Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Poverty in Britain...
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just heard on BBC Radio 4 2.00pm News that someone had said (about this food waste issue) that Mr Cameron had lifted a lot of people in Britain out of poverty. I can only assume that he's referring to the rich who reckon they've fallen on hard times during this beastly recession.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30379431

Doe forget some blue pop and a bag of weed.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Aye, Rozz. The said comment was connected with that news item and the interview with her on The World at One was alarming. She admitted the mistake and said that she'd appologise and that her excuse was that she was speaking "unscriptred". :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04th9fq

...at 18 minutes

Now, for the life of me, I do not understand why Martha Kearney didn't pick her up on this - she always gives Labour MPs a hard time; the suggestion being that she could only safely comment if she had a script in front of her. Pathetic.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

The cause of hunger in the UK is Osborne's cynicism and Tory political ideology. To think Cameron turned down food relief from the EU because it would make him look bad in the media.

A country of have and have nots with the possibility of that divide growing. Do enough people care?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Spot on Knocker. No one was hungry in all those Labour years were they ?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:07 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Spot on Knocker. No one was hungry in all those Labour years were they ?

Well, if consecutive governments keep allowing more free-loaders in to add to the free-loaders we already have then, the seams are going to split somewhere. I would've thought it difficult for anyone able bodied to starve in the UK nowadays, go without luxuries yes, perhaps, but starve no albeit, something ain't right when Billions are spent on wars we shouldn't be involved in and pensioners freeze and starve to death.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:08 am 
Manager
Manager

People are going without meals these days because they don't have enough money. There's plenty of journalistic evidence to support that view. Parents are going without meals to feed their children and are skipping lunch or dinner at night. Children are also attending school in a malnourished state.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:45 am 
Manager
Manager

I don't fancy parting the lips of Baroness Jenkin of Kennington, but that Butler-Sloss wench, well, I'll have a goo after Leftie has shot his bolt.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
People are going without meals these days because they don't have enough money. There's plenty of journalistic evidence to support that view. Parents are going without meals to feed their children and are skipping lunch or dinner at night. Children are also attending school in a malnourished state.

This is true,
when people are unsure where the next meal is coming from, or freeze because they can't afford heating, you know somethings wrong at the top, no matter the government.
Do enough people within society care?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
I don't fancy parting the lips of Baroness Jenkin of Kennington, but that Butler-Sloss wench, well, I'll have a goo after Leftie has shot his bolt.

:shock: But she looks like Jimmy Saville! :smt078

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

You're right SEL, and besides, she's too old for me.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:44 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

He got em the wrong way round I reckon ...at least the Baroness Jenking looks like she's JUST this side of an 100 !

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:

Could you define what kind of folk these would be; out of work, single parent, on benefits etc.

Also, is it because they cannot afford a microwave meal or a takeaway as opposed to making soups from cheap cuts of meat and cheap market vegetables.

Okay, I accept that not every housewife has the ability to cook a wholesome meal from next to nothing, but that is why I say surely it is difficult to starve. I'd rather fill my stomach first and worry about bills later, but I don't live in an inner city where the supermarket is the only King.

Again, is it the government's fault for not being able to keep up with rising house rental prices as this is surely where the majority of anyone's income is being swallowed up - I don't know enough about the income details to reach a conclusion, but I do often hear and read about Landlords' rental prices being too high for most folk, but whilst we're selling off Council House and giving them to refugees then, the situation won't change. Perhaps rental incomes should be capped overall within reason or some similar project to provide cheaper housing outside of hostels?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Aint many folk in poverty have ever been obese in the history of man

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

Went off on a little bit of research on the subject and came across this Guardian report:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/15/child-poverty-levels-uk-mapped-out-research

Seems to me that most of the areas mentioned by name are the areas with the most ethnic minorities, but hunger is hunger no matter what colour or creed, just wonder what some of these folk are trying to do to help themselves in a legal way.

I was always anti-Londoner as they always could find some kind of work in the Capital and I still feel the same that if you want to find work in London, you can, but might be that I am out of touch nowadays.

Housing costs appear in the report to be the main out-going cost as I had suspected.

Bring back the Soup Kitchens and the Means Test perhaps as I am sure there is many a hungry kid who's Parents smoke a couple of packets of cigarettes per day plus like their few pints of beer and there again, there will always be genuine folk who just cannot make ends meet however hard they try.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Single mums are affected particularly where there's no chap around or one who refuses to pay his mainenance. It's the kind of mum who has a cleaning job, on zero hours, studying (often at not such an advanced level) or just plain unemployed because she has three (or more) kids to look after who are quite badly hit in a material way.

Yes, many of them got themselves into the mess in the first place but it doesn't make it easier for the kids...and then the wheel keeps turning as they get older and end up having kids themselves - often at a young age.

I've been on a few home visits and have seen the contrast between the mum's outward respecability/appearance and her home environment and whilst I haven't been into any slum areas I have to say that I've felt pangs of guilt at the low level that some folk live at compared with my own circumstances. God knows what it's like in slum/highly-deprived areas.

Last edited by SELWolf on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SELWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

I couldn't do that Justice.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

What do you have to do/prove to get some handouts from those Food Banks because the photographs I just viewed in the Independent on-line shows some good tasty stuff that I wouldn't mind getting a shopping bag full of myself. :lol:

Unless there are restrictions about who gets it fine, but if not then, you're going to have folk like me filling their boots. :wink:

Quote:
The BNP have set up their own foodbanks
Nick Griffin tweeted: “For the avoidance of doubt, our BNP food banks are for indigenous Brits only. 'Minorities' all have their own (taxpayer-funded) charities.”

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Aye there's starving folks for sure but i'll bet me danglers that many a parent is still smoking their Lambert & Butler and necking a glug of piss each night, when the funds could have been used to prep a simple yet nourishing meal.
Shit upon shit tirade of shit politicians and limp wristed PC brigade reap what you've sown. You've spunked the funds for years on bollacks after bollacks and any useless bugger from any corner of globe. Fatest nation in Europe I'm surprised the uk hasn't got a 30 degree list to starboard, makes me a tad mad when I see what the shitheads of Westminster have done, will do, useless the fuckin lot of them.....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Gen Wolf wrote:
Aye there's starving folks for sure but i'll bet me danglers that many a parent is still smoking their Lambert & Butler and necking a glug of piss each night, when the funds could have been used to prep a simple yet nourishing meal.
Shit upon shit tirade of shit politicians and limp wristed PC brigade reap what you've sown. You've spunked the funds for years on bollacks after bollacks and any useless bugger from any corner of globe. Fatest nation in Europe I'm surprised the uk hasn't got a 30 degree list to starboard, makes me a tad mad when I see what the shitheads of Westminster have done, will do, useless the fuckin lot of them.....

As I've said above, mate, I feel a Hell of a lot luckier than a fair few families I've had the responsibility to visit. It's enough to make the heart bleed at times.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:58 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Single mums are affected particularly where there's no chap around or one who refuses to pay his mainenance. It's the kind of mum who has a cleaning job, on zero hours, studying (often at not such an advanced level) or just plain unemployed because she has three (or more) kids to look after who are quite badly hit in a material way.

Yes, many of them got themselves into the mess in the first place but it doesn't make it easier for the kids...and then the wheel keeps turning as they get older and end up having kids themselves - often at a young age.

I've been on a few home visits and have seen the contrast between the mum's outward respecability/appearance and her home environment and whilst I haven't been into any slum areas I have to say that I've felt pangs of guilt at the low level that some folk live at compared with my own circumstances. God knows what it's like in slum/highly-deprived areas.

Why is that allowed to happen though - I thought that a previous government some years ago went on a campaign to track down absent Fathers and make them pay what the government decided was considered fair maintenance and therefore negating personal ad hoc arrangements between estranged Parents where the government would have to pick-up any shortfall to make ends meet - I recall it wasn't popular as these monies were taken at source, right from their pay packets. Is it still in force or been rescinded?

We're no longer urging couples to raise kids to replace young men lost in two World Wars and it is well past the point where some folk need to take responsibility for their actions. Accidents happen, but not 3 or more times in succession. :roll:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Quote:
I recall it wasn't popular as these monies were taken at source, right from their pay packets. Is it still in force or been rescinded?

I don't know. I suspect that it's difficult to enforce as there's a lot of unemployment and black economy work gong on among the feckless.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:36 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I would like to compare my childhood and into adolescence with the poverty stricken Brits of today to be fair.
My first an opening gambit would be how much a luxury do they consider hot water to be?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
I would like to compare my childhood and into adolescence with the poverty stricken Brits of today to be fair.
My first an opening gambit would be how much a luxury do they consider hot water to be?

It's a good point that you make, Rozza. Running hot water and central heating were just not on the agenda. We didn't have a fridge but used summat called an "Osocool" cooler which was quite small and which you poured water into a perforated cavity on the top of the container and which circulated it. We didn't have a washing machine and neither did we have a mangle. As for having a car... :shock: . The outside loo was bloody cold in winter as well and that was if there wasn't any snow and ice. That was in the mid 60s but when I became a student in the North East and lived out in a mining village called Wheatley Hill in 1977, time hadn't moved things on - it was just the same there (except we had a fridge but there was no bathroom). That bloody outside loo was even colder up in the North East as well, particularly as I'd got used to an inside loo as circumstances and housing improvements at my Nan's had improved - and she had a bedroom converted to a bathroom and toilet in the late 60s. We had a make-shift bathroom the width of a bath and filled it with pans of hot water. :)

I never thought of ourselves as poor because so many others in our town were at the same level of "poverty" and we just accepted it - we didn't have take-aways unless it was from the fish and chip shop once in a while. However, looking back it's quite clear that we were poor...and so many poor/working class kids who managed to pass the eleven plus didn't do very well at the GHrammar School.

Yeah, they were hardships but it was a different kind of poverty to that of today. People tell me of what it was like in the East End of London in the 60s and that seems to be worse than I had witnessed. It's difficult to compare. Anecdotal evidence has its place but it's not easy to evaluate the effects of each experience and weigh them against each other.

I suppose that I knew there was a material difference between me and some of the others because they had train sets, Dinky and Corgi cars and some had Scalextric. Kids I generally played with were much the same - football, climbing trees over the fields and the odd kids games which didn't require toys. Most kids had some board games for indoors entertainment during poorer weather.

Last edited by SELWolf on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:39 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Rozza wrote:

It's a good point that you make, Rozza. Running hot water and central heating were just not on the agenda. We didn't have a fridge but used summat called an "Osocool" cooler which was quite small and which you poured water into a perforated cavity on the top of the container and which circulated it. We didn't have a washing machine and neither did we have a mangle. As for having a car... :shock: . The outside loo was bloody cold in winter as well and that was if there wasn't any snow and ice. That was in the mid 60s but when I became a student in the North East and lived out in a mining village called Wheatley Hill in 1977, time hadn't moved things on - it was just the same there (except we had a fridge but there was no bathroom). That bloody outside loo was even colder up in the North East as well, particularly as I'd got used to an inside loo as circumstances and housing improvements at my Nan's had improved - and she had a bedroom converted to a bathroom and toilet in the late 60s. We had a make-shift bathroom the width of a bath and filled it with pans of hot water. :)

I never thought of ourselves as poor because so many others in our town were at the same level of "poverty" and we just accepted it - we didn't have take-aways unless it was from the fish and chip shop once in a while. However, looking back it's quite clear that we were poor...and so many poor/working class kids who managed to pass the eleven plus didn't do very well at the GHrammar School.

Yeah, they were hardships but it was a different kind of poverty to that of today. People tell me of what it was like in the East End of London in the 60s and that seems to be worse than I had witnessed. It's difficult to compare. Anecdotal evidence has its place but it's not easy to evaluate the effects of each experience and weigh them against each other.

I suppose that I knew there was a material difference between me and some of the others because they had train sets, Dinky and Corgi cars and some had Scalextric. Kids I generally played with were much the same - football, climbing trees over the fields and the odd kids games which didn't require toys. Most kids some board games for indoors entertainment during poorer weather.

Sounds like my childhood, and that was a happy time. The cherubs these days, haven't got a clue, spoilt little gets.

SEL, did you end up with newspaper print on your backside?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:25 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:

SEL, did you end up with newspaper print on your backside?

San Izal, mate. :lol:

Mind you, my Nan came from a Derbyshire farm and whenever we went to stay there was a longer trip to the loo than we had across the back yard (thank God we only ever went in the summer!) and they used newspaper; it also didn't have a flush and the place stank. Still, the place has been sold on and sold on since her day and and is now worth a fortune with all of its conversions.

How times change.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The News of the world was de rigeur in our hum on a Sunday as it was very good on the whole! for the rest of the week as it were.

Heres another one I had to take for granted, one heat source in the whole house which was a coal fire in the front room which day mek itself!!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

I used to make the fire when I got back from primary school. It was fun, rolling sheets of newspaper and then folding them over and over to make paper bricks, then fetching coal from the coalhouse and heaping it on top. Some loose newspaper at the bottom to get it going, sometimes a few small thin bits of wood.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Nibbs Minton wrote:
I used to make the fire when I got back from primary school. It was fun, rolling sheets of newspaper and then folding them over and over to make paper bricks, then fetching coal from the coalhouse and heaping it on top. Some loose newspaper at the bottom to get it going, sometimes a few small thin bits of wood.

Can you imagine the elf n safety brigade today watching an 8 year old kid placing a sheet of newspaper over the hearth so that the upward draught gets the fire going.How many times did that sheet catch fire and disapear up the chimbley.How many times did you break matches because your fingers were too cold to hold them, :( poverty my arse :roll:

I fear this thread may turn out to be a Monty Python sketch.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Can you imagine the elf n safety brigade today watching an 8 year old kid placing a sheet of newspaper over the hearth so that the upward draught gets the fire going.How many times did that sheet catch fire and disapear up the chimbley...

That!! :lol: However, worse still were the times when I couldn't get the fire started so poured oodles of parafin over the warm coals.

WHOOSH!! :shock: :smt100

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 422 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand