Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post subject: Climate Protest
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Wouldn't it be nice if the few hundred people vowing to 'stop London working' for the next 2 weeks would do so without costing the rest of us millions of pounds in policing, court time, not to mention lost business. And wouldn't it be even nicer if they didn't vandalise so many buildings which require no doubt very non-environmentally-friendly solvents being used to clean it up. And even nicer still if they showed respect for the planet and did not leave tons of waste paper and general detritus lying around the streets for others to clean up??

Of course we are all against 'destruction of the planet' (although the cause of its destruction is open to considerable debate, which the zealots will not wish to engage with - preferring to believe their own propaganda than someone else's!). And we are all fearful of the impact of global warming - especially on poor low-lying highly populated areas of the world.

But is the ONLY way to send a message via means which so disrupt the lives of others that news media swarm all over them? Perhaps if the media gave airtime to 'peaceful protest' as to violent protest, the protesters would stick to peaceful means?? I blame the media.... (again!)

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Climate Protest
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

We have a massive problem because the people we trust in high office couldn't give a fuck about the planet .

Nations chasing continued economic growth when the need is better research in all manner of environmental issues.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm 

Without wishing to be controversial or political about such things (which are much too important for political ideologies to get in the way), isn't it the case that many of the very worst cases of poor practice in mining, and general chemical pollution and burning of coal comes from communist countries?

I don't see Russia and China (for starters) having great records in maintaining the health of the planet for their working man....

But that is churlish. I just don't think you can lay the blame entirely on British politicians - or indeed on capitalism or Tories or Business possess or.... - who I suspect have a better record on these things than many.

But the planet is in a bloody mess. But have we always thought so? The air and water we breathe is marvellously cleaner that it has been for 200 years - largely thanks to legislation and actions by the politicians you seem to despise.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Without wishing to be controversial or political about such things (which are much too important for political ideologies to get in the way), isn't it the case that many of the very worst cases of poor practice in mining, and general chemical pollution and burning of coal comes from communist countries?

I don't see Russia and China (for starters) having great records in maintaining the health of the planet for their working man....

But that is churlish. I just don't think you can lay the blame entirely on British politicians - or indeed on capitalism or Tories or Business possess or.... - who I suspect have a better record on these things than many.

But the planet is in a bloody mess. But have we always thought so? The air and water we breathe is marvellously cleaner that it has been for 200 years - largely thanks to legislation and actions by the politicians you seem to despise.

I lady protestor on the radio when asked why they are not targeting India and China, replied that they ( China/India/ Brazil) look to the UK to take the lead. Do they hell. This totally deluded view of the power of the West, by a disaffected cyclist, shows why politics can never be separated from such action. If the quite rightly dismayed cyclists want to actually save the planet, they should learn who are now the major polluters of the world and take action accordingly. Stopping public transport, and alienating anyone without purple/green hair and a bike, hardly helps. When the US Soya monopoly was broken by a mixture of sanction retaliation by China and silly green haired cyclist, Countries in South America saw the hole in the market and destroyed millions of acres of the rainforest to plant the crop to flood the market. The unethical, to a degree American production was drastically affected, sending poor families to the wall in the name of green/purple haired protestors, and Chinese politicians in the name of pay-back. The result ? A better planet....Mmmmmm no. The destruction of the rainforest at an even greater rate, and the American poor getting poorer.

I give up

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 am 
Manager
Manager

If by indirect actions you can move climate change into national and international debate its worth doing.
Simple as that.

People have to be thinking and talking about the most series issues.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
If by indirect actions you can move climate change into national and international debate its worth doing.
Simple as that.

People have to be thinking and talking about the most series issues.

Indicative thinking of 1970s unionists. Let's strike, block public transport, and make everybody's life a misery for as long as we can. Alienation of the general public does not get people thinking about the issues, it just makes people hate the selfish protagonists.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

We in the west want the latest gadgets at the lowest prices- the only way we have been able to do that is to allow China to make the stuff whilst they ignore the emissions everyone else is 'worried about'.
Ask those protesting if they have the latest laptop/iphone/electric car and see what they say-They also don't want nuclear power - hypocrites the lot of em.

Thatcher in the 80 fucked our clean coal tech right off ...and ignored the requirement for Nuclear power - as a Chemist those decisions were diabolical - we lost our tech lead in both due to her lack of foresight.
Cameron introduced more punnative 'green taxes' than even the EU had agreed - thus prematurely closing our coal power stations.
In the meantime the Chinese and the Indians carry on regardless- why dya think Trump has come out of the Kyoto Protocol...he sees it for what it is ...handing power (literally) to those nations.

It is intrinsically linked to politics no matter what you think.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I did chuckle when the two self indulgent middle class warriors on top of the train got remanded in prison for a month after pleading not guilty to sitting on top of a train.
I sincerely hope they complain bitterly about the food and conditions and how the lags fail to recycle their shanks after usage by chucking them in the bogs.
I would fuckin love to see that sketch...... " I say, I say, that weapon you just discarded may well interrupt the fragile diversity of our coast lines if it ever reaches the sea and our indigenous passengers, have you no shame sir"

WHUMP.

Real world

I suppose in a free western society folk have the freedom to be complete bellends.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am 
Manager
Manager

There is freedom of speech !!!!

It's freedom after speech I can't guarantee.....

Idi Amin.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Hammersmith bridge requires 40 million to reopen which would enable 20 thousand cars quick easy access each day. It will remain shut.

Boris Johnson spent 43 million on a Garden Bridge project that was pure pie in the sky.

Don't for a second think Tories are anything but a party of waste.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:00 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Hammersmith bridge requires 40 million to reopen which would enable 20 thousand cars quick easy access each day. It will remain shut.

Boris Johnson spent 43 million on a Garden Bridge project that was pure pie in the sky.

I don't. Just like I expect to think the same of Labour if they are elected.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I don't. Just like I expect to think the same of Labour if they are elected.

Labour will waste and take for their political ideology

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Emma Thompson sitting aboard her pink boat on a London Street defending her choice of taking an aircraft to join the protest stated " I do plant a lot of trees" fuck my old boots these knobbers choke me.

I would respect her more if she had stated "It is time we took up arms against Bangladesh who's arrogant and irresponsible deforestation programmes have wrecked their country and environment to the prejudice of us all forever"

Put another log on the fire...…….

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:46 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
We in the west want the latest gadgets at the lowest prices- the only way we have been able to do that is to allow China to make the stuff whilst they ignore the emissions everyone else is 'worried about'.
Ask those protesting if they have the latest laptop/iphone/electric car and see what they say-They also don't want nuclear power - hypocrites the lot of em.

Thatcher in the 80 fucked our clean coal tech right off ...and ignored the requirement for Nuclear power - as a Chemist those decisions were diabolical - we lost our tech lead in both due to her lack of foresight.
Cameron introduced more punnative 'green taxes' than even the EU had agreed - thus prematurely closing our coal power stations.
In the meantime the Chinese and the Indians carry on regardless- why dya think Trump has come out of the Kyoto Protocol...he sees it for what it is ...handing power (literally) to those nations.

What about those in the west who have different values and couldn't give a fuck about the latest gadgets at cheap prices.
Watching the planet being continually rinced, with the oceans full of shit and plastic and the air we breathe creating all types of problems.
Who represents us?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:10 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

What about those in the west who have different values and couldn't give a fuck about the latest gadgets at cheap prices.
Watching the planet being continually rinced, with the oceans full of shit and plastic and the air we breathe creating all types of problems.
Who represents us?

I don't believe there are many in the West that qualify for that statement tbh ...certainly not Emma- Leaving on a Jet Plane- Thompson (the irony of her appearance lost on many of those cheering her) or many of the tw@ts down London at the moment.

I think they should look at how much increase in prices there wouldl be if they forced companies to ensure goods are made using only clean tech...then see how much support they would really get.

Or lobby the Chinese Indian and American governments to make sure they have to stay in the Kyoto Protocol...or we don't buy their goods....see how successful that is.

Then you'll see what people really want.

It's very easy to sit there and glue your hand to a train ...but what is that really doing - other than proving what a pretentious self serving @rsehole you are.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

40 Million seems a drop in the ocean - but ...would that just increase the numbers of cars entering the city and thus be self defeating?

If it wouldn't increase the total number of cars entering the city then that would seem like a good idea as less traffic jams = cleaner air.

Its a pity there isn't a position of power in London that would help to identify these things and push them through to help Londoners-I dunno someone like a Mayor maybe?

oh hang on I forgot there is...but he's just another @rsehole looking to promote himself ...he's more interested in anything anti-trump , anti brexit and supporting protesters rather than doing anything really worthwhile.

Just because he ain't Tory doesn't mean he can't be a big w@nker as well.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

Who represents us?

I don't believe there are many in the West that qualify for that statement tbh ...certainly not Emma- Leaving on a Jet Plane- Thompson (the irony of her appearance lost on many of those cheering her) or many of the tw@ts down London at the moment.

I think they should look at how much increase in prices there wouldl be if they forced companies to ensure goods are made using only clean tech...then see how much support they would really get.

Or lobby the Chinese Indian and American governments to make sure they have to stay in the Kyoto Protocol...or we don't buy their goods....see how successful that is.

Then you'll see what people really want.

It's very easy to sit there and glue your hand to a train ...but what is that really doing - other than proving what a pretentious self serving @rsehole you are.

If there are not many in the west that care, well that says a lot about the human race. Perhaps extinction is a real possibility.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just another "Arseholes Latest Fashion Trending Group". Get the Army on the streets to clear out this band of scumbags without day jobs, or misguided celebrity actresses. Me? I'd water cannon the bastards. How long before a patient in an ambulance rushing to hospital in an emergency, gets held up in the traffic hold ups they glorify in, and dies as a result? No one country is doing everything to lead on climate change but this senseless bunch of twats rile me beyond belief.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

They remind me of the Greenham Common protesters. Secretly funded by East Germany, full of Home County hippies, popping out of Chelsea at the weekend to spit at a copper or a serviceman, before running home for a nice glass of champers and back to work in Central London on Monday morning. Nice and fresh in their business best, ready to make a few thousand more, before donning the soiled kaftan, and pretending to care again the following weekend. :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Just another "Arseholes Latest Fashion Trending Group". Get the Army on the streets to clear out this band of scumbags without day jobs, or misguided celebrity actresses. Me? I'd water cannon the bastards. How long before a patient in an ambulance rushing to hospital in an emergency, gets held up in the traffic hold ups they glorify in, and dies as a result? No one country is doing everything to lead on climate change but this senseless bunch of twats rile me beyond belief.

So who do you trust to prevent the planet going beyond help?

You cant trust the politicians to do anything without the people who inhabit the planet putting pressure on their sorry arses.

Me I'm really pissed that the powers that be have seriously fucked up the world because of greed ethics.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

So who do you trust to prevent the planet going beyond help?

You cant trust the politicians to do anything without the people who inhabit the planet putting pressure on their sorry arses.

Me I'm really pissed that the powers that be have seriously fucked up the world because of greed ethics.

Agreed. However, as a nation we have met and exceeded our targets to help save the planet. Why isn't the anger and disruption aimed at the Chinese, the Indians, the Brazilians, all those countries who are not doing a fraction of what the UK has achieved.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:27 am 
Manager
Manager

The UK is not doing enough and should do far better.

Yes the scrutiny has to fall on the large abusers such as India and China, with sanctions until they get their houses in order.

No exceptions.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 am 
YTS

You could look at it this way
Climate change is arguably the most important political issue there is or has ever been. What has been done so far has been the result of pressure being put on governments and business by campaigners and scientists with the growing support of the public.

A bunch of young people went out to demonstrate on a political issue to get the issue in the news- political engagement by young people is a good thing in itself. It was disruptive but non- violent. Unlike many such demonstrations it wasn’t hijacked by violent anarchists and class war types who go to cause trouble

The police dealt with it really well- credit to them. In a way it showed the UK in s really good light. Put the gilet jaunes and others to shame. Free speech good policing and political engagement

Don’t let your understandable irritation at being preached at by the likes of Emma Thompson obscure the bigger picture

I agree the UK is actually a leader not a villain in this area. But the protesters can only protest here to keep focus on the issue. The more focus there is the greater the likelihood western governments will also bring pressure to bear on the likes of China

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:01 am 
Manager
Manager

raggedwolf wrote:
You could look at it this way
Climate change is arguably the most important political issue there is or has ever been. What has been done so far has been the result of pressure being put on governments and business by campaigners and scientists with the growing support of the public.

A bunch of young people went out to demonstrate on a political issue to get the issue in the news- political engagement by young people is a good thing in itself. It was disruptive but non- violent. Unlike many such demonstrations it wasn’t hijacked by violent anarchists and class war types who go to cause trouble

The police dealt with it really well- credit to them. In a way it showed the UK in s really good light. Put the gilet jaunes and others to shame. Free speech good policing and political engagement

Don’t let your understandable irritation at being preached at by the likes of Emma Thompson obscure the bigger picture

I agree the UK is actually a leader not a villain in this area. But the protesters can only protest here to keep focus on the issue. The more focus there is the greater the likelihood western governments will also bring pressure to bear on the likes of China

Your points are well made. Back in the day on one side of the fence at RAF Greenham Common, I had a similar conversation with a "Lady" before she tried to shove a used tampon in my face. Her anger was increased to such a fever pitch as i simply asked her if she thought she would be allowed to carry out such a protest in the then Soviet Russia, a country she and her like were lauding, and holding banners supporting. She couldn't see that by having a then credible military, her freedoms were protected, and in particular her freedom to demonstrate and say things against her government that should have got her mom to wash her mouth out with soap, did not see her disappear into a Gulag. The tampon appeared when I asked her if they would, or had considered protesting outside the Soviet Embassy, a regime that was incarcerating many thousands for looking the wrong way at an official, never mind the rubbish they were up to, and stockpiling nuclear weapons for offence ( that was their doctrine ) not defence, like the people, her people, who's life she wanted to make a misery.
Same thing here. Yes more needs to be done, but as with Greenham mob, these luvvies protest against the easy option, an option that is genuinely leading the way in the fight to get what they want to achieve. Leaving piles of plastic bottles, forcing the attempted shutdown of the capital's public transport network, is all about them. It's their look at me moment. We won't try to force India, China, Brazil, Russia and the like to do the right thing, as that's too difficult. Let's have a party ( before slipping back to our upper middle class life ) and show the world ME ME ME.
Like the Greenham luvvies, they make me sick with their victim politics. Emma Thompson a victim ? Bugger me sideways. Her comments on not travelling economy, sums up the lot of them.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I see ower Jezza has jumped on the bandwagon now as well....what a surprise.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:

The gullible youth vote, is all he has left.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am 
YTS

Strangely enough between my post and yours Suiging I had a heated argument with my sister kind of taking your point.

Slagging off the UK is not the way to go. This is a great country which has and will continue to achieve great things.

I do think there is a difference now between the GreenhamCommon protest of the type you describe and the climate change movement. Far more ordinary people as opposed to hippies and anarchists getting involved hence the more civilised protest although I accept it will have caused hardship to some.

This is a massive - no the massive - issue for the next generations. I have gone on endlessly on here about Brexit but I’m probably missing the point as well. We are probably sleepwalking to disaster andubless it gets to the very top of the agenda - and ceases to be seen as an obsession of hippies and loonies- then our children’s children will pay the ultimate price. Slagging off the uk wont help win the argument although we could do more as could all the other nations.Doesnt mean we don’t need to do more. They were right to protest in my book

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:05 am 
Manager
Manager

raggedwolf wrote:
Strangely enough between my post and yours Suiging I had a heated argument with my sister kind of taking your point.

Slagging off the UK is not the way to go. This is a great country which has and will continue to achieve great things.

I do think there is a difference now between the GreenhamCommon protest of the type you describe and the climate change movement. Far more ordinary people as opposed to hippies and anarchists getting involved hence the more civilised protest although I accept it will have caused hardship to some.

This is a massive - no the massive - issue for the next generations. I have gone on endlessly on here about Brexit but I’m probably missing the point as well. We are probably sleepwalking to disaster andubless it gets to the very top of the agenda - and ceases to be seen as an obsession of hippies and loonies- then our children’s children will pay the ultimate price. Slagging off the uk wont help win the argument although we could do more as could all the other nations.Doesnt mean we don’t need to do more. They were right to protest in my book

Yes. It is a cause worth fighting for. But as with all wars, picking your battle, and your opponent, is key to success. These protestors missed the goal on so many levels. ( metaphor, cliche, etc etc. It is Sunday after all )

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:21 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

Gullible how? Labour produced a very good Climate change policy in 2008.

Its this lot in charge now who cant be trusted and put profit before people in wide ranging policy from Fracking to Runways.

Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

Gullible how? Labour produced a very good Climate change policy in 2008.

Its this lot in charge now who cant be trusted and put profit before people in wide ranging policy from Fracking to Runways.

And what was the actual policy ? Not the rhetoric, the actual policy...

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand