Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Well the PM's plan to inject money into the NHS is pretty clear. Corbyn's response hilarious, like a spoilt school boy, which I suppose he is.

Does anyone disagree with this spending ?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:14 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Well the PM's plan to inject money into the NHS is pretty clear. Corbyn's response hilarious, like a spoilt school boy, which I suppose he is.

Five times Johnson said this was New money.

Five times the Nuffield trust said it wasn't.

Who would you trust to tell the truth.

A clue, not the blonde geezer.

On Channel 4 news.

Tory MP Chris Skidmore did in fact back down on the Johnson pledge, revealing it was in fact money saved by hospitals.. NOT NEW MONEY.

It comes from cash surpluses that had been saved by NHS trusts, which had already planned to spend the funds on vital maintenance and repairs — but had been blocked from doing so by the Treasury. This block has now been lifted by Mr Johnson but health experts said that it could not reasonably be classified as new money.

How are the BBC spinning this?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:

Five times Johnson said this was New money.

Five times the Nuffield trust said it wasn't.

Who would you trust to tell the truth.

A clue, not the blonde geezer.

On Channel 4 news.

Tory MP Chris Skidmore did in fact back down on the Johnson pledge, revealing it was in fact money saved by hospitals.. NOT NEW MONEY.

It comes from cash surpluses that had been saved by NHS trusts, which had already planned to spend the funds on vital maintenance and repairs — but had been blocked from doing so by the Treasury. This block has now been lifted by Mr Johnson but health experts said that it could not reasonably be classified as new money.

So Boris has freed up the money ? What a good man.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

Exactly as it is of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49230461

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 am 
Manager
Manager

What did Hunt do to the NHS – and how has he got away with it?

There are two stories about Jeremy Hunt. The nice, sensible guy whose only mistake was upsetting the junior doctors. And then, there’s the real story.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ournhs ... y-with-it/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

There are two stories about Jeremy Hunt. The nice, sensible guy whose only mistake was upsetting the junior doctors. And then, there’s the real story.

Wow. Caroline Molloy has really worked hard to find things to throw at Hunt as she does with NHS and this government. Although Open Democracy claims to be independent, she is heavily involved with the Guardian and we know where their sympathies lie. I have no truck with Hunt (I come to bury him not praise him) and I am aware that he made life difficult for NHS organisations throughout his tenure, setting impossible targets and upsetting doctors and nurses along the way. However, some of the things attributed to him in the article were not really his (e.g Doctors contracts were Labour and the 2012 Health and Social care Act was simply the culmination of previous Labour proposals.).

Whilst Hunt and the Tories have squeezed the NHS over the last 8 years I am not convinced that Labour would have done any better over the time as the money in the economy had run out, the previous labour government had developed private sector initiatives in the NHS at least as much as the Tories have done, the doctors contract agreed under Labour has created increasing pressure on A and E departments over the last decade, and the continually ageing population has significantly increased the pressure on NHS services during Hunt's tenure.

The point I want to make is that this sort of article is the same as the type against Corbyn which KK always rages against as scare mongering and lies but won't accept that others do the same to Tories even though he is happy to point to this article now.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Wow. Caroline Molloy has really worked hard to find things to throw at Hunt as she does with NHS and this government. Although Open Democracy claims to be independent, she is heavily involved with the Guardian and we know where their sympathies lie. I have no truck with Hunt (I come to bury him not praise him) and I am aware that he made life difficult for NHS organisations throughout his tenure, setting impossible targets and upsetting doctors and nurses along the way. However, some of the things attributed to him in the article were not really his (e.g Doctors contracts were Labour and the 2012 Health and Social care Act was simply the culmination of previous Labour proposals.).

Whilst Hunt and the Tories have squeezed the NHS over the last 8 years I am not convinced that Labour would have done any better over the time as the money in the economy had run out, the previous labour government had developed private sector initiatives in the NHS at least as much as the Tories have done, the doctors contract agreed under Labour has created increasing pressure on A and E departments over the last decade, and the continually ageing population has significantly increased the pressure on NHS services during Hunt's tenure.

The point I want to make is that this sort of article is the same as the type against Corbyn which KK always rages against as scare mongering and lies but won't accept that others do the same to Tories even though he is happy to point to this article now.

Labour left the Treasury with nothing but cobwebs. It's spent the years in opposition, blaming the Tories for trying to run the country under that constraint. Blair flooded the country with migrants with the resultant pressures on education , health and housing. He led the country through lies to war, while at the same time instigating investigations, many times over, against the very soldiers he sent criminally to their death's. Where are the articles in open democracy on these issues ?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Labour left the Treasury with nothing but cobwebs. It's spent the years in opposition, blaming the Tories for trying to run the country under that constraint. Blair flooded the country with migrants with the resultant pressures on education , health and housing. He led the country through lies to war, while at the same time instigating investigations, many times over, against the very soldiers he sent criminally to their death's. Where are the articles in open democracy on these issues ?

The reality is the Tories through previous decades had run down what was a balanced UK economy, leaving aside a deregulated Banking/finance industry.
Labour under Blair/Brown required money through taxation to rebuild the front line services which had been run down and underfunded.
They gained from this deregulated industry because there was very little else to draw from.
Could they have regulated that industry better before its collapse, maybe, but the Tories consistently supported an unregulated finance system.
If the arse hadn't fell out of the market during Labours tenure it certainly would have post 2010.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
The reality is the Tories through previous decades had run down what was a balanced UK economy, leaving aside a deregulated Banking/finance industry.
Labour under Blair/Brown required money through taxation to rebuild the front line services which had been run down and underfunded.
They gained from this deregulated industry because there was very little else to draw from.
Could they have regulated that industry better before its collapse, maybe, but the Tories consistently supported an unregulated finance system.
If the arse hadn't fell out of the market during Labours tenure it certainly would have post 2010.

Your comments are opinion rather than proven reality. You defend Labour because there was little else to draw from and yet you decry the Tory austerity policies even though they felt there was little else to draw from.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Amendment F to protect the NHS from future trade deals.

Ayes - 282
Noes - 310

The acid test, how they vote.

Only ONE party you can trust when it comes to front line services.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Amendment F to protect the NHS from future trade deals.

Ayes - 282
Noes - 310

The acid test, how they vote.

Only ONE party you can trust when it comes to front line services.

The Lib Dems?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:46 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Unless the NHS starts opening factories making bandages and glassware and disinfectant and drugs and.... then I suspect it will ALWAYS be accused of 'having been privatised by those nasty conservatives'?

Or does everything the NHS needs grow on trees in the wild just waiting to be harvested for free?

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:32 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Unless the NHS starts opening factories making bandages and glassware and disinfectant and drugs and.... then I suspect it will ALWAYS be accused of 'having been privatised by those nasty conservatives'?

Or does everything the NHS needs grow on trees in the wild just waiting to be harvested for free?

Sadly trying to point out the world has changed since the 1970s is an up hill struggle.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

I thought it was a fine effort by Jeremy Corbyn helping to get that drug available within the NHS this week.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Tory MP Damian Green suggests ‘insurance system’ to fund social care.

That didn't take long.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Tory MP Damian Green suggests ‘insurance system’ to fund social care.

That didn't take long.

But that is not the NHS is it. If Labour had won and said that they were going to increase NI rates to pay for social care would you be complaining?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Late last year, I put myself up as an NHS volunteer, offering to give, free of charge, my time for a number of hours a week or also a given day per week. A year on, I have not had my offer taken up locally, maybe there are enough OAP helpers, like me, already in voluntary status workplaces in hospitals, doctors surgeries etc but if things are desperate still, which obviously they are, I stay ready to jump in and help wherever needed, just relieving the pressure on permanent staff at hospitals and surgeries can only be of total benefit ?? I accept the a certain level of training would be required for the posts but if they need cleaners, gophers, welcomers etc, as an ex retail manager I am well used to such tasks and ready to muck in. I want to give back to something that gave me a lot in my lifetime. Free help from the right people can help the chain, however small it is, every little helps, as Tesco say. It is sometimes not all about budgets and costings and money thrown at something, voluntary help sometimes is priceless.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:48 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Late last year, I put myself up as an NHS volunteer, offering to give, free of charge, my time for a number of hours a week or also a given day per week. A year on, I have not had my offer taken up locally, maybe there are enough OAP helpers, like me, already in voluntary status workplaces in hospitals, doctors surgeries etc but if things are desperate still, which obviously they are, I stay ready to jump in and help wherever needed, just relieving the pressure on permanent staff at hospitals and surgeries can only be of total benefit ?? I accept the a certain level of training would be required for the posts but if they need cleaners, gophers, welcomers etc, as an ex retail manager I am well used to such tasks and ready to muck in. I want to give back to something that gave me a lot in my lifetime. Free help from the right people can help the chain, however small it is, every little helps, as Tesco say. It is sometimes not all about budgets and costings and money thrown at something, voluntary help sometimes is priceless.

Just on that point about volunteers, there are far more support workers doing the basic nursing duties within the wards than previously.
Now you can look at that in various ways, how about less skilled, less pay in that sector.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

gladbachwolf wrote:

It's sad to hear this. Even if they have more volunteers than they can handle they should at least be letting you know and keeping you informed about their plans for volunteers. Most hospital Trust have a volunteer services co-ordinator and if you want to take it further you should ask to speak to that person personally. I hope they take you up on your offer. They will of course need to complete a DBS check and other admin.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Just on that point about volunteers, there are far more support workers doing the basic nursing duties within the wards than previously.
Now you can look at that in various ways, how about less skilled, less pay in that sector.

That would be your first way of looking at it of course but it is more complex than that. Qualified Nurses nowadays have to complete a degree and they don't really want to spend their time on basic stuff which can easily be completed by those with lesser qualifications and training. (note that Nursing began to require Degree qualification in 2009 under a Labour Government and this meant that many good caring potential Nurses became excluded because they could not meet the academic requirements - Think of the old enrolled nurses). Many support workers who are not academically proficient to become qualified Nurses can enjoy a career up to the level of their competence and there are several grades available depending on qualifications and experience. It is far more about horses for courses and not paying more expensive Nurses to complete basic work that they don't really want to do anyway. Your comment smacks of the old union style protective practices.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

It's sad to hear this. Even if they have more volunteers than they can handle they should at least be letting you know and keeping you informed about their plans for volunteers. Most hospital Trust have a volunteer services co-ordinator and if you want to take it further you should ask to speak to that person personally. I hope they take you up on your offer. They will of course need to complete a DBS check and other admin.

My application was to Helpforce, initiated by a Daily Mail appeal and I have my badge and many e-mails sent to me over the last year but there is nothing needed here in Swindon apparently, so I just wait and see if I will ever get a request to call in for an interview etc. I'll sweep floors, empty rubbish bins, clean the toilets etc, be a gopher with papers, push trolleys, be a greeter, whatever, every little can help.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Branson's Virgin Healthcare has been awarded £2b worth of NHS contracts. In 10 years it hasn't paid a penny of corporation tax. It is ultimately controlled by a firm registered in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:10 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Branson's Virgin Healthcare has been awarded £2b worth of NHS contracts. In 10 years it hasn't paid a penny of corporation tax. It is ultimately controlled by a firm registered in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands

This seems to have been taken from a Guardian article written in 2018 and they refer to £2b over the previous 5 years. Not sure why you raise it now. The article refers to no corporation tax being paid in the previous 2 years so I am not clear how you have extended it to 10. I don't really wish to defend a company like Virgin who do try to avoid tax and who explained that the relevant subsidiaries are loss making at present as they have large set up costs but you really don't help your case by providing misleading information.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

This seems to have been taken from a Guardian article written in 2018 and they refer to £2b over the previous 5 years. Not sure why you raise it now. The article refers to no corporation tax being paid in the previous 2 years so I am not clear how you have extended it to 10. I don't really wish to defend a company like Virgin who do try to avoid tax and who explained that the relevant subsidiaries are loss making at present as they have large set up costs but you really don't help your case by providing misleading information.

Yeah don't defend Branson. ..tbh the epitomy of where capitalism fails for me...self man man,don't make me larff, greedy slimey tw@t

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 am 
Tech-Head
Tech-Head

knocker knowles wrote:
Are you looking after your old folk this winter, keeping them warm because they need you more than ever.

Keep checking them because if you can prevent a hospital call your doing both them and yourself a favour.

The NHS is falling apart, people will die this winter because of gross under funding, be as best prepared as possible.

http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i638 ... eytype=ref

It's early but how is post Brexshit England looking so far?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

saint paddy wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Are you looking after your old folk this winter, keeping them warm because they need you more than ever.

Keep checking them because if you can prevent a hospital call your doing both them and yourself a favour.

The NHS is falling apart, people will die this winter because of gross under funding, be as best prepared as possible.

Well I did see a neighbour's car parked on the drive with a union flag attached to it.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Walking through Swindon town centre yesterday afternoon, I walked past a group of six to eight blokes draped in Union Jacks, ringing bells, yelling and carrying banners stating" "we're free." Yawn, belch, fart.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:21 pm 

gladbachwolf wrote:
Walking through Swindon town centre yesterday afternoon, I walked past a group of six to eight blokes draped in Union Jacks, ringing bells, yelling and carrying banners stating" "we're free." Yawn, belch, fart.

Had they just escaped from the local nick?

As someone who voted to leave, I find it utterly idiotic the performance of some over the weekend. hopefully they will crawl back under rocks and let the real world get on with negotiating a deal that will benefit the country.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:25 am 
Manager
Manager

saint paddy wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The slight geographical error aside ...it's looking fantastic , thanks for asking.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

One of Jeremy Hunts main excuses for the long waiting list in the NHS was that people were living longer

today it’s been proven life expectancy as gone down over the last 10 Tory years..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand