Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House

Share On:

Post subject: HELP!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Dear Nutty and Kat,

I am at the end of my tether and I need advice. No matter how hard we try we cannot get our son to stay in his bed for more than a few hours. We made the cardinal sin when he first started teething at 4 months of picking him up out of his cot whenever he cried and, due to sheer knackeredness, would let him sleep with us. We then found that getting him to go in his cot AT ALL was near impossible. I know what you may be thinking, it's our fault for having him with us, but be this as it may it know needs to change.
He is now 2 and getting a big lad, we get him to sleep and put him in his own bed, 3 hours or less later and he comes walking into our room, gets in between me and the wife, takes up loads of room and thrashes about until I get up and go and sleep on the sofa which has done pretty much every night for the past 3 weeks now.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! I've been awake since 2 0'clock this morning and I'm ratty as hell.

How do we get him toi stay in his own bed?

Thanks in advance.

A fucking knackered Wednesbury Wolf :(

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Sounds like a case for

Last edited by Willenhall Wolf on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Willenhall Wolf wrote:
Sounds like a case for

You got her number?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm 
Most Successful Thrush Thrasher

Patience and perseverance young man...... :wink:

Don't forget you are encouraging this sleep pattern for your young 'un by moving out....
If you have eliminated the obvious such as illness, toilet, etc, the 'gradual withdrawal' method is great....although it does take time, and you have to be consistent throughout.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:47 pm 
Red Card
Red Card

Lock his door and put some ear muffs on.

If not before you know it he will be grown up, be bringing his girlfriend around to share your bed :roll:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:50 pm 

DR THROTTLE wrote:

If not before you know it he will be grown up, be bringing his girlfriend around to share your bed :roll:

Is that why you always wanted a son? :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Oh dear oh dear oh dear 8)

Right.........first things first!....You aint done anything that any other parent aint done so dont beat yourself up over it, we ALL make those mistakes. A parents natural reaction is to comfort their child, if he/she cries you pick them up and comfort them. I have been through this 3 times with mine, and dare say my grand child due in December will be the next lol :lol:

It's not something that cant be undone mate, but believe me, like nuttster says, you have got to fix the rules and stick to them rigidly. Obviously you have to take into account that there could be something wrong if he cries, but I am sure that at two years of age, you can already identify the cries of pain, hunger,thirst etc from the cries of anger and wanting to get ones own way.

Here's what I did....I stopped putting baby to bed once I had rocked him/her to sleep!...I put them to bed awake, and I let them shake the hell out of the sides of the cot whilst sobbing screaming wailing and stamping. I sat at the top of the stairs reading the newspaper where they could see me, and did not react. It broke my bloody heart to do it, but after 3 nights of this same routine of the screaming abdabs it became easier. Another trick I used was to do the hoovering of all the bedrooms, they soon learned that I could not hear their screaming and wailing above the hoover, and they just lay down and went to sleep. I particularly liked this one, because it meant that I had not got to tiptoe around once they went to bed, and I think they felt comforted by the fact that they could hear me pottering around.

I notice from you post that your son gets out of bed and then comes and gets in with you and his mom....put a bloody stairgate up at his bedroom door :lol:

I had two babies in 11.5 months so I needed to get a routine established.....It worked for me, GOOD LUCK! :D

Female with a kat o nine tails ~~~~ be warned

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Write to Dr.Mccann(either one) :?

They got a nice line of sedatives :cry:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well wednesbury wolf aint replied....he is obviously too knackered after all his late nights and early mornings :shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:27 am 
Manager
Manager

Sorry Kat!

The past 2 nights have gone like this:

Wednesday : Got the young man to sleep and decided to take root in his bedroom and sleep on the floor by his bed. I read somewhere that if you do this for a period of time then gradually stay in there shorter period of time then it's a good way of training them to stay in their own bed. Woke up at 4am, he had'nt got out of his bed at all, I felt ill (got manflu on the way I think) and went and got in my bed. 5 AM and in his walks, gets in between me and the wife, thrashes about, dad goes and gets in his bed! I'm 6 foot and his bed must be 5 ft 5 long. I woke up feeling poorly and cramped up. My own fault for not seeing it through all night.

Last Night: Josh had'nt slept all day so assumed he would be knackered. Put him to bed at 8 o clock and went to bed myself as I felt like shit. Was woken up by a fist full in the face at half 5 this morning, later than usual granted, he'd obviously got in with s without waking me and had one almighty thrah and twatted me one! That was when I got up.

I really need to persevere with the lying on his floor think I think but I really have felt like shit the past few days.

:cry:

I'll go and buy a stairgate to put across his door in the morning I think.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Dont stop in his room mate........put him to bed awake and stay the course on the landing like I told ya.....It does work :roll:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:33 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

The vacuum trick has always worked for us, all four of mine have fallen asleep to the vacuum; not very useful though at 5 in the morning :(

SteveT

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A moat and a roll of barbed wire at the bedroom door might do the trick.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

SteveT wrote:
The vacuum trick has always worked for us, all four of mine have fallen asleep to the vacuum; not very useful though at 5 in the morning :(

SteveT

It is a good idea Steve....I used it quite a lot with one of my brood......they just wont compete with it, and soon fall asleep 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:53 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I used to stick mine in the car and go for a drive........asleep in 15 mins. :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:03 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Yep, motion does it as well. Anything loud as mentioned earlier vac, radio, washing machine or rocking, car etc will work. However I don't think the problem is the little man getting to sleep; its getting him to stay asleep.

There's no easy way bro', you just have to persist in getting out of bed and returning him to his. The key word there is persist, cause it isn't an overnight thing. All the best.

SteveT

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The stairgate at his bedroom door is the answer Steve.........you gotta stop the bugger getting outta the room

I aint super nanny.......but I will be in December 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So Wednesbury......have you got the little wolf trained yet? 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Kat, little Wolf has been really ill for the last 3 days. Seriously high temperature, sickness, diarhhea, sore bum, the lot.

It's calmed down now though so we'll give it a few days and then start to try and train him again. First time he's been ill since he was born and it's worried me and the wife like you would'nt believe. :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm 

Sorry to hear he's not well chicks......
But it won't be the last time, and before you know it you'll be wrinkled and grey like me....thats what kids do to you.... :wink:

You'll get there in the end, it really is patience and perseverance....
It won't always be this bad.................it'll be worse..... :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Awww sorry to hear that Wednesbury Wolf......hope he is on the road to a full recovery. Like nutster said, sadly, it WILL NOT be the last time :roll:

Take it from a mother that has spent half her bloody life in New Cross Hospital :cry:

I am sure when the time is right for you and mini wolf, all will go well :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Thanks for the words ladies, he's a bit better now....screamed the doctors down though cus I would'nt let him run around and try and hold him still. GRRRR!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A kids job is to make your life as difficult as possible......and THEY DO 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:20 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

I'm guessing by the indicated "panic" this is your first one?

By the time you have a few more you will be well versed at what to do and when to do it. The more you have the more relaxed you become during times of concern.

SteveT

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That is true to a degree steve, however.....I can remember the first time I was told that my daughter had a bone tumour, I can remember the panic and utter despair. I can remember feeling utter relief that it was all over when she was operated on and subsequently discharged. I can remember the sheer and utter devastation at being told that she had a second tumour, having been told after the first that it was very unlikely that there would be a reoccurence :roll:

I can remember the devastation at the same child being diagnosed with Asthma, and I can remember the devastation at being told that after a few admissions with kidney problems, that she has a scarred kidney :roll:

Things dont always get easier :cry:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:45 am 
Manager
Manager

well it's quarter to 6 and I've been up since 4.....needless to say the 'training' is'nt going the best :roll: :(

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House