Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post subject: Banks "too big to fail"
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

It is time the people of the U.K were encouraged to save again, never in my life time as it not been worth saving, and those lucky enough to have money in accounts through being careful get nothing.

Britain's biggest banks saved themselves £46bn last year because taxpayers are acting as their guarantors.

Through the cost of cheaper finance, Barclays, Lloyds, RBS, HSBC and Nationwide enjoyed a combined subsidy of £46bn in 2010.
This is because high street banks are able to borrow money at much cheaper rates than other businesses and since the global financial crisis in 2007, the UK's banks have "increased" their capital holdings four times and their liquidity five times, while we suffer.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

fooking banks dont get me starterd!!! This should be in the vent section so i can start effing n beeping!!!!! :x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:45 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

At the moment, apart from my works pension, I can't afford to save anything. Just glad we took out that ISA during the boom years. Fuel costs, ridiculous food prices, don't know how anyone can save any decent amounts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6DGs3qjRwQ

....................... Muslera

....... Puyol (c) .... Pique ...... Chielini

....................... Busquets

Alves ..... Xavi ............ Iniesta .... Criscitio

.............................. Messi
............. Michu

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I very much doubt there will be a state pension to speak of when i'm of retirement age.

Times are tough, and saving is going to be difficult for most of us. But find a way.

Best motivation- in the coming months, as we settle in for another epic winter, feel that cold and think, what can i do now to protect myself from this in 30/40 years time?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

Not sure who is writing Ed Millibands speeches at the moment, because the Labour party is not the voice of the people.
Along with those scrotes Cameron and Clegg, Milliband just dont get it.

Fuck all this claptrap about middle ground politics as the way to gain a vote.
Power to the People, lets form a Peoples party, for the people, not the blessed few.
The vast swathes of People who are unclassed by this class ridden Bullington club old boys society.
Fuck you Cameron, fuck you as well Milliband.
Power to the People, lets have a national strike,
Regards Wolfie Smith.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Labour needs to swap Millibands as soon as is possible, not having David as leader is a sad waste of a huge talent.

They need to listen to the people, and be ready to act and respond to the mass of strikes this winter.

Regards Tooting Popular Front (Cannock Branch) :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

No government, Labour, Tory or whoever, would be stupid enough to let a bank go under.

Your money is in a bank. Your bank account be it a savings, current account or whatever are legally debt (or a loan) the bank owes you. If the bank goes under, then your money is gone. Full stop. Nothing more. In the same way that if you die and have half a mortgage to pay off, your next of kin doesnt take it on. The money in your account, so in effect the money the bank has borrowed off you, is debt in the bank's name so nobody would have to pay it back if the bank went under.

Waking up with nothing, when the government could have avoided it, will make people unhappy. Losing the government popularity. Obvious but true.

The only way you would get it back, in full or in part, is if the government pays it. Which they have no obligation to at all. Considering that in this scenario they havent bailed out a bank (which has been the preferred option in the past) means, in all likelihood, they wouldnt pay the account holders any money back.

All well and good having a moan at the powers that be, but its not the fault of politicians. They just have to make the slightly less unpopular decision.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand