Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Share On:

Post subject: Six nations
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm not a big rugby fan, but I watch England and this Eddie Jones character fascinates me..
England won, 15 unbeaten now, despite being second best for most of the game.

How to play under pressure and not panic..well done, just.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Six nations
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Scotland were magnificent, but England know how to win ugly......

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

Beautifully ugly

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Eddie Jones has given England what Wolves need. The ability to win even when it's not going too well. Bringing on Haskell up front as they were tiring gave us that extra momentum to win some forward play and score a try.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

When you know you have more in the locker than your opposition it gives you the belief that if you stick to your game plan in general you will come through as winners.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

I watched an England v France documentary, the other week, and I didn't realise how intense the rivalry was, genuine dislike of each other. This only thawed a bit, at the World cup in South Africa, when they spent some social time with each other. They're a funny breed, the French, but then so are we.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 am 
Manager
Manager

For England to do well they will have to import some flair into the back line.

Never had much flair England through the decades and thats the key downfall.

Not a very imaginative race.

A mate of mine reckons Johnny Wilkinson looks on Rugby how I look on football, takes all sorts.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Do England know or just believe they have enough to beat these 5?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Do England know or just believe they have enough to beat these 5?

What I believe is that England and New Zealand always have enough to be within one score of the opposition by the sixty minute mark.

From that point those nations England/New Zealand have by far the stronger benches so can dominate the final quarter of the game. Fresh energy.
I think the opponents know it and that piles on the pressure during the closing stages of their games.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:58 am 
Manager
Manager

England thrash Scotland, Wales beat Ireland.

England equal The All Blacks record of games won in a streak.

Tell you what my monies on Ireland against England, should be a good price.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

It's in Dublin and yes, Ireland will be up for it and definitely have a chance but I watched England Scotland "as live" when I got back from the match yesterday and there is lots of quality in the England team. The partnership between Ford and Farrell is massive and the speed and trickery of Joseph yesterday was immense. When you add to that the strength in the pack, Lawes, Launchbury etc. are strong and tireless, Itoje has a special spark and Billy Vinupola if fully fit is a battering ram with no little skill, I will not be backing against England.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
It's in Dublin and yes, Ireland will be up for it and definitely have a chance but I watched England Scotland "as live" when I got back from the match yesterday and there is lots of quality in the England team. The partnership between Ford and Farrell is massive and the speed and trickery of Joseph yesterday was immense. When you add to that the strength in the pack, Lawes, Launchbury etc. are strong and tireless, Itoje has a special spark and Billy Vinupola if fully fit is a battering ram with no little skill, I will not be backing against England.

If only Eddie Jones could be persuaded by Fosun to change code. The crowd in Dublin are Ireland's sixteenth man. Eddie Jones is ours.

We will win, as Jones has instilled patience in the side. Ireland on a wave of national hysteria may well score first, but the English lads know a test is a marathon not a sprint, and Jone's drills and use of the bench, will see his team over the line.

Come on Eddie. You know you want to try football and would love Wolverhampton ?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:

If only Eddie Jones could be persuaded by Fosun to change code. The crowd in Dublin are Ireland's sixteenth man. Eddie Jones is ours.

We will win, as Jones has instilled patience in the side. Ireland on a wave of national hysteria may well score first, but the English lads know a test is a marathon not a sprint, and Jone's drills and use of the bench, will see his team over the line.

If we can't tempt Eddie, let's bring in Sir Clive!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

It would be interesting to see how well they could do in Association Football as opposed to Rugby football. They are clearly both good managers, have tactical brains, and are not afraid to make hard decisions. I wonder how much their obvious transferrable skills would overcome their lack of experience in a new sport.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:

If we can't tempt Eddie, let's bring in Sir Clive!

Southampton tried that. They got relegated.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shropswolf wrote:

I'd forgotten about that but wasn't he working as some sort of adviser to Harry Redknapp? That was never going to work.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

I'd forgotten about that but wasn't he working as some sort of adviser to Harry Redknapp? That was never going to work.

English language coach ?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

English language coach ?

I fink it might a been me san.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Fack orf, you cants!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 am 
Manager
Manager

England thrash the form side after mid firing in the tournament??

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:42 am 
Manager
Manager

I always think if you go to Ireland with an expansive game plan your likely to come unstuck.

Expect Eddie Jones to order his half backs to kick for position rather than have them move the ball through the centres.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Party over

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Congratulations Ireland - and KK. It was always a possibility but I thought England might have enough momentum after last week. Ireland locked us out.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Home advantage is massive in Rugby against any side be that against England on a roll or anyone the Irish are capable of winning 4 or 5 minimum out of ten games.
I thought England did well against the Irish intensity and the loss could do them good long term.
Just a little short in terms of flair and fluency in the back division.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 am 
Manager
Manager

The heavy rain in Dublin did not come across that well on the TV.

Fair play to the Paddy Whacks, they played the conditions better than England. The new more expansive England couldn't seem to find the old, hard possession game when they needed it most.

As Eddie said, in some respects down to him and team selection after the weather forecast. The Irish simply superb in the loose and their semi-legal choke tackles worked a dream. Good game to learn from for the future.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I don't think England are short in that area, they just never got enough ball yesterday because the Irish closed us down so well.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I don't think England are short in that area, they just never got enough ball yesterday because the Irish closed us down so well.

I await the Lions test selection with interest, I think with any English inclusions in the backs the Lions lose the big games.

I just dont see a David Duckham, Clive Woodward or a Jeremy Guscott within their ranks though I do like Elliot Daly.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Farrell will start at 12.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
I await the Lions test selection with interest, I think with any English inclusions in the backs the Lions lose the big games.

I just dont see a David Duckham, Clive Woodward or a Jeremy Guscott within their ranks though I do like Elliot Daly.

I'm glad you recognise the potential of Daly. I do think you should look a bit more closely at the ability of Farrell who I (and many of the pundits - including Woodward) think is top class and I would say at least as good as the 3 you mention were. I expect him to be included in the Lions tests.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I'm glad you recognise the potential of Daly. I do think you should look a bit more closely at the ability of Farrell who I (and many of the pundits - including Woodward) think is top class and I would say at least as good as the 3 you mention were. I expect him to be included in the Lions tests.

I remember other home nations producing quality outside halfs in twos who then showed great ability in the centre.
Ireland with Campbell and Ward, Wales with John and Bennett so lets wait and see with Farrell, maybe he has more to his game than I have seen.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport