Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: BBC
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I watched Top Gear on Sunday, one of the biggest franchised sellers in BBC history. I am a staunch believer in the BBC and applaud its provenance and outstanding commitment to quality programming for all and its enduring attempts to be non political or unbiased.
The presenters went to Brunei, the country of Brunei has its own views and laws on many things, the most recent being introducing the death penalty for indulging in gay sex amongst other things.

The programme chose to publicly ignore anything that happened there, other than to appease the burgeoning and powerful Pride agenda by a tacit and childish re-painting of the cars used in the show in the symbolic rainbow colours of the Pride movement, a deliberate show of political defiance on behalf of, and by the BBC, WRONG!

A persons sexual preference should never result in state persecution full stop, Christ the clocks creak back 100 years, Oscar Wilde, Alan Turing etc etc, but the BBC should remain above all that and leave their paying viewers to reach their own conclusions on world matters. They promote homosexuality but warn you of impending flashing images FFS??

I dislike anyone pushing an agenda on me, I prefer to indulge myself in my own intellect and judgement innit.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
Whilst I see and also understand some of the views on here about "well off pensioners" nowadays compared to those of yesteryear, I am an OAP and also saved diligently over some years to enable myself to live comfortably in later life rather than just survive on the State Pension, which is the lowest in Europe and has for many years been a disgrace in comparison to most other EU countries. I lived and worked in Germany for 27 years and hardly ever saw a poor pensioner over there, they paid in a fair share but got out a lot more long term. Therefore I count these "benefits" such as free bus pass, railcards, over 75's free TV licence as things that we were given as an aid to later life budgeting and the low rate of pension made these things a boost to a bad state pension and to make life more bearable. I do not feel guilty about being well off ( I am not by the way, I class myself as comfortable) and taking these "benefits", if you're not getting a good deal pension wise from the State, then any add-ons, so to speak are highly welcome.

The State Pension will probably get phased out gradually by a Government in the future and we will all then be expected to plan ahead many years in advance to cater for ourselves in later life. That will also mean the loss of bus passes etc, so I suppose that we should brace ourselves for these probable happenings and those of a younger age at present, more certainly so. The BBC licence fee should be scrapped and something else of a lower rate be introduced as a means of contribution towards watching TV. There are no ideal answers but something will change in the next decade I feel.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine stated he thought the license fee should be scrapped altogether as he thought the BBC were biased and why should he pay if he didn't like the programs or even watch the channels.
I now agree with him -how can the solution to the gender pay gap be to increase the female wage to that of the males, when the solution was the other way round.
If the presenters feel they can get more money elsewhere let em go and do so.
Gary Lineker is the prime example of all thats wrong at the BBC ..abuses his well paid position and also gets money from BT (or is is Sky I dont really know or care tbh) ..what's that all about.

Make the BBC independent & stand on its own two feet - for too long have they sponged off the License Fee to fund their over paid 'stars'.

I think when it comes to pay the BBC should be run like Ajax the football club.

Give young talent every opportunity possible and allow them to move on to other gigs as they wish.
Then promoting fresh talent.
There must be thousands of people awaiting an opportunity.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
Whilst I see and also understand some of the views on here about "well off pensioners" nowadays compared to those of yesteryear, I am an OAP and also saved diligently over some years to enable myself to live comfortably in later life rather than just survive on the State Pension, which is the lowest in Europe and has for many years been a disgrace in comparison to most other EU countries. I lived and worked in Germany for 27 years and hardly ever saw a poor pensioner over there, they paid in a fair share but got out a lot more long term. Therefore I count these "benefits" such as free bus pass, railcards, over 75's free TV licence as things that we were given as an aid to later life budgeting and the low rate of pension made these things a boost to a bad state pension and to make life more bearable. I do not feel guilty about being well off ( I am not by the way, I class myself as comfortable) and taking these "benefits", if you're not getting a good deal pension wise from the State, then any add-ons, so to speak are highly welcome.

The State Pension will probably get phased out gradually by a Government in the future and we will all then be expected to plan ahead many years in advance to cater for ourselves in later life. That will also mean the loss of bus passes etc, so I suppose that we should brace ourselves for these probable happenings and those of a younger age at present, more certainly so. The BBC licence fee should be scrapped and something else of a lower rate be introduced as a means of contribution towards watching TV. There are no ideal answers but something will change in the next decade I feel.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine stated he thought the license fee should be scrapped altogether as he thought the BBC were biased and why should he pay if he didn't like the programs or even watch the channels.
I now agree with him -how can the solution to the gender pay gap be to increase the female wage to that of the males, when the solution was the other way round.
Gary Lineker is the prime example of all thats wrong at the BBC ..abuses his well paid position and also gets money from BT (or is is Sky I dont really know or care tbh) ..what's that all about.

Make the BBC independent & stand on its own two feet - for too long have they sponged off the License Fee to fund their over paid 'stars'.

Give young talent every opportunity possible and allow them to move on to other gigs as they wish.
There must be thousands of people awaiting an opportunity.

But the BBC admit that their viewing public are in the majority, over the age of sixty five. How do they survive if they alienate their viewers. Who looks after the raging community, the community that actually watches the bloody telly ?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am 
Manager
Manager

]Whilst I see and also understand some of the views on here about "well off pensioners" nowadays compared to those of yesteryear, I am an OAP and also saved diligently over some years to enable myself to live comfortably in later life rather than just survive on the State Pension, which is the lowest in Europe and has for many years been a disgrace in comparison to most other EU countries. I lived and worked in Germany for 27 years and hardly ever saw a poor pensioner over there, they paid in a fair share but got out a lot more long term. Therefore I count these "benefits" such as free bus pass, railcards, over 75's free TV licence as things that we were given as an aid to later life budgeting and the low rate of pension made these things a boost to a bad state pension and to make life more bearable. I do not feel guilty about being well off ( I am not by the way, I class myself as comfortable) and taking these "benefits", if you're not getting a good deal pension wise from the State, then any add-ons, so to speak are highly welcome.

The State Pension will probably get phased out gradually by a Government in the future and we will all then be expected to plan ahead many years in advance to cater for ourselves in later life. That will also mean the loss of bus passes etc, so I suppose that we should brace ourselves for these probable happenings and those of a younger age at present, more certainly so. The BBC licence fee should be scrapped and something else of a lower rate be introduced as a means of contribution towards watching TV. There are no ideal answers but something will change in the next decade I feel.[/quote]

Make the BBC independent & stand on its own two feet - for too long have they sponged off the License Fee to fund their over paid 'stars'.[/quote]

There must be thousands of people awaiting an opportunity.[/quote]

But the BBC admit that their viewing public are in the majority, over the age of sixty five. How do they survive if they alienate their viewers. Who looks after the raging community, the community that actually watches the bloody telly ?[/quote]

Ask the public, do you want a cap on what we pay?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
]Whilst I see and also understand some of the views on here about "well off pensioners" nowadays compared to those of yesteryear, I am an OAP and also saved diligently over some years to enable myself to live comfortably in later life rather than just survive on the State Pension, which is the lowest in Europe and has for many years been a disgrace in comparison to most other EU countries. I lived and worked in Germany for 27 years and hardly ever saw a poor pensioner over there, they paid in a fair share but got out a lot more long term. Therefore I count these "benefits" such as free bus pass, railcards, over 75's free TV licence as things that we were given as an aid to later life budgeting and the low rate of pension made these things a boost to a bad state pension and to make life more bearable. I do not feel guilty about being well off ( I am not by the way, I class myself as comfortable) and taking these "benefits", if you're not getting a good deal pension wise from the State, then any add-ons, so to speak are highly welcome.

Make the BBC independent & stand on its own two feet - for too long have they sponged off the License Fee to fund their over paid 'stars'.[/quote]

There must be thousands of people awaiting an opportunity.[/quote]

But the BBC admit that their viewing public are in the majority, over the age of sixty five. How do they survive if they alienate their viewers. Who looks after the raging community, the community that actually watches the bloody telly ?[/quote]

Ask the public, do you want a cap on what we pay?[/quote]

You mean like have a referendum where they promise to respect the views of the majority and implement it?

Does anyone else find that ironic?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am 
Manager
Manager

As with other huge organizations without transparency you find a gravy train gets created.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
As with other huge organizations without transparency you find a gravy train gets created.

A bit like major political parties really.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

The Tories shovelled the benefit over to the BBC to cut funds - but it could now cost the government more than it saves

BBC over-75s TV licence axe backfires spectacularly as Tories face £1.6bn bill

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-18335538

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
The Tories shovelled the benefit over to the BBC to cut funds - but it could now cost the government more than it saves

BBC over-75s TV licence axe backfires spectacularly as Tories face £1.6bn bill

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-18335538

Be careful about the figures quoted though KK. The £1.6b is on the assumption that everyone who is entitled to Pension credit and is not claiming it for whatever reason will suddenly do so. But what bothers me more is why the BBC and the Tories can be in such a battle like this when you keep telling us that the BBC are biased towards the Tories and are totally under their thumb. Are you able to explain this?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just watching the paper review on Sky news and we have the person known as Carole Malone uttering tripe.
Do people believe these people?

Feckin clueless, the news programmes are riddled with them. Dumbed down debate and getting worse.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Just watching the paper review on Sky news and we have the person known as Carole Malone uttering tripe.
Do people believe these people?

Feckin clueless, the news programmes are riddled with them. Dumbed down debate and getting worse.

I don't know the woman and you don't tell us anything about what she said but let me guess she had some right wing views and was, maybe a little critical of Jeremy or one of his cohorts.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:38 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Yeh - need that Owen bloke from the Guardian every night; he will be unbiased...!!

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Yeh - need that Owen bloke from the Guardian every night; he will be unbiased...!!

To create balance you would need a dozen of Owen such is the lack of balanced reporting.

He must have nightmares of Custers last stand.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

To create balance you would need a dozen of Owen such is the lack of balanced reporting.

He must have nightmares of Custers last stand.

Only to those who walk around leaning leftwards all the time. Those who are willing to look at the whole picture objectively take a different view. There is no doubt that many newspapers are very right leaning but most people know that before they buy them and are looking to reinforce their views and there are plenty of Left Wing biased publications you can access if you want them. Perhaps you want to try to convince me that the likes of the Guardian or your beloved Skwawkbox are impartial. The BBC seems to have as many people who believe it is leftist as it does those who believe it is right wing. It is individual perception of course and we know how your tracking is skewed to the left.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:32 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Lets have a look at the BBC and SKY as examples over the next week.

Point out the people who represent Jeremy Corbyn while I point out those who represent right wing propaganda.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Point out the people who represent Jeremy Corbyn while I point out those who represent right wing propaganda.

Is your TV broken?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:06 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Is your TV broken?

Quite often I wish it was why?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:03 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The main problem with such a challenge Knocker, even if I could be arsed to do it, is that what you see as right wing propaganda I often see as middle of the road centrist views.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Hey BBC, Wake the fuck up.

We have a Government spending money to mitigate the negative impact of their own policies, how about some journo having a deeper examination of whats going on.

This is a Government who destroyed the legal aid system to save barely £1bn. The most vulnerable among us were cast adrift at the lowest points in their lives,

homeless, sick and disabled, unemployed, victims of crime, those falsely accused of crime.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

We have a Government spending money to mitigate the negative impact of their own policies, how about some journo having a deeper examination of whats going on.

This is a Government who destroyed the legal aid system to save barely £1bn. The most vulnerable among us were cast adrift at the lowest points in their lives,

homeless, sick and disabled, unemployed, victims of crime, those falsely accused of crime.

I think they're making a few more anti-semitism documentaries first KK. Perhaps when they've exhausted that deep pool, they may get around to it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think they're making a few more anti-semitism documentaries first KK. Perhaps when they've exhausted that deep pool, they may get around to it.

Yeah where Fact loses out to Fiction, Sad BBC, really sad.
Imagine Labour asking for 2 billion here and there, imagine Labour promising all the money that Johnson has promised this past week.
Then think what narrative the media would have projected this past week on Labours spending plans.

You just don't get the truth, the lot are as bent as fuck.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
[

Some of us live in a fantasy world where we can't separate our preconceptions from reality. I guess.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Imagine Labour asking for 2 billion here and there, imagine Labour promising all the money that Johnson has promised this past week.
Then think what narrative the media would have projected this past week on Labours spending plans.

That is a drop in the ocean to the cost of Labour's nationalisation program. For year's we've listened to you bang on about Tory austerity. When a Tory listens and promises to open the purse strings for the good of the country, up go your arms in horror. Hypocritical doesn't come close.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

homeless, sick and disabled, unemployed, victims of crime, those falsely accused of crime.[/quote]

I think they're making a few more anti-semitism documentaries first KK. Perhaps when they've exhausted that deep pool, they may get around to it.[/quote]

You just don't get the truth, the lot are as bent as fuck.[/quote]

That is a drop in the ocean to the cost of Labour's nationalisation program. For year's we've listened to you bang on about Tory austerity. When a Tory listens and promises to open the purse strings for the good of the country, up go your arms in horror. Hypocritical doesn't come close.[/quote]

The hypocrisy is the fact the Tories introduced an Austerity program in the first place when the country required investment to enable growth.
That's another failure of the BBC and its political reporters to not point out this was a decision based on ideology rather than requirement.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
The hypocrisy is the fact the Tories introduced an Austerity program in the first place when the country required investment to enable growth.
That's another failure of the BBC and its political reporters to not point out this was a decision based on ideology rather than requirement.

Once again you are propounding your interpretations as facts. "The country required investment to enable growth" is an opinion only - many will say that the austerity was necessary then to put us in a position where we can start developing now.

"A decision based on ideology rather than requirement" is an opinion not a fact for the same reason I have just pointed out in the previous paragraph.

In any case there have been many occasions when the BBC have questioned the austerity programme - you just don't want to recognise that because it doesn't match your jaundiced view.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Once again you are propounding your interpretations as facts. "The country required investment to enable growth" is an opinion only - many will say that the austerity was necessary then to put us in a position where we can start developing now.

"A decision based on ideology rather than requirement" is an opinion not a fact for the same reason I have just pointed out in the previous paragraph.

In any case there have been many occasions when the BBC have questioned the austerity programme - you just don't want to recognise that because it doesn't match your jaundiced view.

Austerity was introduced to claw the nation back from the oblivion left by the Labour Government's reckless spending. The note left in the Treasury explains it succinctly KK.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

No it wasn't austerity was introduced because of Tory ideology to cut back on front line services which had been upgraded and fully funded by previous Labour governments.

The nation had returned to growth post GLOBAL economic crash caused by the US sub prime market falling apart.

Osborne a piss poor chancellor then created a period of economic stagnation.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
No it wasn't austerity was introduced because of Tory ideology to cut back on front line services which had been upgraded and fully funded by previous Labour governments.

The nation had returned to growth post GLOBAL economic crash caused by the US sub prime market falling apart.

Funny ? That's not what the note said....

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Funny ? That's not what the note said....

Obviously not the national DEBT since then has DOUBLED under the Tories.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

Once again you are repeating an opinion. It is not a proven fact.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand