Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21492
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
]
With an establishment media looking to give them every platform available to them the opportunity to do so.
Look no further than those idiots in Dudley and West Bromwich. SELL OUTS BOTH OF THEM.


You haven't given any meaningful evidence to support this to date. It mostly seems to be between your ears.

Interesting that any Labour MP who is not in full agreement with your views is a sell out.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:21 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
]
With an establishment media looking to give them every platform available to them the opportunity to do so.
Look no further than those idiots in Dudley and West Bromwich. SELL OUTS BOTH OF THEM.


You haven't given any meaningful evidence to support this to date. It mostly seems to be between your ears.

Interesting that any Labour MP who is not in full agreement with your views is a sell out.


Angela Rayner turning in Corbyn now. Is she a sell out KK ? Who is left in the party to take it forward with Corbynism ? Wrong-Daily with a cabinet staffed by Abbott and Butler ?

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9648
Location: The Cotswolds
With Dianne Abbott announcing she will not stand for next shadow cabinet (as if they'd have her!) seems to indicate she has given up on her choice - Wrong-Daily - having any chance of success!

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:32 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
Imagine what would have happened if Thatcher and her successors had not squandered the proceeds of North Sea oil on tax cuts for the wealthy but had instead invested them for the good of the whole country?

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
knocker knowles wrote:
Imagine what would have happened if Thatcher and her successors had not squandered the proceeds of North Sea oil on tax cuts for the wealthy but had instead invested them for the good of the whole country?


Imagine if there would have been anything left in the Treasury after the last Labour Government?

Thatcher took over a broken country, destroyed by the Unions, Red Robbo a case in point. She was a lot of things, certainly not all of them good, but she got the country back on it's feet and booming. Under Labour, when I joined the jolly military in the seventies , we used a football rattle to simulate a machine gun as we had no rounds for training. Our pay was so poor, I had to take out a loan to simply live. That was before Thatcher, it all got appreciably better during her term

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Imagine what would have happened if Thatcher and her successors had not squandered the proceeds of North Sea oil on tax cuts for the wealthy but had instead invested them for the good of the whole country?


Imagine if there would have been anything left in the Treasury after the last Labour Government?

Thatcher took over a broken country, destroyed by the Unions, Red Robbo a case in point. She was a lot of things, certainly not all of them good, but she got the country back on it's feet and booming. Under Labour, when I joined the jolly military in the seventies , we used a football rattle to simulate a machine gun as we had no rounds for training. Our pay was so poor, I had to take out a loan to simply live. That was before Thatcher, it all got appreciably better during her term


Imagine being a UK Car worker in the 1970s and finding out your on 30% less than the same kind of Car workers in France, Germany, Japan and the USA.
Meanwhile middle and upper UK management are on the same money as those in other countries.
Wouldn't you want your union asking why?

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21492
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
Imagine being a UK Car worker in the 1970s and finding out your on 30% less than the same kind of Car workers in France, Germany, Japan and the USA.
Meanwhile middle and upper UK management are on the same money as those in other countries.
Wouldn't you want your union asking why?


Imagine you had a credible source demonstrating the 30% gap and I wouldn't then have to assume it is potential fake news as usual. In any event, I don't recall strikers referring to international comparisons at the time they were just interested in their own pay. It wouldn't make sense anyway as cost of living, exchange rates, and productivity were all different country by country. I do recall that Red Robbo (he of the 523 strikes instigated at Leyland) was ultimately deposed because his own trade unionists saw that his demands were unrealistic and a danger to the industry. People like Jack Jones and Hugh Scanlon, senior trade union leaders at the time, supported the government against the car workers.

Imagine if the workers via their unions and the management had collaborated to increase productivity to levels seen in other countries such as Germany, just how well off they could have become.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:23 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
Odd how those on the Jeremy Kyle show who have multiple kids to different partners have him screaming abuse in their faces and the Mail and Sun condemning them, whereas Johnson is praised and congratulated for doing the same thing.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:30 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
HERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS

1. WHY was Priti Patel appointed in the first place by Johnson given circumstances of her sacking in disgrace by May?

2. WHY did MSM and BBC not ask the obvious questions at the time?

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:00 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
knocker knowles wrote:
HERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS

1. WHY was Priti Patel appointed in the first place by Johnson given circumstances of her sacking in disgrace by May?

2. WHY did MSM and BBC not ask the obvious questions at the time?


Type "Dawn Butler Expenses " and you'll get your answer...

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 21492
Location: Four Oaks
knocker knowles wrote:
Odd how those on the Jeremy Kyle show who have multiple kids to different partners have him screaming abuse in their faces and the Mail and Sun condemning them, whereas Johnson is praised and congratulated for doing the same thing.



I didn 't know Johnson had been on the Kyle show.

_________________
The next level awaits - Champions League or, err, Championship


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:17 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
HERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS

1. WHY was Priti Patel appointed in the first place by Johnson given circumstances of her sacking in disgrace by May?

2. WHY did MSM and BBC not ask the obvious questions at the time?


Type "Dawn Butler Expenses " and you'll get your answer...


The sad part is both Patel and Butler shouldn't be anywhere near public office.

Far to many in it for self rather than community.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:55 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 7158
Sad that the government, which ever colour, don't take the lead..

All Premier League games, EFL fixtures and matches in the FA Women's Super League and Women's Championship have been postponed.
The Premier League said action would resume on 4 April "subject to medical advice and conditions at the time".

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:49 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 25231
Location: Cannock.
Just me own guesswork but August resumption at the earliest.

_________________
For some of us life is not about self interest.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:54 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 4197
knocker knowles wrote:
Just me own guesswork but August resumption at the earliest.


Im going for end of June/Start of July - to give us something to watch over the summer.

Maybe we should start a book ...to give us something to do until then.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18887
Now is the time for Boris to shut the fuck up and allow scientists to chair the televised meetings. I was thinking just how much shit we would be in now if Jezza and Di were running the crisis, fuck my old boots people would be throwing themselves off Sainsbury's roof.

His announcement that schools would close on Friday, then reconfirmed that schools would close on Friday, but people needed to remember that schools would re-open on Monday for key workers kids like Police, emergency services, shop staff, delivery drivers, NHS staff and then teachers was frankly embarrassing .
Teachers have kids Boris as well as feelings you fuckin eejit.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:39 am 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9648
Location: The Cotswolds
According to an opinion poll today, people asked who they would vote for if there were an election tomorrow gave the Tories a 10% lead!

So.... Despite...
Boris apparently useless at job
Govt males a hash of so much of virus responses
Cummings episode
Constant barrage of anti-govt messaging on BBC & media
Labour ditching the unelectable and getting a 'calm sensible bloke who seems to have the measure of Boris at PMQs....

.... the British public STILL prefer the Conservatives. Is there ANY future for the Labour Party?

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:53 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 8144
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
There is a future for the Labour Party once it sheds itself from the Momentum Nutcases and also loosens its ties with the Unions, such as Unite with that unshaven gobshite McCluskey at the helm. They have a better leader now but need to improve the quality of Shadow Cabinet members, they are wishy washy at best. However with the next election almost 5 years away, only a massive national crisis or scandal would see them anywhere near power again. Boris has been useless since he took over, he was a better choice than Corbyn for sure but he is all waffle and bluster and has no real substance and stutters about with differing views every week or so. The Tory Party also need to improve generally as they are far from being the obvious choice after the mishandling and clumsiness of dealing with Corona. Politicians everywhere have lots to do to earn public respect and esteem.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:30 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
gladbachwolf wrote:
There is a future for the Labour Party once it sheds itself from the Momentum Nutcases and also loosens its ties with the Unions, such as Unite with that unshaven gobshite McCluskey at the helm. They have a better leader now but need to improve the quality of Shadow Cabinet members, they are wishy washy at best. However with the next election almost 5 years away, only a massive national crisis or scandal would see them anywhere near power again. Boris has been useless since he took over, he was a better choice than Corbyn for sure but he is all waffle and bluster and has no real substance and stutters about with differing views every week or so. The Tory Party also need to improve generally as they are far from being the obvious choice after the mishandling and clumsiness of dealing with Corona. Politicians everywhere have lots to do to earn public respect and esteem.


The whole political spectrum is full of rubbish. It's simply a case of one party having slightly less shit than the other. ( a lot less if Corbyn was still at the helm )

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:24 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 8144
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Nicely put that, suiging, it probably sums up how most voters feel nowadays.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:51 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 4197
gladbachwolf wrote:
There is a future for the Labour Party once it sheds itself from the Momentum Nutcases and also loosens its ties with the Unions, such as Unite with that unshaven gobshite McCluskey at the helm. They have a better leader now but need to improve the quality of Shadow Cabinet members, they are wishy washy at best. However with the next election almost 5 years away, only a massive national crisis or scandal would see them anywhere near power again. Boris has been useless since he took over, he was a better choice than Corbyn for sure but he is all waffle and bluster and has no real substance and stutters about with differing views every week or so. The Tory Party also need to improve generally as they are far from being the obvious choice after the mishandling and clumsiness of dealing with Corona. Politicians everywhere have lots to do to earn public respect and esteem.


Damned with Faint Praise....??


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:59 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Posts: 4197
Do you think there is a case for the Public getting what the public wants?

Has the advent of 'The Celebrity' coupled with (Un)Social Media merely suceeded in elevating the ill informed idiot to the status of trend setter/influencer amongst the majority- and resulted in the knowledge amongst those in power that you only need sound bites & image with no real poiltcal nous or substance to succeed in your plan to rule the world.

Are we now reaping what we have sown for the last decade or so.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:11 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
davejonesears wrote:
Do you think there is a case for the Public getting what the public wants?

Has the advent of 'The Celebrity' coupled with (Un)Social Media merely suceeded in elevating the ill informed idiot to the status of trend setter/influencer amongst the majority- and resulted in the knowledge amongst those in power that you only need sound bites & image with no real poiltcal nous or substance to succeed in your plan to rule the world.

Are we now reaping what we have sown for the last decade or so.


Yes.

When the media does nothing but look for sensational soundbites, and the stupid voting masses believe the media no matter what, you are left with a generation of politicians frightened of their own shadow, or cunning enough to waltz through the media blitz by doing nothing. He who does nothing, does nothing wrong. Fear of making a mistake and being slaughtered on Newsnight, leaving Parliament with a gaggle of clucking hens rather than a House full of this country's leaders.

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:55 pm
Posts: 18887
davejonesears wrote:
Do you think there is a case for the Public getting what the public wants?

Has the advent of 'The Celebrity' coupled with (Un)Social Media merely suceeded in elevating the ill informed idiot to the status of trend setter/influencer amongst the majority- and resulted in the knowledge amongst those in power that you only need sound bites & image with no real poiltcal nous or substance to succeed in your plan to rule the world.

Are we now reaping what we have sown for the last decade or so.


Yes, absolutely. Never in my lifetime has free speech been so readily available yet utterly useless. Social media has given the fool a voice.
There is a simpler remedy to Katie Hopkins than to ban her or her left wing liberal equivalents, and that is to ignore them. This simple task is beyond the Twitterati and Instagrammers.

_________________
There is no substitute for hard work.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 9648
Location: The Cotswolds
I seem to have started something! And agree with most!

As well as social media, the BBC and countless 'commercial' radio stations have to share the blame too. There should be a BAN on radio phone-in shows.

Why?

Because it gives the ignorant, ill-informed, brainless gobshite the opportunity to share his/her completely unimportant 'opinions' (often stated as 'facts') with the equally daft listeners.

Why?

Because it is INCREDIBLY CHEAP to produce. A phone line. A 'presenter' (winding up the masses), a receptionist to take the calls (sorry - 'researcher'!) and a producer to decide which nutters get through (and the more wild and controversial the better your chance! "It pulls in listeners".)

No actors, or experts, or musicians or.... to pay.

"NO COST - NO VALUE" radio.

Am I the only one who switches off Nicky Clarke, Emma Barnett, Robbie Savage etc etc etc....??

_________________
Prediction League Winner 2018-19
Prediction League Winner 2015-16


E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 17221
Location: Moved
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
I seem to have started something! And agree with most!

As well as social media, the BBC and countless 'commercial' radio stations have to share the blame too. There should be a BAN on radio phone-in shows.

Why?

Because it gives the ignorant, ill-informed, brainless gobshite the opportunity to share his/her completely unimportant 'opinions' (often stated as 'facts') with the equally daft listeners.

Why?

Because it is INCREDIBLY CHEAP to produce. A phone line. A 'presenter' (winding up the masses), a receptionist to take the calls (sorry - 'researcher'!) and a producer to decide which nutters get through (and the more wild and controversial the better your chance! "It pulls in listeners".)

No actors, or experts, or musicians or.... to pay.

"NO COST - NO VALUE" radio.

Am I the only one who switches off Nicky Clarke, Emma Barnett, Robbie Savage etc etc etc....??




The problem lies with the producers and staffers who 'vet' the calls before they go on. The lovely Emma takes calls from A. People she agrees with. And B. People who are so outrageous and obviously educationally challenged, that she and her ilk can appear oh so superior, as she takes them apart, and then uses their totally over the top opinions to show that the other side of any argument in any way opposed to to her's, is racist, sexist, LGBTist, any 'ist' you'd care to mention.

_________________
Dyslexics lives mattress


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Government.
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 8144
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
suiging wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
I seem to have started something! And agree with most!

As well as social media, the BBC and countless 'commercial' radio stations have to share the blame too. There should be a BAN on radio phone-in shows.

Why?

Because it gives the ignorant, ill-informed, brainless gobshite the opportunity to share his/her completely unimportant 'opinions' (often stated as 'facts') with the equally daft listeners.

Why?

Because it is INCREDIBLY CHEAP to produce. A phone line. A 'presenter' (winding up the masses), a receptionist to take the calls (sorry - 'researcher'!) and a producer to decide which nutters get through (and the more wild and controversial the better your chance! "It pulls in listeners".)

No actors, or experts, or musicians or.... to pay.

"NO COST - NO VALUE" radio.

Am I the only one who switches off Nicky Clarke, Emma Barnett, Robbie Savage etc etc etc....??




The problem lies with the producers and staffers who 'vet' the calls before they go on. The lovely Emma takes calls from A. People she agrees with. And B. People who are so outrageous and obviously educationally challenged, that she and her ilk can appear oh so superior, as she takes them apart, and then uses their totally over the top opinions to show that the other side of any argument in any way opposed to to her's, is racist, sexist, LGBTist, any 'ist' you'd care to mention.


Pist..??? :-)

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.