves were never in control, reason being Neves the heart beat for Wolves was cleverly removed from the game.
The first 20/25 minutes saw Watford open very nervously but as they settled towards half time they took control of the game.
The Wolves goals were against the run of play, Wolves couldn't develop any pattern.
It was just a matter of time before Watford made a break through unless Wolves remained lucky.
Wolves didn't deliberately play deeper, they defended deeper because they were outmanoeuvred in midfield and couldn't put pressure on the ball.
Back to the Neves role, with Wolves changing system mid season it may be the roles of the midfield three are not quite defined.
Neves pays tribute to Andrea Pirlo in the way he wishes to play the game, I think therefore I play.
When Pirlo played much the same role for Italy they understood the need to not remain static.

Using a midfield diamond the Italian coach created rotation through that central position which enabled Pirlo the opportunity to move left of right as required to get on the ball.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:47 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I'm still gutted about it, less than 2 minutes away from my dream of seeing Wolves in an FA Cup final :smt022

Hopefully the direction that the club is going, we won't have to wait too long for it to happen, League or FA Cup, I don't care!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am 
Manager
Manager

I think the early yellow ruined Neves' afternoon. The match was too closely contested so avoid fouls if you got too close to the action.

I also think this played a big part of Nuno withdrawing him - he wanted him available for the final. Alf Ramsey in Mexico 1970 comes to mind now...

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies