Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:08 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
Are you looking after your old folk this winter, keeping them warm because they need you more than ever.

Keep checking them because if you can prevent a hospital call your doing both them and yourself a favour.

The NHS is falling apart, people will die this winter because of gross under funding, be as best prepared as possible.

http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i638 ... eytype=ref

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:58 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
Are you looking after your old folk this winter, keeping them warm because they need you more than ever.

Keep checking them because if you can prevent a hospital call your doing both them and yourself a favour.

The NHS is falling apart, people will die this winter because of gross under funding, be as best prepared as possible.

http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i638 ... eytype=ref


Thank you for reminding us Knocker.

The winter beds crisis has been an issue for years and is getting worse every year.

There was a philosophy promulgated a few years ago that hospital beds should be reduced because care in the community was a much more efficient and effective option. Many acute hospitals took the opportunity to reduce beds and save money on the back of plans for that but the corresponding increase in community spending never appeared. In fact much of it has been severely cut back as large parts of it falls under social care and is the responsibility of local councils rather than the NHS.

When you couple that with the ever increasing need for NHS services arising from medical and environmental advancements which allow people to live much longer, albeit, often with acute conditions that require attention, and the cuts in GP provision which have led more and more people to A and E services, then it is hardly surprising that the system is at breaking point.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
Casting pearls before swine Mr Back.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:14 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
I guess so.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
Rozza wrote:
Casting pearls before swine Mr Back.


Childish Trolling.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:51 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
knocker knowles wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Casting pearls before swine Mr Back.


Childish Trolling.


Not really, you get an answer to your points from a bloke who spent his whole life in the NHS that contradicts your ill informed, populace bollocks, but you will take no notice of it as usual.

No trolling, just telling.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:25 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
I guess I have to say that I wasn't exactly disagreeing with Knocker that Winter is going to be a taxing time within the NHS. More that I wanted to explain it is something that has been happening for years and isn't simply as a result of the Tory Chancellor not throwing money at it in the latest statement.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
Left back wrote:
I guess I have to say that I wasn't exactly disagreeing with Knocker that Winter is going to be a taxing time within the NHS. More that I wanted to explain it is something that has been happening for years and isn't simply as a result of the Tory Chancellor not throwing money at it in the latest statement.


I know mate, i was inelegant in putting across my view that KK will ONLY see the failings of the NHS in a political sense.
This year I spent every day of six weeks watching my father shrivel to death in a ward with more staff doing nothing than patients. Every request made was met with three different people required to do a separate part of the whole, I found the whole experience depressing, we were met by a Doctor only once in those six weeks, despite being informed by at least a dozen different staff that they would address it.
The NHS is massively inefficient because of the staff within it, not because of Tory antics. The NHS is a sacred cow in Britain which becomes political suicide if anyone chooses to address them.
My mom asked me to come to her flat this week as she is infirm, the reason, to bank her winter fuel allowance, ha ha, she dont need it but would kill you if you took it off her, another sacred cow example.
I found myself actually IN hospital for three days this year in the AMU because my lungs stopped doing what they were supposed to. Whilst laying there in a world of shit I noticed several things, the sheer numbers of different staff required to perform basically the same task, and, the sheer amount of foreign nurses and personnel particularly those from South East Asia and Eastern Europe. Without these "Immigrants" the NHS would collapse.

Not wishing to decry your efforts LB but the NHS is overcrowded in areas that mean very little to the people that the NHS was set up to cater for, management.
I should imagine that petty and needless bureaucracy proliferates to no ones real benefit in the organisation because they are embroiled in their own self fulfilment. I would wager that the people at the 'Coal face' are minuscule in comparison to the people above them setting their agendas on a non medical basis.

These inefficiencies are caused by PEOPLE, not politicians, there may well be some political aspirations in those PEOPLE but they are people nonetheless.
KK will no doubt refute this and blame the evil Tories for the current malaise in the NHS but it aint their fault, KK reminds me of the mother in the series Bread who blamed everything from unemployment to the toilet not flushing on Maggie Thatcher.

Dont get me started on those avaricious bastards who support the "Ash Cash" regime within the Doctors circles, ggrrr.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:06 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
It's hard to know where to start with responding to that. Some of your points are valid but it is difficult with generalisations. A far as there being too many managers, I take your point. Having said that, as a manager myself I was often overloaded and stressed from workload and I know many of my colleagues were/are too. There is a lot of pressure from above, including government, and this probably does lead to increasing numbers. The problem is definitely bureaucracy and the government and the EU do have a big part to play in that. Much of my (and others) time was spent on proving to organisations like the Care Quality Commission, Internal and Extenal Auditors, and other regulatory bodies that we were doing things and meeting certain standards. Without such evidence, hospitals are said to be failing so the motivation of senior management is to focus on this rather than real patient care.

Some of the more senior managers are megalomaniacs and their needs come first, some just want their pay packet but there are also many others who have genuine aspirations to make a difference to patients although it is often an uphill struggle.

Staff vary, some work exceptionally hard whilst others, as appears to be your experience, can't be arsed and it often depends on the quality of their manager as to how well they perform. There are many who feel overwhelmed by the workload pressures which are not insignificant if they do all that is required of them. The demarcation between jobs is largely historical through union rules from the past and there is some resistance to change. However, more recently there have been expansions of roles (e.g Nurses undertaking basic doctors duties.) but it is slow going.

The number of foreign staff employed is basically a supply and demand issue. A lot of that is down to the unwillingness of governments (Llabour and Tory) to invest in the appropriate number of training places to meet growing needs in the various health related professions.

Doctors are often regarded as caring types who have come in to a caring profession for the right reasons. Some of them have and care very much but my experience of doctors overall (and this is a generalisation) is that they are money grabbing bastards. I spent some years dealing with doctors and their pay and conditions of service and they are the most complaining staff group who don't miss a trick when it comes to claiming money. Consultants hold a lot of power because of their skills and experience which are not easily replaced and many hospital senior management teams have had difficulty in persuading them that they need to be managed.

I guess what I'm saying is that with over a million staff, the NHS is a reflection of society as a whole. There are good staff and bad staff who do contribute to inefficiencies in the NHS but successive governments also have a lot to answer for. The main problem is that the whole organisation is just a bureaucratic monolith which does not lend itself easily to successful change initiatives.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:51 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
Good reply LB. I reckon that you could give the NHS another trillion pounds a year and they would spend it, it is a sacred cow as I have said where no one has the will to question what the money is spent on.
In my own organisation which is on its arse, we have our Counter Terrorism Unit, they are funded without question, they get anything they want when they want it, you know why, can you Imagine ANY politician stating that they want to cut our counter terrorism budget,... sacred cows.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:04 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 4409
Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Are you looking after your old folk this winter, keeping them warm because they need you more than ever.

Keep checking them because if you can prevent a hospital call your doing both them and yourself a favour.

The NHS is falling apart, people will die this winter because of gross under funding, be as best prepared as possible.

http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i638 ... eytype=ref


Thank you for reminding us Knocker.

The winter beds crisis has been an issue for years and is getting worse every year.

There was a philosophy promulgated a few years ago that hospital beds should be reduced because care in the community was a much more efficient and effective option. Many acute hospitals took the opportunity to reduce beds and save money on the back of plans for that but the corresponding increase in community spending never appeared. In fact much of it has been severely cut back as large parts of it falls under social care and is the responsibility of local councils rather than the NHS.

When you couple that with the ever increasing need for NHS services arising from medical and environmental advancements which allow people to live much longer, albeit, often with acute conditions that require attention, and the cuts in GP provision which have led more and more people to A and E services, then it is hardly surprising that the system is at breaking point.



Yet all the media seem to focus on is the relatively small effect immigration has on the NHS.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
When I started this thread it wasn't for some political massage it was a sincere attempt of giving thought to our elderly who are vulnerable at this time of year.

We do tend to take them for granted, but as they get older they do make mistakes.

Sometimes you can call round and the central heating is not turned on just as one example. Its also a time that if they fall they could do so in a cold spot.

There are fewer beds available, there are even fewer after care services available, care homes and such for them to be released from hospital.
So if your good deeds can prevent an accident it helps relieve the load.

Last week I was in bits because we/our family nearly lost my Grand daughter who had to be rushed into the local hospital.
Her GP had wrongly diagnosed her condition and amongst other things had to undergo a 4 hour blood transfusion.
These kind of things stay with you, my daughter, her husband and family live in the number one affluent Wolverhampton post code.
Best schools, and you would expect best doctors, this one is white and female.

So dont take anything for granted with your extended family, cherish them, look out for them. I think thats the most important Christmas message.
Family and friends.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
knocker knowles wrote:
When I started this thread it wasn't for some political massage it was a sincere attempt of giving thought to our elderly who are vulnerable at this time of year.

We do tend to take them for granted, but as they get older they do make mistakes.

Sometimes you can call round and the central heating is not turned on just as one example. Its also a time that if they fall they could do so in a cold spot.

There are fewer beds available, there are even fewer after care services available, care homes and such for them to be released from hospital.
So if your good deeds can prevent an accident it helps relieve the load.

Last week I was in bits because we/our family nearly lost my Grand daughter who had to be rushed into the local hospital.
Her GP had wrongly diagnosed her condition and amongst other things had to undergo a 4 hour blood transfusion.
These kind of things stay with you, my daughter, her husband and family live in the number one affluent Wolverhampton post code.
Best schools, and you would expect best doctors, this one is white and female.

So dont take anything for granted with your extended family, cherish them, look out for them. I think thats the most important Christmas message.
Family and friends.


Best wishes to your family KK, and apologies If I misunderstood your theme.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
Same here KK.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
Thanks for your kind words, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:58 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:02 pm
Posts: 6708
Location: Telford
I assess eight people per week. It is a constant struggle to do all the paperwork. I have follow up appointments and interventions to carry out. No matter what crops up i have to do eight assessments. If someone is off sick we have to do their assessments on top of our own. We are treated like mules and other agencies/services are obsessed with carrying out "joint assessments", which takes us away from our paperwork. We have more paperwork (lets just call it that) added to the workload on a seemingly weekly basis. There is a waiting list for assessments that management want existing staff to address or the trust faces a fine. They refuse to bring in other staff on short term contracts to help reduce the waiting lists - they would rather pay a huge fine.

Meanwhile, as we slave away , stressed and anxious , the bosses spend 50K on a party , in a tent , right outside our office , to celebrate a "good" rating from the CQC. The NHS is a fucking piss take run by idiots.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
Jill Saward died today in Wolverhampton New Cross, she went to Church in Cannock, St Lukes.

Many people have a lot to thank that lady for, her tremendous courage helps save many young ladies today.

RIP.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
In any other country this disgraceful and predictable failure would lead to the fall of the government.

Three deaths at Worcestershire hospital amid NHS winter crisis

One woman reportedly died of heart attack after waiting 35 hours in corridor at ‘extremely busy’ Worcestershire Royal infirmary


https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ter-crisis

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:50 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
Things are really dreadful at the moment and getting worse and this government still feel that balancing the books is more important. However, this trend was well under way in the early 2000's when the Blair government applied the squeeze to hospital funding, developed the "private funding model" for capital development and gave away far too much to GP's leaving a much greater burden on hospitals.

It would require much more than the overthrow of the current government to put this right. I do not believe that a Corbyn government would have the ability or the financial capacity to sort things out much as I wish that they could.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:30 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 6698
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
At an appointment with my doctor late last year, I asked her what the problems with the NHS are from her angle. She said there were many issues that contribute to the current dreadful state of affairs:

Doctors retiring early as they are worn out, frustrated and under immense pressure.

Lack of young people coming in to the profession.

Lack of the required funding.

Too many health tourists / immigrants clogging up the waiting rooms.

Government saying that record sums are being invested in the NHS....not enough if true..

Too much talk abut the NHS from people not qualified to know fully what is going on and no action...


There are more, I am sure, but it is enlightening to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Government do need to spend even more than they are, that is obvious to see as things stand but I think we missed a trick some years ago when the Lottery was set up: We should have insisted that 50% of all Lottery income would be passed on into the NHS, I do not think that anyone would have complained about that now. Even raising tax by a penny per person to help it out would be a step towards improving the situation for the long term. It is the biggest time bomb our country faces both now, at the present and obviously more so in the future, who will grasp the nettle and start to either reform it or back it fully to slowly sort it out?

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 17858
Left back wrote:
Things are really dreadful at the moment and getting worse and this government still feel that balancing the books is more important. However, this trend was well under way in the early 2000's when the Blair government applied the squeeze to hospital funding, developed the "private funding model" for capital development and gave away far too much to GP's leaving a much greater burden on hospitals.

It would require much more than the overthrow of the current government to put this right. I do not believe that a Corbyn government would have the ability or the financial capacity to sort things out much as I wish that they could.


Add to those issues the massive and invisible issues regarding social care, you get a funnelling into the NHS from folk with no other available options, and a bottleneck out because the hospital then undertakes a duty of care to them and are unable to release them.
As you say, I cant see Corbyn having the intellectual or financial wherewithal to address those fundamental issues that pervade the whole of society. Bleating out the mantra of we need more funding into the NHS is ill informed bollocks. More correct would be to channel that funding into social care so that the NHS is left alone to deal with the sick.
Successive governments have selectively ignored the issue because it is just such a massive task to undertake, fund, and maintain.
This is an issue that transcends politics, the quicker each party recognises this, the quicker the issues will be addressed, innit.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:04 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
Agree Rozza. It's far easier for the government to ignore social care because they pass the responsibility to local authorities and the squeeze has been on them for some years too. I would suggest that bed blocking is a much greater problem for hospitals than, health tourism, but social care has been decimated in recent years.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
I thought under Andy Burnham Labour had a really good health minister who made good on Labours promises.
Well funded and working well NHS up until 2010.

But since then with gross manipulation and distortion of figures this government have underfunded the NHS to below 2% of the levels of France and Germany.

With similar sized countries in many respects having that 2% extra which makes all the difference.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
In actual monetary terms there is no denying that the NHS received additional funding during the Blair government. The problem with this is that most of it did not go directly towards patient care. The government focus was on:-
-Reducing waiting lists; admirable but led to a costly army of people proving that they were being reduced.
- Developing the "internal market" to increase competition thus improving efficiency. This led to hospital's becoming rivals and competing for staff and services - I know from experience that pay enhancements were being made to attract people from other hospitals. It also led to a move towards centralising services and taking them away from local communities. Including some A&E services. These never seemed to lead to a net reduction in costs they always needed more staff in the new areas (often taking the staff from more local areas who had already been paid off).
- Development of information and technology, millions were wasted on a proposed IT system which was never fit for purpose. Also, many people were employed to provide information required by the authorities and many quangos and monitoring authorities were set up expensively. Numerous government initiated restructures took place during this period all of which were very costly to implement including major pay offs to people who were then re-employed in new jobs as the new structures were developed.
- Improving GP's terms and conditions which led to better pay packages coupled with a reduction in GP out of hours work and putting more pressure on a&E services.
-Developing Private Finance Initiatives which allowed for long overdue capital development but ended up putting those who succumbed in long term debt.

In essence, the additional funding was not going to the right places and hospitals still had an annual 2.5% efficiency target imposed which meant the their annual budgets were increased by inflation LESS 2.5%. The funding dried up from about 2007/8 anyway when the economic situation took a turn for the worse. I worked in the NHS through the whole of the 1997 - 2010 Labour administration and I do not believe that they improved patient care significantly during that time. Waiting lists were indeed reduced but it meant that long standing non urgent patients began to take priority over newer more urgent cases. Of course, from a personal point of view, I gained considerably in financial terms but this did not help patients much.

KK, you often warn people not to be taken in by the biased media, well please don't let Blairspin do the same to you.

I should add that the Tories with their austerity measures have made things a whole lot worse since.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
Wolverhampton New Cross.

Yesterday.

They haven't enough room/beds for patients in need of care/operations at the moment.

So the decision was to use a Gynaecology ward for the general public.

A woman was admitted to this ward D7 8. am tuesday morning for an operation she required rather urgently.

She hadn't eaten because of the operation but by early evening had been discharged without the operation being done.

Rescheduled for Thursday, in the hope a surgeon might not be as busy as yesterday.

Its an absolute crisis but your not supposed to be told about the reality of the situation.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20182
Location: Four Oaks
I don't think there can be too many people who are not aware of this reality. Operations being cancelled because of emergencies requiring the beds has been going on for some years.

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 14928
Location: Moved
My father went to see a very good young Locum from Penn last week. He new his stuff, explained everything to Dad and was a general bit of fresh air.

Asked if he would stay on in the practice he replied " No chance. Off to Australia".

It can only get worse.

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
suiging wrote:
My father went to see a very good young Locum from Penn last week. He new his stuff, explained everything to Dad and was a general bit of fresh air.

Asked if he would stay on in the practice he replied " No chance. Off to Australia".

It can only get worse.



Care to expand a bit?

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22187
Location: Cannock.
20 NHS Hospitals have declared a "black alert". This is as bad as it gets. Yet these fuckers are in denial.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 6698
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
I fully understand and agree with most of the above points of view, only we, the people seem to realise the sheer gravity of the current NHS nightmare. Politicians just hope that things will gradually improve and the problem go away.

However, things were bad back in 2004, when my mother passed away after a stroke. She was then at a residential home and the manager phoned me at 15-00 to say that she had suffered a stroke and that he had called an ambulance. I walked there as it was only 5 minutes away and no ambulance came at all and my mother passed away in front of me at 18-00. The police arrived shortly afterwards, wanting to speak to me as : "You were the only person present at the time of death and we need to rule out any suspicious circumstances." Well, I went beserk and swore at them until I could speak no more....3 hours of waiting for an ambulance for my mother and you make me feel like a suspect. Subsequent conversations led to one policeman informing me this: " Sir, do not quote me but you are better off being glassed in a pub on a Friday or Saturday night and you will get seen at hospital straight away." After that, my view of the NHS became cloudier and I realised that then, in 2004, we could not get an ambulance out for an old lady of 77 who had had a stroke as "we were extremely busy today sir, and we just do not have enough ambulances available to cover everything."

So, despite todays dreadful situation in the NHS, A & E,s and doctors surgeries, the truth is that the NHS has been in crisis for 12 years or more now in my eyes and experiences. No Government, Tory or Labour has ever got down to the basics and tried to sort it out from the roots upwards. All spin and waffle that continues ad nauseam. I fear that the next two months will bring some horrifying experiences for us to watch on TV. God help us all.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.