Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature

Share On:

Post subject: Dunkirk...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Tragic, that's all I can say beyond that despite being worth watching it's not imo as good as it's hyped up to be.

I've read about the historical inaccuracies but they don't bother me - it's not a documentary. The French don't like it because quite rightly they did play an important part in the evacuation and lost a lot of men but the film isn't about them, it's about a small number of inter-twined stories which make it an intriguing film but it isn't a great one and it could do with being a bit longer. I'd give it 7/10.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Dunkirk...
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am 
Manager
Manager

I see your point SEL, but I just couldn't get passed the glaring historical errors. I always hate American productions for re-writing history, I suppose I hoped for better from this. 5/10 for some decent acting at times.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:19 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
I see your point SEL, but I just couldn't get passed the glaring historical errors. I always hate American productions for re-writing history, I suppose I hoped for better from this. 5/10 for some decent acting at times.

The historical errors include the noses of the messerschmitts being yellow whereas at Dunkirk they weren't, the height of the air battles was deemed too low (but I suppose there would have been some low encounters), the fighters were not supposed to be able to see what was happening in detail on the ocean surface as they'd be too high up and other details like that.

Here are two more:
Quote:
Revealing mistake: When Corporal Bin's group of men eventually arrive at Dunkirk, they speak to a soldier adding sandbags to a Vicker's gun position. Here (and later on in the film when it is shown firing) it has a blank-firing adaptor prominently fitted to the front. Additionally the belt of ammunition shown going through it is filled with blanks - no bullets project outside the other side to that of the actual cartridge cases.

Factual error: The Sergeant-Major of the artillery section Corporal Bins and his men are briefly attached to has two of his medal ribbons round the wrong way. He has up the Victory and British War Medal ribbons, when they should be worn BWM and then VM. A mistake an experienced senior NCO would not make.

And two more:

New this week Factual error: When the returned soldiers are on the train at the end of the film, they are on what appears to be a modern open-plan train carriage. In the 1940s it would have been a compartment carriage.

New this week Deliberate mistake: The me-109 have painted yellow fronts, this wasn't done by the Germans until after Dunkirk. Christopher Nolan has admitted doing this deliberately so the audience could tell the difference between the spitfire and the me-109 during the combat scenes.

The train compartment was obviously wrong - the one I did actually notice on reflection, as it would have been a "slam-door" type but these details don't detract from the narrative. For those ITK I appreciate they're irritations...like the Routemaster bus anomalies. 8)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Off to see it tomorrow night, will post my thoughts on it later.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Great film, well worth watching. Forget the inaccuracies stated above, just sit and let yourself become one of the soldiers in the film and see how you might have reacted had you been involved in that scenario at Dunkirk and at sea. Grabs you straight off and keeps you focused. 9/10.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

I never pay attention to inaccuracies, it`s the movies, it`s always going to be entertainment based rather than factual. Going this weekend after we spank the `boro.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Glad I haven't put you two off from going; it was never my intention to do so...and as I said, I did rather enjoy it.

Let us know your thoughts about it, Desi. :wink:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Having watched the film today, I agree with SEL nowhere near the hype. The historical inaccuracies didn`t bother me greatly but I agree with suig, it`s a 5/10 from me. Trying to cram in too many story lines made the whole film a bit disjointed for me. I think they scrimped on the extras too, I`ve seen more people on Blackpool beach. Oh, wasn`t impressed with the background music either, and as for slowing down Elgar`s "Nimrod", it didn`t work for me. There was something else that irritated me too but we don`t do spoilers do we so I`ll leave it.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Looks like only myself enjoyed and rated the film...c'est la vie.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:

au contraire glad, the box office would beg to differ.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:

I wouldn't want to throw cold water on it but like others do't think it lived up to the hype. :wink:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

I ignore hype when watching a film, I just immerse myself in it and see what I feel when it has ended, how it moved me, did it get me thinking..??..did it leave me non plussed..??..was it worth losing two hours of my time..??..

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
I ignore hype when watching a film, I just immerse myself in it and see what I feel when it has ended, how it moved me, did it get me thinking..??..did it leave me non plussed..??..was it worth losing two hours of my time..??..

Well? Weren't you running the NAAFI on the Beach. :wink:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Have you watched it Moscow? What did you think of it?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Yes, I was running the NAAFI mobile canteen up and down the beach...guilty as charged... 8) :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Have you watched it Moscow? What did you think of it?

No Mate, I haven't viewed it yet as I can only find a 'cam version' so am waiting for the DVD version to become available.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
No Mate, I haven't viewed it yet as I can only find a 'cam version' so am waiting for the DVD version to become available.

Ar, let we know what you think when you do.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature