Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Well that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to sling the arrows of misfortune at a drug cheat ?

I bet all the banned Russians were happy he was allowed to compete.....and win. :cry:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I know that there is an argument for him competing, at the end of the day he did his ban and should be allowed to compete. However, I will never be happy to see any drugs cheat back in an athletics competition. I do have some degree of sympathy for him as he isn't the only one in this position and I haven't see anywhere near as much hostility towards them, but I suppose when you take on one of the most popular sportsmen of all time, you'll always be in for some stick, especially when you beat him.

The biggest problem for me is that I watch sport because I want to be inspired by the men and women who take part. I want to find a hero, someone I can look up to and support through their career, and to see these honest and clean athletes be made to answer for themselves because of the dishonesty of others is really sad. Even now, many athletes can bust a gut to win a medal and there are still questions over their credibility. Mo Farah & Paula Radcliffe had questions asked all because they associated with the wrong people and that's not fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
I know that there is an argument for him competing, at the end of the day he did his ban and should be allowed to compete. However, I will never be happy to see any drugs cheat back in an athletics competition. I do have some degree of sympathy for him as he isn't the only one in this position and I haven't see anywhere near as much hostility towards them, but I suppose when you take on one of the most popular sportsmen of all time, you'll always be in for some stick, especially when you beat him.

The biggest problem for me is that I watch sport because I want to be inspired by the men and women who take part. I want to find a hero, someone I can look up to and support through their career, and to see these honest and clean athletes be made to answer for themselves because of the dishonesty of others is really sad. Even now, many athletes can bust a gut to win a medal and there are still questions over their credibility. Mo Farah & Paula Radcliffe had questions asked all because they associated with the wrong people and that's not fair.

No, they have both had questions asked them for reasons that go beyond that. Who they associate with is only part of it.

Regarding booing, part of what annoyed me is the hypocrisy of it - boo Gatlin, then cheer Yohan Blake a couple of lanes over.

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Athletics and cycling is more about who's got the best chemist than who's playing fair.

Totally agree singling one out of many hypocritical, but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Athletics and cycling is more about who's got the best chemist than who's playing fair.

Totally agree singling one out of many hypocritical, but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Suspect it's not just Athletics and cycling - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/10/wada-describes-lack-of-drug-testing-in-spanish-football-as-alarming

I visited WADA earlier in the year - they told us that they have £30million funding per year. To put that into context, Rio 2016 had 28 sports, and 205 countries participated

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

A ban should be a ban..for life.
And like tomb said the crowd possibly showed its ignorance by not booing Blake.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

I remember when the Dutch girl Daffers was pretty. She looks like Desperate Dan's uncle now.

If it walks like a duck etc etc

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

A tennis player banned for 2 months today, with a cracking excuse - her mum's medication got mixed up with her food

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/40854182

The findings are here: http://www.itftennis.com/media/267586/267586.pdf

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

View from the other side, the Gatlin view.

http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.co ... in-gatlin/

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Good read. It's slightly too far over to Gatlin's side of things, but gives you the basic facts.

For the second case, it doesn't mention that the court said that some of Gatlin's testimony was not credible, regarding Whetstine using a different product on Gatlin to other athletes. Gatlin could provide no witnesses to back up this claim. If you're interested, the American Arbitration Association decision can be found here: https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/AAA-CAS-Decision-Justin-Gatlin-January-2008.pdf

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be incredibly unlucky to be the wrong end of TWO drugs decisions; the first Gatlin seems slightly unlucky on, but I have more doubts over the second

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

toomb wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Good read. It's slightly too far over to Gatlin's side of things, but gives you the basic facts.

For the second case, it doesn't mention that the court said that some of Gatlin's testimony was not credible, regarding Whetstine using a different product on Gatlin to other athletes. Gatlin could provide no witnesses to back up this claim. If you're interested, the American Arbitration Association decision can be found here: https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/AAA-CAS-Decision-Justin-Gatlin-January-2008.pdf

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be incredibly unlucky to be the wrong end of TWO drugs decisions; the first Gatlin seems slightly unlucky on, but I have more doubts over the second

Both really interesting reads, thanks guys.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

It's one of the problems with 'life bans' argument - so many of these have grey areas.

Even the two biggest doping stories of all time both have issues. Lance Armstrong never failed a test and was only ultimately caught out because he treated the rest of the peloton in such a way that they were happy to whistleblow, and the investigations of journalists.

And the Ben Johnson drugs test is shrouded in mystery. He will happily admit he doped, but maintains that he couldn't have tested positive in Seoul, and his drink was spiked AFTER the 100m final

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Utter silence is a far better response than any form of verbal abuse ironically.

Bolt came third, world get used to it, off the top of your heads who came second??

Therein lies the conundrum of courting sporting immortality, fust is best, its what you are prepared to do to achieve the goal that counts. The whole of Russia should be eternally banned from any sporting event now shouldn't they if you apply the Gatlin rule, mm, Gatlin rule, I might seek to patent that term.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Breaking it down, the data.

http://www.hmmrmedia.com/2017/08/why-di ... bolt-lose/

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport