Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice

Share On:

Post subject: My dog died today
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

My old pal died this morning, he was a six year old King Charles Spaniel called Alfie and it hurts like hell.

I can hardly write this but have any of you ever had a pet cremated, or what did you do with their remains, Christ almighty how can you get so attached to something you can't have a conversation with.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: My dog died today
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozz. My heart goes out to you. I have 2 King Charles spaniels, and they are about 5 now.. I know the breed can have problems from that age on. I can honestly say, as much as a sad bastard it makes me, the male one is my best bud.

The Unconditional love a dog gives you is something special. It may have only been a short spell in your life, but you were his whole life. And I am sure you made him a happy little Bugga.

Sorry again, I can't imagine how much that must hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

my dog when I was a kid died after id left home so it was really dealt with by my dad and little brother.

when spot (the boys hamster) died he sobbed his heart out, he was only 9 at the time.

we got a stone off the beach (my folks live in Dawlish warren) and got it dremeled with spot written on it as a little gravestone.

we put spot in the little box we got him in and buried him by the rhubarb plant.

circle of life and all that.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
My old pal died this morning, he was a six year old King Charles Spaniel called Alfie and it hurts like hell.

I can hardly write this but have any of you ever had a pet cremated, or what did you do with their remains, Christ almighty how can you get so attached to something you can't have a conversation with.

That's sad Rozza. My sympathies. We had a King Charles years ago (Charlie, original eh?) , he died when he was 8. We just left his body with the vet who regularly took animals for cremation.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Regarding the dogs remains. We actually buried out Golden Retriever and gave him a little flower bed.. We lived on an old Blacksmiths yard, and he would always dig up these massive bones from the garden.. Probably Horses. So we thought it fit..

Then one day our West highland terrier, post Golden, came into the house with a retriever sized bone.. Flower bed had been dug up.. The circle of life indeed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

I started with Guinea Pigs as a kid, and I wept when the one, Snowy, died, as she'd been rejected by the others, but was so affectionate. She'd had a skin disorder.

When Charlie, my long haired chocolate coloured Hamster, died in my hands, I wept.

Years later, we had Cookie, from Sunnyside, a long legged Jack Russell. They called her 'Smiler', so friendly was she, and she was just a bag of bones when we took her home. She was such a loving dog, unless you were the Postman, or Mick the Milk. She used to enjoy me letting her off the leash, when I took her around the block at 3am, having returned home from on the piss, on a Friday night.

Twice she escaped from the garden and legged it, because she hadn't been spayed, and the second time, we went in to a period of mourning, presuming her dead on some road, somewhere, but my Sister found her at another kennels. She lived until she was about 14, and only went down hill in the last 6 months. It was weird being with her when she was put down, but I didn't weep. What a wonderful dog.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

We lost our Rottie Rescue Cross recently from something which was probably treatable, but we were too busy with our apartment renovation and the guy here looking after the dogs didn't relay the situation to us correctly until the poor thing was dying. I tried to get her to the Vets, but she died just before we got there. Still grieving even though we had another 3 and just added another 1 from the Dog's Home.

We are fortunate to have lots of land, but decided to bury our girl in the garden and mark it with a wooden cross. I wrapped her in her sheepskin rug, placed her in the hole with her collar, bowl, some bones and biscuits for the After Life and shed a tear when no fooker was looking. :(

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:36 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We have decided to have Alfie cremated which will take place this afternoon.After cremation the place puts his ashes into a bio degradable scatter tube which will allow me to scatter some of his ashes on our favourite walks and then bury the remainder in our garden tomorrow.
We have another day of emotional turmoil today as my daughter, who we originally bought Alfie for, returns from Uni today and is unaware of what has happened. She will have to be told on arrival. I for one would rather pass a death message to a stranger than do that, as daft as it seems.

I never got my nuzzle or my licked toes or battered by a wagging tail this morning for the first time, the things I took for granted I miss dreadfully now.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:08 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Hey Rozza sorry for your loss mate, I know what its like when we have lost our dogs.

I had mine cremated using a service from the vet, a couple of weeks later we received a cask with her ashes in and a card so we have a permanent reminder of her, it sits now with her old collar round it.

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice