Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post subject: IN COURT
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 am 
Manager
Manager

Just been reading this.

In Court watching a colleague mitigate for a chap convicted of a series of shop thefts- matter committed for reasons which remain unclear. What became clear was that his family were on the brink of starving & his children malnourished. Hence the thefts which were only of essential.items.

His barrister tells Ct that food bank cannot assist as over subscribed & he has been turned away from almost every agency. Kids teachers are providing them with hot meals at lunch out of their own pocket as free school meals not yet sorted. After 13 months of trying.

Teachers from kids school, former colleagues, and local vicar in attendance to provide references. His offending is directly linked to cuts in benefits and sanctions. He is paralysed but not deemed suitable for disability living allowance etc. Reduction in social service support

Means family have been struggling far too long. In sentencing Judge gives him an absolute discharge for this offence and says he is furious that people in the UK are living this way. Remarks were very powerful. But best line of all to prosecutor shaking his head:

“Mr X if you think for one moment I will moderate my absolute rage about this preventable, needless cruelty you are wrong.” He goes on to tell defendant that he will personally ensure food is made available for this week through his local church. Proof Judges really are human.

I do know my colleague was on back foot as none of this info re mitigation was given to him before. Def organised all his own support etc. fortunately he had some common sense. Sols made no reps to CPS either. Brutal.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: IN COURT
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:58 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Another joke in a wig.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 am 
Manager
Manager

There's a number of things I hate about the current government, but the sanctioning of benefits for mostly petty reasons, has to be the one I hate the most.

It's so dehumanising. Helped by certain sections of the media constantly pushing the narrative that they're all scroungers and not deserving of the little money they receive.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
There's a number of things I hate about the current government, but the sanctioning of benefits for mostly petty reasons, has to be the one I hate the most.

It's so dehumanising. Helped by certain sections of the media constantly pushing the narrative that they're all scroungers and not deserving of the little money they receive.

So true.

If only the working class could do joined up thinking based on the facts rather than let themselves be divided.

It costs the Tories more than they save for this rubbish, its the kind of crap they pulled in Dickensian days.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Another joke in a wig.

Yes, I assume a crime is a crime whatever the circumstances albeit, leniency can be shown when there are mitigating circumstances.

Obviously, I do not know the circumstances and if this is genuine or another Cry Wolf story.

I recall renting a Welsh Cottage some 10 years ago and the owner opposite was a former Naval Office having come through the ranks and was volunteering for SSAFA. He was brunt about having to go to the homes of what he called SCROATS who were just trying to get a handout and telling they didn't have enough money for food and yet, both Spouses were smoking 2 packs per day each. He said that he wasn't allowed to tell them the truth and had to process their claims up the chain.

Nowadays we have ex-servicemen homeless and dying on the streets. Call me old fashioned, but I do agree with some form of 'means test', but on the other hand, shouldn't we pay more attention to our own rather than sponsoring 'refugees' and giving out overseas aid. The world is fooked up, but folk need to rethink their strategy for life as nothing is guaranteed any longer and as usual, it is survival of the fittest.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

There was a vote in the Commons yesterday about free school meals for children living in poverty.

Labour voted in favour of kids getting those meals, the Tories and DUP voted to make those kids hungry.

These are the real issues for society and the real reasons for you to consider when casting a vote.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
There was a vote in the Commons yesterday about free school meals for children living in poverty.

Labour voted in favour of kids getting those meals, the Tories and DUP voted to make those kids hungry.

These are the real issues for society and the real reasons for you to consider when casting a vote.

I had free school meals for most of my secondary education knocker, how about you? How did you feel about them, did you feel empowered that the state was looking after you, or did you feel like a second?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I had free school meals for most of my secondary education knocker, how about you? How did you feel about them, did you feel empowered that the state was looking after you, or did you feel like a second?

I doubt many schools or teachers show tact, so the feeling of second during teenage years carries its own scars.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Rozza wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I doubt many schools or teachers show tact, so the feeling of second during teenage years carries its own scars.

I aint scarred mate, I had the benefit of a full belly instead of fuck all. I gained a sense of perspective from it and constantly remind my successful yet infinitely spoiled children of their good fortunes, much to their chagrin I may add.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Rozza wrote:

I aint scarred mate, I had the benefit of a full belly instead of fuck all. I gained a sense of perspective from it and constantly remind my successful yet infinitely spoiled children of their good fortunes, much to their chagrin I may add.

I didn't have free school dinners and I don't know of anyone in our Kingswinford school(s) who did either. My Dad was supposed to give me 2 Shillings and 6 Pence on a Monday to pay for my school dinners, but often he didn't have the change on a Monday (if he was there as he worked 3 shifts pattern) and I often had to embarrassingly tell my form teacher in front of the whole class that I didn't have the money, but my Dad will pay later and he always did.

The only thing I recall getting for free was the half pint or less of pasteurized milk which I loved during the colder months, but not so much during the warmer ones albeit, there were kids that didn't like the milk so one could get double or triple rations,

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
The only thing I recall getting for free was the half pint or less of pasteurized milk which I loved during the colder months, but not so much during the warmer ones albeit, there were kids that didn't like the milk so one could get double or triple rations,

I remember them well - they were 1/3 of a pint bottles. In the Summer they were often left out in the sun from when they were delivered early morning until mid morning break and they were nearly boiled by then and tasted awful. In the winter they would often freeze and a lump of frozen cream would be sticking out of the top of the bottle. It was Mrs Thatcher "Milk Snatcher" who put an end to them for most school ages.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I remember them well - they were 1/3 of a pint bottles. In the Summer they were often left out in the sun from when they were delivered early morning until mid morning break and they were nearly boiled by then and tasted awful. In the winter they would often freeze and a lump of frozen cream would be sticking out of the top of the bottle. It was Mrs Thatcher "Milk Snatcher" who put an end to them for most school ages.

I delivered millions of the little buggers in a former life. FYI Mr Back, when the milk freezes and rises taking the top off we used to call 'Candling' as in candle like, nice word ay it.

Back on topic, I myself am heartily sick of magistrates and judges and solicitors imposing and defending nonsense.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I delivered millions of the little buggers in a former life. FYI Mr Back, when the milk freezes and rises taking the top off we used to call 'Candling' as in candle like, nice word ay it.

Back on topic, I myself am heartily sick of magistrates and judges and solicitors imposing and defending nonsense.

On topic Mr. R. and you having spent more time in court than my dick has been in nefarious places (don't go there), where are these magistrates and judges drawn from nowadays - I mean, as a UK citizen, what does one have to do to become a magistrate or a judge?

Mark Twain

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand