Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: Corona
 Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
See the BBC are showing Weston-Super-Mare , and how social distancing is being observed , showing the beach almost empty - now saying how beautiful it is etc. in the sun.

Expect every man and his dog to fall on it en mass now- I hope they cleared this report with the local council first

What was the point of the article- what did you hope to achieve with this for the greater good.

Or was it just so you can go back next week and have a story about how social distancing is being ignored , the givernment has lost control & doesn't know what its doing.

Well done the BBC. :roll:

edited to add - This was posted before I saw this - yes Boris you can count on us ...come and see the British Common sense coming to the fore ...Jesus Christ.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

Perhaps it's a commentary on the quality of Weston from the good old discerning sensible British public who preferred to move on to Devon instead. I wouldn't be able to go to most of these places now - I can't go longer than about 2 hours without a desperate need for a toilet and how do you wash your hands if you have a slash in the bushes. Stay alert - remain at home as much as possible, glad Boris is happy that people are listening.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

At risk of being unsavoury, i have never quite understood this obsession with washing hands after a pee. IF you washed your JT and then put on a clean pair of Y-fronts, what 'germs' are on your hands post-pee? If anything, they are more hygienic, since if ay urine gets on them, well that's good ain'tit? urine is highly purified and ultrafiltered blood. It is just water, a few salts and a bit of urea dissolved. Urine can even be used as a mild disinfectant....

But now I hear you say: "Well after this pandemic is over I STILL ain't shakin hands with Silver!"....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Treason! Treason! :lol: I nearly made the same argument with KK a couple of months ago when he complained about people not washing hands after holding dicks but I decided I was just being awkward.

Yes you are correct but the point I was really making was that why are people crowding to places where there are no amenities even when they are asked not to? Is this the herd instinct to create the immunity?

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am 
Manager
Manager

https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the ... TWMHR_HJj4

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the-big-numbers-now/?fbclid=IwAR3uQ3T7dP8do1jgIPxioNrvD7mAzcB6atS6hrgCVCIE2X3VjTWMHR_HJj4

:smt023 got my vote, but inevitably steeped again in hindsight. Making history is different from learning from it.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
suiging wrote:
https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the-big-numbers-now/?fbclid=IwAR3uQ3T7dP8do1jgIPxioNrvD7mAzcB6atS6hrgCVCIE2X3VjTWMHR_HJj4

:smt023 got my vote, but inevitably steeped again in hindsight. Making history is different from learning from it.

Wise words

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

A very interesting and enlightening read that was. Food for thought and also "wise after the event". But the event is still with us and we keep on getting around 3000 a day newly infected cases despite lockdown..so why are we not seeing this number dropping downwards?? I suspect that we did not close down our borders at airports and seaports and also that our population is not as serious or disciplined as the South Koreans and Germans..who knows?

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
A very interesting and enlightening read that was. Food for thought and also "wise after the event". But the event is still with us and we keep on getting around 3000 a day newly infected cases despite lockdown..so why are we not seeing this number dropping downwards?? I suspect that we did not close down our borders at airports and seaports and also that our population is not as serious or disciplined as the South Koreans and Germans..who knows?

If you accept the authors ideas, it is still spreading throughout hospitals and care homes when an individual with it is admitted or resident in either. But the numbers catching it seem to be having less severe symptoms over time. Interesting little bleeder init

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Let's all go out and have a full contact party. Nothing to worry about. :lol:

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

Plenty to worry about for those that are over an age or with underlying issues. I'm simply not buying into hysteria. A strain of the 68 flu infected 300,000 ( edited to add article said capital, probably meant country ? Don't know) in the Swedish capital and headlines in their paper said Swedes are having to learn to walk again as tram drivers struck down with it, meant an end of sorts to the service. Brittanica says up to 4 million world-wide died, other experts put it at a million, I'm just lost as who to believe? Imperial, the government's first learned expert's, said 500,000 could be dead by now. other epidemiologists, not listened to, said this was a nasty respiratory track virus, which would burn itself out in 2-3 months as all other such things had done before. The much hysteria making second wave happened with one of them, Spanish Flu, it didn't really happen with the rest, albeit some now think Swine Flu was a reinvention of Asian flu. A lady in today's Shropshire Star was told her operation to remove a lump which occurred post operation for skin cancer was indefinitely delayed due to Covid. Her MP got involved as the woman was scared to death with the delay and last week had life saving lymph node surgery in Birmingham. She, like I'm afraid many will/would have died without it. Covid would not have been on her death certificate. And yet Covid measures would have certainly been the cause. Hysteria over the first wave, and sky falling hysteria for some time to come over a second wave sure to come as experts like Imperial say it will, will kill many. How many, and will that figure make this all worthwhile, who knows? Are you ready to say Sweden got this wrong LONG TERM ? I wish I had that certainty.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am 
Manager
Manager

Swedish death rate per millions is currently top ten in the world.
Sweden could show that no lockdown has caused more deaths- compared to its Baltic neighbours.
France introduced a lockdown on 17th March and their largest deaths appeared into middle of April.
The virus undoubtedly passes from person to person so I fail to see how Lockdown could have possibly failed to stem deaths-which was the whole point- Unless the author was advocating earlier introduction of lockdown- I don't think so.
Just because the virus apparently impacts the elderly and those with health conditions at a higher rate than others should not mean those poeple are ignored.
Comparing influenze deaths with no lockdown to Covid-19 with a lockdown is quuite simply pointless- unless again you believe the virus is not spread person to person.

I find the article filled with hindsight , heresay & weighted opinions written by someone who 'works with data'- yeah that qualifies his opinion.

However:
I said a couple of weeks ago that Englands lockdown shoudu be eased dependent on the virus in a particular area & not across the whole country- I still believe that had to be the way to go.

I don't quite understand the furure about the trace app and its technical implementation. Well I do but I dont understand the groundswell of opinion on something they know very little about.

I don't understand the tie in of the trace app to a return to school for a limited number of school children.
Surely you KNOW who you came into contact with at school so theres absolutely no need for a trace app to be tied into a return to that environment.

I wonder how many of the parents dictating on social media that their little angles are not going to be sent back to school under ANY circumstances until the virus is complete wiped out went on a nice little jolly to the beaches last weekend.
Looking at the pictures I would say plenty did ,typical British attutude - fucking hypocrites.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:

Plenty to worry about for those that are over an age or with underlying issues.

For the sake of clarity I was being a tad facetious having read the very one sided and unbalanced article. The fact that someone "works with data" qualifies them well for manipulating it to suit their own opinions.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:

Plenty to worry about for those that are over an age or with underlying issues.

For the sake of clarity :( I was being a tad facetious having read the very one sided and unbalanced article. The fact that someone "works with data" qualifies them well for manipulating it to suit their own opinions.

Oh...…..and I was ready to Parrteeee! I`ll have too console myself with a trip to the seaside, dip my toes in the sea and have a 99. Queue for the chip shop/toilet and have a moan about how it`s bloody worse than being in Tesco.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lockdown works. It has helped Sweden's neighbours. In five years time will the numbers killed by missing cancer/heart appointments or simply via poverty balance out the butcher's bill? We'll see.

Edited to add, this is all a bit like Brexit. Everyone is adamant they are right. I'm simply admitting I don't know. Who does? Oxford? Imperial?

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

There is only one certainty that we all, amateurs, experts alike know 100% . It is a killer.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
There is only one certainty that we all, amateurs, experts alike know 100% . It is a killer.

SARS was more deadly (apparently). I lived in Hong Kong through that one. A measured response worked there. I suppose that is one of the reasons I find UK hysteria more puzzling.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:47 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
Edited to add, this is all a bit like Brexit. Everyone is adamant they are right. I'm simply admitting I don't know. Who does? Oxford? Imperial?

Trump - he says so. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

1. Cummings is a smary c**t .
2. Johnson is an idiot.

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
2. Johnson is an idiot.

The Rasputin of our times

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Imagine the conversation...…

"Hello boss, I need a few resources to arrest loads of people who are publicly and recklessly flouting the lockdown laws and putting themselves and others at risk"

"Of course, you have my permission to lock these individuals up, in fact I will come with you myself and get the press department and our media crew to follow us and record the process, it will be a good story for our reputation"

"Sound, cheers boss"

"By the way Rozza who are these people you intend locking up"

"Yes boss, it is those crowds of cameramen and women who are currently amassing outside the house of Dominic Cummings and publicly hounding him up and down the street"

"gulp"

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 am 
Manager
Manager

How Boris can defend Cummings after this is unforgivable and will cost him shedloads of support in the longer term, people will not forget this. If he does not dismiss him, or Cummings himself resign, as did the SNP woman a few weeks back, then the public will ignore all Government advice and rulings and do what they jolly well like. As the Sex Pistols song goes: Anarchy in the UK....

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:38 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
How Boris can defend Cummings after this is unforgivable and will cost him shedloads of support in the longer term, people will not forget this. If he does not dismiss him, or Cummings himself resign, as did the SNP woman a few weeks back, then the public will ignore all Government advice and rulings and do what they jolly well like. As the Sex Pistols song goes: Anarchy in the UK....

Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell should lead an enquiry. They'd get to the truth !!!

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
2. Johnson is an idiot.

The Rasputin of our times

I doubt he's the "UK's Greatest love machine"

(although thinking about it Johnson could be...)

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell should lead an enquiry. They'd get to the truth !!!

Off topic a bit but..talking of those two awful people, have you ever read the book: "An Inconvenient Death" by Miles Goslett about the death of Dr David Kelly..? Highly recommended.

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:17 pm 

DC is a very unpleasant man.

This story will not go away. Why? Because no matter how reasonable his actions might be (in his mind) - and he does NOT have a 'normal' working life - the press (and public?) cannot forgive the fact that:
- he comes from a reasonably privileged background
- he married a very wealthy woman
- he had options that few 'common' people have
- he exercised one of those options.

Quite simply, although he did not say it, we are operating in a world that displays the ugliness of ENVY. The mad Sky woman in particular just wants him to say "Sorry folks, but I simply have more money than you lot, so can do things that most of you can't".

The media jackals will not rest until he is hounded out.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
DC is a very unpleasant man.

This story will not go away. Why? Because no matter how reasonable his actions might be (in his mind) - and he does NOT have a 'normal' working life - the press (and public?) cannot forgive the fact that:
- he comes from a reasonably privileged background
- he married a very wealthy woman
- he had options that few 'common' people have
- he exercised one of those options.

Quite simply, although he did not say it, we are operating in a world that displays the ugliness of ENVY. The mad Sky woman in particular just wants him to say "Sorry folks, but I simply have more money than you lot, so can do things that most of you can't".

The media jackals will not rest until he is hounded out.

I didn't know any of those thimgs about him tbh - I'm certainly not envious of him.
I do however get the impression he thinks he is far cleverer than anyone else- and is quite antagonistic.
For example his snide comments to journalists yesterday outside his house " get away thats not social distancing" or words to that effect were pointless and childish.

What I see in all of this is that his actions have made a difficult situation for the PM -his boss- even worse.

Johnson has enough to contend with and address without him having to try and explain away Cummings' actions.

Cummings has directly undermined the message the government & the PM has been trying to get across.

Regardless of the legal & perhaps moral , rights and wrongs of his actions it does smack of a "I'll do what I like" attitude as "I'm so valuable to the PM".

If I was Johnson I'd be fuming at that more than anything else.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am 
Manager
Manager

The luvvies contempt for the average man knows no bounds. Have any of you changed your behaviour on the back of this one man's actions? I think not, we can think for ourselves. The view that we will all run screaming into the street because one scruffy southern, bald, poof did, is laughable to say the least.

I have a mentally handicapped son. If the wife and I came to a position where someone else had to look after him, and the people we trust to do it were many miles away, would I drive to Durham ? Damn right I would, and anyone who tried to stop me would have 'difficulties'.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Unfortunately his position in the government always meant this was going to come under scrutiny- and I believe his actions & the attempt to hide them have undermined confidence in the governments response.
His response has shown why he's an 'advisor' and not a politician

Luckily its all come at 'the end' ...well the end for now - but if it there is another second spike then I thnk they would find far less people just 'cowtowed' to their requests for isolation etc.

So yes I believe its done damage to the government as has Johnsons response to a lesser degree.
Boris must really rate him.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am 
Manager
Manager

I see Huwai are 'warning the govenment"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52189281

Their tech isn't needed and other companies from more trusted countries can supply the requirements.

It will be interesting to see the decision.

What I find amazing is the Torys who are even now starting to make the case for China to be involved as 'the economy needs to recover' ..what bolocks.

Have they forgotten what the caused the hit to the economy in the first place and the associated over relience on Chinese goods this exposed.

Jesus christ do they think we are all stupid - I wonder what companies they are on the boards of, maybe they should be made to divulge all vested interests up front to the public before we start listening to em.

Fuck 'em I say- both the Chinese and the self serving supplicant MP's- its time to get out of bed before we get tied to the headboard.

Nick Timothy has the right idea , its an opportunity to readdress the balance , if they have the foresight -and the balls - to do it.

Lets see what actually happens shall we.

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

I just cannot understand how an advisor and not the PM or someone of similar standing- gets free use of the Downing Street Rose Garden to try and waffle his way out of an impossible situation that he caused. Smells to me of Boris throwing him to the wolves ( not us..:-)) and let the media savage him to death. If you or I had driven up to Durham for so long a journey, the police would have long ago stopped us, questioned us and made us turn back from whence we came. He clearly thought that he was beyond the lockdown regulations that he helped to install and deserves everything he gets, Boris would be well shot of him. And yes, "that Sky woman", Beth Rigby, what a waste of breath she is, I mute the TV when she or Nicola Surgeon appear..:-). I have long decided that we do not need these daily Corona briefings and certainly not yesterdays show trial media nonsense as they insult our intelligence, something the media and at times, the politicians, do not have an ounce of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 383 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand