Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature

Share On:

Post subject: The Hobbit Trilogy
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:31 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I do apologise if anything relating this has been posted, but I have to get this off my chest.

This trilogy sucks.

I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. They're probably my favourite films ever.

The Hobbit, however, is an insult to that trilogy, and the book it is based on.

An over reliance on CGI, too much fan service (Kingsthorn?! That's a weed & THE EAGLES ARE COMING!), and the insane amount of stupid, what the hell moments.

Peter Jackson, hang your head in shame.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit Trilogy
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Have to admit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy bored the socks off me ....can't be arsed with the hobbit as well.... zzzz yawn!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

DazDC5 wrote:
Have to admit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy bored the socks off me ....can't be arsed with the hobbit as well.... zzzz yawn!

The Lord of the Rings are an acquired taste, because of how long they are. I can accept that.

However, it is probably the best example of good film making from the last twenty years, in my opinion. The care and consideration taken from the source material, using physical sets to the point where these fantasy creatures were actors in make up not just crappy CGI, and using actors who pride themselves on only being in well written movies. It just works.

Then came the Hobbit trilogy. Don't bother with them. It's mindless crap, for 2 hours and 45 minutes a piece. Could have been whittled down to two, two hour movies.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

LOT rings films were good , the hobbit films disappointing and the last one was shite.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:02 am 
Manager
Manager

Can't watch LOTR or any of the spin offs, just think it seems so childish, that and computer generated rubbish to fill the screen.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:35 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Can't watch LOTR or any of the spin offs, just think it seems so childish, that and computer generated rubbish to fill the screen.

LOTR is for a mature audience, if you ask me, the Hobbit movies are definitely more child like.

Also, LOTR used mostly physical sets, and actual people to play the Orcs/Uruk-Hai. Using CGI sparingly, where it was physically impossible to use physical things.

Watch the final fight between Aragorn and Lurtz in The Fellowship of the Ring. Two grown men actually beating the shit out of each other. (The guy who was playing Lurtz couldn't see through his makeup properly, so Viggo who plays Aragorn, said "Just don't hold back, and hit me." Made it so authentic.)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

Supernoodle23 wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

LOTR is for a mature audience, if you ask me, the Hobbit movies are definitely more child like.

Also, LOTR used mostly physical sets, and actual people to play the Orcs/Uruk-Hai. Using CGI sparingly, where it was physically impossible to use physical things.

Watch the final fight between Aragorn and Lurtz in The Fellowship of the Ring. Two grown men actually beating the shit out of each other. (The guy who was playing Lurtz couldn't see through his makeup properly, so Viggo who plays Aragorn, said "Just don't hold back, and hit me." Made it so authentic.)

It'll end in tears.....or Mordor.....or wherever!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

lucca wolf wrote:
Supernoodle23 wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

It'll end in tears.....or Mordor.....or wherever!

I just can't keep any kind of concentration on these type of films, ten minutes in and I'm bored to tears, switch off or fall asleep.
Same with Star Wars, bunch of silly kids and robots running about in the Moroccan desert, just completely bores me.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 am 
First XI
First XI

Never before have I been more disappointed in a movie/s. Load of utter tripe. Tolkien is a gem, and LOTR did a bit of justice for what he created. The Hobbit almost tried to undo all that.

Feel bad for Martin Freeman, who I thought did a great job as Bilbo.

Last edited by MichiganWolf on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:34 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
Never before have I been disappointed in a movie/s before. Load of utter tripe. Tolkien is a gem, and LOTR did a bit of justice for what he created. The Hobbit almost tried to undo all that.

Feel bad for Martin Freeman, who I thought did a great job as Bilbo.

I feel the same. I think the LOTR movies were the perfect embodiment of the books. It couldn't have been 100% accurate, but it got everything it needed to get down well.

In the Hobbit, Martin Freeman was fantastic, as was Richard Armitage, but there were so many stupid moments. Poor CGI, and poor writing cost these movies dearly.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Music, Movies, TV, Gaming and Literature