Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice

Share On:

Post subject: Best Broadband Supplier?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Having issues with my supplier at present,poor speeds,drop out etc etc sick of talking to engineers and them saying my problem is sorted and for it to appear again.
What suppliers do people have out there and how reliable are they and how is the after care if there is a problem?Cheers for your help.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have had BT Infinity 2 for a couple of years. Not cheap and probably not as fast as they pretend but the only problem I had was when we had a new microwave and I had to change channel. Never any other issues and it seems very reliable (unlike Orange which I had previously)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ken, who are you with? If it's Virgin, then that's disappointing, because I don't have many problems with them. Recently I called them, and spoke to a nice Indian chap who asked me to turn my box off and on, and hey presto, problem solved :oops:

A while back, we had a weak signal problem, which is down to how our cable goes round the house, to get in the back room, but they turned up quickly, to add a booster.

Overall, a reliable service.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Aol/talktalk i've got.

No cable here embers so as the saying goes no virgin in Perton :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

kenbarlowsslippers wrote:
Aol/talktalk i've got.

No cable here embers so as the saying goes no virgin in Perton :lol:

Perton, the land that time forgot. Time to move Kenneth.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Anyway since the engineer came friday(spoke little english and spent 20 minutes on the phone to an engineer in india!!!yes really)it has got bleedin worse.So i phoned customer support today and he asked what socket my router was plugged in to.I asked what sort of question that was and he said go and get a screwdriver and take the front off the socket off.I then blew my top!!!!WTF is all that about?
He eventually said he changed a dns setting his end and the problem i have had for 6 months will be history :lol: We will see and why didn't they do this in the first place. :oops:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The DNS setting probably doesn't appear until about page 6 of their book of instructions. Every time you call they have to start at the beginning of page 1 and work their way through.

I lived in Perton for a while, a long time ago, glad it's still there.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I have had BT Infinity 2 for a couple of years. Not cheap and probably not as fast as they pretend but the only problem I had was when we had a new microwave and I had to change channel. Never any other issues and it seems very reliable (unlike Orange which I had previously)

Could you break that down into Layman's language please as I am conjuring up a picture that you have a combined Microwave oven and TV. :shock:

I don't understand why you lot don't use a Speedtest site as they're free and quite reliable. However, you really need to close everything, SKYPE type programmes, anything that is running in the background and even disable you're security anti-virus, firewalls and whatnot for 10 minutes whilst you run the test. Don't forget to disable any other devices that are using your WiFi such as mobile devices before running the test.

Choose a nearby and an international server to get an idea of your Ping speed, Download and Upload speeds - run it 3 times minimum i.e. morning, midday, evening (peak time) to get an overall average and then, if it don't come anywhere near what you're supposed to be getting then, you have something to complain about.

If/when I experience slow speeds, whirring on You Tube etc. I find that an unplug of the router for 1 minute or a computer reset of the router can help and sometimes combined with a computer reboot. If that don't improve anything then, I run a Speedtest and if the results are miserable then I am on the blower to the IP who usually tell me that they're carrying out maintenance works and it'll be back up to speed by X time. Just keeps them on their toes as I have to pay a lot of dosh to get my Internet connection out in the sticks.

Of course, don't forget that you'll always get faster results if you're Puter is hard wired than you will on WiFi and also, the power of your router and it's positioning in your house can make a difference too. I had to upgrade mine to some double antenna one so as to improve the signal down to the caravan so that the Woker/Helper can use SKYPE to talk to his Brother in Spain.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:55 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

Could you break that down into Layman's language please as I am conjuring up a picture that you have a combined Microwave oven and TV. :shock:

You know more than me though. When we had a new microwave, every time we used it it seemed to interfere with the Broadband connection. There are several channels available on the router to receive broadband so I was advised to move to another one and it did the trick.

I haven't tried surfing the microwave yet.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

You know more than me though. When we had a new microwave, every time we used it it seemed to interfere with the Broadband connection. There are several channels available on the router to receive broadband so I was advised to move to another one and it did the trick.

I haven't tried surfing the microwave yet.

You'll get such programmes as 'Only Bits of Pies and Horses' on the Gold Channel Mate. If you're lucky, you might get repeats of the Lasagne, Curry and Chinese Takeaway channels although, you might need subtitles and a dose of Imodium for the best reception. :roll:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
The DNS setting probably doesn't appear until about page 6 of their book of instructions. Every time you call they have to start at the beginning of page 1 and work their way through.

At present the "fix" whatever it was is working :shock:
I bet you lived on the outer of the parkway not the inner Lb :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:

:lol: Franklyn Close off Shackleton Drive - didn't that put me in the middle somewhere?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Left back wrote:

:lol: Franklyn Close off Shackleton Drive - didn't that put me in the middle somewhere?

Park the car there on occasions i'm lazy and pick the kids up from school instead of walking.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:15 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Park the car there on occasions i'm lazy and pick the kids up from school instead of walking.

Not even sure if the school was there when I was (can't remember it) but the place definitely wasn't still an airfield.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

Not even sure if the school was there when I was (can't remember it) but the place definitely wasn't still an airfield.

Leftie, when you woz there, it was still called Pertonium.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Left back wrote:

That's the stuff Moscow puts in the end of his umbrellas

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Embers wrote:

Moscow is currently putting it, in all of his mouse traps :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:
Embers wrote:

Moscow is currently putting it, in all of his mouse traps :lol:

We placed THREE traps yesterday and our latest contraption, the walk the plank bucket trap for drowning them. This morning's report - all 3 traps cleared of bait without going off; bait in the bucket of water, but no fookin Mouse. Time for some fine tuning and greasing of the trap triggers - just too knackered to lift a finger at the moment. :(

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

You will love those meeses in pieces Mosow.

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice