Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice

Share On:

Post subject: Which Apple Mac?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm fed up with my current PC which doesn't run as well since I had it cleaned out and so no longer have Word...just a basic alternative; internet explorer 7 is out-dated and I can't upload IE 11 (or any other) and I'll have to pay £100 to Norton in January.

My daughters have been going on at me for ages to get an Apple Mac. I only need one for YouTube videos, internet searches/banking/purchases and for a word processor. Can anyone recommend a particular one?

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Which Apple Mac?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Have you decided to buy an Apple Macintosh or, are you still exploring the market? If so, you might find it useful to read through these quick search charts: -

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001238.htm

https://knoji.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-mac-versus-windows/

You don't say what kind of PC you have, a desktop, laptop, Notebook, etc.?

You don't say what version of windows you are currently running or how old the PC is?

Why did you lose your Word programme when having the computer cleared out of (I assume crap)?

Why can't you download or upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, is it because your Operating system is too old? What about other Browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox etc.?

Personally, although I think that Apple Macs look the dog's bits, I cannot see the necessity for all of the extra dosh for what you say you need a computer for.

Also personal preferences, but the first thing that I would get rid of (if you can) is Norton Security. Is it really necessary as Windows offers Defender Firewall and I have so far managed with free download versions of AVAST, but I know others use AIG.

I do not pretend to be an expert, but it is my opinion and those of nearly everyone else that I speak to, that Norton slows down your computer a fair bit. However, even Firewalls can do that as can numerous programmes running in the background that you're not using and wouldn't know they're running.

As I said in another thread, I have just bought myself a nice up to date Dell Laptop with Windows 8 (not preloaded) for around Euro 500. I will buy some version of Windows Office next time that I am in the City as I prefer to be legal, but I know I could get a pirate version for free that no doubt would work fine.

I'm guessing that you could probably get yourself a nice Laptop in the UK for £350-£500, but beware of the pre-loaded crap as mentioned in one of those two links.

Perhaps your two girls just want to be hip or, say, Dad, that is AWESOME or whatever the buzz words are today. My Wife has an iPad that I splashed out for, she mainly watches on-line downloads of old TV serials and on-line books from Russia, but there are lots of things Apple don't allow her to watch or sites they don't allow her to access that I have no problem with on my Windows OS laptop.

Not suggesting you shouldn't buy an Apple, just think you can meet your requirements far cheaper and be right up to date with the latest/fastest processor, OS etc.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Thanks for your help - much appreciated as you obviously had put some time into posting. I'll answer some of questions to narrow the issue down.

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Have you decided to buy an Apple Macintosh or, are you still exploring the market? If so, you might find it useful to read through these quick search charts: -

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001238.htm

https://knoji.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-mac-versus-windows/

You don't say what kind of PC you have, a desktop, laptop, Notebook, etc.?

Acer PC

You don't say what version of windows you are currently running or how old the PC is?

3 years
Why did you lose your Word programme when having the computer cleared out of (I assume crap)?

Crap

Why can't you download or upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, is it because your Operating system is too old? What about other Browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox etc.?

I
Personally, although I think that Apple Macs look the dog's bits, I cannot see the necessity for all of the extra dosh for what you say you need a computer for.

It's a good point but it's like buying a car. Sometimes you want summat and I'm fed up with the possibility of viruses, paying for Norton and other various problems.

Also personal preferences, but the first thing that I would get rid of (if you can) is Norton Security. Is it really necessary as Windows offers Defender Firewall and I have so far managed with free download versions of AVAST, but I know others use AIG.

I've had invasions whereby they've switched the firewall off for me. Norton isn't universally popular but they seem to do the trick and offers a reliable defence. Their remote service has been good, I must admit.

I do not pretend to be an expert, but it is my opinion and those of nearly everyone else that I speak to, that Norton slows down your computer a fair bit. However, even Firewalls can do that as can numerous programmes running in the background that you're not using and wouldn't know they're running.

Yeah, that happens.

As I said in another thread, I have just bought myself a nice up to date Dell Laptop with Windows 8 (not preloaded) for around Euro 500. I will buy some version of Windows Office next time that I am in the City as I prefer to be legal, but I know I could get a pirate version for free that no doubt would work fine.

I'm guessing that you could probably get yourself a nice Laptop in the UK for £350-£500, but beware of the pre-loaded crap as mentioned in one of those two links.

I bought one off McGogs a few years ago. :P

Perhaps your two girls just want to be hip or, say, Dad, that is AWESOME or whatever the buzz words are today. My Wife has an iPad that I splashed out for, she mainly watches on-line downloads of old TV serials and on-line books from Russia, but there are lots of things Apple don't allow her to watch or sites they don't allow her to access that I have no problem with on my Windows OS laptop.

My girls have their own Apple Macs and much prefer what they've got to using this though their photos are sometimes uploaded on this - besides some other crap which is why I decided to clean it out six months ago when they had a lot of student crap on it. :roll:

Not suggesting you shouldn't buy an Apple, just think you can meet your requirements far cheaper and be right up to date with the latest/fastest processor, OS etc.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:38 am 
Manager
Manager

I'm considering getting a laptop, for software development purposes, my own projects and stuff, and I need the best value in performance terms. A Mac would be great, but you're paying double the money. If you can afford a Mac, and like their sexier style, then get one...but there are different models, so do your research.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:41 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
I'm considering getting a laptop, for software development purposes, my own projects and stuff, and I need the best value in performance terms. A Mac would be great, but you're paying double the money. If you can afford a Mac, and like their sexier style, then get one...but there are different models, so do your research.

What are the other options?

The thing about the Mac is that I can get a reduction off my daughter's student card (about £100) but I guess KK will regard that as being seriously out of order. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

What are the other options?

The thing about the Mac is that I can get a reduction off my daughter's student card (about £100) but I guess KK will regard that as being seriously out of order. :lol:

http://www.pc-vs-mac-test.com

Apparently Macs are for old people :wink:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:

http://www.pc-vs-mac-test.com

Apparently Macs are for old people :wink:

Quote:
Result: PC 6 Mac 7
Result: Let's call it a tie!
The scores are pretty close! Apparently either choice could work for you!

I'm back where I started. :?

Which Mac should I choose? :smt017

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have to admit I've no idea about technical stuff but if you are going for a Mac, surely you will want to keep it as long as possible at thir prices so I would go for the best spec I can afford.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Perhaps not many folk on here have Apple Macs. My ratioanale is that I'm fed up of paying "100 a year for decent protection only to have to have the PC cleaned out every 3 years when I can get an Apple Mac with £100 off and they're supposed to last for years. Eldest daughter has had hers for four years now without any probs and it works like new. She has a lap top version but I'd prefer a desk top.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about them otherwise I'll have to read through the lines of the sales shite that will inevitably be spouted in a couple of weeks time at the Apple Store.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:23 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Perhaps not many folk on here have Apple Macs. My ratioanale is that I'm fed up of paying "100 a year for decent protection only to have to have the PC cleaned out every 3 years when I can get an Apple Mac with £100 off and they're supposed to last for years. Eldest daughter has had hers for four years now without any probs and it works like new. She has a lap top version but I'd prefer a desk top.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about them otherwise I'll have to read through the lines of the sales shite that will inevitably be spouted in a couple of weeks time at the Apple Store.

On a Mac as we speak. Have used them for years and once you go there you will not go back.

The thing with them is mate they are expensive because of their ability for business, particularly graphics. The average user will never touch the sides of the capacity, so you do not need to get the highest spec, you simply wont use what you pay for. The operating system is generic across the range, so the cheaper versions may be slightly slower, but you'll never notice the difference unless you're a graphic designer or a professional editor.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
On a Mac as we speak. Have used them for years and once you go there you will not go back.

The average user will never touch the sides of the capacity, so you do not need to get the highest spec, you simply wont use what you pay for. The operating system is generic across the range, so the cheaper versions may be slightly slower, but you'll never...

Cheers, suig. So I'll get a cheap one. Sounds OK by me.

Both daughters said that if I get one I'd never go back to a PC. My Dad said that if I once drove an automatic I'd never go back to gears...and he was right. A pal bought a Toyota because he liked the spec of mine and said he'd never go back to using gears and his wife agreed as well.

I'll trust your judgement. :smt023

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

The average user will never touch the sides of the capacity, so you do not need to get the highest spec, you simply wont use what you pay for. The operating system is generic across the range, so the cheaper versions may be slightly slower, but you'll never...

Cheers, suig. So I'll get a cheap one. Sounds OK by me.

Both daughters said that if I get one I'd never go back to a PC. My Dad said that if I once drove an automatic I'd never go back to gears...and he was right. A pal bought a Toyota because he liked the spec of mine and said he'd never go back to using gears and his wife agreed as well.

I'll trust your judgement. :smt023

Good call on the Mac ( my judgement Mmmmmm)

Wonderful, sexy machines............I think you'll like the change mate, I really do.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:07 am 
Manager
Manager

I have an iMac 21inch and a MacBook Pro.. I think for what you want a MacBook Air would be suffice. Just bare in mind it had no DVD or CD drive.. Some people don't like that.

The 27inch iMac is an extremely impressive computer but I have to agree you are paying for design and operating system with apple products.

It's a whole new OS to learn and at first it will get on your wick. Once you get used to it, windows seems like a loaf of old balls.

The Lenovo Yoga laptops are a heck of a lot of power and functionality for cheaper than the macbook laptops. They are touchscreen as well as usual controls so perhaps a little more future proofed. Very quick but they run windows 8 which I have never come to terms with on my work computer.

I have never regretted changing to Mac, and have never had to replace the ones I bought, even at 3/4 years old they still seem robust and not out of date to look at.

Sent from my Phone using Fingers

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:53 am 
Manager
Manager

LA Wolf wrote:
I have an iMac 21inch and a MacBook Pro.. I think for what you want a MacBook Air would be suffice. Just bare in mind it had no DVD or CD drive.. Some people don't like that.

The 27inch iMac is an extremely impressive computer but I have to agree you are paying for design and operating system with apple products.

It's a whole new OS to learn and at first it will get on your wick. Once you get used to it, windows seems like a loaf of old balls.

The Lenovo Yoga laptops are a heck of a lot of power and functionality for cheaper than the macbook laptops. They are touchscreen as well as usual controls so perhaps a little more future proofed. Very quick but they run windows 8 which I have never come to terms with on my work computer.

I have never regretted changing to Mac, and have never had to replace the ones I bought, even at 3/4 years old they still seem robust and not out of date to look at.

Sent from my Phone using Fingers

It's funny, in 87 or 88, three of us who were at Wulfrun College at the time, drove off down to UEA (Norwich), in a 1 litre Fiesta, to check out the campus. It was a very green site, and if I had my time again, I would have gone there to do my degree, as they offered me a place, but what I remember from that visit, is one of the I.T. suites, which were full of these Apple Macintosh computers. I'd never seen them before, but the style, even back then, struck me as distinctly different and more stylish than the normal computers.

My question is, will a Mac at twice/thrice the price of an equivalent Windows PC setup, perform distinctly better? I'm all for some style, but not a Pig in lipstick.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

The choice is £899 with 12% discount (£791) or £1049 (£924) for double the processor and memory. I dunno if the extra speed and memory will be worth the extra £130; who can help?

It's like buying a car; if we only bought what we needed then we'd all be driving around in about twenty different cars between us.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
The choice is £899 with 12% discount (£791) or £1049 (£924) for double the processor and memory. I dunno if the extra speed and memory will be worth the extra £130; who can help?

It's like buying a car; if we only bought what we needed then we'd all be driving around in about twenty different cars between us.

I think that the yardstick is, if you can afford it buy it, but I doubt you'll ever use the additional capacity of the cheaper model, but to use your analogy, leather seats or ordinary material ones in your nice new expensive car.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

I think that the yardstick is, if you can afford it buy it, but I doubt you'll ever use the additional capacity of the cheaper model, but to use your analogy, leather seats or ordinary material ones in your nice new expensive car.

Perhaps you mean more expensive - typo, I guess; £790 isn't that much more than I'd expect to pay for a new PC and as this current PC doesn't have Word and there are other issues with it, it looks like that'll be the one for me.

Thanks for the input, you guys. :wink:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:02 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Perhaps you mean more expensive - typo, I guess; £790 isn't that much more than I'd expect to pay for a new PC and as this current PC doesn't have Word and there are other issues with it, it looks like that'll be the one for me.

Thanks for the input, you guys. :wink:

Yes, typo, I blame the Trouble and Strife. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm going to get me a new lapdog, for software development purposes, as I want to get back in to it, and out of what I'm currently stuck in, but it may take several months of graft to get to a position where I could offer my services.

I contacted my I.T savvy mate for advice, as I'd being checking out the prices on various 8GB RAM and i7 processor models, but then he says, go for 16GB. Basically, I'm looking for the best performance I can afford, but for a Lenovo 16GB you're talking about £1K, but for a Mac, you're talking £2K, although with half the disk space, 500GB as opposed to 1TB. He said he will convince me on Saturday, but it's all well and good him saying that, as he's been contracting for a number of years, and is highly skilled so on good money.

So, Tech Heads, what thinkest thou?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... html#cat-0 (classed as a 'Gamer' machine, but VAT back)

versus

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... html#cat-0

I'd have to wack this on my CC, along with next Summer's holiday, then transfer it to the new Nationwide CC with 15 months interest free, at 0.65% transfer fee, and pay off in 1 year, all being well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wouldn't call myself a Tech Head by any means albeit, opinions are free from wherever they come.

The Lenovo on appearance alone simply don't inspire me. No doubt a robust working model, but surely, you want your laptop to be sexy, you want inspiration if your business relies upon it, it becomes your second Wife perhaps.

Therefore, if you're serious about using it for your software design development ideas then, it is worth the extra dosh, but don't blame me if your business falls to rat-shit and you can only afford a weekend in a caravan in Barmouth for your summer holidays.

What about the software for your business plan, does that cost equal amounts for both operating systems and does it compare in functionality?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

They are all just tools to be used for your pleasure or business.

For business, Moscow has asked the right questions. Don't look at the machine first, work out what you want from a machine and then buy accordingly.

Mac software is expensive but good if not great for certain applications, PCs if your selling IT, are where the majority of UK owners, your customers, will lie.

Reverse your thinking. What do you really need and buy accordingly. You often don't need half of what you think you do and your first year accounts will thank you for your objectivity.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Too many choices these days, but to be fair to Barmouth, it actually has a nice beach, and if you like hill walking, you have a lovely walk up and round Cadir Idris, and The Rhinogs too. As for MY lapdog, not SEL's, I dunno...but if I can find one that pleasures me, then that will be worth the outlay.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
I'm going to get me a new lapdog, for software development purposes, as I want to get back in to it, and out of what I'm currently stuck in, but it may take several months of graft to get to a position where I could offer my services.

I contacted my I.T savvy mate for advice, as I'd being checking out the prices on various 8GB RAM and i7 processor models, but then he says, go for 16GB. Basically, I'm looking for the best performance I can afford, but for a Lenovo 16GB you're talking about £1K, but for a Mac, you're talking £2K, although with half the disk space, 500GB as opposed to 1TB. He said he will convince me on Saturday, but it's all well and good him saying that, as he's been contracting for a number of years, and is highly skilled so on good money.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... html#cat-0 (classed as a 'Gamer' machine, but VAT back)

versus

I'd have to wack this on my CC, along with next Summer's holiday, then transfer it to the new Nationwide CC with 15 months interest free, at 0.65% transfer fee, and pay off in 1 year, all being well.

