Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Share On:

Post subject: Re: England Cricket team
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
suiging wrote:
Embers wrote:
Seriously, they must be sick of the sight of a cricket ball. SIX MONTHS down under, and then they return to Blighty for the cricket season, and the England scene all over again!

Sadly you're right.

Half the team certainly look that way. They don't appreciate what a privilege it is to earn that amount of money playing sport, rather than the daily grind year after year of "working" for a living.

Not sure about that. In the last year or so, some of them will have been away from home for a hell of a lot. If you assume that players are away from home on average, the day before and day after a Test, in 2017

India: 16 days
West Indies: 14 days
ODIs: 9 days
T20s v South Africa: 3 days
Tests v South Africa: 28 days
Tests v West Indies: 21 days
ODIs v West Indies: 5 days
Ashes: 93 days.

So from the start of the India ODIs through to the end of the Australia ODI series(which then led straight into the New Zealand, Australia, England triangular tournament), ENgland players could have been away for 189 days, over half the year. I'm not surprised that some of them look knackered. And it hasn't exactly been an easy year from an emotional point of view, I bet most of them are completely spent

They have at best ten or so years of such heartache. Sorry. No sympathy. Most of us and no doubt your good self, are tied to forty plus years of doing something far more emotionally destroying than playing a game you love.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
toomb wrote:
suiging wrote:
Sadly you're right.

Half the team certainly look that way. They don't appreciate what a privilege it is to earn that amount of money playing sport, rather than the daily grind year after year of "working" for a living.

Not sure about that. In the last year or so, some of them will have been away from home for a hell of a lot. If you assume that players are away from home on average, the day before and day after a Test, in 2017

India: 16 days
West Indies: 14 days
ODIs: 9 days
T20s v South Africa: 3 days
Tests v South Africa: 28 days
Tests v West Indies: 21 days
ODIs v West Indies: 5 days
Ashes: 93 days.

So from the start of the India ODIs through to the end of the Australia ODI series(which then led straight into the New Zealand, Australia, England triangular tournament), ENgland players could have been away for 189 days, over half the year. I'm not surprised that some of them look knackered. And it hasn't exactly been an easy year from an emotional point of view, I bet most of them are completely spent

They have at best ten or so years of such heartache. Sorry. No sympathy. Most of us and no doubt your good self, are tied to forty plus years of doing something far more emotionally destroying than playing a game you love.

Oh yes, without a shadow of a doubt. But that doesn't mean that they don't get tired, emotionally and physically. They left for Australia on October 28th, and it's been fairly solid since then. I don't care what the job is, no matter how much you love it or how privileged you are to do it, it can be draining

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Anyway, despite all that, a good day at last for England, that niggly last wicket stand excepted, 231 ahead with 7 wickets standing, get a lead of 350 and we should win, fingers crossed..

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:42 am 
Manager
Manager

We seemed to lose our way..captaincy by numbers again

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

We have serious bowling issues when the conditions aren't bowler friendly. Once Anderson retires (it won't be long) we'll be in even more shit. Broad won't be too far behind either.

Root isn't good enough to be captain, I think that's pretty clear when you see how well other captains seem to do with worse players at their disposal. But who's gonna have the balls to upset our one star player and sack him? :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:01 am 
Manager
Manager

Looking at this Easter damp and dark weather, it's hard to believe the first test starts on
Thursday 24th May...v. Pakistan.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Looking at this Easter damp and dark weather, it's hard to believe the first test starts on

Saw Angus Fraser on SSN, and he said Middlesex had been practicing under a big marquee!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:

Saw Angus Fraser on SSN, and he said Middlesex had been practicing under a big marquee!

I kind of follow Middlesex, after last year as defending champions they would be better in the circus

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 am 
Manager
Manager

216-3, looking set fair and then the usual collapse to 285-9, only England.....arghh.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:48 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
216-3, looking set fair and then the usual collapse to 285-9, only England.....arghh.

Hypnotism needed. Put them all in a state where the red ball is seen as being white.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45182868

Told you it was a load of bollocks and that the charging threshold was met purely on the basis of celebrity.
There are THOUSANDS of knocks that are far worse than this one across the land every weekend that results in persons being arrested for "Affray".

CPS piss themselves loffin if you ask them for a charge though.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:

Told you it was a load of bollocks and that the charging threshold was met purely on the basis of celebrity.
There are THOUSANDS of knocks that are far worse than this one across the land every weekend that results in persons being arrested for "Affray".

I understand that "Affray" requires that the prosecution can prove that bystanders were in fear. Why would they go for that charge rather than "Assault" or "ABH" (Which I understand they tried for at the last minute but had it thrown out)?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

I understand that "Affray" requires that the prosecution can prove that bystanders were in fear. Why would they go for that charge rather than "Assault" or "ABH" (Which I understand they tried for at the last minute but had it thrown out)?

At the end of the day, the gay chaps who were attacked thanked Ben for stepping in to protect them from being assaulted, and he in turn dished out a few hefty blows to the assailants. Justice has been done.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:16 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Affray is a "Catch all" charge mate. If you have one incident of disorder where three people assault each other the evidence to support each different charge of assault needs to be captured independantly. You then have three separate victims of assault hence three separate crimes rather than one of affray, get it, three crimes, three investigations, three trials.
Just to confuse matters, CPS refuse to consider an affray charge if there is sufficient evidence to support a charge of assault, still with me!
If you charge three offenders with Affray they then become 'Co-Accused' this then brings a legal caveat into play where the evidence of Co-Accused is inadmissible at court in almost all cases.
See the case of Leeson V DPP, this states that a person is not guilty of affray if their actions are in the self defence of themselves or another, this was a clear line of defence present at the time of charging, the same defence that was used by Stokes legal team, hence the not guilty finding.

The charge requires a "Person of reasonable firmness" present at the scene to fear for their OWN personal safety, although that person may not need to be present, confusing ay it :roll:

Nowhere in proceedings was that person/s either referred to or quoted so they based their charges solely on the evidence of co-accused and CCTV which is utter bollocks.
The case should have been thrown out then AND at the pre-trial review as it was always going to be a non starter yet it was still pursued, one has to ask why?
If the three protagonists had been Billy joe Fucknuts and Darren and his brother Lee fighting it would have been binned by the reviewing officer prior to CPS referral in the first place, again one has to ask why?

I speak from experience after reviewing HUNDREDS of incidents such as this filling my bin up in the process.

The Police have to shoulder a lot of blame in the all round bollocks of Affray because it used to carry a power of arrest ONLY "If found committing" , so a Bobby in uniform would have to come across the knock actually happening for a power of arrest to exist. His or her evidence would then be crucial.

Senior officers and lazy coppers altered this and the continued bollocks of Affray sits on the desks and files and indeed bins of Sergeants across the land.

Mind how you go.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for clearing it up anyway. Just the sort of bureaucratic bollocks that develops in public sector organisations. Good job those filmed knockout punches weren't enough to prove a charge of assault.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Where on earth was the supervision in both the Police and CPS camps ?

Utterly appalling farce from start to finish.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fight! Fight! Wherever you may be.
Have a good brawl as you'll just walk free.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Fight! Fight! Wherever you may be.
Have a good brawl as you'll just walk free.

Stokes - good lawyer, good story. Result.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well done Alastair Cook.

One of the greats.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Well done Alastair Cook.

One of the greats.

Seconded.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Well done Alastair Cook.

One of the greats.

Seconded.

Thirded

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Well done Alastair Cook.

One of the greats.

What a way to bow out, will always remember the 2010/11 Ashes series when he was named player of the series where he scored a whopping 766 runs in just seven innings at an average of 127.66 :clap2 Magnificent, and he never sweats, even under a helmet in 90 degrees :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

The 2010/11 Ashes were phenomenal, and equally as good was his series in India in 2012/13. Either of those series would have been career defining for most players

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Let's not forget Jimmy Anderson, the new highest wicket taking fast bowler in Test cricket. A sublime action and a master of swing bowling, and still not finished yet :clap2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport