Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 am 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 3970
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

Climate change and the impact on water reserves etc means that for me water companies should NOT be in private ownership.

Ive said it before as far as I am concerned water is the one of the only commodities - maybe along with power (maybe) - that should be controlled by the government.


And air?


:) good point - would city folk get a tax rebate for poor air quality then?


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:09 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
davejonesears wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

Climate change and the impact on water reserves etc means that for me water companies should NOT be in private ownership.

Ive said it before as far as I am concerned water is the one of the only commodities - maybe along with power (maybe) - that should be controlled by the government.


And air?


:) good point - would city folk get a tax rebate for poor air quality then?


The local authorities are already working on it :roll: For those of us who live in Birmingham we have just had a proposal which suggests closing down the tunnels through the City to private traffic. For someone like me who travels from the north east side to the south side on a regular basis it would entail a ring road diversion adding several miles(extra fuel!!) and very likely an extended travel time as the ring road clogs up and all the surrounding areas near the ring road get the smog instead of the city. I could of course take the train/bus as an alternative, given the reliability of the trains recently I may never get there in time but in any case it would involve both bus and train and a walk between the two increasing my journey time by about half an hour each way if they are on time. Not much of a tax rebate for me then. :lol:

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 3970
Left back wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

And air?


:) good point - would city folk get a tax rebate for poor air quality then?


The local authorities are already working on it :roll: For those of us who live in Birmingham we have just had a proposal which suggests closing down the tunnels through the City to private traffic. For someone like me who travels from the north east side to the south side on a regular basis it would entail a ring road diversion adding several miles(extra fuel!!) and very likely an extended travel time as the ring road clogs up and all the surrounding areas near the ring road get the smog instead of the city. I could of course take the train/bus as an alternative, given the reliability of the trains recently I may never get there in time but in any case it would involve both bus and train and a walk between the two increasing my journey time by about half an hour each way if they are on time. Not much of a tax rebate for me then. :lol:


Yep absolutely pathetic isn't it...what is driving (no pun intended) that ridiculous decision...somebody somewhere will be making money out of these sorts of ilogical 'green' decisions.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
I welcome FREE Bus and Tram travel to and from each City centre, linked to FREE train travel at certain times on short routes.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:35 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
I welcome FREE Bus and Tram travel to and from each City centre, linked to FREE train travel at certain times on short routes.


For those of us of a certain age, that is available now but not when required at rush hour times in the morning - when I would most want to use it. The other issue is the reliability of public transport, particularly the trains, it makes it difficult to hold down a job when you can't guarantee being in on time once or twice a week (plus late arrivals home). Until that is sorted out people will continue to use their cars.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
When Osborne sold off Royal Mail, 16 priority investors were created. The one granted most shares was Capital Group, employer of Philip May, which made between £26m and £39m in 1st week. 2nd biggest profit (between £12m and £27m) was made by BlackRock, which now employs Osborne..

This is why Tories want to be in government.. Totally corrupt...

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
When Osborne sold off Royal Mail, 16 priority investors were created. The one granted most shares was Capital Group, employer of Philip May, which made between £26m and £39m in 1st week. 2nd biggest profit (between £12m and £27m) was made by BlackRock, which now employs Osborne..

This is why Tories want to be in government.. Totally corrupt...


What evidence is this of corruption? Have you evidence that Capital and Blackrock sold in the first week or are you talking about paper profits based on the market price at that time. In fact, if they still hold their allocations they will be making a loss at this point. You are a long way from proving your allegations at the moment.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
Wolverhampton council have submitted a claim for Government funding but they had to do so by excluding Bilston and Wednesfield.

The very places that require some help and have done for decades.

While adding places near to Wolverhampton in more prosperous areas.


And the working bloke well some of them voted for these creatures.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:06 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 16943
Location: Moved
knocker knowles wrote:
Wolverhampton council have submitted a claim for Government funding but they had to do so by excluding Bilston and Wednesfield.

The very places that require some help and have done for decades.

While adding places near to Wolverhampton in more prosperous areas.


And the working bloke well some of them voted for these creatures.



What was the funding for, and who made them exclude the areas?

_________________
Don't go around saying the world owes you anything, it was here first. Mark Twain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:36 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9554
Location: The Cotswolds
Oh for the heady days of the 60s when living in Fairview Road in Wednesfield (Nearer to Wolverhampton than Wednesfield town centre, or even Bushbury Hill) we were in Staffordshire, not Wolverhampton at all, and even had as our MP the marvellous Jennie Lee as we were located in the constituency of Cannock!

But agree it is outrageous. Who on earth would 'insist' that Bilston and Wednesfield were dropped from a bid? Was it something to do with the criteria for the bid? Or was it a decision of the Council? Or the department to which the bid was being sent? I think we should be told!

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:37 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
It seems a strange one given Boris' promise to assist those who turned from Labour to support him. It looks lke it was the central Department not the council making that decision but no-one seems to be saying what the reasoning is. It would be helpful to know.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
Tory Secretary of State for Work & Pensions’ describes food banks as a “perfect way” to meet the challenges of those in poverty.

You fuckin what.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:07 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
Nov 2019
Tories announce public spending increases of up to £34bn per year.

Dec 2019
Tories elected.

Jan 2020
Tories announce public spending cuts of up to £43bn per year.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 16943
Location: Moved
knocker knowles wrote:
Nov 2019
Tories announce public spending increases of up to £34bn per year.

Dec 2019
Tories elected.

Jan 2020
Tories announce public spending cuts of up to £43bn per year.


Try to read and then quote accurately.

_________________
Don't go around saying the world owes you anything, it was here first. Mark Twain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Nov 2019
Tories announce public spending increases of up to £34bn per year.

Dec 2019
Tories elected.

Jan 2020
Tories announce public spending cuts of up to £43bn per year.


Try to read and then quote accurately.


A typical KK post. Reads what he wants to in something then misleadingly posts a "fake news" comment without naming the source. About as reliable as his beloved "Skwawkbox".

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 16943
Location: Moved
I am really enjoying the Corbyn-nits trying to say Boris is "stealing" their policy as he does exactly what he promised, which was to take a completely failing network by the balls and actually do something to make the real people's lives in the North, better. This is not Labour loonies total nationalisation, far from it. Those networks that are working, or importantly after seeing government's resolve, those that can be made to work, are left alone. Those that don't toe the line and actually deliver a service will lose their cash-cow.

In addition, the cabinet will decamp post-Brexit day to Sunderland. Again as promised, he will take government out of the Westminster bubble to actually see what the North looks like. Labour's "Away day" to get close again to their core, and discuss how it was everybody else's fault bar-their own for their historic botty slapping was also held. Where did they go to get away from Westminster to be with their people ?.....North London. And they wonder why.......

_________________
Don't go around saying the world owes you anything, it was here first. Mark Twain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:25 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
suiging wrote:
I am really enjoying the Corbyn-nits trying to say Boris is "stealing" their policy as he does exactly what he promised, which was to take a completely failing network by the balls and actually do something to make the real people's lives in the North, better. This is not Labour loonies total nationalisation, far from it. Those networks that are working, or importantly after seeing government's resolve, those that can be made to work, are left alone. Those that don't toe the line and actually deliver a service will lose their cash-cow.

In addition, the cabinet will decamp post-Brexit day to Sunderland. Again as promised, he will take government out of the Westminster bubble to actually see what the North looks like. Labour's "Away day" to get close again to their core, and discuss how it was everybody else's fault bar-their own for their historic botty slapping was also held. Where did they go to get away from Westminster to be with their people ?.....North London. And they wonder why.......


Its good that a poster on this forum is trying to big up a Government policy.
For the sake of the people I hope they resolve the major issues they face..

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
This government of millionaires is still refusing to end the 5 week wait for a 1st universal credit payment

Which is leaving some of the poorest people in the country no choice but to turn to foodbanks and high interest lenders to survive..

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:04 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21354
Location: Four Oaks
I agree that the wait is too long for people who are living hand to mouth but there is an advance payment system to help alleviate that - are people using it appropriately?

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9554
Location: The Cotswolds
Interesting shuffle. Boris is tightening grip on No11. He has learned from the May-Hamond and Blair-Brown days that having a chancellor who has different ideas from yours is not helpful.

He clearly does not want to spend the next 3 years battling with No11 to get the money for the various 'projects' that are going to cost billions. Interesting that No10 and No11 are thinking of having a JOINT team of SPADs instead of two separate teams that seem to constantly be briefing against each other.

Boris flexing his muscles.

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:03 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 4543
Location: London
Boris did love his disastrous infrastructure boondoggles when he was Mayor of London. Our debt levels remain elevated and the green nonsense he wants us to adopt, to keep his current fling happy, will strangle growth so it doesn't look good. Add in a catastrophic new immigration policy that appears to have been written by the cheap labour lobby and it looks like Boris is going to be as big a flop as I suspected.

_________________
Image

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 pm 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 3970
Not happy with this intrusion by Boris - a suplicant chancellor is NOT the way to run the government this does not auger well.

It will be interesting to see how the new guy strategically handles his position - will he be just a puppet or use the position he finds himself in to his advantage.

There's been a few things recently Boris has implemented that make me feel uncomfortable.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 16943
Location: Moved
davejonesears wrote:
Not happy with this intrusion by Boris - a suplicant chancellor is NOT the way to run the government this does not auger well.

It will be interesting to see how the new guy strategically handles his position - will he be just a puppet or use the position he finds himself in to his advantage.

There's been a few things recently Boris has implemented that make me feel uncomfortable.


Sadly he was a lifelong Thatcherite. Boris is a small 'l' liberal who wants to spend some money. Oil and water.

_________________
Don't go around saying the world owes you anything, it was here first. Mark Twain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:59 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7903
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
All the signs of a Cummings hatchet job. A nasty little piece of shit that guy for sure. Who's running the country, Boris or Cummings..?? It is easy to see at present and bodes ill longer term.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:55 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
Got no time for Johnson and this latest batch of Tories, but he has rid himself of some AIRHEADS.

Though the promotion of Branden Lewis a posh boys Boycie to the position held previously by Julian Smith looks like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ireland requires interlect.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
IT is less than 100 days since Boris Johnson declared – now infamously – that Yorkshire’s floods were “not a national emergency”.


Is this a good time to mention that most of the flood defences built in recent years (in the North), have been financed by the EU?
How much is Johnson willing to pay out to reward those within the Red Wall who voted for him and are now flooded out of their homes I wonder?

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9554
Location: The Cotswolds
knocker knowles wrote:
Got no time for Johnson and this latest batch of Tories, but he has rid himself of some AIRHEADS.

Though the promotion of Branden Lewis a posh boys Boycie to the position held previously by Julian Smith looks like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ireland requires interlect.


Agree that he needed to rid self of lightweights, but getting rid of Smith seems a strange one. Presumably it is the Brexit issue, and significant disagreement over how to sort border issue.

Getting rid of chancellor was probe best done NOW rather than wait till they fall out properly! The replacement - whilst very much a 'posh-boy' - does seem to have the intellect and experience to make a rather better job of it. Interesting times ahead!

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:39 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Got no time for Johnson and this latest batch of Tories, but he has rid himself of some AIRHEADS.

Though the promotion of Branden Lewis a posh boys Boycie to the position held previously by Julian Smith looks like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ireland requires interlect.


Agree that he needed to rid self of lightweights, but getting rid of Smith seems a strange one. Presumably it is the Brexit issue, and significant disagreement over how to sort border issue.

Getting rid of chancellor was probe best done NOW rather than wait till they fall out properly! The replacement - whilst very much a 'posh-boy' - does seem to have the intellect and experience to make a rather better job of it. Interesting times ahead!


There was a resentment and bitterness between Johnson and Smith formed during Smiths time as Mays chief whip.
Johnson holds grudges shocker.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:35 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 16943
Location: Moved
knocker knowles wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Got no time for Johnson and this latest batch of Tories, but he has rid himself of some AIRHEADS.

Though the promotion of Branden Lewis a posh boys Boycie to the position held previously by Julian Smith looks like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ireland requires interlect.


Agree that he needed to rid self of lightweights, but getting rid of Smith seems a strange one. Presumably it is the Brexit issue, and significant disagreement over how to sort border issue.

Getting rid of chancellor was probe best done NOW rather than wait till they fall out properly! The replacement - whilst very much a 'posh-boy' - does seem to have the intellect and experience to make a rather better job of it. Interesting times ahead!


There was a resentment and bitterness between Johnson and Smith formed during Smiths time as Mays chief whip.
Johnson holds grudges shocker.


Yes. If only he was like Corbyn/Momentum, where everyone is free to express their opinion without a worry......

_________________
Don't go around saying the world owes you anything, it was here first. Mark Twain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:53 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25232
Location: Cannock.
]Got no time for Johnson and this latest batch of Tories, but he has rid himself of some AIRHEADS.

Though the promotion of Branden Lewis a posh boys Boycie to the position held previously by Julian Smith looks like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ireland requires interlect.[/quote]

Agree that he needed to rid self of lightweights, but getting rid of Smith seems a strange one. Presumably it is the Brexit issue, and significant disagreement over how to sort border issue.

Getting rid of chancellor was probe best done NOW rather than wait till they fall out properly! The replacement - whilst very much a 'posh-boy' - does seem to have the intellect and experience to make a rather better job of it. Interesting times ahead![/quote]

There was a resentment and bitterness between Johnson and Smith formed during Smiths time as Mays chief whip.
Johnson holds grudges shocker.[/quote]

Yes. If only he was like Corbyn/Momentum, where everyone is free to express their opinion without a worry......[/quote]

Quite the opposite.

The problem Labour found was there was an endless number of centre right Labour politicians continually looking to put the boot in on Jeremey Corbyn.
With an establishment media looking to give them every platform available to them the opportunity to do so.
Look no further than those idiots in Dudley and West Bromwich. SELL OUTS BOTH OF THEM.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.