Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport

Share On:

Post subject: Boycott...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ron Atkinson shouldn't have said what he said and was dropped by the Beeb. Boycott, admittedly he admitted his error but doesn't even get suspended. However, I guess that's the end of his knighthood chances gone.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Last edited by SELWolf on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Boycott...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

He should have known better but I always feel there is a lack of self awareness when people are taking the rise out of him. I think his knighthood went when he was convicted of assaulting his former partner.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
He should have known better but I always feel there is a lack of self awareness when people are taking the rise out of him. I think his knighthood went when he was convicted of assaulting his former partner.

I'd forgotten about that.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 am 
Manager
Manager

Boycott's international career ended in 1982 when he was the leading Test run scorer with over 8,000 Test match runs.
When he was dropped from the Yorkshire team in 1986 he was the leading run scorer in first-class cricketer.
12 years on in 1998, he was convicted in France of assaulting his former girlfriend Margaret Moore, he was given a suspended sentence and fined..
He always maintained his innocence.
Both the conviction and his comments cannot be condoned but he should have been knighted after his cricket career finished, years ago, others have been knighted for less.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 am 
Manager
Manager

There's certainly a generational divide in what people think they can and cant say.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Boycott's international career ended in 1982 when he was the leading Test run scorer with over 8,000 Test match runs.
When he was dropped from the Yorkshire team in 1986 he was the leading run scorer in first-class cricketer.
12 years on in 1998, he was convicted in France of assaulting his former girlfriend Margaret Moore, he was given a suspended sentence and fined..
He always maintained his innocence.
Both the conviction and his comments cannot be condoned but he should have been knighted after his cricket career finished, years ago, others have been knighted for less.

Certainly "Sir Ian" was banned from the majority of RAF Mess's in Lincolnshire for loutish behaviour including his fists. Didn't hold him back. Boycott is a very bitter man. My good pal who is now manager of the Hong Kong Cricket Club interviewed him for the club magazine on his last trip to HK. The interview was taped, and the tape quietly disposed of as it was unbelievably blue, with the man ranting about just about everyone and everything you could imagine. I'm afraid this is now his MO, and will forever hold a fantastic sportsman back from the recognition his service to his country on the field deserves.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I believe Mr Boycott is stating that there is "Institutional Racism" within the honours system? I expect there to be an immediate full public enquiry into these awards, which in essence over their history, have been open, honest, and fully justified since their inception :roll:
If those remarks were made in reverse by Brian Lara, who should by all rights have been rewarded by Britain rather than Australia, how different would have been both the reactions and consequences?, if so, why so?

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » General sport