Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:54 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I was gonna post this in classifieds, but I am after more advice than anything.

Soon, I will be looking to buy my first car, but I ain't got the greatest budget.

How much should I be looking to spend, and what should I be looking for?

I will be 24 by the time this happens.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

how much money have you got?

insurance will be at least a thousand.

don't buy a car with a huge engine.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

whelp wrote:

I got a grand saved, I have been quoted just under 1000 for insurance on the sort of car I am looking at, but I will pay that monthly.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Supernoodle23 wrote:
whelp wrote:

I got a grand saved, I have been quoted just under 1000 for insurance on the sort of car I am looking at, but I will pay that monthly.

what car you looking at?

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:04 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

A fiesta, or something like that. I see some decent KAs as well.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

You might reduce the insurance by a couple of hundred if you add 1 or 2 experienced drivers as additional drivers (parents?). My son is 20 and I was quoted £1021 with Admiral for him to drive a Fiesta 1.25 2011 model. When I added me and my wife as additional drivers (still making it clear he was the main driver) it came down to £652.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Left back wrote:
You might reduce the insurance by a couple of hundred if you add 1 or 2 experienced drivers as additional drivers (parents?). My son is 20 and I was quoted £1021 with Admiral for him to drive a Fiesta 1.25 2011 model. When I added me and my wife as additional drivers (still making it clear he was the main driver) it came down to £652.

I am doing that, brilliant piece of advice.

I can get my insurance down to about 900, ish.

Thing is, I am really struggling about what to do for a car.

How much should I spend, and what should I look out for?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:36 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Nowadays you can get a decent motor for a grand. My other half used to have a Ka and I think they are a good choice for a first car. Surprisingly roomy/versatile (we used to go weekend camping in it), quite nippy and fairly bulletproof mechanically. A simple car that means spare parts and consumables such as tyres, brake pads etc. are cheap.

Try not to concern yourself with how old the car is. It's tempting to get as new a model as you can for your money but I'd concentrate on getting one that has been looked after.

Mileage needs to be in line with the age and condition of the car. If you went for a car like the Ka I'd imagine a grand would get you something around 10 years old and, at that age for a runabout-type car, mileage is probably going to be somewhere between 60K-90K. If it's done way below that it's either been clocked or hardly used, neither of which are good for the car, and
I'd avoid anything higher as it's probably been a bit too well used. Always look at the condition of pedals, steering wheel and seats as they are a good indication of how well used the car really is.

When enquiring about a car you have to be a bit more careful when buying from a private owner.
As if 'the car' is still for sale, and if they ask which one, you know you're onto a dealer masquerading as a private seller, most likely dodgy. Also google any telephone number they have - you'd be amazed how many times you'll find ads from them selling other cars. Ask how many owners the car has had - if it's had 8 in ten years the car is clearly a lemon - and ask if it has ever suffered any damage or been involved in an accident. It is against the law to withhold this information (a dealer has to list it in their ads) and if it sits on an insurer's database as a write-off it can cause problems when insuring the car. If you're looking at a dealer's ad, scrutinise it carefully as they tend to sneak 'catd' or 'catc' in the small print - that means it's a repaired write off, and they've fulfilled their obligation albeit in a very devious manner - would you want to buy a car off someone like that anyway? If they claim it's HPI clear, ask to see the certificate.

I'd avoid a car with a short MOT as there is usually a reason for the present owner's reluctance to put a new one on. If you make a serious enquiry about a car, ask for the present MOT serial number and google 'MOT History Check'. By entering this number on the VOSA website you can check a car's MOT history and verify that the mileage is genuine.

Ideally the car will have a full, or almost full, service history. As well as another method of verifying the mileage, it is also a good indication of how well looked after the car has been.
Check on when the cambelt was last changed as part of the servicing. They usually last for around 5 years depending on miles covered and if it is due it can cost usually 200-400 quid to get done so is a good bargaining tool.

If you view one make sure it starts ok (ideally from cold), the engine idles evenly and no clouds of black smoke out the exhaust on starting or when revved. Take off the oil filler cap and make sure there are no deposits on it that look a bit like mayonnaise as this usually indicates a failing head gasket. Check tyres for even wear and go for a spin in it checking that gears change ok, the steering doesn't wobble and there are no unusual sounds or knocks.

Finally, never pay the asking price as there is always room for negotiation.

Not an exhaustive checklist, but a few important things to look out for, all fresh in my mind as I've recently bought a used car for my other half and I was amazed by how much rubbish and how many dodgy sellers there are out there. One car on ebay was for sale by one dealer with 65K on the clock then, a week later, the same car was for sale with another dealer in the same location with 5K less on the clock.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:48 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

woodwolf wrote:
Nowadays you can get a decent motor for a grand. My other half used to have a Ka and I think they are a good choice for a first car. Surprisingly roomy/versatile (we used to go weekend camping in it), quite nippy and fairly bulletproof mechanically. A simple car that means spare parts and consumables such as tyres, brake pads etc. are cheap.

Try not to concern yourself with how old the car is. It's tempting to get as new a model as you can for your money but I'd concentrate on getting one that has been looked after.

Mileage needs to be in line with the age and condition of the car. If you went for a car like the Ka I'd imagine a grand would get you something around 10 years old and, at that age for a runabout-type car, mileage is probably going to be somewhere between 60K-90K. If it's done way below that it's either been clocked or hardly used, neither of which are good for the car, and
I'd avoid anything higher as it's probably been a bit too well used. Always look at the condition of pedals, steering wheel and seats as they are a good indication of how well used the car really is.

When enquiring about a car you have to be a bit more careful when buying from a private owner.
As if 'the car' is still for sale, and if they ask which one, you know you're onto a dealer masquerading as a private seller, most likely dodgy. Also google any telephone number they have - you'd be amazed how many times you'll find ads from them selling other cars. Ask how many owners the car has had - if it's had 8 in ten years the car is clearly a lemon - and ask if it has ever suffered any damage or been involved in an accident. It is against the law to withhold this information (a dealer has to list it in their ads) and if it sits on an insurer's database as a write-off it can cause problems when insuring the car. If you're looking at a dealer's ad, scrutinise it carefully as they tend to sneak 'catd' or 'catc' in the small print - that means it's a repaired write off, and they've fulfilled their obligation albeit in a very devious manner - would you want to buy a car off someone like that anyway? If they claim it's HPI clear, ask to see the certificate.

I'd avoid a car with a short MOT as there is usually a reason for the present owner's reluctance to put a new one on. If you make a serious enquiry about a car, ask for the present MOT serial number and google 'MOT History Check'. By entering this number on the VOSA website you can check a car's MOT history and verify that the mileage is genuine.

Ideally the car will have a full, or almost full, service history. As well as another method of verifying the mileage, it is also a good indication of how well looked after the car has been.
Check on when the cambelt was last changed as part of the servicing. They usually last for around 5 years depending on miles covered and if it is due it can cost usually 200-400 quid to get done so is a good bargaining tool.

If you view one make sure it starts ok (ideally from cold), the engine idles evenly and no clouds of black smoke out the exhaust on starting or when revved. Take off the oil filler cap and make sure there are no deposits on it that look a bit like mayonnaise as this usually indicates a failing head gasket. Check tyres for even wear and go for a spin in it checking that gears change ok, the steering doesn't wobble and there are no unusual sounds or knocks.

Not an exhaustive checklist, but a few important things to look out for, all fresh in my mind as I've recently bought a used car for my other half and I was amazed by how much rubbish and how many dodgy sellers there are out there. One car on ebay was for sale by one dealer with 65K on the clock then, a week later, the same car was for sale with another dealer in the same location with 5K less on the clock.

Ah, excellent, you have definitely given me something to think about. I am looking at taking out a loan, and putting a high deposit on, purely so I can have a really reliable car.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

Imagine cruising down the New Road with a couple of biatches, in this baby?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

My first car was a Vauxhall Nova 1.0L, it was 5 years old and had 39,000 miles on the clock. I spent £2,325 on it from a private seller. I was 19 and the insurance was £850 fully comp in the first year. For the 1.3SR version of the same car which a load of my mates had, the insurance was double that.

It really does pay to have a modest car to begin with whilst you're building up your NCD with the insurance companies. Make sure you protect your NCD as well in case you do have to make a claim.

If you're not that knowledgeable about cars (like me) , make sure you take somebody with you who is. They don't have to be a fully qualified mechanic (although that would be good) , just somebody who's been through the process a few times themselves. If you decide you want a car, but have even the slightest doubt about it, you can always get the AA (or similar) to inspect it for you. A small one off fee might save you a whole lot of money and hassle in the long run and will give you peace of mind.

In terms of how much you should spend... Well, I would spend about £2,325 on a 5 year old 1.0L Vauxhall Nova (although I think they call em Corsa's nowadays).

That car was the dogs bollocks!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

If your Lad has a reason to claim off the Insurance would that affect YOUR No Claims bonus too?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Supernoodle23 wrote:
woodwolf wrote:

Ah, excellent, you have definitely given me something to think about. I am looking at taking out a loan, and putting a high deposit on, purely so I can have a really reliable car.

I would add the following to the list of observations: -

Try each and every switch to ensure they work what they're supposed to operate including the heater settings. Check the windows that are meant to open do so smoothly.

Wherever possible, lift carpets to check for water or damp or rust.

Check as many 'wells' usually in the boot and where the spare wheel is held for rust. Stand at the back and front of the vehicle and look down the sides for blemishes, signs of paint repairs. Check inside doors, bonnets and boots for colour matching as anything other than the original will indicate it has been changed.

Before going to view any prospective vehicle, Google it with reviews and known faults and problems so that you're armed with the knowledge of what to check for pertinent to that particular make and model.

Don't be fooled by Furry Dice and other Boy Racer Fibreglass bolt on shite.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice