Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:41 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
whelp wrote:
Murray played well yesterday, but as the commentator said, how do you beat a player with no weaknesses?

for me the silly point lost at the net when Murray nearly broke serve in the 3rd was a turning point, it seemed to take a lot out of Murray.

it shows how close it actually was though in the 4th set when Djokovic was serving for the Championship and as he took his foot off the gas slightly, Murray broke his serve and then held serve.

It was a bit to little to late though as it was a long way back from there.

i still believe that had Djokovic had to beat Wawrinka then Murray would have been in a better position.

French open on the clay is a war of attrition, very tough tournament.


I think to beak Novak on clay you have to back him up continuously, at times Murray especially on neutral shots hit to short a length.
I thought after the first set he was at times two feet short on his approach shots which allowed Novak the opportunity to gain control of the point.

I thought Novak was more prepared to play on the limits of his ability where as Andy sometimes seeks refuge in a comfort zone.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:25 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
knocker knowles wrote:
whelp wrote:
Murray played well yesterday, but as the commentator said, how do you beat a player with no weaknesses?

for me the silly point lost at the net when Murray nearly broke serve in the 3rd was a turning point, it seemed to take a lot out of Murray.

it shows how close it actually was though in the 4th set when Djokovic was serving for the Championship and as he took his foot off the gas slightly, Murray broke his serve and then held serve.

It was a bit to little to late though as it was a long way back from there.

i still believe that had Djokovic had to beat Wawrinka then Murray would have been in a better position.

French open on the clay is a war of attrition, very tough tournament.


I think to beak Novak on clay you have to back him up continuously, at times Murray especially on neutral shots hit to short a length.
I thought after the first set he was at times two feet short on his approach shots which allowed Novak the opportunity to gain control of the point.

I thought Novak was more prepared to play on the limits of his ability where as Andy sometimes seeks refuge in a comfort zone.


id agree with that.

its a shame that Lendl knocked it on the head, both Slam wins were under his tutelage.

He seemed to force that extra mile out of Murray. When he won Wimbledon Djok looked spent, (he did have a tough semi) Murray put him away.

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:41 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
Andy is now a 5-time winner of Queens. A top performance v Raonic. What a fighter. The bloke is simply brilliant. With Lendl back in his corner he has a great chance again at Wimbledon this year. I hope to God he does it. He absolutely deserves to.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:06 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Andy is now a 5-time winner of Queens. A top performance v Raonic. What a fighter. The bloke is simply brilliant. With Lendl back in his corner he has a great chance again at Wimbledon this year. I hope to God he does it. He absolutely deserves to.


Its certainly going to be small margins that determines Andy's fate at Wimbledon. It just might come down to self belief.
I guess thats why he has Ivan Lendl in his corner. I wouldn't back against him.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:25 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
knocker knowles wrote:
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Andy is now a 5-time winner of Queens. A top performance v Raonic. What a fighter. The bloke is simply brilliant. With Lendl back in his corner he has a great chance again at Wimbledon this year. I hope to God he does it. He absolutely deserves to.


Its certainly going to be small margins that determines Andy's fate at Wimbledon. It just might come down to self belief.
I guess thats why he has Ivan Lendl in his corner. I wouldn't back against him.


Lendl back and a win at Queens club, it may be on!

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:55 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
Djokovic gone!

i don't think he's very well, seemed to avoid questions regarding his health.

Andy the Favourite now, all things being equal it should be between Feds & Murray for who wins.

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:22 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
whelp wrote:
Djokovic gone!

i don't think he's very well, seemed to avoid questions regarding his health.

Andy the Favourite now, all things being equal it should be between Feds & Murray for who wins.


This is where it gets tough Quarters onwards.

Raonic is the interesting one, when he's hot he's virtually unplayable.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:57 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
knocker knowles wrote:
whelp wrote:
Djokovic gone!

i don't think he's very well, seemed to avoid questions regarding his health.

Andy the Favourite now, all things being equal it should be between Feds & Murray for who wins.


This is where it gets tough Quarters onwards.

Raonic is the interesting one, when he's hot he's virtually unplayable.


still lots of quality left in the draw, its never over till its over

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:07 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
Well done Murray! Showed tremendous guts and resilience to beat Tsonga in the fifth. Just the sort of tough contest to get him really match-sharp for his semi against Berdych. Come on son. Britain's greatest individual sportsman of this and many an era.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:53 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
Murray through to the final. Excellent win against Berdych. Will find it much tougher against Raonic who was terrific against Federer. Come on Andy. Give Britain summat to cheer about again.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:46 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20046
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Great match today, enjoyed watching the Raonic match too. Sunday should be a good'n. Fingers crossed for Murray.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:56 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
He's done it again! What a player. Fantastic performance. Sports Personality of the Year. A true British Great. Well done son!

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:58 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
i only caught the first set due to having to go to work but great performance from Murray from what i did see.

had to do it in straight sets as well i feel just to show who was the top seed.

first time he has ever been the favourite in a final as well.

i feel the US open may be on as well!

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:08 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 6544
Double Olympic Gold Medalist..

a true British sporting and tennis great

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:06 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
Before the match I wasn't concerned who would win, in some ways I was hoping for del Potro because of his bravery on returning after years of injury that threatened his career.

Well done to both of them, a great final.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:06 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4156
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
I thought Del Potro was the better player of the two last night, but it was that top level attitude from Murray that came through and allowed him to grit it out.
But that doesn't matter really, delighted for Murray, proving himself again to be one of the greatest athletes the UK has ever produced

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:32 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20046
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Amazing stuff, never felt nerves like I felt last night. I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Andy Murray, one of the greatest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:45 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
Another Olympic gold for Britain's best sportsman. A cert for end-of-year Sports Personality Of The Year. Fantastic Andy.

Del Potro - what a tremendous character. Pity there had to be a loser.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:02 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4156
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Another Olympic gold for Britain's best sportsman. A cert for end-of-year Sports Personality Of The Year. Fantastic Andy.

Del Potro - what a tremendous character. Pity there had to be a loser.


Got 100-1 on Justin Rose the other day. Ryder Cup to come up...

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:33 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
toomb wrote:
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
Another Olympic gold for Britain's best sportsman. A cert for end-of-year Sports Personality Of The Year. Fantastic Andy.

Del Potro - what a tremendous character. Pity there had to be a loser.


Got 100-1 on Justin Rose the other day. Ryder Cup to come up...


I have a relative who's an umpire on the pro tennis circuit based in the USA, during Wimbledon we met and the tip was get your money on Del Potro for the Olympics.

Amazing fact this umpire has clocked up over a million air miles traveling the circuit.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:16 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
Andy Murray - 2016 Sports Personality of the Year. What an incredible year for him. A fantastic tennis player. Well deserved son.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:36 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
Yes. Congratulations Andy.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:08 am 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 1641
Location: Wolverhampton
It gets better and better for Andy. A New Year's Knightood for the lad. Arise Sir Andy. Well deserved son.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:56 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
It gets better and better for Andy. A New Year's Knightood for the lad. Arise Sir Andy. Well deserved son.


thoroughly deserved.

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:28 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
I think this week is Murray's ultimate challenge because mentally its nigh on impossible for him to now win the Australian open.

Thinking Ken Rosewall at Wimbledon.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
knocker knowles wrote:
I think this week is Murray's ultimate challenge because mentally its nigh on impossible for him to now win the Australian open.

Thinking Ken Rosewall at Wimbledon.


he has been in the final now 4 or 5 times?

id like to think he could turn it on and win, the reality however is far different.

in order to really be considered a great he needs to convert better than 3 from 11 in grand slam finals.

i think as you say Knocker it may be a mental thing.

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11848
Location: Wolverhampton
Made hard work of it in the first round against the Ukrainian, Marchenko.

Got the job done in straight sets though, 7-5 7-6 [7-5] 6-2.

He will face Russia's Andrey Rublev in the second round.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22194
Location: Cannock.
whelp wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
I think this week is Murray's ultimate challenge because mentally its nigh on impossible for him to now win the Australian open.

Thinking Ken Rosewall at Wimbledon.


he has been in the final now 4 or 5 times?

id like to think he could turn it on and win, the reality however is far different.

in order to really be considered a great he needs to convert better than 3 from 11 in grand slam finals.

i think as you say Knocker it may be a mental thing.


If you saw the first round post match interview given by Novak Djokovic everything he said was aimed at Andy Murray.
Talking about how he feels at home and all the good memories he has of the place, all absolutely intentional, all to get inside his key rivals head.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:36 am 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11848
Location: Wolverhampton
Do you think Andy pays any attention to his opponents press conferences?

If he concentrates on his own game, the result will take of itself.

It's going to be a tough nut to crack, but he won't give in easily.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wimbledon & Murray
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Raaahhhhhhley
knocker knowles wrote:
whelp wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
I think this week is Murray's ultimate challenge because mentally its nigh on impossible for him to now win the Australian open.

Thinking Ken Rosewall at Wimbledon.


he has been in the final now 4 or 5 times?

id like to think he could turn it on and win, the reality however is far different.

in order to really be considered a great he needs to convert better than 3 from 11 in grand slam finals.

i think as you say Knocker it may be a mental thing.


If you saw the first round post match interview given by Novak Djokovic everything he said was aimed at Andy Murray.
Talking about how he feels at home and all the good memories he has of the place, all absolutely intentional, all to get inside his key rivals head.


sounds about right, bit of posturing!

as you say though Mr Forever, i think he can do it, it will almost certainly be a Djok - Murray final.

_________________
Money cannot buy this round......
defended like beavers - Kamara 2009
there used to be a thing called 'natural selection' but its been stopped by 'health and safety'
www.vwcaddy.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.