Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post subject: Offensive
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 am 
Manager
Manager

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pop ... 94976.html

This man is entitled to his view. However, his opinion is so fundamentally flawed and offensive to soooo many, when does such writing deserve censure ?

Try writing a Christian view-point on gay marriage, or simple empirical data on the introduction of diseases into this country by immigration. A fact which has held true for centuries and also works horrifically the other way. You can write what you like about white, European missionaries introducing devastating plagues to ethnic tribes, try writing about diseases introduced into Europe by ethnic migration.

If writing an article against the LBGT flag will make you a pariah for offending a small minority in this country, why does this man get away with it when he offends many hundreds of thousands of folk who understand sacrifice not matter what from which race, colour or creed that sacrifice has come from.

I for one, will never buy The Independent again. I know they won't miss me, but f%$£@@ them.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Offensive
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:13 am 
Manager
Manager

I think he must have got of bed the wrong side, or made to sleep in a very smelly wet patch. A very misguided article, from a bit of plank, albeit an award winning one.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Calling the poppy a symbol of racism is a bit much. But I can understand why some people don't like the message it sends and therefore not wish to partake in wearing one.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Calling the poppy a symbol of racism is a bit much. But I can understand why some people don't like the message it sends and therefore not wish to partake in wearing one.

No worries there, tis always a personal choice. If you wear one, you chose in that manner to show your respects for the fallen and their sacrifice. If you don't feel that way fine, however, coming out with this self-serving garbage is a totally different matter.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:42 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:

Not sure I understand what 'message' it sends ...for me its one of rememberance & thanks that is all.
It's most definately not a symbol of war or aggresion or racism as the writer of this article seems to allude to.

Each to their own but I cannot and do not agree any of the sentiment in that article.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Not sure I understand what 'message' it sends ...for me its one of rememberance & thanks that is all.
It's most definately not a symbol of war or aggresion or racism as the writer of this article seems to allude to.

Each to their own but I cannot and do not agree any of the sentiment in that article.

A lot of the soldiers and battles we are 'remembering' are seen in a very different light by many countries. If you have heritage from that country, I can understand why you maybe wouldn't wish to wear one. (The footballer McClean comes to mind).

Also If I may play devils advocate, in my view it's gone a little bit past remembrance (like it use to be when I was in school) and more into the realms of the more American hero worship of the armed forces. I cannot stand the term 'our boys' which certain media outlets love to sprout. Just because you join the army doesn't automatically make you a 'hero' etc. I get I may be in the minority there :wink:

But like I said, that article is way OTT about it all.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 am 
Manager
Manager

I think there should be one Poppy, a paper one that comes in one size.

It represents something that should never be exploited.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand