Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:44 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15791
Location: Moved
Martin Offiah

Not a bad player of "upt north" rugby for a tractor boy....

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:48 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20625
Location: Four Oaks
suiging wrote:
Martin Offiah

Not a bad player of "upt north" rugby for a tractor boy....



Worth it for one of the best nicknames ever.

_________________
The next level awaits - Euros now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:06 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:10 pm
Posts: 20829
Location: 10% tax island
greatest cheats
maradona
lance armstrong
assorted cricketers

_________________
http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... time-table


Wolverhampton Wanderers, the Beatles of football!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:43 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15791
Location: Moved
yeanderwolf wrote:
greatest cheats
maradona
lance armstrong
assorted cricketers


And Milli Vanilli

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:35 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: Newent- Glos
suiging wrote:
yeanderwolf wrote:
greatest cheats
maradona
lance armstrong
assorted cricketers


And Milli Vanilli



You would have to be on drugs to think that name up.

_________________
I like music in the dressing room - Football is a party not a prison.
Lius Enrique


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am
Posts: 5548
yeanderwolf wrote:
greatest cheats
maradona
lance armstrong
assorted cricketers


Hansie cronje

Faking his own death puts him in a league of his own

_________________
Out of darkness cometh a chink of light


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 1211
Image

Surprised at no mention for this cool customer......


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 2696
Location: Tipton
Back on topic - Howard Winstone?

_________________
Follow the Wolves Supporters club on twitter, @WolvesSFC or visit the website www.wolvessfc.webs.com

"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23231
Location: Cannock.
wolvessupportersfc wrote:
Back on topic - Howard Winstone?


Strange one to pick out, though Howard was very good rather than great.

As far as British fighters go he would be in the top ten of all time, perhaps no higher than 8 to 10 though.

The great Carmen Basilio passed away today. RIP Warrior.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:54 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:35 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: Newent- Glos
Been reading a lot about great sportsman of the Edwardian era, some names for you.

Jim Thorpe
Duke Kahanamoko
Viv Woodward
CB Fry
Sandy Turnbull

Great players and great characters.

_________________
I like music in the dressing room - Football is a party not a prison.
Lius Enrique


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15791
Location: Moved
C B Fry was an absolute amazing sportsman. Try jumping backwards onto your mantlepiece from a standing start and see how you do.... One of my all time heroes

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 2696
Location: Tipton
knocker knowles wrote:
wolvessupportersfc wrote:
Back on topic - Howard Winstone?


Strange one to pick out, though Howard was very good rather than great.

As far as British fighters go he would be in the top ten of all time, perhaps no higher than 8 to 10 though.

The great Carmen Basilio passed away today. RIP Warrior.


What if he had two full hands?

_________________
Follow the Wolves Supporters club on twitter, @WolvesSFC or visit the website www.wolvessfc.webs.com

"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:51 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23231
Location: Cannock.
4 May 1780. The first Derby was run at Epsom. The winner was Diomed who later became a fabulous
burger on my great, great, great grandfathers George Foreman Grill.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 am 
Offline
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 246
football lionel messi

tennis john mcenroe

formula1 lewis hamilton

boxing roberto duran

cricket ian botham

golf jack nicklaus

olympian carl lewis


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23231
Location: Cannock.
Christine Ohuruogu, i just think she is bloody marvelous. Kathy Cook couldn't have lost her record to a nicer person.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:35 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: Newent- Glos
I am not that keen on formula one, but I would nominate Mark Weber. A top competitor in his own field, but also a good all round athlete. He organises his own adventure race in Tasmania every year that raises a lot for good causes. I met him at a cycling event we were both riding a couple of years ago, a genuine bloke.

_________________
I like music in the dressing room - Football is a party not a prison.
Lius Enrique


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
Offline
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:22 pm
Posts: 1211
knocker knowles wrote:
Christine Ohuruogu, i just think she is bloody marvelous. Kathy Cook couldn't have lost her record to a nicer person.


Didn't she get her knickers in a twist + threaten to run for another nation after being suspended for missing THREE drugs tests?

Missing one could possibly be careless, but missing 3? Every other athelete has to adhere to the strictest of rules to comply, bit of a smack in the mouth for them.

Considering Rio was made an example of for missing one test, different sports but smacks of sporting agendas.

I've no doubt she was clean but doping tests are there to be adhered to for a reason, failure to comply undermines the system, surely?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:09 pm
Posts: 2746
Location: Hinckley
As he plays his 200th and last test match, may I add the name of Sachin Tendulkar to the list.

_________________
Out of darkness cometh light, out of Scotland came Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am
Posts: 5548
FrankMunro-371 wrote:
As he plays his 200th and last test match, may I add the name of Sachin Tendulkar to the list.


who is the best batsman you've ever seen?

my dad say viv richards (i think) - i'm a bit too young to remember viv, lara is my fave - it's a tired old cliche but i genuinely found him a joy to watch, so elegant and graceful yet ferocious and destructive

_________________
Out of darkness cometh a chink of light


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:07 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23231
Location: Cannock.
Batsman, I used to watch Greame Hick a lot down New Road, late afternoon, early evening. Those county bowlers just didn't know where to bowl.

Ironically helping the Aussies get the Beer in next week. I like left arm spin.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:26 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20625
Location: Four Oaks
I watched David Gower score 200 against India at Edgbaston once. It was sublime. Boycott made one of his dour scores and Botham came in and blasted a few but watching Gower was just something else to me. Perhaps it was him being a leftie.

_________________
The next level awaits - Euros now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:54 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:35 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: Newent- Glos
In my younger days I was priveliged to see Zaheer Abbas bat a few times, including a faultless double century, always felt he was underated.

_________________
I like music in the dressing room - Football is a party not a prison.
Lius Enrique


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:58 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23231
Location: Cannock.
forest wolf wrote:
In my younger days I was priveliged to see Zaheer Abbas bat a few times, including a faultless double century, always felt he was underated.



Loved Zaheer made big scores and was never satisfied, great attitude to keep on scoring. My type.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am
Posts: 5548
knocker knowles wrote:
Batsman, I used to watch Greame Hick a lot down New Road, late afternoon, early evening. Those county bowlers just didn't know where to bowl.

Ironically helping the Aussies get the Beer in next week. I like left arm spin.


when i was about 12/13 i used to try and copy his cover drive - well, it wasnt really a drive, it was just a small push through cover at the same moment he'd land his front foot - saw him play that shot quite often on tv and was in awe of how simple and effortless he made it look - i could play a decent range of strokes but that was always the one that prompted a "shot" from umpires/coaches

left back - i know what you mean about lefties, there's always something a bit special about them i find - oddly enough as someone who writes left handed i bat and bowl with the right - when i batted though i always felt it was the left hand, my top hand which was dominant as i was much more naturally a touch player than a powerful hitter

_________________
Out of darkness cometh a chink of light


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20625
Location: Four Oaks
chriskamara wrote:
left back - i know what you mean about lefties, there's always something a bit special about them i find - oddly enough as someone who writes left handed i bat and bowl with the right - when i batted though i always felt it was the left hand, my top hand which was dominant as i was much more naturally a touch player than a powerful hitter


Yes.There does often seem to be something more elegant about left handed batsmen who can play a bit. Funnily enough I am predominantly a leftie but I used to bat right - unfortunately I was neither a touch player nor a hitter.

_________________
The next level awaits - Euros now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18986
Location: WV4 and WL4
Left back wrote:
I watched David Gower score 200 against India at Edgbaston once. It was sublime. Boycott made one of his dour scores and Botham came in and blasted a few but watching Gower was just something else to me. Perhaps it was him being a leftie.


I remember watching that innings, on telly, as a kid, as the shadows lengthened across the Edgbaston outfield, in the early evening sunshine, with Gower in a floppy sun hat. A sublime batsmen, and along with Gatting and Lamb, some top order trio that.

However, Botham was the best for me. Sure, he could get out for a duck as soon as smash a ton, but he was a genuine medium-quick swing bowler, who was a top slip fielder to boot. One of THE great all-rounders of all time.

It's funny, I saw him at Edgbaston, caught and bowled by Greg Matthews, with THAT catch, then get Border out LBW in the afternoon. Sadly, we lost those Ashes too.

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15791
Location: Moved
I'm going to fly the flag for Jonny Wilkinson.

I will never forget his drop goal to win the World Cup and for the equally patriotic French to love him like they do, makes him a one in a million.

Great British sporting Icon and an ambassador to be proud of.........Take a bow Jonny

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8574
suiging wrote:
I'm going to fly the flag for Jonny Wilkinson.

I will never forget his drop goal to win the World Cup and for the equally patriotic French to love him like they do, makes him a one in a million.

Great British sporting Icon and an ambassador to be proud of.........Take a bow Jonny


Seconded, and passed... 8)

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:55 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34680
Location: S E London, near Kent
warn wrote:
suiging wrote:
I'm going to fly the flag for Jonny Wilkinson.

I will never forget his drop goal to win the World Cup and for the equally patriotic French to love him like they do, makes him a one in a million.

Great British sporting Icon and an ambassador to be proud of.........Take a bow Jonny


Seconded, and passed... 8)


I'm sticking with Daley Thompson. :mrgreen:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9117
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
SELWolf wrote:
warn wrote:
suiging wrote:
I'm going to fly the flag for Jonny Wilkinson.

I will never forget his drop goal to win the World Cup and for the equally patriotic French to love him like they do, makes him a one in a million.

Great British sporting Icon and an ambassador to be proud of.........Take a bow Jonny


Seconded, and passed... 8)


I'm sticking with Daley Thompson. :mrgreen:


Daley is the man

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.