Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 am 
First XI
First XI

Any hockey fans on The Wolf? Being from Michigan, I'm naturally a Detroit Red Wings fan and we're about to start Game 7 against the Anaheim Ducks.

Very exciting stuff, NHL playoffs. Upsets are very frequent, lots of parity unlike the NBA, MLB and most top flights of European soccer leagues.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 am 
Manager
Manager

I am English but Married a canadian and they are hockey nuts!! I try to get into it, but I find it a hard sport to love.. It's easy enough to watch, but I haven't found any enthusiasm for it.

Saying that, I live in Toronto at the moment and they are about to go into game 7 against the Bruins, who everyone hates, so there is a big buzz about the city at the moment.

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 am 
Manager
Manager

The whole family supports the Cannucks, but can't say I am a fan.. I like the Rangers.

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 am 
First XI
First XI

LA Wolf wrote:
I am English but Married a canadian and they are hockey nuts!! I try to get into it, but I find it a hard sport to love.. It's easy enough to watch, but I haven't found any enthusiasm for it.

Saying that, I live in Toronto at the moment and they are about to go into game 7 against the Bruins, who everyone hates, so there is a big buzz about the city at the moment.

Everyone you encounter will be on edge tomorrow. Game 7s in the SC playoffs are amongst the most nerve-racking in all of sports. I'm a big college hockey fan, so it's even worse b/c the college hockey tournament is single elimination and literally anything can happen in hockey. Closest thing I've experienced watching footy is relegation/promotion battles on the final day or promotion playoffs.

Hope you've taken in some games in person. Wonderful spectator sport. Been to a multitude of games for several levels of hockey - high school, college, minor leagues, NHL - and enjoyed them all. If you haven't, I highly recommend it.

I take it you were living in LA at some point? They've got 3 NHL teams, but the real hockey fans are in the Midwest and Canada. I like the Rangers, though if they ever win again I'm sure I'll start to get sick of them as they're a big market team. Same happened with the Bruins for me. I've been lucky that I'm a Wings fan - born in 89 and they're currently on a 22 year playoff streak - 4 Stanley Cup victories in that span so I have almost no idea what it's like to have my hockey team be poor. University of Michigan hockey team is fantastic as well, but they missed out on the NCAA tournament for the first time in 21 or 22 years this past winter. Unfortunate you haven't really found any ground as a hockey fan. Very entertaining and fast paced sport.

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:40 am 
Manager
Manager

I have been to a few Cannucks games, forget the Maple Leafs it's 300-15,000 bucks a ticket. Crazy a hockey city the size of Toronto only has 1 team..

The Wings are a great team.. I used to play NHL games on Sega, back in the days on Yzerman and Federov, I would always play as Detroit. Always solid and always competitive team.

I was in LA for 3 years.. When I first moved there, you could go to the Kings for 16 bucks, about 5 years ago.. But I heard after last years Stanley Cup, the season tickets have gone from 300-900 bucks up to 2,000-12,000.. No one liked hockey there a couple of years ago. Not a real hockey town, just fashionable there now.

Have some friends who are Canadiens fans.. They seem like a real hockey club, with great history.

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm 
First XI
First XI

Wings of the 90s and early 2000s were something else. Though that was an era with no salary cap and we had more spending power than most teams. Now there's a salary cap so we're on a level playing field with everyone else.

Yeah, good luck finding an affordable Leafs ticket. I'd check out the Toronto Marlies, their minor league affiliate. They're currently in a playoff series with the Wings minor league squad - Grand Rapids Griffins. Tickets would be much more affordable and you'd see some of the stars of tomorrow.

It was frustrating watching the Kings playoff run last year. TV kept showing celebrities at the games - probably the first they ever attended since Gretzky was there to be honest.

Canadians are a great club. Part of the "Original Six" with Toronto, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, and New York Rangers.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Blew it. 4-1 up going into last 15 mins.. lost 5-4 in overtime.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:40 am 
First XI
First XI

LA Wolf wrote:
Blew it. 4-1 up going into last 15 mins.. lost 5-4 in overtime.

Hard to believe even as I was watching it. Leafs fans are gutted, I'm sure.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 am 
Manager
Manager

TDot is pretty subdued today, but was chuffed the Rangers completed a convincing turnaround.

Good luck against the Blackhawks.. Tough fixture. Gotta be some rivalry there?

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:47 pm 
First XI
First XI

Longtime rivals, and it's sad that we'll be in opposite conferences next year. But I'll trade being in the Blackhawks' division for being in the Canadians, Maple Leafs, and Bruins division. I expect we'll put up a decent fight, but lose the series in 6 games.

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:01 am 
Manager
Manager

After leaving the mob before flying East used to go to Telford to watch this game. Live, fantastic, but simple can't follow the damn puck on TV.....?

Perhaps it's just me

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
After leaving the mob before flying East used to go to Telford to watch this game. Live, fantastic, but simple can't follow the damn puck on TV.....?

Perhaps it's just me

No. It's not just you. Impossible that eyes can move that quick.. I follow the game by sounds effects.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wayne Gretzky, legend :D

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm 
First XI
First XI

suiging wrote:

Perhaps it's just me

It's a bit easier now with HD TVs and whatnot. But even the die hards have trouble seeing it at times. In the late 90s or early 2000s they put a chip in the puck that would allow the TV stations to put a blue glow around the puck, making it easier to follow for fans. But players said they could feel a bit of a weight difference in the puck and in it's balance and many fans complained about it. I think the difficulty following the puck is one of the reasons it's not bigger around the States. It's harder for the casual fan to get into it.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

Perhaps it's just me

It's a bit easier now with HD TVs and whatnot. But even the die hards have trouble seeing it at times. In the late 90s or early 2000s they put a chip in the puck that would allow the TV stations to put a blue glow around the puck, making it easier to follow for fans. But players said they could feel a bit of a weight difference in the puck and in it's balance and many fans complained about it. I think the difficulty following the puck is one of the reasons it's not bigger around the States. It's harder for the casual fan to get into it.

I just struggle with the pace, and I wish it wasn't so gimmicky.. the music, the fights.. sometimes I think its more 'Sports entertainment' than a sport..

Its a very accessible game because its quick, and easy to understand.. but I am not sure I will get to that level where I love the game. Like I have with the NFL and Football.

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 am 
First XI
First XI

LA Wolf wrote:
MichiganWolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

Perhaps it's just me

I just struggle with the pace, and I wish it wasn't so gimmicky.. the music, the fights.. sometimes I think its more 'Sports entertainment' than a sport..

Its a very accessible game because its quick, and easy to understand.. but I am not sure I will get to that level where I love the game. Like I have with the NFL and Football.

I don't really see it as gimmicky. Music is only played during dead play, it's not like the NBA when they play the organ music during actual play. Fighting has very little role in today's hockey. Doesn't happen every game or even every other like it did in the 70s and 80s when it happened all the time. I think it's one of the less gimmicky sports out there.

One thing that is great about hockey is that you don't really see the individual celebrations that you see in other sports. Players almost always seek their teammates or wait for them to come to them and just celebrate with them. Whereas in Am. football, there's a little celebration and jawing after every tackle or catch.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:45 am 
Manager
Manager

Redwings looking good. Dare I say it.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

LA Wolf wrote:

you into that mate?

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm 
First XI
First XI

LA Wolf wrote:

Game 7 tonight. Not confident. Should have closed it out in Detroit.

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
LA Wolf wrote:

Game 7 tonight. Not confident. Should have closed it out in Detroit.

Yeh, it all changes quickly eh?

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
LA Wolf wrote:

you into that mate?

:) that did not register first time, but that deserves a LoL, or a RoFL.. Or a LMAO!

I got a full set of wings.. But they are up for renewal as they only last 10 years.

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 am 
First XI
First XI

Just gutted.

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:18 am 
Manager
Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
Just gutted.

:(

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:17 pm 
First XI
First XI

LA drawing closer with a win last night against Chicago. 2-1 Blackhawks in that series.

Penguins are the Bruins whipping boys right now. Need to win 2 in Boston to even the series up. Don't think it'll happen.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 am 
Manager
Manager

LA Wolf wrote:
whelp wrote:
LA Wolf wrote:

you into that mate?

:) that did not register first time, but that deserves a LoL, or a RoFL.. Or a LMAO!

I got a full set of wings.. But they are up for renewal as they only last 10 years.

I was wondering if I was in here on my own...

anyway ill let you gents get back to the hockey.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Used to love this sport (before I found football) but now just find it uselessly violent, seasons are too long and there's zero atmosphere in the stands. I was almost glad Montréal got quickly eliminated so our MLS team could get (a bit) of media attention.
It's the Canadiens by the way not "Canadians" the name of the club...historically important detail, being the club founded for the French-Canadians (now mostly called Québécois). Just saying.

2 other errors: yes the Bruins are hated but Toronto are worst. LA Wolf should start to realize how terrible that city (and every club Blue Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC (aka "The Clowns") is...

"Hard to follow the puck"!! Come on, what are you Americans?? Fox TV use to had a color (hallow? if that's a english word) around the puck so that lazy Americans could find out where it was. Well I guess it takes time for some eyes... :wink:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:42 am 
Manager
Manager

Québec Wolf wrote:
Used to love this sport (before I found football) but now just find it uselessly violent, seasons are too long and there's zero atmosphere in the stands. I was almost glad Montréal got quickly eliminated so our MLS team could get (a bit) of media attention.
It's the Canadiens by the way not "Canadians" the name of the club...historically important detail, being the club founded for the French-Canadians (now mostly called Québécois). Just saying.

2 other errors: yes the Bruins are hated but Toronto are worst. LA Wolf should start to realize how terrible that city (and every club Blue Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC (aka "The Clowns") is...

"Hard to follow the puck"!! Come on, what are you Americans?? Fox TV use to had a color (hallow? if that's a english word) around the puck so that lazy Americans could find out where it was. Well I guess it takes time for some eyes... :wink:

I think you will find I indulged you by writing Canadiens in the first place.. Even though you want nothing to do with Canada, you still fuss over how it's spelt.. Unbelievable Jeff.. ;)

Toronto have been the Bruins best competition all year, and nobody outside of Quebec hates TO like you guys do.. Quit the hate, it could have all been yours but you wanted more.. At least you can console yourself that Toronto FC are utterly useless.

Seriously though, trying to follow that puck gives me a headache.. But it's mostly because I just don't care where it is.

Real Football, NFL, the rest don't come close..

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:46 pm 
First XI
First XI

Looks like it will be Blackhawks and Bruins. First original 6 matchup since the late 70s IIRC. I expect Chicago to close out the Kings at home. Been laughing quite a bit at the Penguins. Pitiful for them. No fight from most of the team. Crybaby Crosby and Malkin combined for 0 points that series. Pretty incredible job on defense and in goal from Boston

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:36 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

LA Wolf wrote:
I think you will find I indulged you by writing Canadiens in the first place.. Even though you want nothing to do with Canada, you still fuss over how it's spelt.. Unbelievable Jeff.. ;)

Yes, I was referring to Michigan Wolf who spelt it with an "a".
And yes I want nothing to do with Canada but the name "canadiens" (or english "canadians") was first a reference to the French inhabitants of North America. The English were, well, the British. Then they took our name and became Canadian and us Canadien-Français. Now we're the Québécois and French-Canadians are francophones living outside Québec.
They even stole our national (unhealthy) dish, the poutine! Recently voted Canada's national dish, WTF?! That's like saying haggis is the United Kingdom's national dish. No it's not, it's Scotland's national dish!

Well, enough history.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 am 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

BTW, off topic cause I just saw Michigan Wolf's avatar:

Detroit City FC eventhough playing in a fuck all league (D5 level or something) has really great supporters! Too bad Detroit is a bankrupt city, could be a good place to put professional football...

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport