Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:04 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8638
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Alastair Cook's last Test century came in the second innings of England's 247-run win against New Zealand at Lord's in May 2013.



Not any more :lol:

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7170
:smt041

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Dead pleased for Cook getting that monkey off his bag. Weird preoccupation with centuries, as if his 95 against India didn't exist.

Averages 56 since the end of the Sri Lanka series last year

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17245
Location: Moved
Never doubted his ability with the bat, it's his captaincy that worries.

But let's put that aside and give him a big, well dererved :smt055 :smt041 :smt055

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
suiging wrote:
Never doubted his ability with the bat, it's his captaincy that worries.

But let's put that aside and give him a big, well dererved :smt055 :smt041 :smt055


I think his captaincy was good in the first Test. Seemed more ambitious than previously

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:36 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7170
Saturday...this is not going to last 5 days, some good cricket, and some bad cricket from England

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:54 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17245
Location: Moved
toomb wrote:
suiging wrote:
Never doubted his ability with the bat, it's his captaincy that worries.

But let's put that aside and give him a big, well dererved :smt055 :smt041 :smt055


I think his captaincy was good in the first Test. Seemed more ambitious than previously


"One Swallow........."

Tis the negativity that loses him the games. New ball, green pitch, one of the best swing bowlers ever, two slips and a gully.

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:50 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7170
Some things that once again need sorting..
I know Trott was told he had 3 tests on this tour to prove himself but Lyth must now start.
Are Ali and Root our best spinners? Why take Rashid, and then send him home, this pitch is playing like a day 5 pitch on the second day.
And is Jordan playing just for his fielding?

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:13 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Some things that once again need sorting..
I know Trott was told he had 3 tests on this tour to prove himself but Lyth must now start.
Are Ali and Root our best spinners? Why take Rashid, and then send him home, this pitch is playing like a day 5 pitch on the second day.
And is Jordan playing just for his fielding?


A sad way for Trott's excellent England career to end. This by George Dobell is one of the best pieces of sport writing I've seen this year: http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-england-2015/content/story/869403.html

I think Moeen is struggling a little bit from a lack of bowling since his injury. I don't think he's as good a bowler as his figures against India suggested, but I'd still have him in the team. On a pitch such as this (and everyone said it would turn before the match started), Rashid could easily have played ahead of Jordan, with Stokes as first change

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:35 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 19247
Location: WV4 and WL4
toomb wrote:
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Some things that once again need sorting..
I know Trott was told he had 3 tests on this tour to prove himself but Lyth must now start.
Are Ali and Root our best spinners? Why take Rashid, and then send him home, this pitch is playing like a day 5 pitch on the second day.
And is Jordan playing just for his fielding?


A sad way for Trott's excellent England career to end. This by George Dobell is one of the best pieces of sport writing I've seen this year: http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-england-2015/content/story/869403.html

I think Moeen is struggling a little bit from a lack of bowling since his injury. I don't think he's as good a bowler as his figures against India suggested, but I'd still have him in the team. On a pitch such as this (and everyone said it would turn before the match started), Rashid could easily have played ahead of Jordan, with Stokes as first change


Mentally, Trott is obviously not right, and still scarred from his Mitchell Johnson breakdown. Trott aside, how much have the selectors learned from this Windies tour, ahead of NZ and OZ at home? I think we could be in for a long Summer of chasing red leather.

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:18 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Embers wrote:
Mentally, Trott is obviously not right, and still scarred from his Mitchell Johnson breakdown. Trott aside, how much have the selectors learned from this Windies tour, ahead of NZ and OZ at home? I think we could be in for a long Summer of chasing red leather.


I still think we've had as many positives from this tour as there's been negatives.

Positives
Cook continued his run making from the India series last summer, and finally got that century to get those ridiculous statistics off his back. I also think his captaincy has been much improved
The middle order is looking as secure as it has for a long time - Ballance, Bell and Root have 3,4,5 nailed down despite Bell having an indifferent series, averaging just 31, with 143 of his 155 runs coming in one innings.
Ben Stokes and Joss Butler have settled into the lower middle order nicely. Neither are anything like a finished article, but should be settled into the lower middle order for years to come
Jimmy Anderson seems to have been reborn since breaking Botham's record
Joe Root's bowling - he's been more than a part-timer this series; his economy rate of 2.19 is beaten only by Tredwell and Jonathan Trott. I guess the big worry is he's one of the few players to play for England in all three formats - we don't want to burn him out

Negatives
Jonathan Trott obviously. And I feel more for him as a person than I do the England cricket team. But at least Adam Lyth will be more secure in facing New Zealand, without a clamour for Trott to be re-instated
Moeen Ali hasn't had a particularly good series, with the bat or ball. I'm hoping it's primarily to do with his injury, but his length hasn't been quite right with the ball. I'd still have him in the side over Tredwell, but not giving Rashid an opportunity is probably a missed opportunity
The bowling attack is still very samey. A bunch of medium-fast right arm over the wicket bowlers. Who's going to do something special? Broad's pace is well down and Jordan seems to be in the team as a specialist first slip. If we have Moeen and Stokes in the team at 6 and 7, then that surely gives you the opportunity to have a bit more of a wildcard bowler? A Rashid, or a Wood?
Stuart Broad must be close to being one of those missing out. In the past, his batting ability may have given him some leeway if he's not bowling well, but 10 runs at 2.5 don't give him that. Jimmy Anderson must be thinking he can be promoted up the batting order to 10.

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:17 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 19247
Location: WV4 and WL4
You need to take 20 wickets to win a Test Match, and against NZ and OZ, are we going to even come close, given the lack of competition in the bowling department, strike or spin :?: We don't seem to have any live-wires ready to fill Anderson and Broad's shoes. At the end of the day, you can't expect those pair to churn out long spells any more.

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:59 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Embers wrote:
You need to take 20 wickets to win a Test Match, and against NZ and OZ, are we going to even come close, given the lack of competition in the bowling department, strike or spin :?: We don't seem to have any live-wires ready to fill Anderson and Broad's shoes. At the end of the day, you can't expect those pair to churn out long spells any more.


Balls bowled by anyone in world cricket, in Test, ODI and T20 since Anderson came into the England team in 2006:

James Anderson: 28,007
Stuart Broad: 23,129
Mitchell Johnson: 22,178
Dale Steyn: 20,722
Graeme Swann: 19,938
Saeed Ajmal: 19,022
Harbajan Singh: 18,361
Daniel Vettori: 18,286
Morne Morkel: 17,824
Rangana Herath: 17,610

Anderson has bowled twice as many deliveries as the man 14th on that list (Tim Southeee)

From: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;filter=advanced;orderby=balls;spanmin1=01+nov+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:14 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 19247
Location: WV4 and WL4
toomb wrote:
Embers wrote:
You need to take 20 wickets to win a Test Match, and against NZ and OZ, are we going to even come close, given the lack of competition in the bowling department, strike or spin :?: We don't seem to have any live-wires ready to fill Anderson and Broad's shoes. At the end of the day, you can't expect those pair to churn out long spells any more.


Balls bowled by anyone in world cricket, in Test, ODI and T20 since Anderson came into the England team in 2006:

James Anderson: 28,007
Stuart Broad: 23,129
Mitchell Johnson: 22,178
Dale Steyn: 20,722
Graeme Swann: 19,938
Saeed Ajmal: 19,022
Harbajan Singh: 18,361
Daniel Vettori: 18,286
Morne Morkel: 17,824
Rangana Herath: 17,610

Anderson has bowled twice as many deliveries as the man 14th on that list (Tim Southeee)

From: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;filter=advanced;orderby=balls;spanmin1=01+nov+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling


Just goes to show how dependant we've become on Anderson and Broad. I think they've put a shift in :wink:

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21507
Location: Four Oaks
Embers wrote:
Just goes to show how dependant we've become on Anderson and Broad. I think they've put a shift in :wink:


Does Mick get involved with managing the England cricket team?

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:33 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Embers wrote:
toomb wrote:
Embers wrote:
You need to take 20 wickets to win a Test Match, and against NZ and OZ, are we going to even come close, given the lack of competition in the bowling department, strike or spin :?: We don't seem to have any live-wires ready to fill Anderson and Broad's shoes. At the end of the day, you can't expect those pair to churn out long spells any more.


Balls bowled by anyone in world cricket, in Test, ODI and T20 since Anderson came into the England team in 2006:

James Anderson: 28,007
Stuart Broad: 23,129
Mitchell Johnson: 22,178
Dale Steyn: 20,722
Graeme Swann: 19,938
Saeed Ajmal: 19,022
Harbajan Singh: 18,361
Daniel Vettori: 18,286
Morne Morkel: 17,824
Rangana Herath: 17,610

Anderson has bowled twice as many deliveries as the man 14th on that list (Tim Southeee)

From: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;filter=advanced;orderby=balls;spanmin1=01+nov+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling


Just goes to show how dependant we've become on Anderson and Broad. I think they've put a shift in :wink:


And Swann before that. Surely only a matter of time before Anderson and Broad are completely burned out

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:03 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7170
In the words of Weller, its going to be a "long hot summer"

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:19 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8638
Looks as though England are getting a new coach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... coach.html

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:49 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
Heard Gillespie.

I was asking Aussies the difference between them and the English.

What kept coming out was, "We may not be as bright, but we don't mess about like England, we find the easiest way of getting things done"

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:25 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7170
Put your money on Strauss appointing "The King of Spain"

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:28 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21507
Location: Four Oaks
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Put your money on Strauss appointing "The King of Spain"


You could say Ash is to Ashes.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:56 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Left back wrote:
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Put your money on Strauss appointing "The King of Spain"


You could say Ash is to Ashes.


If you think this will happen, you can get 33-1 with Coral... I think those odds are too short

Jason Gillespie is firm favourite, especially with the number of Yorkshire personnel in key positions in the ECB.

My view is we don't need a 'coach' as such, more a motivator/selector

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8638
toomb wrote:
Left back wrote:
CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Put your money on Strauss appointing "The King of Spain"


You could say Ash is to Ashes.


If you think this will happen, you can get 33-1 with Coral... I think those odds are too short

Jason Gillespie is firm favourite, especially with the number of Yorkshire personnel in key positions in the ECB.

My view is we don't need a 'coach' as such, more a motivator/selector


You mean a Darren Lehmann type? Aussies were struggling until his appointment which bucked the trend of technical coaches.

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 19247
Location: WV4 and WL4
warn wrote:
Looks as though England are getting a new coach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... coach.html


One very interested bystander will be Alastair Cook, whose grip on the England captaincy is further weakened. He has now lost his two most powerful backers, Downton and Moores, but is likely to keep his job for the summer with his long term future decided by the Ashes result.

Interesting. Can Cook only play Test cricket, if he's captain?

As for Moores, seems like a decent bloke, and an enthusiastic coach, but perhaps he got lost in his statistics.

I want the ECB and Strauss to act decisively, as NZ are ready to soften us up, before their Antipodean cousins put the boot in.

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
Embers wrote:
warn wrote:
Looks as though England are getting a new coach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... coach.html


One very interested bystander will be Alastair Cook, whose grip on the England captaincy is further weakened. He has now lost his two most powerful backers, Downton and Moores, but is likely to keep his job for the summer with his long term future decided by the Ashes result.

Interesting. Can Cook only play Test cricket, if he's captain?

As for Moores, seems like a decent bloke, and an enthusiastic coach, but perhaps he got lost in his statistics.

I want the ECB and Strauss to act decisively, as NZ are ready to soften us up, before their Antipodean cousins put the boot in.


Or, we give Paul Farbrace the opportunity to stake a claim against New Zealand. Afterall, promoting from within the last time Moores left didn't work out too badly

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:40 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:09 pm
Posts: 2746
Location: Hinckley
KP hits a triple century, that could be awkward for Strauss.

_________________
Out of darkness cometh light, out of Scotland came Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
FrankMunro-371 wrote:
KP hits a triple century, that could be awkward for Strauss.


Apparently the talks tonight have been Strauss telling KP he won't be picked for England again.

That worked well for the last bloke in the role didn't it?

The ECB are an absolute farce, and I'm already completely disillusioned with Strauss in this role, with this and his shocking treatment of Peter Moores

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8638
toomb wrote:
FrankMunro-371 wrote:
KP hits a triple century, that could be awkward for Strauss.


Apparently the talks tonight have been Strauss telling KP he won't be picked for England again.

That worked well for the last bloke in the role didn't it?

The ECB are an absolute farce, and I'm already completely disillusioned with Strauss in this role, with this and his shocking treatment of Peter Moores



I think it's probably time the reasons for not considering KP are made public. Doubt if they will be though.

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
warn wrote:
toomb wrote:
FrankMunro-371 wrote:
KP hits a triple century, that could be awkward for Strauss.


Apparently the talks tonight have been Strauss telling KP he won't be picked for England again.

That worked well for the last bloke in the role didn't it?

The ECB are an absolute farce, and I'm already completely disillusioned with Strauss in this role, with this and his shocking treatment of Peter Moores



I think it's probably time the reasons for not considering KP are made public. Doubt if they will be though.


There's more than this pile of crap? http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/787889.html

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:23 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Posts: 4225
Location: Under a Wanderers Scarf
warn wrote:
toomb wrote:
FrankMunro-371 wrote:
KP hits a triple century, that could be awkward for Strauss.


Apparently the talks tonight have been Strauss telling KP he won't be picked for England again.

That worked well for the last bloke in the role didn't it?

The ECB are an absolute farce, and I'm already completely disillusioned with Strauss in this role, with this and his shocking treatment of Peter Moores



I think it's probably time the reasons for not considering KP are made public. Doubt if they will be though.


I hope that there are genuine reasons and they are released

_________________
toomb's twitter

I write about Wolves


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 42  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.

cron