Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House

Share On:

Post subject: The Last Shift....
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:22 pm 
Most Successful Thrush Thrasher

I was lucky enough yesterday to spend a few quality hours with my dad and some of his old working mates. All ex miners, and all of them worked at local pit for 35-40 years....
I love listening to their stories about the grafting, the friendships and the tragedies...and a glass was raised to those who were no longer around. I could have busted with pride when 2 blokes who are well into their 70s told me how my dad 'saved' them from disaster when part of the face caved in, and took part in numerous rescues over the years. Some terrible injuries by all accounts....
A lengthy discussion over what folk took for their snap took place, and it brought back memories of my job as a babby of wrapping my dads bread and dripping snap in newspaper...If I did it good I'd get a lucky bag from pit canteen on a Friday night :wink:
Topics such as shift work, the black 'eyeliner' effect that never seemed to wash off, the fact that no one ever went on 'the box', the 'bank' workers, and Maggie Thatcher were all debated...
Talk turned to closure of Daw Mill pit, last one in Warwickshire, and whilst it wasn't the most local pit, a few of the men had worked there in the past. My dad scoffed at this point and said mining in 'Super pits' was nowt like the 'real thing' of being on your hands and knees with a shovel in a 3 foot face, which is what he did for most of his 40 years in the dark.

I only know of one Wolf member who has done a few shifts down the pit...

But as I was sitting there listening I was reminded of the other thread 'Do real men cry?'...
There was no sobbing yesterday, but there were a few glassy eyes...and I dare anyone to say that these blokes are not real men....

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: The Last Shift....
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

There's a truth and honesty when you look in an old folks eyes, not more so than an old miner, we should treat our old folk better.

Thanks for the thoughts it gives the day a balance.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 pm 

knocker knowles wrote:
There's a truth and honesty when you look in an old folks eyes, not more so than an old miner, we should treat our old folk better.

Well according to the 'Dispatches' programme other night the majority of pensioners are livnig life of luxury.... :?

I dunno Knocker...it feels more than thoughts... It's a way of life, and pretty soon there won't be any old miners left, and my 'history' and everything ingrained in me will be lost, from this part of the world anyway.
I thank God my kids don't have to go down the pits, but at the same time feel as though they're missing out... :?
I guess places where the mills or steelworks were major employers feel the same...
I think I'm getting old :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ordinary folk just asked for the opportunity to earn a fair days pay for hard graft, when that was removed you created deprivation and dereliction.
Its a sad greed filled world.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm 

I'm not sure about all the financial implications, I'm too dim for all that...
But I miss the 'honesty' and integrity in folk who only have their own needs at top pf the list...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

No worries Nutty as they'll no doubt build large out of town shopping malls in place of the pits that can keep all the unemployed and never employed warm during the day.

I would hazard a guess that not one Member on here hasn't some relative or friend that wasn't affected by the ruination of British Industry. All my family going back to Grandfathers were involved in some part of steel making. Its all gone now and became the Merry Hill Shopping centre and housing estates. Even where I started out as an Apprentice in the early 70's has gone. We still take the pee out of Level Street that was anything but level during my youth.

Older folk always have a way of telling us younger one's just how much harder they had it than we do. My Father's favourite pee take was saying the mattresses of today's Army weren't stuffed with straw (palliases or similar I think they were called). Love the referral to 'SNAP', I had always thought that that term was a Northern one - wonder where it originates from.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Littleton Colliery 1993-2013

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Ditto

Nutty, did the chaps talk about any suspicions or traditions of their days down the mine? I ask, as I took my Joe down a copper mine in Wales recently, and the 'tour guide' told us that if the miners saw a Robin near the entrance of the mine, they would not go down that day, as the Robin was seen as an 'Angel of Death'.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 pm 

Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Ditto

Nutty, did the chaps talk about any suspicions or traditions of their days down the mine? I ask, as I took my Joe down a copper mine in Wales recently, and the 'tour guide' told us that if the miners saw a Robin near the entrance of the mine, they would not go down that day, as the Robin was seen as an 'Angel of Death'.

Embers, I asked my dad about whether him or the blokes had anything like this....
He laughed his head off, and said if there weren't a fire, flood or collapse you went down the face. Nobody could afford to lose a shifts pay....
I asked if anything scared him down the pit and he said a few things....but he reckons none were as scary as going to see the nurse with a hot darning needle through the nail :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

nuttymate wrote:
Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Ditto

Embers, I asked my dad about whether him or the blokes had anything like this....
He laughed his head off, and said if there weren't a fire, flood or collapse you went down the face. Nobody could afford to lose a shifts pay....
I asked if anything scared him down the pit and he said a few things....but he reckons none were as scary as going to see the nurse with a hot darning needle through the nail :lol:

Best not ask him what they did, if they needed an Eartha Kitt down the pit, after being egg-bound.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:52 am 
Manager
Manager

When I was a little lad my Grandpa used to sneak me in the "smoker" when he took me for a walk around the park. It was full of his mates who'd all served in the Great War. As knocker said, their view on life forged through true suffering is now lost on the x-box generation.

Oh I saw quite few of the old boys take swings at each other, but all settled with a handshake and a pint.

So much to learn from the elderly.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm 

suiging wrote:

So much to learn from the elderly.

Yes, I agree....
At the moment my daughter is round her nans doing a spot of baking :lol:
There are some things the internet just can't replace....

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House