Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I see that the wonderfully rhyming Mr Hunt is insisting that hospitals will get back to achieving 95% of A and E patients waiting less than 4 hours within the next year. Realistically this is an impossible target in that time scale even if a bit more money has been put into social care. Attendances in A and E keep rising and the extra doctors and the spare beds are just not there.

As it is a public government statement the pressure will be put on hospitals to achieve. It will lead to:
1. Hospitals more readily discharging patients who are not really ready to leave.
2. Dealing with less urgent patients who are approaching 4 hours ahead of more urgent patients coming in.
3. Potentially cancelling elective (non urgent) operations to leave more beds available for A and E cases thus increasing waiting list times ( a separate competing target which will now take secondary priority to the A and E target).
4. Manipulation of data and "definitions" so that people who haven't been seen within 4 hours will look as though they have (e.g. Putting people on trolleys in ante rooms instead of corridors to pretend that they are in a proper ward with all appropriate staff.)
5. Public pronouncements about those hospitals which are making improvements to demonstrate how much wonderful progress is being made towards the target and to shame those who are not able to achieve it (whatever the quality of the management and staff).

I will be very surprised if, in 12 months time, the vast majority of Hospitals are really achieving the 95% target even if the spin pretends otherwise.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Spoke to a physio today who said her waiting list was horrendous.She is sometimes seeing three patients at a time because it is that bad.People forget the paperwork involved to and is working in her own time to make sure it is done.
Some have been waiting six months to be seen and her managers answer was?Well if they can wait six months why do they need physio :mrgreen:
It's a mess.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:41 am 
Manager
Manager

Had to take someone to New Cross A and E this week for diagnosis then treatment.

Hour and a quarter wait in A and E.

Following day between three and four hours at Fracture clinic for second X Ray and Plaster.

Time actually getting anything done fifteen minutes, the rest just sitting and waiting.

The Fracture clinic is like a War Zone with a continual walk up mix of Chav and Asian customers. The reception never had less than four in the queue for over two hours.

I dont think they can cope but struggle on as best they can.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:25 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

Yes and there are many possible reasons why they cannot cope but you can bet that if a few hospitals start performing better, the ones who don't will be blamed for their poor performance whatever the underlying causes.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Yes and there are many possible reasons why they cannot cope but you can bet that if a few hospitals start performing better, the ones who don't will be blamed for their poor performance whatever the underlying causes.

isn't that the same for all public services tho ....once you have league tables accpeted as a benchmarking mechanism it opens the floodgates to the repurcussions of those performing 'below standard' without a need to look at the undeyling issues.

Hspitals and schools are both subject to this method of rating ...and we as a society are the worse for it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

isn't that the same for all public services tho ....once you have league tables accpeted as a benchmarking mechanism it opens the floodgates to the repurcussions of those performing 'below standard' without a need to look at the undeyling issues.

Hspitals and schools are both subject to this method of rating ...and we as a society are the worse for it.

Yes. I agree with that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 am 
Manager
Manager

The general public get a mixed message Phillip Hammond in his budget spoke about another 2 billion for Social Care.
But the public are not informed of the 4.6 billion cuts from social care.

Easy maths say Social care is still 2.6 billion up the creek.

The media wont hold the government accountable, not your BBC who are trying to retain their own jobs and status quo.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:23 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
The general public get a mixed message Phillip Hammond in his budget spoke about another 2 billion for Social Care.

The media wont hold the government accountable, not your BBC who are trying to retain their own jobs and status quo.

You know Knocker, you're right. The country is seeing through this government and is listening to Jeremy's message. Let's all push for a snap general election so he can ride into power with his overwhelming public support

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:13 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

You know Knocker, you're right. The country is seeing through this government and is listening to Jeremy's message. Let's all push for a snap general election so he can ride into power with his overwhelming public support

Do I detect a little sar... No, no I must be imagining things. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Do I detect a little sar... No, no I must be imagining things. :lol:

As if......... :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... e-minister

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bloody hell! If it ain't Jez it's gonna be Boris!!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 am 
Manager
Manager

The Sunday Times reports 6 SE London CCGS are planning to restrict cataract surgery to all but 'exceptional cases'
This will consign elderly patients to entirely avoidable loss of sight / disability / semi-blindness. Unless they can pay. Truly disgusting.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:05 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
The Sunday Times reports 6 SE London CCGS are planning to restrict cataract surgery to all but 'exceptional cases'
This will consign elderly patients to entirely avoidable loss of sight / disability / semi-blindness. Unless they can pay. Truly disgusting.

yep and yet others will get other non essential surgery on the NHS.
The restriction of surgery that can restore that most valuable of the senses & in essence 'free' those asffected does bring the NHS issues into sharp focus (no pun intended).

Things will only get worse ...as you say ...disgusting.....

maybe the govenment should consider ways of charging those who currently pay reduced NI a more appropriate level....oh hang on they tried that already!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:00 am 
Manager
Manager

For the first time ever, and this is such a shame. When I go to the Doctors.

I now think is this blokes decision based on helping me or does his first thought think cost saving.

It shouldn't be a nation reduced to this.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Dont go to Weston Super Mare on your holidays.

Shame good pubs.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:31 am 
Manager
Manager

30,000 excess deaths in 2015 linked to cuts in health and social care.

Researchers exploring why there has been a substantial increase in mortality in England and Wales in 2015 conclude that failures in the health and social care system linked to disinvestment are likely to be the main cause.

There were 30,000 excess deaths in 2015, representing the largest increase in deaths in the post-war period. The excess deaths, which included a large spike in January that year, were largely in the older population who are most dependent on health and social care. Reporting their analysis in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, the researchers from the University of Oxford with London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, tested four possible explanations for the January 2015 spike in mortality.

'The impact of cuts resulting from the imposition of austerity on the NHS has been profound. Expenditure has failed to keep pace with demand and the situation has been exacerbated by dramatic reductions in the welfare budget of £16.7 billion and in social care spending. With an aging population, the NHS is ever more dependent on a well-functioning social care system. The possibility that the cuts to health and social care are implicated in almost 30,000 excess deaths is one that needs further exploration. Given the relentless nature of the cuts, and potential link to rising mortality, we ask why is the search for a cause not being pursued with more urgency?'

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-02-20-300 ... cial-care#

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
30,000 excess deaths in 2015 linked to cuts in health and social care.

Researchers exploring why there has been a substantial increase in mortality in England and Wales in 2015 conclude that failures in the health and social care system linked to disinvestment are likely to be the main cause.

There were 30,000 excess deaths in 2015, representing the largest increase in deaths in the post-war period. The excess deaths, which included a large spike in January that year, were largely in the older population who are most dependent on health and social care. Reporting their analysis in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, the researchers from the University of Oxford with London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, tested four possible explanations for the January 2015 spike in mortality.

'The impact of cuts resulting from the imposition of austerity on the NHS has been profound. Expenditure has failed to keep pace with demand and the situation has been exacerbated by dramatic reductions in the welfare budget of £16.7 billion and in social care spending. With an aging population, the NHS is ever more dependent on a well-functioning social care system. The possibility that the cuts to health and social care are implicated in almost 30,000 excess deaths is one that needs further exploration. Given the relentless nature of the cuts, and potential link to rising mortality, we ask why is the search for a cause not being pursued with more urgency?'

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-02-20-300 ... cial-care#

Whilst I personally believe that cuts have contributed to deaths in the NHS I think we have to be careful about the conclusions here. It seems to me that they are saying it is an implication and that there is no statistically proven link. I am presuming that the 30k is the number of extra deaths compared with the previous year. Are there any comparisons on the population by age for each year? Certainly a cause for further investigation but at this stage that is all.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Were in ever involved in the build of hospitals Left Back, types of cladding or was that more specific to other people and sub contractors?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:36 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Were in ever involved in the build of hospitals Left Back, types of cladding or was that more specific to other people and sub contractors?

I have never been involved with building services but I a aware that any contract of significant value would have to go out to tender by external organisations.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I have never been involved with building services but I a aware that any contract of significant value would have to go out to tender by external organisations.

How often would a tender of the highest price gain the vote?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

How often would a tender of the highest price gain the vote?

I don't have enough experience to say. Obviously the lowest price is a big consideration but there are many aspects (quality control, company reputation, history of similar projects etc) which have to be taken into account and factored into the overall decision. It is effectively a due diligence process as well.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:54 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Did anyopne see the comment from Hunt regards all those patient files that 'got lost' in a warehouse?...

"It doesnt appear anyone has died as a result"!!!

wells thats just fine then Mr C....dont worry about the implications of this ...just brush it under the carpet with a blase comment that is no justification whatsoever for this admistrative failure....

The bloke is a complete liabilty ...with his attitude things will only get worse for the NHS.

The sooner they get shot of him the better ...I wont be holding my breath.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
Did anyopne see the comment from Hunt regards all those patient files that 'got lost' in a warehouse?...

"It doesnt appear anyone has died as a result"!!!

wells thats just fine then Mr C....dont worry about the implications of this ...just brush it under the carpet with a blase comment that is no justification whatsoever for this admistrative failure....

The bloke is a complete liabilty ...with his attitude things will only get worse for the NHS.

The sooner they get shot of him the better ...I wont be holding my breath.

That bloke lives up to his rhyming slang name every time he opens his mouth.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Can anyone remember a more hated front bench cabinet minister in the history of English politics.

This guy will gain even more vitriol when the general public cotton on to how much of the NHS he is selling off to the private sector.

Talk about a clash of interests, its a national scandal.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 am 
Manager
Manager

Even the BBC cant keep quiet any longer as the Doctors and Nurses by the day warn the nation of the NHS falling completely apart this winter.

Meanwhile the Tory government are disingenuous with their response.

Stating there is more money year on year going into the NHS.

Whats happening is about a half per cent increase per year.

Problem is it takes four per cent to stand still.

I hope you dont halve elderly relatives requiring hospital this winter.

Thats what Tory voters do for society, they think self rather than the greater good.

Can you not see as a Tory voter that that vote kills people.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/ka ... of-our-nhs

Interesting. Both as guilty as each other.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:42 am 
Manager
Manager

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... e-NHS.html

Oooops

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:43 am 
Manager
Manager

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/p ... 73897.html

How truth can be interpreted

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:45 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2 ... ust-fix-it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand