Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: Corona
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

So Boris still refuses to shut down construction sites- don't bite the hand that feeds you hey Boris.

What with this - his ambiguity about exercise allowing many to spend all day out the unavailabily of home delievery slots combined with the original half arsed strategy this is fast becoming a farce and makes a complete mockery of this so called lockdown.

He must live in a dream world tbh.

It wont be Brexit that defines his tenureship in the history books it will be this.

His defining moment and I'll define him as a dithering pontificating wanker-leadership my big fat hairy arse.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
So Boris still refuses to shut down construction sites- don't bite the hand that feeds you hey Boris.

What with this - his ambiguity about exercise allowing many to spend all day out the unavailabily of home delievery slots combined with the original half arsed strategy this is fast becoming a farce and makes a complete mockery of this so called lockdown.

It wont be Brexit that defines his tenureship in the history books it will be this.

His defining moment and I'll define him as a dithering pontificating wanker-leadership my big fat hairy arse.

The alternative was akin to sewing a button on ones bellend.

I certainly think Boris will not go down in history as you portray it dje, and I certainly think that the chancellor has shone over the crisis seeings that nobody has ever had to deal with such grave matters.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Rozza wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

I certainly think Boris will not go down in history as you portray it dje, and I certainly think that the chancellor has shone over the crisis seeings that nobody has ever had to deal with such grave matters.

oh don't get me wrong I don't think Corbyn would have done any better far from it ..but I just think Boris is not generating the authority be should have...he seems to not want to make certain hard decisions prefering to hope ( and it's misplaced hope) that the Great British public will display the attitude needed by default.
we have moved on as a society and not in all cases for the better ..the freedoms we have experienced the free market self with the PC liberalisation have created SELF only society.

I feel he truly doesn't appreciate the extent of this ...and is not providing the hard authoritarian response needed...ironically his idol Churchill knew people and knew what was needed...Boris doesn't.

I hope I'm wrong and he does have it in him..I hope he is just trying the softly softly catchee monkey approach initially to see if it will work....and is prepared to move to an harder approach if/when it doesn't .work.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
Rozza wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

oh don't get me wrong I don't think Corbyn would have done any better far from it ..but I just think Boris is not generating the authority be should have...he seems to not want to make certain hard decisions prefering to hope ( and it's misplaced hope) that the Great British public will display the attitude needed by default.
we have moved on as a society and not in all cases for the better ..the freedoms we have experienced the free market self with the PC liberalisation have created SELF only society.

I feel he truly doesn't appreciate the extent of this ...and is not providing the hard authoritarian response needed...ironically his idol Churchill knew people and knew what was needed...Boris doesn't.

I hope I'm wrong and he does have it in him..I hope he is just trying the softly softly catchee monkey approach initially to see if it will work....and is prepared to move to an harder approach if/when it doesn't .work.

I think he knows that if he pushed too hard too quickly, the great unwashed of Britain would have kicked off, and wore as a badge of honour, decention. He's playing a very dangerous but necessary psychological game.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

As always....

it is so so so easy to 'make decisions' when YOU are not the one who has to actually make decisions - especially when those decisions are as draconian as they have to be.

Boris ain't perfect, and he is not experienced in a crisis - but sure is now. Whether he rises to it or collapses under the weight of expectation we won't know for a while, but all those spouting about 'strong leaders' like Churchill and Maggie need to remember just how hopeless THEY were in the beginning, and that they both managed to get MASSIVE dissension against them.

History can look kindly or unkindly, but it rarely comes to the same conclusion as is being drawn at the time.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Isn't Bozza just taking advice from the experts, and acting accordingly? There is no way he's in any position to decide what measures we should take, and now is no time for playing politics.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Isn't Bozza just taking advice from the experts, and acting accordingly? There is no way he's in any position to decide what measures we should take, and now is no time for playing politics.

Sort of. His medical experts will have told him a total 'Wuhan' shutdown would have been the best way to contain this from day one of UK infections. His political analysists, will have told him the chances of the UK population complying with the order as the spread progressed.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am 
Manager
Manager

“Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... oronavirus

So far, despite it having been here since January, at least in London, there has been no discernible impact on the daily number of deaths that happen anyway.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Problem is Boris started listening to the experts at Imperial College and their alarmist predictions, he should start listening to his original advisers, and the likes of Oxford University, who have more realistic, and so far more accurate, forecasts.

Actually even the Imperial fella Niall Ferguson was saying we will get less than twenty thousand deaths, so basically not much different than a bad flu season.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Boris is playing a ball juggling game, trying to keep all the balls up in the air whilst listening to all the "experts". As we will no doubt find out in hindsight, some experts will get it nearly right and the rest will be way off the mark. In this scenario, a PM can be damned if you do and also damned if you don't.....very hard calls to make judgements on and then hope you are right. I wonder if he sleeps well at night...?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

There are now calls to release prisoners for fear of them catching Covid. In essence what the plan means is that inmates who now have immediate access to light, heat, food, social contact, medical interventions, drug rehab, will be released back into their inherent chaotic shite that led to them going into prison in the first place.
What will be different on the outside is the current massive depletion of the people responsible for keeping them out of prison and offering help and care,... total bollocks.

It reminds me of one of those old Friday night Hammer horror film where the villagers complete with smocks, pitchforks and flaming torches crowd together outside the church intent on killing someone because of the plague of Vampires currently laying waste to them.

Imagine then Igor standing before the crowd shouting "I have a plan". The crowd implore Igor to give them his plan and he suggests that they release a load of Werewolves to take their minds off their current plight.

Igor is then wrapped in a shawl, pitchforked to fuck and then roughly thrown off a bridge.

Hopefully the same fate will befall the fuckwit who believes releasing prisoners will have a beneficial effect on anyone other than the prisoner :roll:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
There are now calls to release prisoners for fear of them catching Covid. In essence what the plan means is that inmates who now have immediate access to light, heat, food, social contact, medical interventions, drug rehab, will be released back into their inherent chaotic shite that led to them going into prison in the first place.
What will be different on the outside is the current massive depletion of the people responsible for keeping them out of prison and offering help and care,... total bollocks.

It reminds me of one of those old Friday night Hammer horror film where the villagers complete with smocks, pitchforks and flaming torches crowd together outside the church intent on killing someone because of the plague of Vampires currently laying waste to them.

Imagine then Igor standing before the crowd shouting "I have a plan". The crowd implore Igor to give them his plan and he suggests that they release a load of Werewolves to take their minds off their current plight.

Igor is then wrapped in a shawl, pitchforked to fuck and then roughly thrown off a bridge.

Hopefully the same fate will befall the fuckwit who believes releasing prisoners will have a beneficial effect on anyone other than the prisoner :roll:

Captain Kronos would have been at the front, once he'd tended to the busty wenches in the village.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Captain Kronos would have been at the front, once he'd tended to the busty wenches in the village.

One hopes released prisoners will be half-way housed with members of the Green Party, Lily Allen or the lovely Emma Thompson

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:49 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Rozza wrote:

Pathetic isn't it - surely as long as prison officers correctly follow sanitization proceedures they may be better off in thier cells for the duration.

Solitary confinement for all prisoners would be my solution....but it would infringe their human rights so best let them out -poor little lambs - and fuck everybody else.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

All those self employed people who have gleefully declared non profits over the last few years can now smell piss on their chips :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 pm 

Rozza wrote:
All those self employed people who have gleefully declared non profits over the last few years can now smell piss on their chips :mrgreen:

The same thought had crossed my mind!! That the guys who have been trying for years to play down their income to avoid (much) tax will now be unable to claim much!

BUT then again, they tend to be 'the little guys' I suspect, who ain't got reserves to fall back on. just another bunch of 'hard luck' stories....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:02 am 
Manager
Manager

Don't think people realise that this is going to be a worse economic hit than 2008. Budget deficit is projected to triple, bigger stock market crash than 1929, US unemployment claims were 3.3 million with the highest claim previously being 695 thousand, a lot of bonds (the heart of every pension fund) are now worthless and the whole financial system is being barely propped up.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

So Boris has now gone down with this virus!

You would have thought they would have been particularly stringent with the implementations of their own advice, shows how difficult it is to do so I suppose.

Hopefully he will quickly recover- and his two oppo's on the podium don't get it!

edited to add and the Health Secretary Matt Hancock -

I hope the rest of the government aren't impacted- whether we agree with everything they have said/done its important we have some direction in the country at this time.

They should now test all government ministers and those involved at the higher levels as a matter of course immediately to ensure they can continue to provide the service needed.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Worth remembering Italians were hit hard by the Spanish flu, British people less so. It is likely we have a stronger genetic resistance.

A 1921 investigation into Spanish Flu, in The American Journal of Hygiene, reported ethnic differences in mortality from the virus, commenting that, in comparison to other immigrants, the death rate was “enormously high among Italians” but “lower than would be expected among persons of Irish, English and German stock,” presumably based on the mortality rate that poverty would predict [Influenza: An Epidemiologic Study, by Warren Taylor Vaughan, American Journal of Hygiene, 1921].

The pandemic scythed through urban America’s Little Italies, and Italian-Americans had one of the very highest mortality rates in the entire country [America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918, by Alfred Crosby, 2003, pp.227-228].

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

This is an incredible data site, devised by a 17 year old boy from Seattle:

https://ncov2019.live/data

It updates every minute or so. Staggering .

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

The Tory legacy of starving the NHS of funds and stripping sections of it down along with closing wards and not providing the equipment which their own audits have shown to be in short supply of has come back to bite them on the bum.

When the Telegraph (the mouthpiece of the Tories as Pravda is to the politburo) starts publishing items criticising Tory funding to the NHS then the Tories must know they’re in deep trouble.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... =DM1226686

Johnson is pursuing a Keynesian economic policy which Corbyn would have been absolutely slated for had he been in power and done the same thing.

Give the rich £1,000 and they will save it but give the poor £1,000 and they will spend it.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
The Tory legacy of starving the NHS of funds and stripping sections of it down along with closing wards and not providing the equipment which their own audits have shown to be in short supply of has come back to bite them on the bum.

When the Telegraph (the mouthpiece of the Tories as Pravda is to the politburo) starts publishing items criticising Tory funding to the NHS then the Tories must know they’re in deep trouble.

Johnson is pursuing a Keynesian economic policy which Corbyn would have been absolutely slated for had he been in power and done the same thing.

Give the rich £1,000 and they will save it but give the poor £1,000 and they will spend it.

No such thing as a generic Tory. Saying Boris is running the country in the same way as May or Thatcher, is as questionable as saying Corbyn would run it the same way as Blair or Wilson. Boris was more Liberal than Cameron before this started, and will be even more centrist/progressive after it's finished. Prepare for more attacks on his administration by the Torygraph. I feel this current attack, more aimed at him than a point with hindsight. He will become to right wingers, what Blair is to Old McDonald. Like Blair, while his star shines, he will be popular with the electorate and hated by either extreme. I hope unlike Blair, his wife to be, won't be a criminal, and he won't lead us to war for nothing more an exciting chapter in his autobiography and a few more million quid on the after-dinner circuit when he's finished.

This situation is unprecedented. The PM and his team are feeling their way, trying to use the best advice available from the academic community. Some of it will be proved wrong. However, at least he's trying -rather than just scoring points for future elections like the disgraceful fools in the Corbyn camp. From Party Chairs to Wrong-Daily; people losing their livelihood and indeed their lives, are seen as nothing but political opportunities for them - they just can't help themselves. People are always nothing but "Logs" for the communist ideologist, they always will be. I hope the country remembers that, when/if this episode is confined to history, but sadly we have short memories.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:12 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... spartandhp

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:21 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/why-is-germanys-coronavirus-death-rate-so-low/ar-BB11VBm5?ocid=spartandhp

Germany's culture is also entirely different to the Latin states. No great outbursts of kissing, and no huge family gatherings on a weekly, and sometimes daily basis. The testing proving crucial for sure, South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong proving the point, but it's not everything as this article is suggesting. Italy has a huge Chinese work force ( as apposed to the German's Turkish similar/equivalent ). If you believe, as many respected scientists now do, that this virus has been in the community world-wide for some time, of all the countries in Europe, Italy would be the prime breeding ground. Spain has similar cultural activities, and without the large Chinese work force, was slower off the mark. Once this thing mutated and got a grip, they soon caught up.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/why-is-germanys-coronavirus-death-rate-so-low/ar-BB11VBm5?ocid=spartandhp

I wonder how many of their kits have they distributed to their poorer EU brothers ?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

I wonder how many of their kits have they distributed to their poorer EU brothers ?

Most likely none, as I reckon that any country will keep it's kits for themselves first and if any spare ( doubtful indeed really) then they might help some other place out. A friend has said that in reporting deaths of Corona, the Germans are registering deaths of people with underlying health issues as that only and not directly from Corona. Not sure how true that may be but everything is up in the air I suppose. How totally honest are all Governments / Heath Services in this? Governments lie a lot more I would think for varying reasons, the health services are presumably much more honest and believable.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

No such thing as a generic Tory. Saying Boris is running the country in the same way as May or Thatcher, is as questionable as saying Corbyn would run it the same way as Blair or Wilson. Boris was more Liberal than Cameron before this started, and will be even more centrist/progressive after it's finished. Prepare for more attacks on his administration by the Torygraph. I feel this current attack, more aimed at him than a point with hindsight. He will become to right wingers, what Blair is to Old McDonald. Like Blair, while his star shines, he will be popular with the electorate and hated by either extreme. I hope unlike Blair, his wife to be, won't be a criminal, and he won't lead us to war for nothing more an exciting chapter in his autobiography and a few more million quid on the after-dinner circuit when he's finished.

This situation is unprecedented. The PM and his team are feeling their way, trying to use the best advice available from the academic community. Some of it will be proved wrong. However, at least he's trying -rather than just scoring points for future elections like the disgraceful fools in the Corbyn camp. From Party Chairs to Wrong-Daily; people losing their livelihood and indeed their lives, are seen as nothing but political opportunities for them - they just can't help themselves. People are always nothing but "Logs" for the communist ideologist, they always will be. I hope the country remembers that, when/if this episode is confined to history, but sadly we have short memories.

The “Corbyn camp” are an irrelevance.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:35 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
suiging wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Most likely none, as I reckon that any country will keep it's kits for themselves first and if any spare ( doubtful indeed really) then they might help some other place out. A friend has said that in reporting deaths of Corona, the Germans are registering deaths of people with underlying health issues as that only and not directly from Corona. Not sure how true that may be but everything is up in the air I suppose. How totally honest are all Governments / Heath Services in this? Governments lie a lot more I would think for varying reasons, the health services are presumably much more honest and believable.

it is indeed - literally

On a more serious note - yes I think the reporting is not altogether consistent across countries.

Also I understand that deaths from the virus in care/old people homes are not reported in the statistics , only those deaths in hospital are counted.

Now this may be because they can only categorically have coronovirus as causation if its medically proven in hospital, however from whats been seen in both Italy and Spain these homes have been hit hard and no statistics have been forthcoming.

The carers in these home are not afforded either the same PPE protection ,stringent access controls nor the same status as NHS staff...the outcome is therefore not surprising.

It is now starting to happen in this country -dissgraceful.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

When we get through this, and we will, Boris will become Sir Boris.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thousands of non playing staff at football clubs are being furloughed or laid off yet the silence from those other staff earning millions of pounds a year is deafening.

They may live to regret it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand