Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next

Share On:

Post subject: England Cricket team
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Todays see's the start of England's test year, a warm up game before next weeks 1st test against the West Indies.
Then its New Zealand at home, in preparation for the big series this year..The Ashes, in England, and then over Christmas and into the New Year, we are away in South Africa.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 pm 
First XI
First XI

Watched Steven Finn for Middlesex today. I'll never understand how he hasn't been and England mainstay for the past few years. Prolific wicket taker.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:21 am 
Manager
Manager

A natural bowler who was over-coached, with England(Saker).. making his action more "forced"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Paul Downton leaves his post at the ECB. Moores next perhaps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:39 am 
Manager
Manager

The best news for English cricket this year, he was a man out of his depth..
Alec Stewart in, to replace him.

What odds now on the return to the England side of KP.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Michael Vaughan should now be brought into the management structure, and Pietersen should never be allowed an England team again. His time has gone, it is time to move on.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am 
Manager
Manager

FrankMunro-371 wrote:
Michael Vaughan should now be brought into the management structure, and Pietersen should never be allowed an England team again. His time has gone, it is time to move on.

Vaughan has advocated KP's return though...

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:48 am 
Manager
Manager

lol..KP will return.

The sacking of him showed a lack of leadership within ECB and England.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:57 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

West Indies should not provide too much of a challenge. The real work starts with the visit of New Zealand to England. They have a decent team now, and in Trent Boult have a bowler ideally suited for English conditions.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:40 am 
Manager
Manager

What was the point of the tour to the West Indies?

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

They are skint. Unless folks visit, they are done.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

That will never change, the West Indies will continue without money for time immemorial.

What I'm getting at is the need for correct preparation for test matches with good three or four day games.
Bowlers getting used to long run ups, slips and the odd bouncer, batsman getting back to building an innings.

If England wish to climb the tree in world cricket they have to create game situations that aid that development.
Pretty pointless going on these jolly boys outings that do little but line a few pockets.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:41 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

That will never change, the West Indies will continue without money for time immemorial.

What I'm getting at is the need for correct preparation for test matches with good three or four day games.
Bowlers getting used to long run ups, slips and the odd bouncer, batsman getting back to building an innings.

If England wish to climb the tree in world cricket they have to create game situations that aid that development.
Pretty pointless going on these jolly boys outings that do little but line a few pockets.

Without these tours there is no tree left to climb. West Indies Cricket has to be supported by all Test playing nations. Good grief Knocker, surely your not advocating we only support the current elite ?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 am 
Manager
Manager

"]What was the point of the tour to the West Indies?[/quote]

They are skint. Unless folks visit, they are done.[/quote]

Pretty pointless going on these jolly boys outings that do little but line a few pockets.[/quote]

Without these tours there is no tree left to climb. West Indies Cricket has to be supported by all Test playing nations. Good grief Knocker, surely your not advocating we only support the current elite ?[/quote]

What I'm saying is play cricket the right way in preparation for the difficult times ahead.

If I was just thinking aloud about elite cricket I wouldn't be thinking about England.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:03 am 
Manager
Manager

This was always going to happen. We haven't played a Test match since August, so we were always going to have a ridiculous number of Tests over the next 12 months.

17 Tests, 21 ODIs and 5 T20s in the next 12 months is a ridiculous amount of cricket.

And playing a whole 5 T20s in the year before the World T20 is terrific planning

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Pitersen scores a century, albeit against a University attack. But doubtless that will have some calling for his recall to the national team.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think even those most vehement KP fans would agree he needs more than a century against a University side. But of nothing else, it shows his intent

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 am 
Manager
Manager

All he can do is score runs, but once again surely you want your best players playing for your country, then its up to the management to manage them.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

First test and both openers gone!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I understand that. The preparation for this tour has been very restricted, but that's the modern international game. Tight scheduling won't allow for matches against the islands of the West Indies or the states of Australia as happened back in the day.

Modern thinking seems to favour drills, net sessions, square practice and controlled games rather than competitive matches.

Tests have to continue in the West Indies especially as they are making great efforts in the schools to promote cricket.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

England cruising now, back in the format they enjoy. Shame for Root, who has been one beacon of hope during the recent shite. Bell should go on to get a daddy hundred, if he negotiates the new ball.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:05 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

After a poor start, England have fought back well. But West Indian bowlers of old must look at their present attack with despair.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

FrankMunro-371 wrote:
After a poor start, England have fought back well. But West Indian bowlers of old must look at their present attack with despair.

Indeed. The new ball is merrily departing to the boundary, and Stokes has already got 50.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ian Bell has always looked the most technically proficient of the current lot to me. I think he has moments of self doubt but when he feels confident he is top class.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good day for England, pity Bell was out.

But what was the night watchman all about? One over to go, Stokes on strike, Buttler goes in and Stokes plays the last six balls. The two lads in the team who can be the most destructive would be together in the morning. See off the first few overs, get in, and away you go. - simples. 8)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:

But what was the night watchman all about? One over to go, Stokes on strike, Buttler goes in and Stokes plays the last six balls. The two lads in the team who can be the most destructive would be together in the morning. See off the first few overs, get in, and away you go. - simples. 8)

I thought the old nightwatchman was out of fashion? The current England set-up, like to err on the side of caution though.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
warn wrote:

I thought the old nightwatchman was out of fashion? The current England set-up, like to err on the side of caution though.

Wrong decision wasn't it, the lack of flexible thinking again from an England dressing room.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Who decides on whether a night wachman goes in, the captain or the next batsman?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

FrankMunro-371 wrote:
Who decides on whether a night wachman goes in, the captain or the next batsman?

You would presume the captain? It's a dated tradition/tactic, and it's time we moved with the times.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Embers wrote:
FrankMunro-371 wrote:

You would presume the captain? It's a dated tradition/tactic, and it's time we moved with the times.

Well that is what I thought, but I was told that ever since Strauss was captain, England leave it to the next batsman to make the decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport