Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20222
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Any tips for this year? I'm not an avid follower of horse racing but do like a flutter on the Grand National.

Liking the sound of Saint Are at the moment, and fancy giving Shutthefrontdoor another go this year.

Looking out for the horses I can place my silly bets on as well :lol:


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:36 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
Bishops Road 33/1.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:22 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
My good friend T.Hywel Jones is running his horse Buywise ( trained by Evan Williams ) in the Grand National. I placed an each way bet at 50-1 ante-post but my bet is more out of hope and loyalty than on true chances. Still, Williams has had good placed horses in the National over the last few years, such as State of Play and Cappa Bleu, so he has an eye for a National horse.

My early fancies are ; Saint Are at 25-1 , The Druids Nephew , going well when it fell 5 out last year and also The Last Samurai. Last years winner, Many Clouds will also run a huge race this time too, is around 8-1 fav at present. Silviniaco Conti and Carlingford Lough also feature as good, solid bets.

The final 40 declared horses will be known a week Friday and then one can peruse the form, tips, stats and trends to pick a few out. Some trends are always steady and worth noting, such as:

All the last 25 winners raced within 55 days of the big race, 20 of those within 34 days.

19 of the last 25 winners carried a weight of around 10st 12lbs on average - although Many Clouds won with 11st 9lbs last year.

24/25 winners had all won at 3miles or more before.

No 7 year old has won since 1940.

22/25 winners were aged 9 or over.

20/25 returned a double figure starting price.

The average winners Starting Price in the last 12 years is 28-1.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:22 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
If Many Clouds has a clear round he will win it. I fancy Silvianaco Conti in a battle with him for the first two places.
A good each way bet is any horse that Kerry Lee trains such as Bishops Road, Russe Blanc and if the rain pisses down and turns Aintree into a bog, lump on Mountainous all of whom are big prices.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:08 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20222
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Nah, I never bet on the favourite, plus only two horses have won twice in a row so I don't fancy Many Clouds. Druids Nephew is my choice so far, then Silviniaco Conti.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:16 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Carlingford Lough now withdrawn and non runner for the National. Keep an eye out for Highland Lodge if it scrapes in at the foot of the weights. Also, Rule the World, Mouse Morris trainer of last Mondays Irish Grand National winner with Nina Carberry up top.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:16 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34559
Location: S E London, near Kent
My missus and kids take pot luck with just the names of the horses and they get a winner or places every year. My youngest picked three out of the first five (which paid up) last year. I win sweet fa. :oops:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:35 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
SELWolf wrote:
My missus and kids take pot luck with just the names of the horses and they get a winner or places every year. My youngest picked three out of the first five (which paid up) last year. I win sweet fa. :oops:



This is your year, go for it, bet on a few horses each way and you will collect a profit. Subscribe to my tipping line for £500 a year and I will set you fair. 8)

Yours Sincerely

Robin Barsteward.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:42 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Latest update on declared horses for Saturdays big race:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/35962227

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:05 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34559
Location: S E London, near Kent
gladbachwolf wrote:
Latest update on declared horses for Saturdays big race:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/35962227



First Lieutenant and Just a Par.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Good luck, SEL get on early and do not leave it until 15 mins before the race when the bookies check out their potential big losses on certain horses and undercut the earlier prices.

I always do eight horses at £2.50 each way on all, total outlay of £40 and over the last five or six years , have broken even once and made a profit on the others. I look for value first and trawl the form to see if the horse I am backing has any indications that it can stay the distance and has run in the last month or so and what ground it can handle, depending on rain etc. Also, a jockey booking that is unusual is another slight indication that a trainer / owner has gone for a top jockey that normally does not ride for the yard.

My current eight bets that I will put on no later than Friday wil be:

The Druids Nephew
Triolo D'Alene
Rocky Creek
Morning Assembly
Double Ross
Ucello Conti
Saint Are.
Many Clouds.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Bookmakers offers for the National:

Betvictor paying 6 places
Skybet, Paddy Power, Betfair paying 5 places
Tote, Corals, Hills, Stan James and Ladbrokes paying 4 places.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:52 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34559
Location: S E London, near Kent
If you place a bet and your horse(s) don't make the cut, do you get your money back?

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:17 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
SELWolf wrote:
If you place a bet and your horse(s) don't make the cut, do you get your money back?


In general no, some bookies offer no runner no bet but not all.Go on oddschecker.com to see who does.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:23 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34559
Location: S E London, near Kent
Rozza wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
If you place a bet and your horse(s) don't make the cut, do you get your money back?


In general no, some bookies offer no runner no bet but not all.Go on oddschecker.com to see who does.


Cheers Mr Roz. So with 87 runners still being in the field I'll wait until closer to the time before making my choice.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
SELWolf wrote:
Rozza wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
If you place a bet and your horse(s) don't make the cut, do you get your money back?


In general no, some bookies offer no runner no bet but not all.Go on oddschecker.com to see who does.


Cheers Mr Roz. So with 87 runners still being in the field I'll wait until closer to the time before making my choice.


We are still in the same generation where you could get 4/1 on your horse actually finishing the race. Elf and safety personified in equine form where the favourite will go off at only twice those odds.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:11 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 pm
Posts: 4596
Bet365 are refunding half your money on each way bets!!!Brilliant offer and the money is refunded within a couple of hours of placing the bet. :D

_________________
"Roy is the best England manager in history tactically" KK 28/6/16


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:02 pm 
Offline
YTS

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 105
Location: ivybridge
Cally wrote:
Nah, I never bet on the favourite, plus only two horses have won twice in a row so I don't fancy Many Clouds. Druids Nephew is my choice so far, then Silviniaco Conti.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


I firmly believe that Many Clouds has the best chance to be a repeat winner probably since probably, West Tip, definitively since Red Rum.

Class horse. It's the old adage 'the oss doh know 'is price'.

Btw about 7 have won it twice or more, though 5 were in the 1800's!! Sorry, I'm an anorak. :mrgreen:

The Druids Nephew, however - he looked good last year until crumpling at the one after Valentines. Worth a punt.

An outsider at EW - Hadrian's Approach - won the Bet365 / Whitbread Gold Cup - whatever it's called, so can do it on his day.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20222
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Oooh I may be tempted then...I'm not totally clued up on horses, I only ever bet on the Grand National so tend to go with tips from elsewhere or horses that I remember from previous years. Definitely going with Druid's Nephew, liking the sound of him more and more.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34559
Location: S E London, near Kent
Cally wrote:
Oooh I may be tempted then...I'm not totally clued up on horses...


I'd say, Cal, that you have every chance of doing well, then. Both my missus and youngest know absolutely nothing about horses but they do well each year. The missus reads the summaries from two papers and makes something of an informed decision and does quite well to very well most years whilst the youngest takes pot luck...and she does better than the missus every year.

As for me, I leave well alone but watch with interest how my picked selection fall early or finish about tenth.

Anyhow, my two choices are above along with Woodford somethingorother...but I wouldn't be surprised if they all fail to make the cut.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20222
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
SELWolf wrote:
Cally wrote:
Oooh I may be tempted then...I'm not totally clued up on horses...


I'd say, Cal, that you have every chance of doing well, then. Both my missus and youngest know absolutely nothing about horses but they do well each year. The missus reads the summaries from two papers and makes something of an informed decision and does quite well to very well most years whilst the youngest takes pot luck...and she does better than the missus every year.

As for me, I leave well alone but watch with interest how my picked selection fall early or finish about tenth.

Anyhow, my two choices are above along with Woodford somethingorother...but I wouldn't be surprised if they all fail to make the cut.


I've done well the last few years, usually have 2-3 horses place in the top 5, but always forgotten to put on an each way bet :roll: Won £30 last year which was my best winnings and paid for my night out :D


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:05 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22990
Location: Cannock.
It is a race that transports you back in time, you wonder where the years have gone because you can recollect winners going back through the decades.

I can remember Mr What in 58 then OXO followed by Merryman II before he was beaten by the grey Nicolaus Silver in 61.
Then you think Fred Winter on Kilmore, followed by Ayala, Team Spirit and Jay Trump.

Even though these horses won the race before England won the World Cup I guess they will never be forgotten.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:59 pm
Posts: 20222
Location: Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
For me...

Many Clouds or Silviano Conti - still not sure about picking last year's winner!
The Druid's Nephew
HolyWell
Saint Are

This may change...I also need to decide on my silly bet :lol:



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
[quote="Cally"]For me...

Many Clouds or Silviano Conti - still not sure about picking last year's winner!
The Druid's Nephew
HolyWell
Saint Are

This may change...I also need to decide on my silly bet :lol:



your silly bets would be ok on Triolo D'Alene 33-1. Double Ross 66-1 or Rocky Creek at 50-1.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:07 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
My money choices are Silvianaco Conti, Holywell and Saint Are. My cheeky bleeder is The Romford Pele who has won for me on several occasions in the past and is carrying bottom weight.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 pm
Posts: 4596
Rozza wrote:
My money choices are Silvianaco Conti, Holywell and Saint Are. My cheeky bleeder is The Romford Pele who has won for me on several occasions in the past and is carrying bottom weight.


Your first post in this thread you said "Bishops Road 33/1" so i thought good enough for Rozza and all that and had a nice e/w!!!Now it looks like i have more chance of Kelly Brook bashing me bishop than it winning.
Stewards enquiry called on this thread and your tips :lol:

_________________
"Roy is the best England manager in history tactically" KK 28/6/16


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:53 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
kenbarlowsslippers wrote:
Rozza wrote:
My money choices are Silvianaco Conti, Holywell and Saint Are. My cheeky bleeder is The Romford Pele who has won for me on several occasions in the past and is carrying bottom weight.


Your first post in this thread you said "Bishops Road 33/1" so i thought good enough for Rozza and all that and had a nice e/w!!!Now it looks like i have more chance of Kelly Brook bashing me bishop than it winning.
Stewards enquiry called on this thread and your tips :lol:


Bishops Road was balloted out ken or i would have been on it. Mind you, my money is on it E/W today in the Topham Chase at Aintree, nice E/W price of 12/1 at the mo.

You got your money back though innit?

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:31 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 pm
Posts: 4596
Rozza wrote:
kenbarlowsslippers wrote:
Rozza wrote:
My money choices are Silvianaco Conti, Holywell and Saint Are. My cheeky bleeder is The Romford Pele who has won for me on several occasions in the past and is carrying bottom weight.


Your first post in this thread you said "Bishops Road 33/1" so i thought good enough for Rozza and all that and had a nice e/w!!!Now it looks like i have more chance of Kelly Brook bashing me bishop than it winning.
Stewards enquiry called on this thread and your tips :lol:


Bishops Road was balloted out ken or i would have been on it. Mind you, my money is on it E/W today in the Topham Chase at Aintree, nice E/W price of 12/1 at the mo.

You got your money back though innit?


I'll get me coat Rozza :oops:
Didn't see my money returned,i'm on it today now and i've given up on Kelly brook :lol:

_________________
"Roy is the best England manager in history tactically" KK 28/6/16


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:50 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:29 pm
Posts: 4596
Unfuckingbelievable Jeff :shock: :(

_________________
"Roy is the best England manager in history tactically" KK 28/6/16


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Grand National 2016
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:05 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18153
kenbarlowsslippers wrote:
Unfuckingbelievable Jeff :shock: :(


Premature evacuation for fucks sake :roll:

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.