Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post subject: University Challenge
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 am 
Manager
Manager

While the return of the thought police is terrifying, the underlying ideology isn’t new. Anybody who accuses anybody of a crime is now automatically described as a “victim” by the (real) police, even when the allegation is unproven or mistaken. You are a victim if you say you are. It’s nihilism, pure and simple, as also demonstrated by other destructive concepts such as that of “privilege” and “intersectionality”.

If you are white or male, you are deemed to have inherent advantages which means that you cannot pronounce on matters affecting other, less advantaged groups; free speech becomes impossible as some voices are disqualified. As to intersectionality, it’s a catch-all to accuse dissidents of racism or sexism. The next step is to rewrite history and pretend that the past was the same as the present by purging the works of dead white men and replacing them.

But studying the ideas of a Western civilisation responsible for the wealth and freedom we take for granted must mean reading the books that defined it. It’s great to study much more widely – Eastern thinkers, for example – but this should be in addition, not instead of, reading the Western classics. The idea that Plato or Aristotle or Kant are less worthy because they are white men, or because they emanate from a supposedly unusually imperialistic civilisation (another fatuous claim), is despicable and reprehensible. And what has race got to do with any of this? Ideas should be colour-blind.

Young people are often wrong: learning from one’s mistakes is the whole point of being 20 years old. Academics don’t have the same excuse. Are they so weak, so contaminated by anti-Western guilt, that they no longer have the guts to stand up to this assault on their own interests? Where are the lecturers in favour of free speech? It’s easy to send tweets to a beleaguered Tory MP, but clearly much harder to stand up to the Leftist mob.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: University Challenge
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Front page race baiting. Guess where they stuck the apolog...correction.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Unbelievable. The truth is out there Captain........but where ?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:

Its shameful that the right wing press creates a rabid rabble through such propaganda feeding through to the masses.

Better regulation required.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Its shameful that the right wing press creates a rabid rabble through such propaganda feeding through to the masses.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/he ... p-10894554

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Truth is a child of the future.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:44 am 
Manager
Manager

The world that I grew up in from 1951 until the last twenty years or so was relatively straight forward with rights and wrongs, correct parenting ensured that a child would grow up learning what was acceptable and what was not. What has ensued over the last few years is a complete George Orwell 1984 scenario, his "Thought Police" in that novel are now reality today. The phrase "Hate Crime" just leaves me cold..and saddened that society has nosedived to such pathetic levels of "political correctness.."...fook me sideways, did we fight two world wars to end up like this..?? I will not be sad to depart this planet when my time comes, it will only get worse over time, sadly. Rant over.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
The world that I grew up in from 1951 until the last twenty years or so was relatively straight forward with rights and wrongs, correct parenting ensured that a child would grow up learning what was acceptable and what was not. What has ensued over the last few years is a complete George Orwell 1984 scenario, his "Thought Police" in that novel are now reality today. The phrase "Hate Crime" just leaves me cold..and saddened that society has nosedived to such pathetic levels of "political correctness.."...fook me sideways, did we fight two world wars to end up like this..?? I will not be sad to depart this planet when my time comes, it will only get worse over time, sadly. Rant over.

I would say the last half century has turned out vastly different to what I imagined it would as a teenager.

I thought there would be an end to neoliberalism by about 1990 with society moving on from a greed based materialistic culture.
Only now can I see the seeds of change that were being championed by like minded people to myself during the 1960's.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

What magnificent self belief Knocker. I haven't seen many of those sedds growing over my way yet - Just a different sort of intolerance.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:15 am 
Manager
Manager

On a World stage I think there has been massive strides made in reducing World poverty and famine but that still requires even further investment.

On a downside I think we have waited far to long to get to grips with global warming and climate change.

I think the people expect the leaders to make the right calls, but they seldom do, and from that the whole planet suffers.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/he ... p-10894554

We learn to live, when we learn to give each other, what we need to survive, together alive...or something like that.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand