Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature

Share On:

Post subject: Re: BOOKS.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 am 
Manager
Manager

One that I'm looking forward to reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weak-Suffer-Wh ... 1568585047

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
One that I'm looking forward to reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weak-Suffer-Wh ... 1568585047

That looks like it could be quite an interesting, and insightful read, providing it's not biased.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Certainly agree with him on German bankers.

The Euro ( and by extension the EU ) only favours one country, giving the Germans an artificially cheap currency keeping their industry artificially competitive.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:33 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Certainly agree with him on German bankers.

The Euro ( and by extension the EU ) only favours one country, giving the Germans an artificially cheap currency keeping their industry artificially competitive.

Many years ago the UK, France and as it was then West Germany sat round a table and decided to carve up the European Union.

France was given agriculture, Germany manufacturing, The UK banking and the financial industry.

So if your in one of those countries with the wrong priority for you, you lost out.

France and Germany renegaded on agreements, The UK pretty much went along with the key principles.
They now have balanced economies, the UK is over reliant on one sector. Stitched up.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just read:
Freddie Flintoff 5/10
Ian wright 4/10
The secret footballer(dave kitson lol)4/10
Ray winstone 4/10
Roy Keane 5/10

One of the best books i have read for pure entertainment value was one of david ike's ffs borrowed it off a loon at work a few moons back.Anyway................ :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

Tom Bower: "Broken Vows -Tony Blair : The Tragedy of Power."

All about his time as PM for ten years, well worth reading.

Bower also wrote a book about corruption in football called: "Broken Dreams - Vanity, greed and the souring of football". One of the best football books I have read too.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Just finished reading `The Game of our Lives` by David Goldblatt. Marvellous book about football,not to be missed.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Just finished reading `The Game of our Lives` by David Goldblatt. Marvellous book about football,not to be missed.

Yep, very good book.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm 
First XI
First XI

gladbachwolf wrote:

He's one of my favorite footy commentators (not in the sense of match commentary). He used to appear regularly on a podcast called Dummy by Howler Magazine. Looked forward to his opinions weekly.

I have his "The Ball is Round" and just haven't gotten around to it yet. Though it may be a book that you just read a chapter or two a week and not straight through as it's massive. On my summer to do list.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:09 am 
Manager
Manager

The Panama Papers by Bastian Obermayer and Frederik Obermaier.

How the rich and powerful hide their money.

This story broke sometime in 2016. Amazing read.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have just finished reading a book called 'The fault in our stars' by John Green, and I have to say it nearly finished me.
It was utterly outstanding, beautifully written, facing and laughing at cancer through the eyes of it's "Victims", if you read it you will understand why I have speech marks around the term victims because they are, and are anything but, in equal measure. A truly inspiring book which had me in floods of tears but absolutely captivated by the narrative and separate stories of the cast.

If you are ever feeling shitty about your life, read this, I challenge you not to blart or call yourself a nappy wetting, shandy drinking pussy.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
I have just finished reading a book called 'The fault in our stars' by John Green, and I have to say it nearly finished me.
It was utterly outstanding, beautifully written, facing and laughing at cancer through the eyes of it's "Victims", if you read it you will understand why I have speech marks around the term victims because they are, and are anything but, in equal measure. A truly inspiring book which had me in floods of tears but absolutely captivated by the narrative and separate stories of the cast.

If you are ever feeling shitty about your life, read this, I challenge you not to blart or call yourself a nappy wetting, shandy drinking pussy.

The problem with books like this is they bring home just how callous and indiscriminate this awful disease is. Couldn’t read it as I'm a shandy drinking bed wetting.....erc etcetera

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
Rozza wrote:

The problem with books like this is they bring home just how callous and indiscriminate this awful disease is. Couldn’t read it as I'm a shandy drinking bed wetting.....erc etcetera

I take your point Mr ging, however, the tale has, at its heart, an uplifting tale of people finding the joy of love, and after all, how does one know joy if they do not know despair?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 am 
Manager
Manager

One thats current and relevant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Affairs ... 846687632/

In Secret Affairs, Mark Curtis shows how Britain has helped create the Islamic terrorism that now threatens us. Exploring how the bombings of 7/7 can be traced back to groups and individuals trained and supported by Britain, Curtis draws on formerly classified government files to unravel a long history of the British government's secret collusion with and direct involvement in Islamic terrorism, from 1945 to the present day.

From the overthrow of Iran's popular government during the 1950s and the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria, to Libya, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia's ruthless internal oppression, Secret Affairs shows Britain's hidden hand in the rise of global terrorism. At a time when British forces are being sent to wage war in Afghanistan in increasing numbers, Mark Curtis' book shows how the seeds of today's lose-lose situation were sown a long time ago in a hidden politics as ineffective as it was immoral.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Saving Capitalism ( For the many, not the few) by Robert Reich. Have yet to read it, purchased it for £4.99 in a bookshop in London last weekend. Sounds really interesting and should be right up your street. Knocker.. 8)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:37 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Saving Capitalism ( For the many, not the few) by Robert Reich. Have yet to read it, purchased it for £4.99 in a bookshop in London last weekend. Sounds really interesting and should be right up your street. Knocker.. 8)

Yep, will try.

I actually think capitalism and the whole Banking structure as we see it today has less than half a century left. Maybe thirty years.
The next century will look totally different.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:22 pm 
First XI
First XI

gladbachwolf wrote:

Can't stand Reich. He helped ruin the American economy during the Clinton administration (though he's backed off some of his decisions that he made back then). At least he's been vocal about the dunderhead in the White House.

I've currently got on my reading list:

Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X Kendi
The Political Economy of Racism by Melvin Leiman
Saga Part 2 by Brian K Vaughn (great graphic novel if anybody likes them)

I'd also like to read Alan Moore's Jerusalem, but I don't know how I am going to go about tackling that giant.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

Book claims Prince Charles is a capricious spendthrift obsessed with public opinion

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... -tom-bower

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature