Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: BBC
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lines 1 and 3 speak for themselves. Sore thumb syndrome.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Media search in all UK national press, last 3 months, number of articles covering:

“Corbyn and antisemitism” – 1,450

“Johnson and Islamophobia” – 164

“Corbyn and IRA” – 272

“Johnson and Yemen and war crimes” – 2

I'm not sure how anyone defines all the UK national press - but maybe the numbers there reflect the extent of the issues which keep coming to the fore because of the respective parties attitudes. If I was done for 1 criminal offence and you were done for 100 would it not be right to expect more coverage of yours than mine? I would also suggest that a fair number of the Corbyn phrases appear in the likes of the Guardian and the Indepenedent in articles defending the man. Once again you are trying to blame the press for bias when you need to look at the management and attitude of the party towards reducing the untoward incidents.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

And the idiotic artificial furore constructed by the media when trying to hi-jack a Johnson visit by thrusting a picture on a phone in front of his face and demanding he apologise to the child....

I just hate the media attempt to constantly try to portray political figures as liars, hypocrites, and uncaring monsters.

I do not believe most of the rubbish spoken about Corbyn, and I suspect he IS trying to sort the mess in his party out as best he can. And equally, I do not believe the nonsense written about Johnson the man.

What interests me is not their bed-fellows, or even the jokes they might have made 20 years ago, or an injudicious tweet they might have 'liked' for some reason 2 years ago, but rather which leader is going to lead this NATION (not their party) in such a way that we are a prosperous and just society.

The media do not in any way help. They just spread bile and negativity and sow dissension and discord. Free press? There are times I wish we just could get rid of the lot. Would our lives be the poorer for:
- no Daily Mail
- no Sun
- no Mirror
- no Andrew Neill
- no John Humphreys
- no Question Time....

Let's just stick to Have I got News for You, David Attenborough, and Desert Island Discs. They tell us all we need to know about the world....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
And the idiotic artificial furore constructed by the media when trying to hi-jack a Johnson visit by thrusting a picture on a phone in front of his face and demanding he apologise to the child....

I just hate the media attempt to constantly try to portray political figures as liars, hypocrites, and uncaring monsters.

I do not believe most of the rubbish spoken about Corbyn, and I suspect he IS trying to sort the mess in his party out as best he can. And equally, I do not believe the nonsense written about Johnson the man.

What interests me is not their bed-fellows, or even the jokes they might have made 20 years ago, or an injudicious tweet they might have 'liked' for some reason 2 years ago, but rather which leader is going to lead this NATION (not their party) in such a way that we are a prosperous and just society.

The media do not in any way help. They just spread bile and negativity and sow dissension and discord. Free press? There are times I wish we just could get rid of the lot. Would our lives be the poorer for:
- no Daily Mail
- no Sun
- no Mirror
- no Andrew Neill
- no John Humphreys
- no Question Time....

Let's just stick to Have I got News for You, David Attenborough, and Desert Island Discs. They tell us all we need to know about the world....

You can learn a lot from The Goon Show

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

- no Daily Mail
- no Sun
- no Mirror
- no Andrew Neill
- no John Humphreys
- no Question Time....

You can learn a lot from The Goon Show

Andrew Neil gets a pass, the rest are various levels of useless.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, I prefer the original.

BBC you should show it rather than than the other one, a poor copy by the Bluster party.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

BBC you should show it rather than than the other one, a poor copy by the Bluster party.

As if you would prefer the Tory one whatever the comparison.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Well worth finding the original, not hard to find.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Well worth finding the original, not hard to find.

Why do I need to see it?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Wall to wall happy faces from News presenters after the Johnson victory, the home counties posh boys/girls can hardly contain their enthusiasm.

A job well done.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Wall to wall happy faces from News presenters after the Johnson victory, the home counties posh boys/girls can hardly contain their enthusiasm.

A job well done.

You need to watch these things without a closed mindset and take off your minds shackles.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

This country is not full of "posh boys and girls". It is full of middle class people mainly who can spot a fraud when they see one. Forget the privileged classes, they ae what they are and have been for many decades. The working class numbers have sunk over the years as more and more folk have become more middle class and prosperous than their working class roots and they are the backbone of modern UK society these days. The BBC has a fair few Labour supporters amongst its staff. Check out Andrew Marr's face on Sunday.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

The media, the BBC in particular, tried to make the election about trust.

In the end, it was.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:11 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:

In the end, it was.

Really, you have our attention so can explain a little more on this TRUST soundbite.

Do you really think Johnson can be TRUSTED?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:

In the end, it was.

Really, you have our attention so can explain a little more on this TRUST soundbite.

The Great British electorate have spoken on who they trust. You simply choose not to listen.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
suiging wrote:

In the end, it was.

The Great British electorate have spoken on who they trust. You simply choose not to listen.

Having listened to Tories for decades there have been very few worth trusting.

Johnson is certainly one who you would never trust, not for one second.
More fool anyone who is fooled by that specimen.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

In hindsight, the BBC, Channel 4, and all the luvvies did Boris a huge favour. Night after night, week after week, they would interview the like of Owen Jones and Eddie Izzard, holding them up as the face of New Labour.

Old Labour was not impressed.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The 'Young' Labour vote apparently went up at the election whereas the older voters support of Labour collapsed?
There was another no mark Labour bloke on the telly this morning whining that the media over the last two years "Annihilated" Jeremy with their falsehoods and lies.

Now here's the question, you may wish to ignore this one KK, out of the two, which group use media, be it social or broadcast the most, and which group use media the least?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:25 am 
Manager
Manager

For many decades, certainly in my lifetime, the words TRUST and POLITICIANS do not gel well together as the latter can never fully gain the former, whichever party it is that is in power, or indeed, trying to get into power. It has always usually been about voting for the lesser of two or three evils and hope that the one you vote for ( and gets into power) actually delivers some of its promises and obtains a smidgen of TRUST along the way. This last election was certainly about TRUST, Corbyn and Swinson were non starters, Johnson I do not fully trust but he was the only real credible one standing up to try and move the UK forward and not keep it paralysed in the quicksand of Block Brexit parliament. Whether that TRUST given to him gradually blossoms is something we'll discover in the next couple of years as we go along.

You can TRUST him to have a right spar at the BBC for starters, election coverage bias and maybe cancelling their crutch of the Licence Fee. It is going to be a lively and bumpy ride, as always. That, you can TRUST in..

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
The 'Young' Labour vote apparently went up at the election whereas the older voters support of Labour collapsed?
There was another no mark Labour bloke on the telly this morning whining that the media over the last two years "Annihilated" Jeremy with their falsehoods and lies.

Now here's the question, you may wish to ignore this one KK, out of the two, which group use media, be it social or broadcast the most, and which group use media the least?

Its certainly a question worth asking.

Who would you trust to be telling the truth, and how do you cross check stateements made by all sides.

I gave up on television years ago for informed fair comment, likewise the radio lacks people who look deeper than the headline.
Social media, Shrops mentioned Facebook as something that carries political message, I don't do facebook.
So I seek individual journos I feel can be trusted and have depth to their argument.
Usually writers in the Independent and Guardian, plus the comments columns.
Then I would look at the issues that matter to me.
Schools, Hospitals, Policing, Economy, the balance between rich and poor income, homeless.

Then look to research the numbers regards investment and requirement before finding my own views.

How does this differ to YOU?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Its certainly a question worth asking.

Who would you trust to be telling the truth, and how do you cross check stateements made by all sides.

I gave up on television years ago for informed fair comment, likewise the radio lacks people who look deeper than the headline.
Social media, Shrops mentioned Facebook as something that carries political message, I don't do facebook.
So I seek individual journos I feel can be trusted and have depth to their argument.
Usually writers in the Independent and Guardian, plus the comments columns.
Then I would look at the issues that matter to me.
Schools, Hospitals, Policing, Economy, the balance between rich and poor income, homeless.

Then look to research the numbers regards investment and requirement before finding my own views.

How does this differ to YOU?

To me this explains to some extent why you have such a narrow point of view. Both papers tend to use left leaning journalists and whilst they look to establish credibility through their "intellectual" or "academic" approach I find that they are often writing from a perception and point of view that is not balanced. I saw articles in both papers during the election campaign where they quoted a fact or two and then went on to make a conclusion. Unfortunately, the conclusion did not necessarily follow from the facts and was based on pre-determined assumptions. For example, homelessness has risen during the Tories reign, Labour has promised to tackle homelessness, therefore homelessness will be eradicated if Labour win the election. This presupposes that all homelessness is the fault of the Tories and that Labour will have the ability to sort it out - neither of which are proven facts.

Personally I prefer to look at a wider range of opinion from all sides and try to determine the facts from the opinions and who has the most credible arguments. It is worth reading the Daily Mail from time to time equally as much as reading the Guardian. Unfortunately, I think that most people want to read what they believe will reinforce their already formed opinions and select their publications accordingly.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Question for you knocker. Seeings as though Labour only lost the election due to the the incessant smears and hate campaign mercilessly waged upon them by the wicked media. Who would you choose not to engage with in your burgeoning campaign to be the next Labour leader.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Question for you knocker. Seeings as though Labour only lost the election due to the the incessant smears and hate campaign mercilessly waged upon them by the wicked media. Who would you choose not to engage with in your burgeoning campaign to be the next Labour leader.

I would make sure NO Labour representative accepted conditions that were less favourable to those offered Tory representatives.
As an example during interviews to only accept the same number of interruptions as the other lot.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:19 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Interruptions? Hardly a hate campaign innit?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Rozza wrote:

I would make sure NO Labour representative accepted conditions that were less favourable to those offered Tory representatives.
As an example during interviews to only accept the same number of interruptions as the other lot.

From some of the interviews I saw that would require an increase in interruptions for the Labour representative.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

“Our audience has been selected to reflect the current political picture, depending on where we are, so here in England that means there are more Conservative than Labour supporters, plus a smaller number from other parties.”

https://scramnews.com/bbc-question-time ... -audience/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
“Our audience has been selected to reflect the current political picture, depending on where we are, so here in England that means there are more Conservative than Labour supporters, plus a smaller number from other parties.”

Utter nonsense. You've obviously never seen it.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

So if they have selected this way for ONE programme you need to determine whether they adopt the policy for other programmes. One swallow doesn't make a Summer.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 am 

What self-justifying drivel!

In Liverpool we do't expect a load of Tories!

But interesting that the woman who had the row with Fox (re racism) has been a contributor to the BBC. Interesting that it was HER question that got chosen to be asked. No bias there?

(And good for Fox to challenge the 'PC' brigade and their obsession with not allowing anyone to say anything with which they might disagree. The 'ritually easily offended' have had their day for too long. They should get on the terraces and meet REAL people if they want to know what bias and bigotry is really like in 21st century England!)

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
What self-justifying drivel!

In Liverpool we do't expect a load of Tories!

But interesting that the woman who had the row with Fox (re racism) has been a contributor to the BBC. Interesting that it was HER question that got chosen to be asked. No bias there?

(And good for Fox to challenge the 'PC' brigade and their obsession with not allowing anyone to say anything with which they might disagree. The 'ritually easily offended' have had their day for too long. They should get on the terraces and meet REAL people if they want to know what bias and bigotry is really like in 21st century England!)

yep -spot on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand