Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House

Share On:

Post subject: CANCERS
 Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am 
Manager
Manager

A serious topic and not a pisstake thread at all.

I read that a fair few members on here have lost relatives and friends to the Big C. I am aware of Pogue that is currently in remission and I wish him all the very best in his continuing fight against this awful condition.

However, I am just wondering about PREVENTION or early diagnosis in the UK nowadays. My first Wife used to get a card through the post inviting her for a Smear Test (think it was every couple of years), but she would refuse to go as she said it was very unpleasant. I didn't know much about Cervical Cancer back then, but my Second Wife was/is a top Russian Gynaecologist/Oncologist and I was far more aware of the treatments in Moscow and the condition in general.

My own Mother by pure chance filled in for someone else at one of those mobile Mammograms and a growth/cyst was discovered and operated on followed by a course of some wonder drugs for some years until she got the all clear.

I myself was diagnosed with an enlarged Prostrate at around 40 years of age which is quite early on average and every now and again, I have to take some blood test or have a finger up the bum which is okay as I have a very nice Female Bulgarian Doctor at the moment. It is also a good excuse for other activities which I find X channels a great stimulation. Anyway, that's my flippant outlook on what could be serious, but I am far more concerned about the large scarring in my Oesophagus which increases my percentage chances of contracting some very nasty cancer and again, I really have to motivate myself to allow Doctors to shove a mini Channel 4 TV crew down my throat which I absolutely abhor. A Doctor can't even touch my tongue with a wooden spatula without me retching my guts up and I found out many years later that my Father couldn't even swallow a tablet without first crushing it. The problem with having been married to an Oncologist was that at the first sign of anything cancerous, I was rushed off to her colleagues to have tubes shoved up this or down that. :cry:

I did read a few years ago about something called Ablation (sp.) where some top London Gastrointestinal Doctor found away to treat these scars with a minute laser, but again on the end of a tube. It wouldn't be so bad if they could knock me out, but apparently, they can only sedate me. So far, I have refused all sedation and only allowed some numbing spray in the throat as it stops me driving for 48 hours, but I reckon next time, I will have to submit to being as sedated as possible. It was going to set me back around £10k last time I looked a few years ago, but perhaps it is more available now and even cheaper. I am not entitled to NHS treatment nowadays, but it could be administered on a discretionary basis so perhaps I'll have to charm the Doctors into treating me.

So, was is your experience or take on this disease, its diagnosis, treatment and prevention?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: CANCERS
 Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I havent lost any family members to cancer but it's a constant worry for me that I will get it. Don't know why im just convinced I will die young and leave my beautiful kids. I think I took one to many drugs in my teens and my brain still isn't rite. Anyway I suppose I would rather get it myself than watch one of my kids go through it.

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am 
Manager
Manager

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, back in 1985, just as I was about to tackle my O-Levels, and it came out that my Dad had been knocking of my mate's Mom. A tough time all round, but 28 years later, and my Mom is still going strong, and is just setting off for two weeks of Turkish sunshine. I guess she was lucky. Her youngest brother is with her, and he had a cancer on his head, which had to be grafted, and he now takes preventative drugs, I think. I'd like to say be careful when you're out in the sun, but that aint a problem in the UK :roll:

I do worry a lot, seeing as I'm married with young kids, and I'd like to have a proper MOT, scans and all, but that's costly. Still, if in doubt, get down the Docs.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Quite a lot of interesting research being done on the role of virus infection and cancer (not just Douglas).

My mother fell in Thailand some years ago and from the bruise on her leg developed cancerous tissue and she died less than a year latter of lung cancer (secondary).

Always seems to be a trigger.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Reading today that Vinnie Jones has been diagnosed with that skin cancer.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

saw my name mentioned so thought id post. im in temporary remission clear for 2 years after 2 operations. my cancer was malignant melanoma the most lethal skin cancer and I was diagnosed at stage 3c just below stage 4 terminal cancer. I think I have stated here that mine was very rare as I had it on the penis which resulted in a partial penectomy [amputating 5''] how do you get it there I hear you say? well melanoma is usualy started by the sun or it could be genetic, mine was neither it was a mutant cell which can start anywhere!! so how do you avoid that? you cannot. I spend hours per week raising awareness on this cancer and realise early detection is vital unlike my own where I was given false security through mis diagnosis. one thing I know is that men will hide anything to do with something wrong with their bits and ignore it, do so at your own peril. if you find anything wrong 'down there' then man up and get to see a doctor asap it could well save your life. if you need any help on these issues im here for you.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

wwfcpogue wrote:
saw my name mentioned so thought id post. im in temporary remission clear for 2 years after 2 operations. my cancer was malignant melanoma the most lethal skin cancer and I was diagnosed at stage 3c just below stage 4 terminal cancer. I think I have stated here that mine was very rare as I had it on the penis which resulted in a partial penectomy [amputating 5''] how do you get it there I hear you say? well melanoma is usualy started by the sun or it could be genetic, mine was neither it was a mutant cell which can start anywhere!! so how do you avoid that? you cannot. I spend hours per week raising awareness on this cancer and realise early detection is vital unlike my own where I was given false security through mis diagnosis. one thing I know is that men will hide anything to do with something wrong with their bits and ignore it, do so at your own peril. if you find anything wrong 'down there' then man up and get to see a doctor asap it could well save your life. if you need any help on these issues im here for you.

Pogue, I worry about cancer, mainly skin and bowel, but how do you go to the docs and demand a scan? I.e. I've seen blood when I've had a crap, now and then (I'm regular), and had the odd bit of flaky skin, which I've scratched off, and it left a pink bit behind?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

firstly you should not have blood coming out of your body unlike a woman every month,if you have seen blood in your motion then get to the docs asap,it could be piles it could be cancer? where are you having this flaky skin? on your penis glans?

Post subject: MALE CANCER AWARENESS
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinfor ... ancer.aspx

HOPE IT HELPS

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

wwfcpogue wrote:
firstly you should not have blood coming out of your body unlike a woman every month,if you have seen blood in your motion then get to the docs asap,it could be piles it could be cancer? where are you having this flaky skin? on your penis glans?

No it was on my forearm, then a bit on my bicep. It was like a little light brown scab-come-mole.

When I was a youth, I was a bit reckless in the sun, and have been sun-burnt a few times.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

word of advice GO TO THE DOCS get him to refer you to a dermatologist. most moles which raise and become flaky could be melanoma. folk say 'its just skin cancer' but I assure you it spreads like wildfire to other organs. I will put a link up for you, hang on. have a good read

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... a-symptoms

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

wwfcpogue wrote:
word of advice GO TO THE DOCS get him to refer you to a dermatologist. most moles which raise and become flaky could be melanoma. folk say 'its just skin cancer' but I assure you it spreads like wildfire to other organs. I will put a link up for you, hang on. have a good read

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... a-symptoms

Nice one, I shall get on to it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:32 am 
Manager
Manager

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cancer-of- ... ction.aspx

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am 
Manager
Manager

the stuff here is just the tip of the iceberg I do elsewhere but thanks for the comment.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

My Grandfather on my Dad's side passed away after a long battle with prostrate cancer in 2001.

I lost my Mum to oesophageal cancer on March 16th 2012. She was diagnosed in February 2011 (Stage 3/4). They operated on 2nd June 2011, the surgeon told us that he'd removed the tumour and that the procedure was a success.

Sadly, Mum was told that the cancer had returned in late November 2011, and there was nothing they could do. She only had a few months left to live. :cry:

My Grandfather on my Mum's side has been battling prostrate cancer. The doctors have given him drugs to control it, he's also having chemotherapy. Grandad is 78 years old.

My Uncle Alan, married to my Mum's sister was also diagnosed with oesophageal cancer this year. Thankfully they've caught it early, (Stage 1/2 I think?) operated and he's now recovering well. Fingers crossed.

My Japanese Grandmother (my Mum's Mum) lost a couple of her sisters to the disease. They lived on an island in Hiroshima Bay called Etajima. On the morning America dropped the atom bomb my Grandmother was on a boat going to school on the mainland. She was 16 (she's now 85).

Afterwards they went to see the devastation and walked on the ashes. This could have been a possible cause?

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cancer-of- ... ction.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_cancer

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Last edited by wolvesforever_1979 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
My Grandfather on my Dad's side passed away after a long battle with prostrate cancer in 2001.

I lost my Mum to oesophageal cancer on March 16th 2012. She was diagnosed in February 2011 (Stage 3/4). They operated on 2nd June 2011, the surgeon told us that he'd removed the tumour and that the procedure was a success.

Sadly, Mum was told that the cancer had returned in late November 2011, and there was nothing they could do. She only had a few months left to live. :cry:

My Grandfather on my Mum's side has been battling prostrate cancer. The doctors have given him drugs to control it, he's also having chemotherapy. Grandad is 78 years old.

My Uncle Alan, married to my Mum's sister was also diagnosed with oesophageal cancer this year. Thankfully they've caught it early, (Stage 1/2 I think?) operated and he's now recovering well. Fingers crossed.

My Japanese Grandmother (my Mum's Mum) lost a couple of her sisters to the disease. They lived on an island in Hiroshima Bay called Etajima. On the morning America dropped the atom bomb my Grandmother was on a boat going to school on the mainland. She was 16 (she's now 85).

Afterwards they went to see the devastation and walked on the ashes. This could have been a possible cause?

Chris, two questions:

1. Was the oesophageal cancer linked to smoking?

2. Could you play for Japan?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:40 pm 

1. Yes, the doctors say that both heavy smoking and drinking are major factors.

2. I'm 1/4 Japanese, so technically yes I can. :P

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

1. Yes, the doctors say that both heavy smoking and drinking are major factors.

2. I'm 1/4 Japanese, so technically yes I can. :P

Heyyyyyy Chris...

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10 am 

Very nice mate. Thanks for making me smile. :smt023

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:33 am 
Manager
Manager

You ever been to Japan? If not, save your pennies, or make up some sponsorship scam, and get over there. The fact that you have some Japanese heritage, makes this a must, and by all counts, Japan is a fascinating country, with quite a unique culture. I worked with a chap back in the day, who was in to Japan, although he was in to Japan the band, but he went over there, and came back with, and married a Japanese wench. He was doing some teaching at the time, but they were fascinated by him, as a foreigner, and an Englishman, and even though his hair is as dark as yours, they thought he was blonde, in comparison to their black hair. Seriously, go and search that part of the family tree, meet some ancestors, learn some Japanese, and show them your Jap's Eye :wink:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 am 

Embers wrote:

You ever been to Japan? If not, save your pennies, or make up some sponsorship scam, and get over there. The fact that you have some Japanese heritage, makes this a must, and by all counts, Japan is a fascinating country, with quite a unique culture. I worked with a chap back in the day, who was in to Japan, although he was in to Japan the band, but he went over there, and came back with, and married a Japanese wench. He was doing some teaching at the time, but they were fascinated by him, as a foreigner, and an Englishman, and even though his hair is as dark as yours, they thought he was blonde, in comparison to their black hair. Seriously, go and search that part of the family tree, meet some ancestors, learn some Japanese, and show them your Jap's Eye :wink:

As the eldest grandchild, I'm pushing 35 now, I would love to go over there and visit the relatives, but it's MEGA expensive.

Grandma and Grandad have been back a couple of times ('82, '93 and '00) since they returned to England in 1969 I think it was? Grandad was stationed over there in the British Army when he first met Grandma.

The Army didn't take too kindly to their relationship so they sent Grandad to Singapore. Grandma followed him, a decision her family weren't happy about either. Marrying a westerner was considered taboo in those days.

She told us that her father had said to her, if you choose to marry him don't come back whilst I'm still alive.

In 1993 they took my youngest cousin at the time with them, Lauren she was five.

In 2000 I gave them my 1996/97 Wolves shirt to pass on to Grandma's nephew who was football mad. I got his Sanfrecce Hiroshima shirt in return. :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

yesterday 14/8 I was told the cancer I had as spread to my brain lungs and adrelan gland making me stage 4 terminal. im having a mri scan soon to see if the tumour on my brain is operable then the other tumours will be treated by drugs.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

wwfcpogue wrote:
yesterday 14/8 I was told the cancer I had as spread to my brain lungs and adrelan gland making me stage 4 terminal. im having a mri scan soon to see if the tumour on my brain is operable then the other tumours will be treated by drugs.

Bloody hell Pogue. How do we respond to that. Puts things like football into perspective. I just wish you all the best with any operations and treatment.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:40 am 
Manager
Manager

That's dreadful news, obviously. I hope it all goes as well as it can do, Pogue.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

hoping to get brain surgery soon. terminal cancer is no longer a death sentence there are drugs that can slow cancer down and even shrink it. the prognosis isn't good but its only statistics. im going to fight this to give me more time.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

Keep scrapping Pogue. I see that WIlko Johnson is still with us, much to his surprise, and has just had radical surgery for his terminal cancer.

Just keep pestering the specialists, and get everything you need doing, as soon as possible. If you ever fancy a beer and a chat, let me know.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

wwfcpogue wrote:
hoping to get brain surgery soon. terminal cancer is no longer a death sentence there are drugs that can slow cancer down and even shrink it. the prognosis isn't good but its only statistics. im going to fight this to give me more time.

Christ, have never met you, only seen your photograph from a news-link you posted and yet, feel somewhat attached in a remote way.

These kind of posts are usually preferably ignored as folk just don't know what to say or how to say it and I am in the same boat. All I do know is that we will all die at some stage from something including natural causes. You just have to take each day as it comes and cherish them as long as you can, but you already know that and each and everyday is a bonus.

Never give up the Fight for Life.

I sincerely hope what I wrote comes across okay and is not misconstrued - I'm not used to writing replies to such news.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:50 am 
Manager
Manager

thanks Moscow its a good post .your right it can be very hard for people to respond to such bad news for me I can say words such as cancer being the recipient of this cruel violation to my life and yes we will all die one day my day coming sooner than I thought. 'out of darkness cometh light'

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

wwfcpogue wrote:
thanks Moscow its a good post .your right it can be very hard for people to respond to such bad news for me I can say words such as cancer being the recipient of this cruel violation to my life and yes we will all die one day my day coming sooner than I thought. 'out of darkness cometh light'

Dear Pogue, I was discussing your situation with my far younger than myself Wife today who does not wish to hear or accept that I will die many years before her if life's pattern takes its natural cause.

In the same vain, I was explaining how unfair it seems that healthy people (perhaps mentally depressed) can take their own lives when folk such as yourself are striving to live and want to live.

Whichever way you look at it, life has never been fair albeit, some folk don't get the chance or the warning to put their house in order so as not to leave their relatives with a large headache to sort out once the day of reckoning arrives and it does, for all of us.

I understand what you are preparing for although the battle is far from over yet - hopefully. Your honesty and openness about your condition and your warnings to others is of merit and most honourable.

If we as a group of Internet Posters on The Wolf can do anything for YOU then, please ask and I will try to organise it within the limited powers I have on this Forum.

Salute.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:57 am 
Manager
Manager

thank you so much Moscow respect. although im now stage 4 it is no longer a death sentence, ive been refered to see a top brain surgeon at the QE on the 8th of September when he returns off holiday then before that I will have a mri scan which he will peruse and decide if the brain tumour is operable if not there are other options such as the 'gamma knife' which works well. on to the other tumours in my lungs and adrenal gland they will be treated with the many drugs that are available for melanoma ,so as you can see there is hope for me to live a few more years but sadly no cure. yes I have time to do things but sadly my bucket list is small at the moment as my driving license as been taken away because of the brain tumour. on a sadder note my wife told me to plan my funeral and put it in a sealed envelope and today I have to tell my 13 year old granddaughter the truth about my illness which will be very traumatic. on a lighter note im planning a trip to see a wolves game meeting up with a few mates in the moon have a good drink, take in the game, more drinks post game and a balti.

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Nutty & Kat's Counsel House