That aint bad for a pc world effort. I was expecting a shite gfx card.

Apple anything are a pain in the arse in my opinion.

windows 8 is similarly shit as well tho.

There are some decent msi laptops on ebuyer that are good spec for the money. I do wonder why you need to spend huge money just for coding tho?

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:47 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
Embers wrote:

versus

That aint bad for a pc world effort. I was expecting a shite gfx card.

Apple anything are a pain in the arse in my opinion.

windows 8 is similarly shit as well tho.

There are some decent msi laptops on ebuyer that are good spec for the money. I do wonder why you need to spend huge money just for coding tho?

It will involve databases too, as I'll be lobbing Oracle 12c on there, so I'll need good processing, quad core, etc.

The one thing about latest laptops, is that fecking awful Windows 8. I can't stand it? Apparently Windows 10 will be reverting more to type.

I'll see what me mate says about Macs, before I decide, and apart from being sexier, why
I should go down that route.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

SEL, have you made your purchase yet? For the record, if you buy direct from Apple, they're currently doing a promotion where you can buy on 12 months interest free pay-back.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
SEL, have you made your purchase yet? For the record, if you buy direct from Apple, they're currently doing a promotion where you can buy on 12 months interest free pay-back.

So how much is the cheapest Apple Mac direct then?

Good opportunity for you to take a bite perhaps. :idea: :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

So how much is the cheapest Apple Mac direct then?

Good opportunity for you to take a bite perhaps. :idea: :lol:

I'm weighing it up. There's almost too many reviews and opinions out there, as to why you should by a Mac versus a Windows laptop, and vice versa, and it seems with Apple you're paying a premium for their individual style and reputation.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro

I guess the analogy is, if you can afford to buy a classy Hugo Boss suit, why buy a cheaper suit from M&S?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:30 am 
Manager
Manager

not a great analogy there embers as the operating systems are very different.

my mate bry has loads of mac things and won't buy a PC, we have constant discussions about which is better and never come to a conclusion.

until you've lived with one you will never know, I find they way they do things is infuriating and backwards but Bry reckons it has a natural flow that makes sense. For me they are expensive nonsense (like a prius or similar) that doesn't really work properly. i'll stick to my Mazda 6

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:

my mate bry has loads of mac things and won't buy a PC, we have constant discussions about which is better and never come to a conclusion.

until you've lived with one you will never know, I find they way they do things is infuriating and backwards but Bry reckons it has a natural flow that makes sense. For me they are expensive nonsense (like a prius or similar) that doesn't really work properly. i'll stick to my Mazda 6

I totally get where you're coming from, and having never used a Mac before, I'd basically be going on my mate's advice. He said he'd convince me, so I'll see what he has to say on Saturday. For the record, I have a very smart Hugo Boss suit, but my beer belly, and ample buttocks, render it unwearable at present, and for the same reason, I've got a Jaeger suit that I've only worn once :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
whelp wrote:

I totally get where you're coming from, and having never used a Mac before, I'd basically be going on my mate's advice. He said he'd convince me, so I'll see what he has to say on Saturday. For the record, I have a very smart Hugo Boss suit, but my beer belly, and ample buttocks, render it unwearable at present, and for the same reason, I've got a Jaeger suit that I've only worn once :oops:

I have a Hugo Boss and an Armani suit hanging in my wardrobe neither of which, I can now fasten the waist on so, that is why I buy a Marks n Sparks suit with two pairs of trousers one for then and one for now.

Last time I walked out of the changing room in the Shrewsbury M&S wearing a grey suit I was trying on with a black shirt, the Merchandiser got all steamy eyed like. You've either got it or you ain't and it ain't the inside or outside label that always counts, so incorporate that fact into your computer buying episode, but FFS, hurry up and buy at least ONE as this is getting boring now. :wink: :lol:

Mark Twain

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Help and advice