Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:57 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SELWolf wrote:
You had a belt made out of horse tail hairs? :shock: I never even had any trousers. I had to run around in my underwear. :oops:

Underwear!! Pfft. ...

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

String, You Was LUCKY, My Dad used to make a belt out of Horse tail hairs he found in the street and if there was a surplus he would make a whip and beat us to death - kids today don't know that they're born.

You had a belt made out of horse tail hairs? :shock: I never even had any trousers. I had to run around in my underwear. :oops:

SEL, I imagine the same happens once you've had a few cocktails :wink:

COCKTAILS?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Underwear!! Pfft. ...

Yeah, we know that your trousers were made out of a shoe box cut into a Loon Pant form. FFS. when I was a Yute, an Afghan coat was the thing Beatniks wore and now you can have the real thing, if you can catch one and skin it. :wink: :lol: I wonder, would it be called a Refugee coat nowadays! :roll:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Underwear!! Pfft. ...

Yeah, we know that your trousers were made out of a shoe box cut into a Loon Pant form. FFS. when I was a Yute, an Afghan coat was the thing Beatniks wore and now you can have the real thing, if you can catch one and skin it. :wink: :lol: I wonder, would it be called a Refugee coat nowadays! :roll:

Apparently the chap giving a sieg heil, is sporting a real Afghan coat, not quite Jimmi Hendrix...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

String, You Was LUCKY, My Dad used to make a belt out of Horse tail hairs he found in the street and if there was a surplus he would make a whip and beat us to death - kids today don't know that they're born.

SEL, I imagine the same happens once you've had a few cocktails :wink:

COCKTAILS?

Aye, that's when I wear them on my head. :oops:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

I had one of them Afghan coats...red flairs, cheesecloth shirt, red cord hat, shoulder length hair.

God...Memory Lane. :P

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
I had one of them Afghan coats...red flairs, cheesecloth shirt, red cord hat, shoulder length hair.

But Yo was a student and that was the standard fashion of the day - did you smoke some dope, have a droopy moustache and partake in wild sex parties whilst playing a guitar? :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

But Yo was a student and that was the standard fashion of the day - did you smoke some dope, have a droopy moustache and partake in wild sex parties whilst playing a guitar? :lol:

Tha' wor 'fore me student daiys an' no droopy 'tache for me. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:15 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I dare any kid today to cum hum from school to an empty house where your Mom who was on the twilight shift, had left you a cold saucepan of breast of lamb stew.
No mobiles, no instructions,no other food whatsoever in the house, just yow and your pon of stew utterly encrusted with the white fat that only lamb has until you re heat it.

Takeaways then were like Buckingham Palace, both were unobtainable and had no real meanings in my life.

Poverty of the mind was also prevalent then, where children were selected by there chances of achieving anything, there was no real emphasis on giving the thick fuckers false hopes like there is today, we all knew our place and made the best of it.
They would be churned out on the Friday to start work the following Monday in the myriad factories of the time. They knew there place and they also knew that half of their weekly wage would go to their mom for board.
We now have a generation of transient thick fuckers 'Studying' media arts, contemporary tourism, or modern humanities with absolutely no real path in life but they all have everything to hand, real poverty is a thing of the past.
The only difference today with the thick fuckers is that Mom is paying their board for them out of her wages.

BTW, I am a confirmed thick fucker so I know what I am talking about.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 am 
Manager
Manager

Good point about the ignorance afforded to the thick fuckers. When I was at Highfields, we had the Remedial Block. A stand-out portacabin classroom set-up, where these more challenged kids had to do their learning. They were all in our individual form classes, but because they were duffers, they had to go to the portacabin. I don't suppose schools have such obvious discrimination these days, but that was the 80s, and as kids, we all watched Benny Hill, as well as Grange Hill.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
I dare any kid today to cum hum from school to an empty house where your Mom who was on the twilight shift, had left you a cold saucepan of breast of lamb stew.
No mobiles, no instructions,no other food whatsoever in the house, just yow and your pon of stew utterly encrusted with the white fat that only lamb has until you re heat it.

The convenience of the mobile telephone has negated young folk having to think or work things out for themselves, first sign of a problem and straight on the mobile. I've had to wean my Wife off such actions when she can't get a key to open a door and similar things. I try to tell her that the mobile is a last resort. I went out to rescue her one time when she somehow managed to tear a chunk out of the side-wall of the Jeep tire. I showed her once how to change the wheel where the Jack is stashed and where the air pump is and said, Look, Listen and Learn as next time you're on your own as I might not be around to help you.

However, technology even beats me sometimes, I have this new Induction Hob in my apartment and came to cook some pasta and whatnot and couldn't get these digital buttons to work - after about 20 minutes of swearing and cussing, I discovered that I day av the rite PONS for it. I had one large sauce pon that would work so I tricked the fookin hob by placing the other Pons inside of it. I now have a full set of the rite Pons for a fookin Induction Hob. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:47 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Embers wrote:
Good point about the ignorance afforded to the thick fuckers. When I was at Highfields, we had the Remedial Block. A stand-out portacabin classroom set-up, where these more challenged kids had to do their learning. They were all in our individual form classes, but because they were duffers, they had to go to the portacabin. I don't suppose schools have such obvious discrimination these days, but that was the 80s, and as kids, we all watched Benny Hill, as well as Grange Hill.

Ha ha yes, that reminded me of being at Springfield Road Secondary School. There was a Portacabin where those of us who were on free school meals were asked to sit whilst the kids who paid for their scran were allowed to go in first.The kids who used to file past us knew better than to take the piss as any transgressions in the piss take department was dealt with swiftly,violently, and without remorse after dinner.

Imagine the queue of kids who would be subject to ADHD and self harm nowadays if that was allowed to persist.
Schools would be bankrupted by Lawyers Claim For Yow companies representing their plaintiffs who were horribly mentally scarred by the experience.

Poverty my arse.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Embers wrote:

Ha ha yes, that reminded me of being at Springfield Road Secondary School. There was a Portacabin where those of us who were on free school meals were asked to sit whilst the kids who paid for their scran were allowed to go in first.The kids who used to file past us knew better than to take the piss as any transgressions in the piss take department was dealt with swiftly,violently, and without remorse after dinner.

Imagine the queue of kids who would be subject to ADHD and self harm nowadays if that was allowed to persist.
Schools would be bankrupted by Lawyers Claim For Yow companies representing their plaintiffs who were horribly mentally scarred by the experience.

Poverty my arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwM9t8AFVVc

what about these poor sods? heartbreaking.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Embers wrote:

Poverty my arse.

I feel guilty now.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

whelp wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Embers wrote:

Poverty my arse.

I think my tears will never dry.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

I like it. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

The final countdown.

http://linkis.com/www.bbc.co.uk/news/iqISC

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 74048.html

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:41 am 
Manager
Manager

The duffers are running the asylum!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:07 am 
Manager
Manager

In Denmark, someone who enters the labor force at an average salary loses 86 percent of earnings to a combination of taxes and lost eligibility for welfare benefits; that number is only 37 percent in the United States. Yet the percentage of Danes between the ages of 20 and 59 with a job is 10 percentage points higher than in the United States.

In short, more people may work when countries offer public services that directly make working easier, such as subsidized care for children and the old; generous sick leave policies; and cheap and accessible transportation. If the goal is to get more people working, what’s important about a social welfare plan may be more about what the money is spent on than how much is spent.

That is the argument that Henrik Jacobsen Kleven, a professor at the London School of Economics, offers to explain the exceptional rates of participation in the work force among citizens of Sweden, Norway and his native Denmark.

If correct, it could have broad implications for how the United States might better use its social safety net to encourage Americans to work. In particular, it could mean that more direct aid to the working poor could help coax Americans into the labor force more effectively than the tax credits that have been a mainstay for compromise between Republicans and Democrats for the last generation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/upsho ... 7a2db&utm_

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:59 am 
Manager
Manager

13 September 1789. The United States Government took out its first loan. Its current debts total $18.6 trillion.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:23 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:

Should have kept them mate. You could have been a member of The Shadow Cabinet. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:25 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
13 September 1789. The United States Government took out its first loan. Its current debts total $18.6 trillion.

That's what Republicanism does for you Knocker. Now if they'd have kept The Queen...................

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

That's what Republicanism does for you Knocker. Now if they'd have kept The Queen...................

... they'd have to pay tax on it?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

chriskamara wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

... they'd have to pay tax on it?

Nooooo, far more state visits to attract tourists, and think of the economies of scale savings on flags.....

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think that parasite has about that amount stashed if we include all the art her past generations stole and have hidden away over the centuries.
That little hideous German dwarf must hide billions each year from the English tax-man.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:40 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think that parasite has about that amount stashed if we include all the art her past generations stole and have hidden away over the centuries.
That little hideous German dwarf must hide billions each year from the English tax-man.

who is this English tax man?

is it not her majesties inland revenue?

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:04 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:

who is this English tax man?

is it not her majesties inland revenue?

It is most certainly Inland, Inbound and In their Bank Accounts overseas and probably a Tenner or two in the Post Office just in case Philip wants a kebab takeaway. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

imagine a royal edition of cash in the attic - the mind truly boggles (my tiny one at least)

i was just looking at articles on the 'true' cost of the royal family, and whether tourism income exceeds the hand outs - none the wiser given the range of guesstimates, variables and what ifs

annual gas, electric, water and phone bills cost over £2m :shock:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:59 am 
Manager
Manager

As Elizabeth Windsor becomes longest reigning Queen, is the monarchy richer than ever?

Reuters suggests the royals are rolling in cash - but Republic says the money is ours

TODAY ROYALISTS are celebrating the longest reign of any British monarch in history, but for republicans the pomp and wealth of the royal circus can feel jarring in an age of austerity.

News group Reuters, after compiling research on the royal household, claimed this week that the Queen is richer than ever - and among the 20 richest individuals in the world.

However, Republic - which scrutinises the royal family and wants a democratic head of state - claims that much of the Queen’s ‘wealth’ is really public property.

Let’s look at the numbers.

£23bn of wealth or a £334m subsidy?

According to Reuters, the monarchy has nominal assets worth £22.8bn - made up of investments, royal estates and ‘treasures’.

It reaches this figure by including the Crown Estate (£11.5bn), Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall (£1.3bn), and private ‘treasure’ (over £10bn).

With the Balmoral and Sandringham estates, as well as Buckingham and Windsor palaces, the monarchy also has almost 600,000 acres of land, according to Reuters.

However, Republic chief executive Graham Smith told CommonSpace that people “need to stop conflating public assets with the private wealth of the Windsor family”, adding that the Reuters claims were “deeply misleading”.

Instead, Republic opposes what it estimates to be the £334m subsidy to the royal family provided through the Sovereign Grant, security and loss of revenue through tax avoidance.

The Crown Estates property group

The Crown Estates was, historically, administered by the British monarchy. It isn’t anymore.

Despite its title, the estate is run independently and revenue from its property holdings go to the UK Treasury in London.

The Crown Estates portfolio includes expensive buildings in central London and large lengths of the UK shoreline and seabed.

Confusion over the Crown Estates continues due to the artificial link between its revenue and money paid to the Queen. The Sovereign Grant - which subsidies the monarchy - is calculated as 15 per cent of Crown Estate revenue, although the money is not taken from the Crown Estate.

Andy Wightman, who has researched this relationship, described contradictory media reports on this issue as “a dung heap of unadulterated, fabricated crap”.

The Crown Estate is in the process of being devolved to the Scottish Government.

The Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall

Lancaster and Cornwall are two English estates, almost 100,000 acres in total size, linked to the royal family.

The Cornwall estate raises income for Charles Windsor, although it has an odd status as a land holding removed from the Crown Estates.

Republic argues that the Cornwall estate should be returned to public ownership, required to pay tax, and have its legal privileges removed.

The Lancaster Duchy raises funds for the monarch. However, Republic disputes whether this should be recognised as property of the Windsor family.

Vast private wealth in paintings and jewels?

Philip Beresford, responsible for The Sunday Times rich list, told Reuters: “The Queen's wealth is hidden in smoke and mirrors” due to a lack of transparency. It therefore makes it very difficult to identify all royal assets.

The Royal Collection includes paintings by Rembrandt, Poussin and Leonardo da Vinci. The Crown Jewels includes various expensive stones and gems, many stolen from parts of the British Empire.

The 530-carat First Star of Africa diamond alone is estimated to be worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

But Graham Smith told CommonSpace that attempts to incorporate these assets into private royal wealth were “simply wrong”.

“The bottom line is that when the monarchy goes all these assets remain with the nation. So to claim the royals or the Queen are rich is like suggesting David Cameron has climbed the property ladder because he’s been given Number 10 and Chequers,” he said.

Instead, Republic claims it's the subsidy for running the monarchy that should be the focus of republican calls for change.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2 ... -than-ever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand